RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York 72, Seattle 58 Final
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/07/05 5:07 pm    ::: New York 72, Seattle 58 Final Reply Reply with quote

The Baby led all scorers with 15 pts. Becky had 10, C-Rob had 9 and Coker had 8&7.
For the Storm, Burse had 13&9 and LJ had 11&8. Lennox had 13 pts.
Interesting notes: Christon played 31 mins. C-Rob played 19. I don't know if the majority of Christon's minutes were at the 4, but I like it that she had a great game at the Garden for a change.
Burse appeared to be very strong on the boards, but way to miss chippies (4-15). Becky had 7 assists, still waiting for the boxscore to see the TOs. Looks like there were many...

PostPosted: 05/07/05 5:10 pm    ::: Re: New York 72, Seattle 58 Final Reply Reply with quote

What's up with D-Train playing only 4 minutes?
Weird...

PostPosted: 05/07/05 5:14 pm    ::: Where was Moore? Reply Reply with quote

No Loree Moore?

BoxScore: Sea/NY Box

BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/07/05 5:17 pm    ::: Re: Where was Moore? Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
No Loree Moore?

BoxScore: Sea/NY Box

Good question. She didn't play...

PostPosted: 05/07/05 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

L-Mo's at graduation. The Libs looked ok and Seattle looked like they wanted to end this and go shopping. It was a true pre-season game. Shameka looked good at the 4 but that's definitely all I think anyone can take away from this game besides the fact that Patty is intent on playing to the capabilities of her roster, experimenting and seeing what she has unlike Richie. Without any bigs, at least we looked tolerable. I can't call Seattle because they haven't had as much time as we did to prep for this game being that Bird just got there whereas most of our roster that we used today had a while to get to know each other.
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 05/07/05 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

f_blaze_coalition wrote:
L-Mo's at graduation. The Libs looked ok and Seattle looked like they wanted to end this and go shopping. It was a true pre-season game. Shameka looked good at the 4 but that's definitely all I think anyone can take away from this game besides the fact that Patty is intent on playing to the capabilities of her roster, experimenting and seeing what she has unlike Richie. Without any bigs, at least we looked tolerable. I can't call Seattle because they haven't had as much time as we did to prep for this game being that Bird just got there whereas most of our roster that we used today had a while to get to know each other.

I see Erin's stats but did she look any different? Was she any quicker, handle the ball any better or penetrate any? Is she gonna make the team?

genesis1272

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just got back from the game. Erin looked good and held her own, she has as good a chance as anyone. I may be the only one, but with the limited minutes I did see of her, Tabby Pool was somewhat impressive. She's quick, she plays pretty good defense, and when given the ball she created her own shot and scored. During the shootaround prior to the second half, I watched her shoot and she was the only Lib player who drained every single shot she took, I hope she gets a chance to show it to everyone else. Richman should be cut, she was lost out there and created more havoc than contributions. Coker was also pretty good today, she's a hustler and made many a play that had Patty grinning. The star of the day was definitely Christon. She started out slow, but eventually caught fire and she looked to possess a confidence that she lacked last season. I think she may be our savior. The rest of the Libs were pretty much as you'd remember them. Overall, I, for one, liked what I saw, and I hope that Patty manages to keep some semblance of this quicker pace together upon the return of Wauters and Baranova, it was a pleasant change. One note, not to say that K.B. would or would not be cut, she fared well today, but as someone sitting near me stated, Patty should not have had her in the game at the end, rookies and those definitely fighting for a spot (which K.B. may be) should've been out there, sure enough, K.B. dove for a loose ball and came up wounded, think she sprained her right wrist, hope this isn't the start of another year's worth of injuries.
As for the Storm, they have work to do, that was not the Championship team of last year, today's was the team that went 10 and 22 but I'm sure they'll get it together. I hope.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

genesis1272 wrote:
Just got back from the game. Erin looked good and held her own, she has as good a chance as anyone. I may be the only one, but with the limited minutes I did see of her, Tabby Pool was somewhat impressive. She's quick, she plays pretty good defense, and when given the ball she created her own shot and scored. During the shootaround prior to the second half, I watched her shoot and she was the only Lib player who drained every single shot she took, I hope she gets a chance to show it to everyone else. Richman should be cut, she was lost out there and created more havoc than contributions. Coker was also pretty good today, she's a hustler and made many a play that had Patty grinning. The star of the day was definitely Christon. She started out slow, but eventually caught fire and she looked to possess a confidence that she lacked last season. I think she may be our savior. The rest of the Libs were pretty much as you'd remember them. Overall, I, for one, liked what I saw, and I hope that Patty manages to keep some semblance of this quicker pace together upon the return of Wauters and Baranova, it was a pleasant change. One note, not to say that K.B. would or would not be cut, she fared well today, but as someone sitting near me stated, Patty should not have had her in the game at the end, rookies and those definitely fighting for a spot (which K.B. may be) should've been out there, sure enough, K.B. dove for a loose ball and came up wounded, think she sprained her right wrist, hope this isn't the start of another year's worth of injuries.
As for the Storm, they have work to do, that was not the Championship team of last year, today's was the team that went 10 and 22 but I'm sure they'll get it together. I hope.

Wow, thanks for the recap. I want Coker to make the team, I really like her. I would also like for Pool to stick, could she play the 2?

dbrown4852

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great Recap. I wouldn't mind Pool making the team. But I also want Amish Carter. How did she look?

genesis1272

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No problem. Re. Pool, that's a good question to which I don't have a really good answer. She didn't get enough minutes in the game today to evaluate her potential for playing any specific position, that is to say, I didn't get to see her take enough shots with others in her face, guarding her, etc. to really be able to determine her best offensive position. She's listed as a F, whereas Shameka's listed as G/F. If they can make Becky a PG and play Shameka at PF, then anything is possible, it certainly appeared like she possessed the shooting ability and gazelle like speed to perform in that spot but who's to say. I defer to anyone who has first hand knowledge of Tabby's game from Michigan to answer that question.

genesis1272

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, Amisha's performance today wasn't really that memorable. There were a couple of plays that broke down due to her being out of position, one of which led Becky to throw her arms out to her side in a What the F***? kind of gesture. Some people put up points, even if only 2, and you remember them. Amisha put up 4 (2 being free throws), yet the only thing that vaguely stands out about her in my memory are those mistakes.
You never know though, if Donaphin could stick, anyone can.

Sass

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm, more of a decisive win than I expected. Great recap, gen.

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
genesis1272

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks

mathmaggie

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:47 pm    ::: Where was donaphin today? Reply Reply with quote

genesis1272 wrote:
Sorry, Amisha's performance today wasn't really that memorable. There were a couple of plays that broke down due to her being out of position, one of which led Becky to throw her arms out to her side in a What the F***? kind of gesture. Some people put up points, even if only 2, and you remember them. Amisha put up 4 (2 being free throws), yet the only thing that vaguely stands out about her in my memory are those mistakes.
You never know though, if Donaphin could stick, anyone can.

jersey_stupka

Location: Outer loop of the Capital Beltway heading towards the new National Zoo

PostPosted: 05/07/05 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fun lib game today..yeah, its preseason, but still...
excited to see VJ back to her old form...she looked good.
becky is true to her commercial..ball handling skills look better..but passes in the paint are sucking...
crob..solid
the baby..oh the baby...she got nba three...she looked more mature and confident.
biggest surprise was monique coker...let's hope a spot can be freed up for her cuz she looked good...think her stat line had to be best of the rooks there...
sorry but richman was not clicking...amisha carter was okay...but not compared to coker.
kb was okay..
thorn was dead on in her shooting...

big problem tho..why is coker wearing number 23??
why is carter wearing number 24??
dayum FFO!!

patty is looking more and more like ms. tomato head sans tie...she gets just as redfaced as richie...mystics fans, please arm yourselves with cpr kits just in case you have a lead and need to preserve richie.

seattle looked like they were sleepwalking...
bird and lj surprisingly quiet.
anne seemed resigned to it being a preseason game...no need to get too worked up...

poor janel burse was getting mauled under the basket..girl needs to take assertive lessons...but she looked like she was playing with a bum knee..towards the end of the game she was limping fairly obviously...felt bad for her...dunno why the space needle didn't take her out...plenty of others to fill in...

greco looked good as did shaqula williams...
betty lennox reminds me of tameka dixon...ballhog deja vu...but she did good...basically the only one doing anything for seattle besides becky dishing the ball to them...lol

good to have the libs back..

missed the tarnado put if you haven't already done so, you can stockup on the $15 tarnado jerseys at Double Teamed...

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/07/05 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Sue only just touched down in NYC so that would explain her low-key game. LJ is obviously goig to make a slow start to the season as well after her lengthy post-surgery recovery phase.
Betty a ball-hog? Surely not! Razz
That's going to be the worry I guess... keeping Betty's head screwed on properly after last year's Finals MVP recognition. But this was a game in which she would have had the green light to just go for it, so I can't fault her for that.

PostPosted: 05/07/05 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope Shaquala makes the team.

Sass

PostPosted: 05/07/05 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Me too!!!

He's the greatest of the greater
get it straight - he's great
- Run-DMC
KeiraNY

PostPosted: 05/07/05 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, here's my review...

No Wauters, Baranova or Loree Moore (she was at graduation as someone stated before). The players that were there...

Shameka Christon: The Baby got game, ain't no doubt about it!! She started slow but did extremely well...GREAT range, aggressive and all over the place...like white on rice. She was guarding people much bigger than her (Burse) and had LJ guarding her on offense. Not an easy task either way. Won't be starting, but along w/ Frett will be the first subs coming off the bench.

VJ: Let me say it!! SHE'S BAAAACCCKKK!!! And I don't mean her game necessarily...but the fire in her eyes! She's playing like she's enjoying it again!!! I for one, I'm glad!!! A healthy, happy VJ is always a good thing.

C-Rob: As Jersey said: SOLID! Great defender, great shooter, as always.

Becky: She looked confident out there! Her TO's weren't outrageous which is great! Can still penetrate and create her shot. She'll be OK. While not my ideal PG, it'll have to do.

Frett/White: Will both stick. I think that's the reason D-Train played only a few minutes. I think D-Train impressed with that steal and almost full fast break...I love her to death but had never seen her steal anything..good for her!

Monique Coker: The first half was so blah that I said to Jersey "I'd cut her". Then came the second half and I had a change of heart! The girl is a banger and aggressive. I think this one should be a keeper.

Amisha Carter: I must disagree with my fellow fans. This girl is good enough to stick. Her teammates were confident when passing her the ball (usually they don't give the ball to rookies much). I'm going to state the obvious & say that I'd keep this girl over Donaphin. And I'm going to go as far as saying (try not to kill me) that Amisha has the potential to be a Tari Phillips-like player. Just park her under the basket and she'll do her thing.

Rebecca Richman/Tabitha Pool: CUT!!! Richman could EASILY be Bethany's cousin...same mannerism, same inability to catch a pass or get a rebound. I think Stacy Stephens would've been a MUCH better choice to keep. Tabitha hit a great turn around jumper but she'll be cut too. She didn't impress me at all.

KB/Erin: YOu could tell they were both playing not to get cut. Erin's shot is GREAT, there's no denying that but I don't think she improved. She's still the same player she was last year. She's a great spot-up shooter but nothing else...as for KB, she's still KB. She played hard and I think penetrated once (which is what us fans wanted her to do more) but that's about it. I think it'll be a mistake to keep 3 PG's (assuming L-Moore sticks, and I think she will)

Patty/Potter/Jeff Mobilehome: Patty is the new Richie...she gets all red in the face...LOL! Potter's still Potter and the new guy wasn't even introduced by the PA announcer. I bet he feels special now!! Even Lisa White got an intro!! LOL!

Janel Burse got mauled, smacked & severely abused down low! Poor girl! I felt bad for her!!! Why did the 'Space Needle' keep her in there for so long? I don't know...but girlfriend got abused!

Last thought: For those who picked this team to come in last, I'd say re-think your positions! I think this is the first time in a LOOOONG time that the team looks good during pre-season! They seemed to run more, seemed more athletic and eager to start. Seattle had all their guns and we didn't (and I'm not counting Donaphin in this equation).

jersey_stupka wrote:
fun lib game today..yeah, its preseason, but still...
excited to see VJ back to her old form...she looked good.
becky is true to her commercial..ball handling skills look better..but passes in the paint are sucking...
crob..solid
the baby..oh the baby...she got nba three...she looked more mature and confident.
biggest surprise was monique coker...let's hope a spot can be freed up for her cuz she looked good...think her stat line had to be best of the rooks there...
sorry but richman was not clicking...amisha carter was okay...but not compared to coker.
kb was okay..
thorn was dead on in her shooting...

big problem tho..why is coker wearing number 23??
why is carter wearing number 24??
dayum FFO!!

patty is looking more and more like ms. tomato head sans tie...she gets just as redfaced as richie...mystics fans, please arm yourselves with cpr kits just in case you have a lead and need to preserve richie.

seattle looked like they were sleepwalking...
bird and lj surprisingly quiet.
anne seemed resigned to it being a preseason game...no need to get too worked up...

poor janel burse was getting mauled under the basket..girl needs to take assertive lessons...but she looked like she was playing with a bum knee..towards the end of the game she was limping fairly obviously...felt bad for her...dunno why the space needle didn't take her out...plenty of others to fill in...

greco looked good as did shaqula williams...
betty lennox reminds me of tameka dixon...ballhog deja vu...but she did good...basically the only one doing anything for seattle besides becky dishing the ball to them...lol

good to have the libs back..

missed the tarnado put if you haven't already done so, you can stockup on the $15 tarnado jerseys at Double Teamed...

dbrown4852

PostPosted: 05/07/05 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Kiera,

Now I can actually get back to work. I was waiting for your review. You usually have good instincts.

I feel the same about Amisha Carter. If given a chance, she can become the next Tari and she definitely is better than Bethany.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 05/07/05 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

KeiraNY wrote:
Ok, here's my review...

No Wauters, Baranova or Loree Moore (she was at graduation as someone stated before). The players that were there...

Shameka Christon: The Baby got game, ain't no doubt about it!! She started slow but did extremely well...GREAT range, aggressive and all over the place...like white on rice. She was guarding people much bigger than her (Burse) and had LJ guarding her on offense. Not an easy task either way. Won't be starting, but along w/ Frett will be the first subs coming off the bench.

VJ: Let me say it!! SHE'S BAAAACCCKKK!!! And I don't mean her game necessarily...but the fire in her eyes! She's playing like she's enjoying it again!!! I for one, I'm glad!!! A healthy, happy VJ is always a good thing.

C-Rob: As Jersey said: SOLID! Great defender, great shooter, as always.

Becky: She looked confident out there! Her TO's weren't outrageous which is great! Can still penetrate and create her shot. She'll be OK. While not my ideal PG, it'll have to do.

Frett/White: Will both stick. I think that's the reason D-Train played only a few minutes. I think D-Train impressed with that steal and almost full fast break...I love her to death but had never seen her steal anything..good for her!

Monique Coker: The first half was so blah that I said to Jersey "I'd cut her". Then came the second half and I had a change of heart! The girl is a banger and aggressive. I think this one should be a keeper.

Amisha Carter: I must disagree with my fellow fans. This girl is good enough to stick. Her teammates were confident when passing her the ball (usually they don't give the ball to rookies much). I'm going to state the obvious & say that I'd keep this girl over Donaphin. And I'm going to go as far as saying (try not to kill me) that Amisha has the potential to be a Tari Phillips-like player. Just park her under the basket and she'll do her thing.

Rebecca Richman/Tabitha Pool: CUT!!! Richman could EASILY be Bethany's cousin...same mannerism, same inability to catch a pass or get a rebound. I think Stacy Stephens would've been a MUCH better choice to keep. Tabitha hit a great turn around jumper but she'll be cut too. She didn't impress me at all.

KB/Erin: YOu could tell they were both playing not to get cut. Erin's shot is GREAT, there's no denying that but I don't think she improved. She's still the same player she was last year. She's a great spot-up shooter but nothing else...as for KB, she's still KB. She played hard and I think penetrated once (which is what us fans wanted her to do more) but that's about it. I think it'll be a mistake to keep 3 PG's (assuming L-Moore sticks, and I think she will)

Patty/Potter/Jeff Mobilehome: Patty is the new Richie...she gets all red in the face...LOL! Potter's still Potter and the new guy wasn't even introduced by the PA announcer. I bet he feels special now!! Even Lisa White got an intro!! LOL!

Janel Burse got mauled, smacked & severely abused down low! Poor girl! I felt bad for her!!! Why did the 'Space Needle' keep her in there for so long? I don't know...but girlfriend got abused!

Last thought: For those who picked this team to come in last, I'd say re-think your positions! I think this is the first time in a LOOOONG time that the team looks good during pre-season! They seemed to run more, seemed more athletic and eager to start. Seattle had all their guns and we didn't (and I'm not counting Donaphin in this equation).

Another gr8 recap. I want Amisha Carter to stick too, her and Monique are players I've been rooting for.

Last edited by Str8_Butta on 05/07/05 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/07/05 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guys, reality check: Donafoe is signed to a multi-year deal. She's in.

PostPosted: 05/07/05 11:39 pm    ::: Re: New York 72, Seattle 58 Final Reply Reply with quote

AP Article.

http://www.nj.com/sportsflash/liberty/index.ssf?/base/sports-12/1115512918192170.xml&storylist=nj_wnba

KeiraNY

PostPosted: 05/07/05 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well thank you very much!!!! I'm glad there's at least 3 of us who'd like Amisha Carter to stick...As of right now, the team is:

Becky
C-Rob
VJ
Baranova
Wauters
Christon
Frett
D-Train
Donaphin (it PAINS me to write that)
Moore
Coker/Carter

IR
Erin
KB

dbrown4852 wrote:
Thanks Kiera,

Now I can actually get back to work. I was waiting for your review. You usually have good instincts.

I feel the same about Amisha Carter. If given a chance, she can become the next Tari and she definitely is better than Bethany.

genesis1272

PostPosted: 05/08/05 1:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pool didn't get enough minutes to fully impress. However, what I saw of her, in the limited time she was given, was a hell of a lot better than some of the other players who got more time, e.g. Richman, Carter. As I said earlier, maybe I'm the only one, but I think she's got IT, that which can't be quantified or adequately described, but given a chance, can be very good. Did you not catch her quickness or the way she stuck to her player on defense, and didn't allow so much as an attempt to be put up? (That was against Betty Lennox and Adia Barnes by the way). These are things we need, and although like BCBG said, Donaphin aint goin anywhere, I'd much rather have Pool on the floor than her. I think she was just so much of a shock of a pick that people are blinded by that and don't want to see that there really is potential there, she was already "waived" in many people's minds before training camp ever began.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: