RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

More Transactions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/11/05 10:53 am    ::: More Transactions Reply Reply with quote

CT Sun waive Jess Strom...this after picking up Carey.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/11/05 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Isn't that like six of one and half a dozen of the other? Coach T must think highly of Carey.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/11/05 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess her lack of minutes on Sunday should have been the giveaway. too bad, I liked her.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/11/05 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Total stat line for Strom in 2 exhibitions, 25 min

2-10, 1-4, 6-6, 0-2-2, 5 assists, 4 pfs, 3 steals, 0 TOs, 0 blk, 13 pts
WNBA Efficiency Rating 15.0

WTF???

Don't know what T was thinking with this one.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/11/05 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brigade, why was Carey cut so fast in Phoenix anyway? and why is Rita still there by the way?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/11/05 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually, Carey felt the situation in Phoenix was not right for her. It was her decision.

Williams was tearing up training camp, but didn't demonstrate those abilities last night.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/11/05 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Actually, Carey felt the situation in Phoenix was not right for her. It was her decision.

Williams was tearing up training camp, but didn't demonstrate those abilities last night.

Both very interesting. So Carey must see something she likes in CT I guess, or no one else has come knocking.

If Rita was doing so well, why did she only get 5 minutes last night Cam, any idea?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/11/05 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having 3 turnovers in 5 minutes didn't help her case for more playing time last night...

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/11/05 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Carey liked the situtation in Phoenix until Coach T. called? Then she changed her mind about liking the situation in Phoenix because she liked the one in CT more?

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/11/05 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What young player would not want to play with the team assembled in Phoenix? Who better to learn from?

I have certainly found myself in jobs where it wasn't a good fit and then decided to leave and pursue another opportunity, so the same must be true in women's basketball. Thing is, there are hundreds of law firms for me to choose from, but not many positions for basketball players.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/11/05 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Strom's injury still nagging her? Could that have been part of the decision?

I really like her and I think she could help a team plenty. I hope she ends up somewhere. Is Seattle still looking for a back-up for Sue?

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/11/05 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Is Strom's injury still nagging her? Could that have been part of the decision?

I don't think so. Strom was very active in the first exhibition. dtsnms, you saw the game. Did Jess look like she was favoring an ankle?

Quote:
I really like her and I think she could help a team plenty. I hope she ends up somewhere. Is Seattle still looking for a back-up for Sue?

Seattle would be a great fit for Jess. She and Tanisha Wright can play off each other blindfolded. Whether that would work in Seattle, I don't know, but at PSU they were a scoring machine.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/11/05 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Seattle would be a great fit for Jess. She and Tanisha Wright can play off each other blindfolded. Whether that would work in Seattle, I don't know, but at PSU they were a scoring machine"

My thoughts exactly!

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/11/05 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
"Seattle would be a great fit for Jess. She and Tanisha Wright can play off each other blindfolded. Whether that would work in Seattle, I don't know, but at PSU they were a scoring machine"

My thoughts exactly!

I thought the same about Strom and Brungo....

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/11/05 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Strom and Wright are a different situation than Brungo. They are best friends who lived together all through high school and college. The relationship is more that of sisters than teammates.

Of course, who knows how big of a role Wright will play in Seattle.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/11/05 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought the same about Strom and Brungo....

Its different, dt. That was Mazzante's team. Brungo stepped up in the tourney but was never the focal point of an offense like Maz or Wright..

Strom and Wright were Penn State's offense last season, and knew each other games long before Penn State. As PuMatty said, they grew up together.

Last edited by bluewolfvii on 05/11/05 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 05/11/05 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

May 11
The Sacramento Monarchs waived Carly Wilson.
The Washington Mystics waived Tashia Morehead.

PostPosted: 05/11/05 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
May 11
The Sacramento Monarchs waived Carly Wilson.

As Keegan predicted...

Keegan/Luuuc/Hellcat...any chance she may develop into a W player?

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/11/05 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm bummed. Isn't Carly Wilson the gal who loves to shop? Shopaholics stick together.

Yes, Keegan said in his blog the other day he didn't think Carly would stick -- not this going, anyway. But Whisenant has been saying good things about Hollie Grima.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/11/05 1:12 pm    ::: Strom, etc Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to see Strom and Wright together in Seattle. And no, Strom and Brungo aren't the same thing at all.

Has Jamie Carey played one consistent game all year? (That's a real question, not a rhetorical one: it may be that I've only seen Texas in games where she's had an off night, e.g. loss to Connecticut, loss to K-State in B12 semis.)

Conlon's chances of making the Sun just went up. I think.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/11/05 1:16 pm    ::: Re: Strom, etc Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
I'd love to see Strom and Wright together in Seattle. And no, Strom and Brungo aren't the same thing at all.

Has Jamie Carey played one consistent game all year? (That's a real question, not a rhetorical one: it may be that I've only seen Texas in games where she's had an off night, e.g. loss to Connecticut, loss to K-State in B12 semis.)

Conlon's chances of making the Sun just went up. I think.

I think I must not have made my point clear; I know Wright and Strom are different than Brungo and Strom. Iwas just saying I had hopes for a successful reunion between them, not that they would both light it up or were as close as Wright and Strom.

Carey is cut from the mold Mike T likes in his reserves, solid, efficient, makes the routine plays, doesn't freak under pressure. Look at last year's role playing rookies: Brungo, Le'Coe, Jen D. Nothing spectacular, efficient.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/11/05 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know if this was posted; article about Carey being signed with quotes from Mike T.

http://www.theday.com/eng/web/news/re.aspx?re=D0B9B06D-B934-4C20-A754-97C1CB1DC331

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/11/05 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Carey is cut from the mold Mike T likes in his reserves, solid, efficient, makes the routine plays, doesn't freak under pressure. Look at last year's role playing rookies: Brungo, Le'Coe, Jen D. Nothing spectacular, efficient.

I can understand why he picked up Carey, dts, its that cool and calm under fire factor he's looking for to complement his 2nd year starter. No mistakes, that's his mantra. I just can't understand why he cut Strom before taking a look at JC, and why Strom before Maria Conlon..

Jess has outplayed the other backup guard candidates, withstood the pressure in the first game scoring 11 pts in the last 6 minutes with the game on the line, hasn't turned the ball over, has been more active in terms of making plays and steals...

Of course there's the little matter he sees the players in practice and I don't Wink , I'm just saying based on stats its a decision that makes no sense..unless Thibault's been 'told' to keep a UConn player over a non-UConn player, other things being equal..or not..

(Yes I realize that sounds ridicuous-- even I don't believe it- but also it was ridiculous to see that survey in the Courant whether readers would be more apt to attend a game if the Suns kept Conlon..)

So what do you think? Is there salesmanship affoot e regard to keeping Conlon part of camp as long as possible?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/11/05 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uncasville...capital city of SWGPG nation.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/11/05 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
I can understand why he picked up Carey, dts, its that cool and calm under fire factor he's looking for to complement his 2nd year starter. No mistakes, that's his mantra. I just can't understand why he cut Strom before taking a look at JC, and why Strom before Maria Conlon..

Jess has outplayed the other backup guard candidates, withstood the pressure in the first game scoring 11 pts in the last 6 minutes with the game on the line, hasn't turned the ball over, has been more active in terms of making plays and steals...

Of course there's the little matter he sees the players in practice and I don't Wink , I'm just saying based on stats its a decision that makes no sense..unless Thibault's been 'told' to keep a UConn player over a non-UConn player, other things being equal..or not..

(Yes I realize that sounds ridicuous-- even I don't believe it- but also it was ridiculous to see that survey in the Courant whether readers would be more apt to attend a game if the Suns kept Conlon..)

So what do you think? Is there salesmanship affoot e regard to keeping Conlon part of camp as long as possible?

Anything is possible, but I do doubt it in this case. First, we're done with home exhibition games. We have two on the road, and then the first two games of the season on the road. Home opener is Phoenix, sellout, then SASS which is girl scout day, then Seattle, sellout, then back on the road. So the attendance factor won't matter until June 18th! Plus, if everyone wanted to see Maria, where we they for the first two games? We didn't draw 5k for either, so I don't think the tribe believes that poll one bit.

Something must be up in practice with Strom vs. Conlon. Because game wise, I thought Strom was Conlon's equal if not superior in game one, and she didn't get much run in game 2. I've said all along I thought Strom was going to make the team, so I'm as surprised as you are. I still don't see Conlon making it; now I think Carey and Jen D take the spots.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: