RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Let's start a new trend
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wadethered

PostPosted: 05/06/05 11:32 am    ::: Let's start a new trend Reply Reply with quote

As long as no one *goes out of their way* Wink , can people copy and paste the important information when they post a link to a newspaper article so we don't have to register in every single friggin site? I mean, it takes ten seconds to copy and paste, rather than a good minute to register. Now I just sound lazy, but it IS annoying.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/06/05 11:36 am    ::: Re: Let's start a new trend Reply Reply with quote

About a year ago, Pilight explained that sites keep track of "hits" if we want more WNBA coverage, we need the websites to see that the story was read by thousands of people - not just one person who pasted it on a couple message boards.

pilight, time to post the link for bugmenot again.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/06/05 11:37 am    ::: Re: Let's start a new trend Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
As long as no one *goes out of their way* Wink , can people copy and paste the important information when they post a link to a newspaper article so we don't have to register in every single friggin site? I mean, it takes ten seconds to copy and paste, rather than a good minute to register. Now I just sound lazy, but it IS annoying.

It is a violation of the copyright laws to copy an article, or most of it. Just the highpoints I would say is okay. Pilight referred to a website bugmenot.com. Just enter the link you want to go to, and it gives you a working BS username and password.

thetruth

PostPosted: 05/06/05 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok sounds good to me.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/06/05 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone can correct me on this, but I have found that once I registered for one paper, that registration has given me access to several different ones. It is not true for all of them, but it has been convenient to just have to remember one logon.

SportsPageMike

PostPosted: 05/06/05 12:24 pm    ::: Copyright Laws Reply Reply with quote

As dtsnms mentioned:

* It is a violation of the copyright laws to copy an article, or most of it. *

In posting you are allowed to use a caption of an article or a clip describing what the artilce is about. You are not allowed to reprint the whole article.

I don't want to sound like a pain in the butt by copyright laws refer to photos also. A recent post made by some dtsnms had a link of ours to the game between the Lynx and the Sun.

Someone took that photo link and then posted the photo in the trend for everyone to view. Unfortunately, you cannot do that. In that trend I saw the photo at least four or five times.

I didn't want to hurt anyone so I let let go. But if you look at our photos they all have a copyright at the bottom.

You are more then welcome to download them and share them with friends. But who cannot show them at will as you please.

Recently, someone posted several WNBA photos from their website on several different teams. That is totally forbidden. I even need to get permission from the team or league to reprint any Getty Images photos.

Sorry, if I am causing a conflict here. But we work hard at what we do.

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at sportspgmg@aol.com

PostPosted: 05/06/05 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So you can't even post pictures if you post a direct link to where you found it?

pilight

PostPosted: 05/06/05 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Someone can correct me on this, but I have found that once I registered for one paper, that registration has given me access to several different ones. It is not true for all of them, but it has been convenient to just have to remember one logon.

That is sometimes true if the papers share the same owner.

PostPosted: 05/06/05 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks, pilight...the word syndicate just wouldn't come to mind when I first posted. I guess we would all be appalled to find out how only a few control much of the information we receive.

SportsPageMike

PostPosted: 05/06/05 3:11 pm    ::: That's right Reply Reply with quote

< < So you can't even post pictures if you post a direct link to where you found it? > >

wadethered;

You can post links to any article or any photo. You just cannot take an article which has been copyrighted by a publication and post it on a message board. The same thing applies to photographs. They are copyrighted also. So you just cannot copy and paste them on any site. You can place a link to where the photo originated from. That is why when you go on message boards you see links everywhere.

Pilight does an excellant job of keeping us all informed of what is going on because (he/she) is placing links to various articles.

Last edited by SportsPageMike on 05/06/05 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 05/06/05 3:41 pm    ::: Re: That's right Reply Reply with quote

SportsPageMike wrote:
Pilight does an excellant job of feeping us all informed of what is going on because he is placing links to various articles.

That having been said, I do sometimes post pics on my website without proper permission or even attribution, including some from Mike's site. Embarassed

PostPosted: 05/06/05 4:35 pm    ::: Re: That's right Reply Reply with quote

Isn't there a certain "percentage" that a photo can be altered and then not be considered the same photograph?
For example, if a basketball was replaced by a dog.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/06/05 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Isn't there a certain "percentage" that a photo can be altered and then not be considered the same photograph?

That explains all those photos of Slovy and DeMya...then Gwen...then Wynter...

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/06/05 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ha ha, very funny!

Actually, I think the only player I ever had a picture with is Adrian.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/06/05 5:45 pm    ::: Re: That's right Reply Reply with quote

SportsPageMike wrote:
< < So you can't even post pictures if you post a direct link to where you found it? > >

wadethered;

You can post links to any article or any photo. You just cannot take an article which has been copyrighted by a publication and post it on a message board. The same thing applies to photographs. They are copyrighted also. So you just cannot copy and paste them on any site. You can place a link to where the photo originated from. That is why when you go on message boards you see links everywhere.

Pilight does an excellant job of keeping us all informed of what is going on because (he/she) is placing links to various articles.

Well there's a few other things to think about.

One is that the images aren't being cut and pasted into this website. They are, in technical terms, being linked to and simply displayed here from their source in the image folders on the originating website. (More on that in a second.)

Copyright LAW (as in ACTUAL infringement cases) as a practical matter is quite a different animal than what is suggested by the ubiquitous "unauthorized use of is prohibited" warnings attached to images and such on the internet.

Infringement cases are brought primarily when the unauthorized use of the property is in support of some commericial endeavor by a person or persons who does not possess copyright. Copyright law is ALL about protecting the right of the owner of the work to profit exclusively from that property and to NOT have to watch someone else profit from the property without his or her prior consent.

In the case of the pirating of music and feature films which is the outright theft of materials there is a resultant and considerable financial harm to the owners of the materials and that's why those cases are pursued so vigorously. Piracy is pursued under copyright violation laws but it's much different than simple infringement cases.

The idea that any of this applies or SHOULD apply in cases where you have people not involved in the commercial exploitation of the images but who are simply displaying, or, in terms of actually liability, ALLOWING those images to be posted here for the enjoyment of sharing them with friends is somewhat dubious, in my opinion.

Although I would agree it certainly constitutes unauthorized usage in that no one in a position to do so has authorized the images to be used in this way. But in terms of copyright law, unauthorized usage is a bit more complex than that and involves establising that the offending party seeks to profit in some way from using the (in this case) images without a legal agreement for doing so with the owner of the work.

(You want to talk about gray area? Copyright law is gray area.)

Lastly... images on an internet site or from a source such as Getty or a newspaper can be as small as 1/500th of the size, in terms of digital information, as the original image. They're resized and compressed not only for faster downloads but DPI adjustments are made for the purpose of making true unauthorized usage next to impossible, thus saving the owners of the images from the impossible task of persuing copyright cases against potentially millions of violators on line.

Bottom line... no one HERE is EVER going to see legal action initiated against them for copyright infringement for directly linking from this site to a highly compressed and resized for the web image on another site with no intent to exploit or profit from that image or it being posted here.

Not unless it's a very small entity on the other end of that action with excess time and money to burn because that's what it would take to persue a copyright case against someone wherein there's no commercial component whatsoever.

My suggestion to you, Mike, is just to inform anyone here (or all of us) that you absolutely do not want us on THIS website linking to or otherwise displaying images that we might find on YOUR website. I guarantee you that no one here will persist in doing so contrary to your wishes. That's fair enough, right?

But please, leave everyone else, from Getty to Magnum, to fend for themselves. They don't need your help policing our board. We're just a group of fans passing pictures to each other.

*I've got to STOP editing this message so let me add this disclaimer... I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on the internet. Do not substitute my opinion on this matter for legal advice from a properly sanctioned attorney in your state or province.

(For further source reading on my comments please refer to pilight's recent selection of material particular noting the title "On Bullshit.")

PostPosted: 05/06/05 6:48 pm    ::: Re: That's right Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

(For further source reading on my comments please refer to pilight's recent selection of material particular noting the title "On Bullshit.")

A work that in every sense laid the groundwork for my own soon to be released book... "Laying On the Bullshit."

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 05/06/05 7:48 pm    ::: A reply to Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:

< < My suggestion to you, Mike, is just to inform anyone here (or all of us) that you absolutely do not want us on THIS website linking to or otherwise displaying images that we might find on YOUR website. I guarantee you that no one here will persist in doing so contrary to your wishes. That's fair enough, right? > >

Well, I see you did a lot of research on this and we all have our version. So rules and regulations, what not's and can do's, I know what is and isn't allowed. My serior writer is an attorney but I am not going anywhere with that.

I enjoy this board just as much as everyone else and I have told the people in charge so. Reb has allowed me to post things about my website so I don't have a problem with people using our photos on this board.

But you have no idea how often I find our photos on various other message boards and other peoples websites. They even use them as part of their signature.

We are a free website. We have no advertisers and I pay for everything, which I am hoping will change some day. Everyone that is a part of our website does it for FREE. Knowing that our people work hard at what they do, it does bug me at times when I don't see "This photo is courtesy of Sportspagemagazine.com" and I am sure anyone else would be if they were in my shoes.

People have altered our photos in the past and to be honest with you, I was the one that got into trouble because of that. It took me two years to get media credentials to cover a school. It took me 20 minutes to talk my way out of something that I had nothing to do with because a photo was altered of players from that school.

As I said, anyone on this board is welcomed to use our photos on this board only. But if anyone alters anything then that would have to come to an unfortunate end.

PostPosted: 05/06/05 7:53 pm    ::: pilight Reply Reply with quote

pilight, I just wanted you to know that I didn't mean any disrespect when I wrote (he/she) above. I really do not know many people here so excuse me for that.

PostPosted: 05/06/05 8:07 pm    ::: Re: pilight Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I guess I should take down this Shameka Christon Pic. I didn't know all of this stuff that ya'll are saying, thanx for the heads up.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/06/05 8:48 pm    ::: Re: A reply to Reply Reply with quote

SportsPageMike wrote:
jammerbirdi wrote:

< < My suggestion to you, Mike, is just to inform anyone here (or all of us) that you absolutely do not want us on THIS website linking to or otherwise displaying images that we might find on YOUR website. I guarantee you that no one here will persist in doing so contrary to your wishes. That's fair enough, right? > >

Well, I see you did a lot of research on this and we all have our version. So rules and regulations, what not's and can do's, I know what is and isn't allowed. My serior writer is an attorney but I am not going anywhere with that.

I enjoy this board just as much as everyone else and I have told the people in charge so. Reb has allowed me to post things about my website so I don't have a problem with people using our photos on this board.

But you have no idea how often I find our photos on various other message boards and other peoples websites. They even use them as part of their signature.

We are a free website. We have no advertisers and I pay for everything, which I am hoping will change some day. Everyone that is a part of our website does it for FREE. Knowing that our people work hard at what they do, it does bug me at times when I don't see "This photo is courtesy of Sportspagemagazine.com" and I am sure anyone else would be if they were in my shoes.

People have altered our photos in the past and to be honest with you, I was the one that got into trouble because of that. It took me two years to get media credentials to cover a school. It took me 20 minutes to talk my way out of something that I had nothing to do with because a photo was altered of players from that school.

As I said, anyone on this board is welcomed to use our photos on this board only. But if anyone alters anything then that would have to come to an unfortunate end.

Well I don't know that I personally would use images from your site but I thank you for allowing people who post here to do so. I do like attaching my twisted little captions to the things.

I'm assuming you're a professional journalist and if that's the case you're indeed in a different position regarding prior permission to use protected images.

I, on the other hand, take frequent afternoon naps and have a tendency to drool on my pillow.

What of it?

Razz

PostPosted: 05/06/05 9:42 pm    ::: I need to rephrase a line Reply Reply with quote

< <As I said, anyone on this board is welcomed to use our photos on this board only. But if anyone alters anything then that would have to come to an unfortunate end. > >

We are allowed to use photos from Major League Baseball, the WNBA and the NBA because we have media access to their photos. Those photos cannot be reused because they are not ours. All of our photos have a copyright at the bottom stating sportspagemagazine.com. Those you can share. If it doesn't have our name on it then I ask you to please leave them alone.

Thanks;

PostPosted: 05/06/05 9:56 pm    ::: words ain't pictures Reply Reply with quote

I have nothing to add to the discussion of photographs, but want to remind folks that quoting a few sentences at a time from newspaper articles (or from anything else, except for certain poems) is NOT copyright infringement.

Reprinting all of a newspaper article may be infringement, and it's definitely a waste of space if the article is free on the Web, or free with registration (as almost all news except the Wall Street Journal is).

Copyright in photographs can get very confusing, and I leave it to the lawyers on here (I know there are a few) to explain it.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/07/05 3:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to give anyone who is interested an idea of just how complicated this is and how much of a legal food fight these issues all involve... here is a front page piece from the New York Times regarding TODAY's ruling in a federal appeals court regarding actual internet piracy.

Quote:
WASHINGTON, May 6 - A federal appeals court handed a major setback to Hollywood and the television networks on Friday when it struck down an antipiracy regulation requiring computer and television makers to use new technology that would make it difficult for consumers to copy and distribute digital programs.

Quote:
It was a significant victory for libraries, consumer groups and civil liberties organizations.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/07/technology/07tele.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5094&en=bbc56a35944bfdc4&hp&ex=1115524800&partner=homepage

Another paragraph... different case... before the SCOTUS.

The Supreme Court is expected to issue a ruling soon in another closely watched case involving digital rights and intellectual property, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios v. Grokster Ltd. In that case, the court is considering whether the online services that enable copyright songs and movies to be shared freely over the Internet can be held liable themselves for copyright infringement.

By the way, that one is expected to go against the entertainment industry as well. The arguments were a hoot. One justice, I think it was Souter, said something like... "You mean I am a pirate for listening to this music on my Ipod." LOL!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh GOD I would have loved to have seen the look on those MGM lawyer's faces when he said that. Whew!

PostPosted: 05/07/05 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"But I don't want to be a pirate!"

- Jerry Seinfeld

1carol

PostPosted: 05/07/05 7:36 pm    ::: Re: Copyright Laws Reply Reply with quote

SportsPageMike wrote:

I don't want to sound like a pain in the butt by copyright laws refer to photos also. A recent post made by some dtsnms had a link of ours to the game between the Lynx and the Sun.

Someone took that photo link and then posted the photo in the trend for everyone to view. Unfortunately, you cannot do that. In that trend I saw the photo at least four or five times.

I didn't want to hurt anyone so I let let go. But if you look at our photos they all have a copyright at the bottom.

You are more then welcome to download them and share them with friends. But who cannot show them at will as you please.

Sorry, if I am causing a conflict here. But we work hard at what we do.

I notice that your pictures are taken by people (usually amateurs) who live in the cities where the teams are located. They all state copyright by @sportspagemagazine.com2005 on the picture. Credit to the actual photographer is listed under the picture. Why do you hold copyright to their pictures? Do they have to sign a release relinquishing their ownership to give you ownership?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: