RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lots of cuts to make
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wadethered

PostPosted: 05/05/05 2:51 pm    ::: Lots of cuts to make Reply Reply with quote

Here are the numbers of players each team has to cut, assuming each team will keep 11 + 1 IR

Charlotte - 5
Connecticut - 4
Detroit - 4
Houston - 4
Indiana - 6
Los Angeles - 6
Minnesota - 5
New York - 5
Phoenix - 4 (Not counting if Stepanova comes over)
Sacramento - 6
San Antonio - 9
Seattle - 6
Washington - 8

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:02 pm    ::: Re: Lots of cuts to make Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
Here are the numbers of players each team has to cut, assuming each team will keep 11 + 1 IR

Connecticut - 4

Connecticut to my knowledge will have 15 in camp including Margo, Taj and KT, not 16 after today. The roster still shows Futrell, who is gone, and Mahoney doesn't count.

Cs: Margo, LeCoe, Summerton
Fs: Taj, Jones, Sales, Brungo, Wyckoff, Lacy, Montanananana
Gs: Whalen, Douglas, Conlon, Strom, Jen D

Final cut predictions: Summerton, Lacy, and Jen D.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comets need to only cut one to get to 15 (counting Tina). The roster on the .com has players who either were not re-signed (Johns-Kimbrough) or have already been waived.

SportsPageMike

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:24 pm    ::: Beg to differ Reply Reply with quote

Sorry DT:

But I think that Jen D. makes the team. I agree with your other but Montanana will not make it.

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:26 pm    ::: Re: Beg to differ Reply Reply with quote

SportsPageMike wrote:
Sorry DT:

But I think that Jen D. makes the team. I agree with your other but Montanana will not make it.

Could be, I just figured one more big butt would be chosen. I wouldn't be surprised if you're right. I wouldn't be shocked to see Summerton make it, and honestly, I wouldn't be that surprised if Brungo didn't.

wadethered

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're right about Mahoney, Connecticut needs to make 3 more cuts. Also, why would Derevjanik make the team over some of those other players? When I saw her play last year (in Seattle when Whalen was sick, she got extended minutes backin up black) she didn't look at all like she belonged in the league, and IMHO is nowhere near the player that Montanana is. Let's put it this way: someone who averages 2.6 points in 20 minutes in EuroLeague is not going to be an effective player in the WNBA. I give her about a 20% chance of making the Sun roster.

As for Houston: Yes, they only need to make 1 more cut to get down to 15, but they need to make 3 more cuts after that to get down to twelve.

1+3=4

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Indiana will keep 11+2 IR (I think they can keep two injured)

Jenni
Tulley
Tamika
Ebony
Deanna
Kelly M
Yolanda
Kelly S
Jurgita
Tan
Nat

Coretta (Knee)
Astou (Other knee)

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks pretty reasonable, except for my being enamored with Iveta. Was she even at the preseason game?

That line-up looks like a pretty good one to me. I would like our chances at least to make the play-offs.

Slovydal wrote:

Jenni
Tulley
Tamika
Ebony
Deanna
Kelly M
Yolanda
Kelly S
Jurgita
Tan
Nat

Coretta (Knee)
Astou (Other knee)

wadethered

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:

I've been reading that they can only keep 1 IR player this year. I'll try to find the thread.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/05/05 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
Slovydal wrote:

I've been reading that they can only keep 1 IR player this year. I'll try to find the thread.

They'll have to "suspend"* someone then. None of the players I listed should be cut. Astou isn't really in game shape, but I heard she has a guaranteed contract...

*Starbird is listed as "suspended"

The Fever should be a lot better than people expect.

wadethered

PostPosted: 05/05/05 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Slovydal wrote:
They'll have to "suspend"* someone then. None of the players I listed should be cut. Astou isn't really in game shape, but I heard she has a guaranteed contract...

*Starbird is listed as "suspended"

The Fever should be a lot better than people expect.

I also think Hibbert has a pretty good chance of making the team. I didn't think Paige had a chance, but 3 assists and 4 steals in 16 minutes does look good for her, although she did have 3 turnovers.

Four

PostPosted: 05/05/05 5:03 pm    ::: sting cuts Reply Reply with quote

By process of elimination, this is who I see Charlotte cutting:

44 Andrea Bills C 6-3 215 09/01/1983 Oregon R
25 Tera Bjorklund C 6-4 175 06/29/1982 Colorado '04 1
31 Teana Miller C 6-3 203 10/05/1980 Tulane 1
34 Rushia Brown F 6-2 175 05/05/1972 Furman '94 7
33 Natasha Brackett G 5-9 150 01/10/1983 Auburn R

But I have never followed the WNBA before this year so let me know how horrible my predictions are...
The roster would be:
5 Dawn Staley G 5-6 134 05/04/1970 Virginia '92 6
13 Kelly Mazzante G 6-0 155 02/02/1982 Penn State '04 1
30 Helen Darling G 5-6 164 08/29/1978 Penn State '00 4
15 Jia Perkins G 5-8 155 02/23/1982 Texas Tech '04 1
55 Tammy Sutton-Brown C 6-4 199 01/27/1978 Rutgers '01 4
4 Janel McCarville C 6-2 220 11/03/1982 Minnesota '99 R
24 Jessica Moore C 6-3 180 07/09/1982 Connecticut R
50 Tangela Smith F-C 6-4 160 04/01/1977 Iowa '98 7
21 Allison Feaster F 5-11 168 02/11/1976 Harvard '98 7
2 Sheri Sam F-G 6-0 160 05/05/1974 Vanderbilt '96 6
20 Tynesha Lewis (FA) G-F 5-10 150 05/08/1979 North Carolina State'01 4
57 Caity Matter G 5-9 167 08/22/1982 Ohio State R

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/05/05 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope it's still 2 IR: I know that many teams use IR as a way to keep more players around, but sometimes you actually get two players who are really injured. Especially late in the season.

Lynx need to cut 5 if you don't count Gwen Slaughter (listed on site, but as free agent-- Van Gorp is no longer listed at all, nor is Edwards). I think we'll cut:
Tamia (not Tamika) Williams
either Butts or Batteast
either King Borchardt or McDivitt
either Ujhelyi or Lovelace-Tolbert, though I really want Lovelace-Tolbert to stick around.
As for the last cut, I have no idea.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/05/05 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do you really see Jessica Moore sticking instead of McKiver? I really like McK -- I mean Miller.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/05/05 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wadethered wrote:
I didn't think Paige had a chance, but 3 assists and 4 steals in 16 minutes does look good for her, although she did have 3 turnovers.

I heard that Yolanda is doing really well in practice.
I hope she makes it. I like the idea of a young point guard along with Tully's experience.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 05/05/05 6:48 pm    ::: Sting... Reply Reply with quote

Charlotte would cut Matter and Moore before Teanna and possibly Bjorklund in my opinion.

Miller has proven to be a solid if not strong Barb Farris type backup. (went to the same school as well - Tulane) I'd be interested to see if Bjorklund has become more aggressive because of what I saw of her on TV, her skill set was very similar to Ohlde's. If she improved her aggression, she would actively look for her shot and go hard at rebounds.

Yet, I have to take a second thought on Rushia Brown. With TSB, Tangela, and Janel as the main posts, defense isn't exactly a strong point. Rushia may well win herself a spot with tough defense which made her so important to the Rocker teams.

With Mazz almost a sure thing - they seem to be marketing her more these days - there is no point for keeping Matter around. Kelly has a higher release point and a quicker release, as well as more upside with her size. I also think that Kelly is on the wrong team, as she doesn't seem to have too many differences with relation to Feaster, except possibly weaker defense.

I look for Charlotte to end up something like this:

G -- Staley, Lewis, Mazz, Darling, Perkins
F -- Sam, Tan, Feaster, Janel
C -- TSB, Miller

Again, I think Mazz is in the wrong spot to ever get to show her offensive capabilities. Perhaps she can be dealt to Houston for Tiffani Johnson (tee hee hee) or something more realistic like a 3 way with Mazz going to Houston, Goodie going to Seattle, and Simone going to Charlotte.

PostPosted: 05/05/05 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's that link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/03/AR2005050301240.html

Quote:
Washington has until May 20 to decrease its roster to 11 active players with one player on injured reserve.

MNfan22

PostPosted: 05/05/05 11:25 pm    ::: Lynx ... Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully Svet will be in camp in a wk & no one has to be cut when she joins. Just means everyone is getting time to show their stuff.

Anyway, haven't seem my team live yet Crying or Very sad , so just a feeling:
There are 6 people in camp playing for 1 spot:

Jacqueline Batteast F 6-2
Tasha Butts G 5-11
Susan King Borchardt G 5-7
April McDivitt G 5-7
Petra Ujhelyi
Tamia Williams G 6-0

Active Roster:
Guards:
Kristi Harrower, Amber Jacobs

Dual purpose Wings:
Katie Smith, Svetlana Abrosimova, Amanda Lassiter
Stacey Lovelace-Tolbert (her experience & versatility, priceless. + she can help at the 3,4 or 5 spot)

Vanessa Hayden, Nicole Ohlde, Tamika Williams, Kristen Mann

IR:
Nuria Martinez (she's suffered some foot injury over in Spain ???)

* If Martinez can't hang or who knows, McDivitt or Borchardt may have a chance.
* Butts needs to be playing for her pro life.
* Long term Batteast has big up side to me.
* Ujhelyi has no chance.
* Haven't seen the "other" T. Williams
Somebody is going to really have to set themselves apart from the pack to make this team. Glad I don't have to make the cuts, yikes.

wadethered

PostPosted: 05/06/05 2:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of left handed shooters (I think she's left handed), but Martinez is going to have to prove her worth to make this team. She wasn't even close to the best player on the Spanish national team, of which I thought Valdemoro was the only one that I thought looked like she had WNBA talent.

gopher5

PostPosted: 05/06/05 6:55 am    ::: Re: Lynx ... Reply Reply with quote

Here is my guess on the Lynx, although I am not convinced on all of my choices and will probably change my mind:

Guards: (2)
Kristi and Amber

Wings: (5)
Katie, Svet, Amanda, Jackie and SLT* (could be grouped with post as well)

Tamika, Vanessa, Nicole and Kristen (who will hopefully be like SLT and be able to play here and on the wing)

Cut: April, Tasha, Petra and either Tamia or Susan

IR: Tamia or Susan (I am going to assume that Nuria's injury is serious enough that she goes on the suspended list again).

I dont't think they will utilize both IR positions except on a temporary basis during the season when someone is actually hurt.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 05/06/05 7:49 am    ::: Re: Lynx ... Reply Reply with quote

The people who saw the preseason game last Sunday think Tamia Williams just isn't up to the W's standards and will go.

The Lynx have been waiting and hoping on Martinez for a while now: somebody really believes in her. (But if nobody else in the W believes, then the Lynx can cut her this year, use the IR spot for something else, and get her back next year, just as the Sun apparently plan to do with Futrell.)

gopher5

PostPosted: 05/06/05 8:26 am    ::: Re: Lynx ... Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
The people who saw the preseason game last Sunday think Tamia Williams just isn't up to the W's standards and will go.

The Lynx have been waiting and hoping on Martinez for a while now: somebody really believes in her. (But if nobody else in the W believes, then the Lynx can cut her this year, use the IR spot for something else, and get her back next year, just as the Sun apparently plan to do with Futrell.)

I would agree Tamia is a long shot, but I think the IR position will need to go to a guard. We seem to have enough depth in the post. With Katie coming back slowly and Kristi coming off her foot injury, it looks like we would want more back up on the perimeter. Personally, I am pulling for Susan since she is from MN and she seems to be a similar type player to SMS. If Tasha steps it up more offesnisvely in the exhibition games, she may stay too.

As far as Nuria, if she is not 100%, I think she needs to either be waived or put on the suspended list. Since no one knows the extent of the injury yet, it's tough to know how to handle. I agree she is not high enough in demand to put much effort into keeping.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/06/05 8:34 am    ::: Re: Lynx ... Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:
accommodatingly wrote:

I would agree Tamia is a long shot, but I think the IR position will need to go to a guard. We seem to have enough depth in the post. With Katie coming back slowly and Kristi coming off her foot injury, it looks like we would want more back up on the perimeter. Personally, I am pulling for Susan since she is from MN and she seems to be a similar type player to SMS. If Tasha steps it up more offesnisvely in the exhibition games, she may stay too.

As far as Nuria, if she is not 100%, I think she needs to either be waived or put on the suspended list. Since no one knows the extent of the injury yet, it's tough to know how to handle. I agree she is not high enough in demand to put much effort into keeping.

I like Tamia Williams! I thought she brought some size and presence to the backcourt. She hustled, and was quick, and buried the open shot.With those others around, it may be tough to keep her, but she was just as good as Butts to me, and Batteast as well.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 05/06/05 10:04 am    ::: Re: Lynx ... Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

I like Tamia Williams! I thought she brought some size and presence to the backcourt. She hustled, and was quick, and buried the open shot.With those others around, it may be tough to keep her, but she was just as good as Butts to me, and Batteast as well.

I haven't seen her play for a couple years, but she looked like she was ready for the W back then.

thetruth

PostPosted: 05/06/05 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who do you guys think the Shock will cut?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: