RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

My Thoughts on the Sun-Sting Game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:40 pm    ::: My Thoughts on the Sun-Sting Game Reply Reply with quote

First, the missing - TSB looking mighty fine in street clothes, no Feaster, no Teena Miller for Charlotte which combined to put out a starting lineup including McCarville and Jia Perkins. CT started big, with Keesh at 2 guard, Wyckoff at 3, Asjha 4, and Taj 5 - no Margo, and no KT for 1st half. Seemed like she got tired of sitting and decided to play the 2nd half.

Sting is VERY disorganized right now. Tangela and Dawn together committed two turnovers on inbound/passes in the backcourt. McCarville, well, Defense will be a teensy weensy problem. When Asjha Jones scores ten points in the first 8-9 minutes, you've got a problem there! Back to back travels to start the game. The game was too fast for her, plain and simple. Granted it's a first taste, but that's what I saw. I certainly wouldn't write her off, but she needs time. When you add Sheri Sam on the wing, you could see Keesh smile at the opening tip. First shot by Keesh, 3! She had 5 in no time flat and then coasted. The lack of a 2 hurt also; Perkins didn't look comfortable at the 2 beside Dawn at all; I don't know why Mazz didn't start, and she didn't play much at all. Tyger Lewis didn't play that much either it seemed.

Let's see, Jess Moore, love you, see you on the waiver wire. Maria Conlon, the exact opposite of the first game. She sucked out there today. No other way to describe it. They tried to let her run the point at the end of the game, much like Strom did in the first game, Tyger ate her up. Turnover, turnover, turnover, three point game. Anna Montannananananana, not as good today. Didn't handle the ball well under pressure in the later parts of the game, didn't do much else. Lacy, while I hear is doing real well in practice, did nothing again today. Strom didn't play very much, don't know what that means. Summerton was very good today. Hustled, went for the ball, scored pretty comfortably and eaily...except for the foul line where I think she's now 2-10. I think there's a spot for her still though. Brungo I would be concerned, I'm not seeing any improvement. She's still tentative on offense, and disappears for long stretches. Jen D. looked more confident than last year, and comfortable, but she's no threat at all on offense, and doesn't even look to shoot. I still like Strom as Lindsay's backup.

On the positive side, Keesh looked good, Taj looked good, Douglas looked awesome, Lindsay a few unreal passes again, and Asjha played probably the best game I've ever seen her play. She even showed range. Brooke buried two threes, and looks like she'll be comfortable playing the 3.

For Charlotte, Dawn is Dawn. Always unflappable and cool, the consumate leader. Tangela is still not sure where to play, with McCarville down low, it looked like Tangela kept trying to post, but then ended up at the 3 point line. Sam was a black hole. It got to her it went up. She played pretty well offensively, and, her usual not much on defense, but she didn't get lit up. Mazzante looked okay, but she doesn't get the ball enough in shooting positions, too often she had to pass it to try to make plays.

In general, it was a pretty boring game. Sun opened the big lead, and had the reserves give a lot of points against two or three of the others starters again. Again they held on. Charlotte still burns most of the 30 second clock, and the refs are still in preseason. Plus my seats sucked compared to my Arena ones, and worst of all the court is inside a hockey rink so there is ZERO chance of autographs. All those new babies and no place for them to go. Sad I'll have to wait until Charlotte comes in during the season.

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:46 pm    ::: Re: My Thoughts on the Sun-Sting Game Reply Reply with quote

Was Margo there at all?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:47 pm    ::: Re: My Thoughts on the Sun-Sting Game Reply Reply with quote

bigbri131014 wrote:
Was Margo there at all?

didn't see any 7 foot poles!

bigbri131014

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:48 pm    ::: Re: My Thoughts on the Sun-Sting Game Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
bigbri131014 wrote:
Was Margo there at all?

didn't see any 7 foot poles!

LMAO

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:49 pm    ::: Re: My Thoughts on the Sun-Sting Game Reply Reply with quote

I hate games involving Charlotte...they are so boring!! It's like watching Villanova, but with more athleticism.

I agree with everything you said. Excellent recap.

Right now, I see the roster for the Sun as:

Guards: Whalen, Douglas, Strom, Derevjanik
Forwards: Sales, McWilliams-Franklin, Jones, Wycoff, Summerton
Centers: Willingham, Dydek

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:50 pm    ::: Re: My Thoughts on the Sun-Sting Game Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Right now, I see the roster for the Sun as:

Guards: Whalen, Douglas, Strom, Derevjanik
Forwards: Sales, McWilliams-Franklin, Jones, Wycoff, Summerton
Centers: Willingham, Dydek

I can see Montananannanna getting an injury....

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:52 pm    ::: Re: My Thoughts on the Sun-Sting Game Reply Reply with quote

With that name, she'll sprain her tongue introducing herself!

Keegan

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:53 pm    ::: Re: My Thoughts on the Sun-Sting Game Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
Tangela is still not sure where to play, with McCarville down low, it looked like Tangela kept trying to post, but then ended up at the 3 point line. Sam was a black hole. It got to her it went up. She played pretty well offensively, and, her usual not much on defense, but she didn't get lit up.

I think Sheri might have a better years number-wise because there is no obvious offensive option ahead of her so she can afford to be a black hole. In Seattle, she was clearly the 4th option on offense (all the scraps were mostly taken by Black Hole #1 Betty). Sheri functions a lot better when she's the focus but team-wise, her teams haven't done so well when that's the case.

It will be interesting to see Tangela this year. She will have to rebound more and play more post D whereas in Sac, she could afford to have Yo and DeMya do most of the dirty work. No rebounds in that game was not a good start.
pilight

PostPosted: 05/08/05 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be reluctant to predict anyone to have a better offensive season when they're playing for Trudi Lacey, let alone doing so with Tangela Smith on her team. Smith has led Sacto in shots taken in four of the last five seasons, usually by a wide margin. Of course the one time she led them in points was the time they missed the playoffs...

PostPosted: 05/08/05 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a big part of the reason that I am far from sold on Charlotte. I wouldn't even be surprised if they missed the play-offs altogether. Yeah, they aquired a few decent veteran players -- but none of them are very good, let alone great. This is a team filled with mid-level players, and the W is a league where stars when games.

styxfan22

PostPosted: 05/08/05 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw Jen D. play a few times in college, and she was a terrific scorer, and very aggressive going to the basket. Is Mike T. telling her to just set up other shooters?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/09/05 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

styxfan22 wrote:
I saw Jen D. play a few times in college, and she was a terrific scorer, and very aggressive going to the basket. Is Mike T. telling her to just set up other shooters?

I can't quite figure it out; definitely her first job is to be playmaker and set people up, but she seems reluctant to look for the penetration or open shot. Strom and Conlon both took the open shot when it presented itself, which as you know you've GOT to take to loosen things up. Jen doesn't seem to do that; she took no shots yesterday at all. Without it, the offense seems to stagnate.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/09/05 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like a preseason game in every sense of the word. In terms of individuals, good to see KT Douglas back on track and Asjha out the gate smoking. Will be interesting to see how Mike T. rotates posts with soon to arrive Margo. Sun already look to be better upfront with Taj at PF, Jones playing with confidence, hard working Le'Coe, and Brooke Wyckoff.

Don't know why Conlon had 12 min and Strom 6 min. As a Strom fan, hope this means Mike T. was deciding between Maria and Jen D. He already said the Sun's pgs don't need to score, just don't make mistakes. In that sense I think Jen D. is a frontrunner for one of the two open spots.

Saw on courant.com that when asked if the Sun retaining Maria Conlon would make them more apt to attend a Sun's game, 58% of respondents said yes. I doubt Mike T. puts stock in such surveys but if he cuts Strom, I hope he does so soon so she can catch on with someone else.

gopherfan

PostPosted: 05/09/05 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the report dtsnms! It sound like the sun are doing really well. As for McCarville give her some time to adjust and she will do better. Her being jittery probably played a big part of her not doing so well yesterday. I surely would like to see Janel get a lot of minutes out there but if and when she dose get these minutes she needs to work on her fouling trouble. In do time every thing else will fall in place for her.

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/09/05 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
Sounds like a preseason game in every sense of the word. In terms of individuals, good to see KT Douglas back on track and Asjha out the gate smoking. Will be interesting to see how Mike T. rotates posts with soon to arrive Margo. Sun already look to be better upfront with Taj at PF, Jones playing with confidence, hard working Le'Coe, and Brooke Wyckoff.

Don't know why Conlon had 12 min and Strom 6 min. As a Strom fan, hope this means Mike T. was deciding between Maria and Jen D. He already said the Sun's pgs don't need to score, just don't make mistakes. In that sense I think Jen D. is a frontrunner for one of the two open spots.

Saw on courant.com that when asked if the Sun retaining Maria Conlon would make them more apt to attend a Sun's game, 58% of respondents said yes. I doubt Mike T. puts stock in such surveys but if he cuts Strom, I hope he does so soon so she can catch on with someone else.

You're right blue, he doesn't put stock in stuff like that. I think the minutes really were checking out the situation. In game 1 vs Minnie Strom ran the point at the end, in game 2 it was Conlon. I think he was comparing is all; believe me, Strom won. I think Jess will make the team along with Jen D. Conlon really hurt herself yesterday with her performance, she was just bad.

You know it's preseason when down 5, ten seconds to go, Charlotte clearly ran a play to try to get a last second, game winning two. They made no effort to win, they used it as a good chance to try a last second play for Sam. Well, whenever it went to Sam the play was for Sam if you know what I mean Wink

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/09/05 10:26 am    ::: Sam Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
You know it's preseason when down 5, ten seconds to go, Charlotte clearly ran a play to try to get a last second, game winning two. They made no effort to win, they used it as a good chance to try a last second play for Sam. Well, whenever it went to Sam the play was for Sam if you know what I mean Wink

That's why she doesn't live in Seattle. Nor in Minnesota. (Well, that's one reason.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: