RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Liberty preseason attendance
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 05/09/05 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Betty Lennox must be on crack! The Storm over the Yankees!! NEVER!! Maybe Betty could've gone to the Stadium too!!

As for Coker wearing #23, if she's got Sue's permission then I'm good. I honestly thought that number had been retired....It was VERY strange seeing someone else wearing Sue's number! Sad

Admiral_Needa wrote:
That and wasn't there a big Yankee game vs Oakland too? Question I think at the same game time too... That couldn't have helped Confused I think I'll have to wait to see the attendance vs Detroit on Sunday Arrow

Quote:
Alison (Newington,CT): I've got tickets to the Yankees game tomorrow..should I dump them and go see you guys play tomorrow?

Betty Lennox: Come see, us, we're the world champs, we're more important than them!

Hamden, CT: Hey LJ - SSShhh don't tell anyone in Connecticut that even the Suns are my favorite team you are my favorite player. And has anyone ever told you that you look like Cate Blanchett?

Lauen Jackson: Yes, I get that alot. Thank you.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatWNBA?event_id=8073

KeiraNY wrote:
I'm going to go out on limb here & say that we've never had a pre-season game the day before Mother's Day....most of our pre-season is a bit later if I'm not mistaken...

Regardless, pre-season is just that pre-season. If we have only 5K come end of June, then we've hit the attendance crapper & ther Mystakes will have another "attendance banner" hanging from their rafters Smile

BCBG25 wrote:
More stats:
In 2003, the preseason game against Houston @ the Garden had 13,131 in attendance.
In 2002, also against Houston and on the same date (05/18 ), the attendance was 13,005.
All those years, I believe the Liberty attendance has declined. Not counting the whole RCMH exile from last year, this looks like a trend indeed.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/09/05 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Technically, none of the Liberty numbers are retired. They're merely out of circulation. I think the Sparks did the same thing with Penny Toler's #11 (with the exception of Spoon borrowing it for that year we're going to pretend didn't exist).

I believe Michele Timms's #7 is retired for the Mercury. (Going through that ultra-cool Mercury photo gallery of everyone, Pettis's #32 seems to have been out of circulation in the last few years, too Wink)

Some numbers do NOT belong on the new-design jerseys, plain and simple. Someone's gotta find out if Coker's using that number with authorization.

Meanwhile, back on the topical ranch, yeah, I think a lot of fans have had it with the *way* decisions are being made. On the one hand, there's less of a chance for casual or potential fans to find out about the team because of less promotion. On the other hand, Blaze's rather cavalier treatment of the old guard is a turnoff to longtime fans. I'm one of three STH I know who dropped their subscription this year, and each of us had a different reason: for me, it was the Tari debacle and the way the Spoon thing was handled last year (hanging out with the Board Junkies has given me more of an insight into that); for my mother, it was Tari, but more the treatment of VJ- she nearly flipped her lid when the Yo-for-VJ rumor came up; for my beloved boyfriend, it was Blaze, but more the Dolans and the way they've handled things. I'm thinking that having this many things wrong is BAD for a team.

PostPosted: 05/09/05 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Pettis's #32 seems to have been out of circulation in the last few years

They're probably worried that the number is jinxed and the person wearing it would starting missing layups.
herrade

PostPosted: 05/10/05 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Meanwhile, back on the topical ranch, yeah, I think a lot of fans have had it with the *way* decisions are being made.

You think? Not everyone is as rabid as we are. Plenty of folks just show up at games and go home, not investing countless ridiculous hours searching out gossip and rumors. Last year, when we were passing out the "I heart Tari" signs, my impression was that few people were really invested in all this garbage.

I'm not going to hypothesize about what might have caused the drop -- there are clearly many, many factors, from seasonal to holiday to fan interest. I would just refrain from imputing the habits and opinions of this select community onto to wider fanbase.

PostPosted: 05/10/05 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Meanwhile, back on the topical ranch, yeah, I think a lot of fans have had it with the *way* decisions are being made.

You think? Not everyone is as rabid as we are. Plenty of folks just show up at games and go home, not investing countless ridiculous hours searching out gossip and rumors. Last year, when we were passing out the "I heart Tari" signs, my impression was that few people were really invested in all this garbage.

I'm not going to hypothesize about what might have caused the drop -- there are clearly many, many factors, from seasonal to holiday to fan interest. I would just refrain from imputing the habits and opinions of this select community onto to wider fanbase.

I agree with herrade; not being a Lib fan or STH I didn't want to be the first to say it, but I think the mother's day, weather, Yankees, etc. are all bigger factors. I would say don't be concerned until the season starts. It was sad no one was at the Sun preseason games, but I'll worry if they don't turn out for the season.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/10/05 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herrade wrote:

Who says I was? I used to hang out with a whole passel of fans before games, none of whom were Board Junkies, most of whom didn't hang out online anywhere- and many of them were confused and PO'd about Blaze's (and Patty's) decisionmaking, and yeah, some of them either dropped their subscriptions or indicated that they were less interested in the team.

Still, you're right that there were a lot of factors. Lousy timing, lousy planning, decent enough weather that it was all right to be spending time outside, the Yankee game... (Though 99 times out of 100, I'd pick a Lib-Storm game over one of three Yanks-A's games, but I'm weird.) I do suspect fan interest/support is a bigger factor than some of y'all are giving it credit for. We'll see on the 22nd.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: