RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Liberty preseason attendance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/08/05 1:40 pm    ::: Liberty preseason attendance Reply Reply with quote

Last year, LA @ NY had 11,180 in attendance.
This year, Seattle @ NY had 5,583 in attendance.
That's roughly half. One would claim the Seattle game would be more appealing (i.e., defending champs, local girl Sue Bird, etc). Last year there was the whole Spoon/Whitmore first game against the Liberty factor too.
I am trying not to read too much into a preseason game and also I am not ready to declare this a trend that's going to repeat itself in the regular season, but knowing some fans who didn't renew their STs, it might as well be.
And that's not a good sign...looks like some fans finally had it with the FFO and its BS.

PostPosted: 05/08/05 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More stats:
In 2003, the preseason game against Houston @ the Garden had 13,131 in attendance.
In 2002, also against Houston and on the same date (05/18 ), the attendance was 13,005.
All those years, I believe the Liberty attendance has declined. Not counting the whole RCMH exile from last year, this looks like a trend indeed.

PostPosted: 05/08/05 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Were those hot Liberty grannies there, shakin' their thang

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/08/05 4:49 pm    ::: wow, that's awful Reply Reply with quote

I wonder what happened. Did RCMH demolish the walkup business, since most of the people who would have purchased single-game tickets to late-season Lib games simply would not have been able to buy a seat, and that those people simply lost the habit of attending Liberty games? Or did the Lib change the way in which it counts preseason attendance (so that, for example, STH aren't counted unless they show up)? I'm betting on the first, more depressing possibility. Yuck.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/08/05 5:03 pm    ::: Re: wow, that's awful Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
I wonder what happened. Did RCMH demolish the walkup business, since most of the people who would have purchased single-game tickets to late-season Lib games simply would not have been able to buy a seat, and that those people simply lost the habit of attending Liberty games? Or did the Lib change the way in which it counts preseason attendance (so that, for example, STH aren't counted unless they show up)? I'm betting on the first, more depressing possibility. Yuck.

I'd bet on the second. They pulled over 11k in three of the four post-RCMH home games last year including 15k in the regular season finale.

Preseason attendance is beyond meaningless in any event.

PostPosted: 05/08/05 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm going to go out on limb here & say that we've never had a pre-season game the day before Mother's Day....most of our pre-season is a bit later if I'm not mistaken...

Regardless, pre-season is just that pre-season. If we have only 5K come end of June, then we've hit the attendance crapper & ther Mystakes will have another "attendance banner" hanging from their rafters Smile

BCBG25 wrote:
More stats:
In 2003, the preseason game against Houston @ the Garden had 13,131 in attendance.
In 2002, also against Houston and on the same date (05/18 ), the attendance was 13,005.
All those years, I believe the Liberty attendance has declined. Not counting the whole RCMH exile from last year, this looks like a trend indeed.

Hoopsta1415

PostPosted: 05/08/05 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking that the loss of Lib vets (T-spoon and Phillips) might play a role in attendance

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 05/08/05 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

T-Spoon no. We're over that one already! Phillips perhaps. I know there were a LOT of people pissed off about the way the organization disposed of her...plus the sub-par season we had last year didn't help any.

Hoopsta1415 wrote:
I'm thinking that the loss of Lib vets (T-spoon and Phillips) might play a role in attendance

pilight

PostPosted: 05/08/05 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
plus the sub-par season we had last year didn't help any.

Yeah, finishing second in the east and making the conference finals is real suckage. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 05/08/05 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Excuses, excuses, excuses. Fans on the board are a lot different than fans in the stands. If you think the organization hasn't noticed the drop off and weren't po'ed yesterday, wrong. I spent most of the 2nd half talking to a member of their FFO and they weren't too pleased. They sure weren't looking around at a 1/4 filled arena and saying it's only preseason when they brought in 11k last year. Mother's Day didn't keep away 6,000 people.

"We're over that already" Hmmm, the organization doesn't seem to feel that way. Wink For the last 2 offseasons, there's been no hob nobbing with politicos at City Hall, no Sylvia's, no 106th and Park, no Rucker, no gossip from Wendy Williams or Page 6, no Lib player at industry events. The prevailing belief is Spoon brought in a lot of casual fans, walk ups and part timers. Even in 2003 her jersey was in the top 5 league wide and neck and neck with Becky at Double Teamed. She was also accessible to the organization during the offseason to promote the team to an array of audiences ad nauseum whereas Becky's in between Colorado and NY and doesn't have the connections, ie BET, that Spoon had. Not for nothing, but why do you think they keep Kym around? To go to Kiss FM, WBLS, etc. There's also no Long Island Sue who brought in her own couple of thousands.

OTOH, Becky appeals to the kids in the same way as those 2, and the families, so they lost nothing there. But the FFO directly attributes a drop off in attendance to lack of the casual interest that Spoon and Sue once brought in either through promotion or their relationships with the NY media, many of whom just doesn't seem to care about the team anymore now that there aren't any quotable players around. Even Zagoria's slowed his roll.

As for Tari, that was the straw that broke some 2004 season ticket holders backs. But best believe STH sales were down after Rebecca left, in 2002 after Sue left and after 2003 after Spoon left. Most originals weren't dismayed with the dismissal of the vets so much as they weren't feeling the direction of the team. One thing to understand is that the team has always been solid in walk ups, weekend plans, etc and that's what's down. There's major worry at 2 Penn about the attendance.

They had a better record and made the playoffs last year so it has nothing to do with what's going on on the court. Case in point, the increase in attendance toward the end of the season. It was because of walk ups directly BECAUSE of the team's record, the August heat and the press RCMH provided. Even still the numbers were inflated ever so slightly since some people didn't get the don't-count-giveaways-anymore memo.

Blaze has a little something up her sleeve though that should please some disenfranchised Lib fans.
accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/08/05 8:40 pm    ::: Richman Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone in ordinary, non-Board-Junkie fanland care about Rutgers alum Rebecca Richman? if the Lib keep her around, will that boost attendance?

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 05/08/05 8:57 pm    ::: Re: Richman Reply Reply with quote

I think that if they keep Monique Coker around, maybe she can go to Hot 97 & WBLS and 106 & Park to promote the Liberty to the younger basketball fans. Being that she's from the BX, the stations might be interested in the local player.

Last edited by Str8_Butta on 05/08/05 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 05/08/05 9:59 pm    ::: Re: Richman Reply Reply with quote

There were a few people with Rutgers shirts there yesterday, but no, Rebecca Richman won't help w/ the attendance at all. If it was Cappie or even Chelsea Newton, maybe (and that's a stretch). Richman was a bench player at Rutgers, she's not the "star" of the team...

I must agree with FBC...Tari leaving was the last straw for a LOT of people! It was deserted yesterday and I hope it picks up, but overall people have had it with Blaze!!!

accommodatingly wrote:
Does anyone in ordinary, non-Board-Junkie fanland care about Rutgers alum Rebecca Richman? if the Lib keep her around, will that boost attendance?

BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/08/05 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight, I just didn't throw this out there to be dismissed. There are serious implications about attendance in the Liberty's case. One, they might be changing how they calculate actual attendance figures, not considering giveaways, etc and that means they COULD have been inflating attendance numbers and using creative accounting. OTOH, this just might be the beginning of the end for Blaze. She got away with a lot of shit because the team had it going financially. Cablevision is in serious financial difficulties and Good Ole Charles is dying to get rid of some of his assets, aka The Garden, and that includes the teams. As far as I know, Jim Dolan is hell bent on keeping his toys, but daddy is losing his patience. If the Liberty is not strong at the gate, not all is forgiven...

PostPosted: 05/08/05 11:38 pm    ::: one way to tell Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Pilight, I just didn't throw this out there to be dismissed. There are serious implications about attendance in the Liberty's case. One, they might be changing how they calculate actual attendance figures, not considering giveaways, etc and that means they COULD have been inflating attendance numbers and using creative accounting. OTOH, this just might be the beginning of the end for Blaze. She got away with a lot of shit because the team had it going financially. Cablevision is in serious financial difficulties and Good Ole Charles is dying to get rid of some of his assets, aka The Garden, and that includes the teams. As far as I know, Jim Dolan is hell bent on keeping his toys, but daddy is losing his patience. If the Liberty is not strong at the gate, not all is forgiven...

BCBG, other FBC members: did you show up for the preseason game last year (the one that drew 11K)? Did the arena look empty this year, compared to last year's preseason?

Sounds like it did. This is worrisome.

CRASH

PostPosted: 05/09/05 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:

Blaze has a little something up her sleeve though that should please some disenfranchised Lib fans.

As a "disenfranchized Lib fan" This is not soothing, it's scary!!!!

I don't blame the players for the disconnection!! It's NOT their fault they were asked to play positions that they cannot play. It's NOT their fault the "stars" were sent elswhere. The team needs a rebounder inside that can score. In the off season did FFO go get one? NO... they started a "senior dance team"!!! Coyle is now trying a run and gun, ok. Problem, that I see, when the Bigs-Boranova, Wauters, and Donaphin- return home, are they going to be able to keep up?

I support the team. I just wish Blaze would keep her, "Up the sleeve stuff there - Up her sleeve! I'm not sure the team, nor us fans can handle ANY MORE OF BLAZE'S "SURPRISES"!!!!!

After all it was her surprises that has "disenfranchized" us to begin with!!!!

If there is a attendance problem, they have no one to blame but themselves!!!
Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/09/05 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Passing along a geekout question from the most important geek in my life...

For those as *were* there, who *wasn't* there? Was the crowd even more heavily families and kids than usual? Or was it the demographic that dares not speak its name in certain circles? Or was the dropoff more or less even?

As an aside, CRASH makes a point I completely agree with. It's not about the players. That's not why I dropped my season tickets, or why I'm clinging to the edge of Liberty fanship as my sig line says. It's the people above them who make most of the decisions and generally make them badly. Economic pressure may be the only way to bring them back to reality.

PostPosted: 05/09/05 8:44 am    ::: Re: one way to tell Reply Reply with quote

Yes, I did show up last year, the year before that and this year too. It didn't look that empty, but there were certainly less people than last year. Although my section was pretty empty last year at this time too then it picked up.

Who knows?

accommodatingly wrote:
BCBG25 wrote:

BCBG, other FBC members: did you show up for the preseason game last year (the one that drew 11K)? Did the arena look empty this year, compared to last year's preseason?

Sounds like it did. This is worrisome.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/09/05 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know how the other "offsite" games are doing, but there were 4,000 in Bridgeport yesterday for the sun game.

bigsportzbabe

PostPosted: 05/09/05 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Although there are many valid observations in this thread, IMO the drop in attendance has absolutely NOTHING TO DO WITH THE LIBERTY. I think it is a direct result of of the Dolan`s campaign against the building of the Westside stadium and convention center.

Even vehement opponents of the stadium plans were turned off by the tawdry, sleazy scare tactics used by the Dolans who were painfully obviously just trying to protect their midtown sports monopoly. Jim Dolan masquerading as a Civic minded New Yorker was certainly too much for me to bear!

I think that the resultant backlash is an unconscious (or perhaps conscious) boycott of MSG and all things Dolan

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 05/09/05 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:

Jim isn't selling the Garden. Charles wants to dissolve some assets, but all it would mean is that Jim buys the entire MSG enterprise, (teams, buildings and networks) from Cablevision. The Garden would still be owned by a Dolan, just not the DolanS. Jim's not giving up that easily. He's in this for the long haul unless someone shows up with a billion+, ($500mil for the Knicks alone at a bargain) or the West Side scenario gets him run out of town by City Hall. The only feasible alternative is for the WSS and the new Brooklyn Nets arena to be built by 2008 and competing with the Garden and RCMH for acts, conventions and entertainment. Given the high rent the Dolans charge, if the owners of the WSS and Nets charged more competitive prices, they could dramatically cut into MSG's profits at which point, Dolan may really want to sell. But all that talk the last couple of months was just that, talk. He's selling his toys back to himself and getting rid of all the failing business ventures his dad championed all these years.

The change in how attendance is calculated affected the team somewhat, but I think less people were actually showing up. It's a matter of how you want to count it, tickets sold or tickets scanned?

As for blaming the players, I don't see anyone doing that. But when it comes to Blaze, as long as Lib fans and the media keep being so polite, she's not going anywhere. Anyone that Dolan has ever given the axe (except for his undeserving minimum wage employees) was shown the door because of pressure from the fans and the media and that's the only way you're getting rid of Blaze. Realistically, what has she done wrong in a business sense? She's gotten to the Finals 4 times, been among the leaders in attendance, knows her place, doesn't rock the boat and does ok financially. She's got clout with the league as well. Dolan's worried about his Knicks this year and getting the Rangers back on the ice. The Libs could go 4-30. Blaze will still be around next year. She went along with RCMH and canned Richie pretty quick to show what a good soldier she was. She bought herself a losing season(record and/or financially) if necessary. The only thing fans can hope for is that she gets bored, or wants the challenge of building up an expansion team.

As for Lib attendance, the Dolan Hate Theory is a good one, but it doesn't explain how the Knicks, whom Dolan is most closely associated with, still pull in over 17k as bad as they suck. If fans were boycotting all things Dolan, wouldn't it behoove them to start there? As many people that hate Dolan, there are many more who hate Sharpton, Bloomberg, etc and also don't want the WSS built. Dolan's not the only ass in this.

Also, you would think that with Lib games not being shown on Time Warner, possibly at all this year, the team would experience an increase in attendance especially on weekends, but the numbers for future games don't show that. Even the boycott against Lib merchandise and concessions by fans upset with the team's gay/lesbian policies shouldn't affect attendance since that was aimed at STH's and people still going to the games. Either way, 5k looks and sounds bad no matter what the time of year to those running the joint. Especially when there's no telling how many showed up to see you or Long Island Sue II.

As for what Blaze has up her sleeve, don't worry it's not a personnel move. Coker's got to make the team and become known before she can hit up the radio stations. She's also got to give up that number.
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 05/09/05 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:

Coker's got to make the team and become known before she can hit up the radio stations. She's also got to give up that number.

I couldn't believe she was wearing Sue's #, I thought that got retired?

el_barrio_96_125

PostPosted: 05/09/05 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Str8_Butta33 wrote:
f_blaze_coalition wrote:

Coker's got to make the team and become known before she can hit up the radio stations. She's also got to give up that number.

I couldn't believe she was wearing Sue's #, I thought that got retired?

So did everyone else. It was #34, #11 and #23. Hell, she wouldn't even let anyone use Spoon's lockers last year. Maybe she's got a 2 year statute of limitations. LOL This could mean a few things:
1) Coke's obviously not making the team once Supernova and Waffle get in.
2) If she does make it over Train, Carter, and Richman she has another # by the 21st.
3) Being that she's from the BX, is a Lib fan and knows the FBC, she got Sue's permission.
4) Blaze is just full of it.
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/09/05 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just curious about retired jerseys in NY, or anywhere else for that matter...

How many teams have retired jerseys in the W at this point in time? Houston has #10 (Perrot), #1 (for the Fans), and #14 (Cooper). They are hanging right next to the four championship banners for 1997--2000.

Did Phoenix retire Gillom's? Interesting for such a young league.

Can't wait to see WNBA jerseys with HOF on them like some of the Rockets' jerseys also hanging in the rafters of Toyota Center.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/09/05 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That and wasn't there a big Yankee game vs Oakland too? Question I think at the same game time too... That couldn't have helped Confused I think I'll have to wait to see the attendance vs Detroit on Sunday Arrow

Quote:
Alison (Newington,CT): I've got tickets to the Yankees game tomorrow..should I dump them and go see you guys play tomorrow?

Betty Lennox: Come see, us, we're the world champs, we're more important than them!

Hamden, CT: Hey LJ - SSShhh don't tell anyone in Connecticut that even the Suns are my favorite team you are my favorite player. And has anyone ever told you that you look like Cate Blanchett?

Lauen Jackson: Yes, I get that alot. Thank you.
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatWNBA?event_id=8073

KeiraNY wrote:
I'm going to go out on limb here & say that we've never had a pre-season game the day before Mother's Day....most of our pre-season is a bit later if I'm not mistaken...

Regardless, pre-season is just that pre-season. If we have only 5K come end of June, then we've hit the attendance crapper & ther Mystakes will have another "attendance banner" hanging from their rafters Smile

BCBG25 wrote:
More stats:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: