RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Comets salary cap situation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/05/05 12:40 pm    ::: Comets salary cap situation Reply Reply with quote

Arcain 89000
Swoopes 89000
Thompson 89000
Snow 80000
Phillips 65000
Canty 46800
Lambert 39000
Lyttle 38480
Hodges 32240

9 Players 568520
(2005 Cap 673000)
Balance 104480

Johnson 53000
Goodson 45427
McCrimmon 45427
Rasmussen 45427
Berthieu 36400
Blue 31200
Dant 31200
Ragland 31200

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/05/05 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How is Snow making more than Tari Phillips? Tari is a 6th year player and Snow has completed three seasons. Of course, they both came in before the CBA, so that might have something to do with it.

Also, according to the CBA, the chart for 2005 WNBA Rookie Scale show the base salary for Picks 5--8 to be $38,480 for the first year (Sancho) and $34,320 for all others (where Hodges and Dant would be).

The thing that bothers me is that your scenario leaves way too much money for Tiff Johnson to be maintained. I would rather see Raz and McCimmon kept at $91 grand, than Tiff and and Dant.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My question would be "Why is Arcain making the max"?

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
My question would be "Why is Arcain making the max"?

Pilight...I see no problem with that. She has more than earned that money for sacrificing her game and getting the max elsewhere. Without Coop and Swoopes in 2001, she showed her worth to be an All-Star and All-WNBA first team selection. I don't think we will see Janeth as a Comet after this deal. I see that money as a thank you for everything she's done for the organization; and she's done A WHOLE LOT!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pay the max as a thank you?

That's a really bad way to run a business.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
How is Snow making more than Tari Phillips? Tari is a 6th year player and Snow has completed three seasons. Of course, they both came in before the CBA, so that might have something to do with it.

Snow was part of the 2002 class, the last year where player salaries were determined under the old system (e.g., the first 4 picks got 57,500). That contract was for 2002 and 2003 and in 2004, Snow negotiated another contract.

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

Michelle's salary is probably based on her potential. She is the only player on this team who is the core to it's future after TT and SS are retired. It is important to make this her home. I will tell you this much...she better start playing like the money she's getting paid. I trust she will though. I think this is the year Michelle becomes one of the bright young stars in the league, and challenges for a spot on the All-Star team.

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

That bad business is done all the time in sports. Especially, if it's for a star player who has been underpaid for years. It's not like they can't afford it. Who isn't on the roster that should get a piece of her salary, and become a Comet?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

That bad business is done all the time in sports. Especially, if it's for a star player who has been underpaid for years. It's not like they can't afford it. Who isn't on the roster that should get a piece of her salary, and become a Comet?

See Steinbrenner, George.

MT_Swoopes

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:36 pm    ::: Re: Comets salary cap situation Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Johnson 53000
Goodson 45427
McCrimmon 45427
Rasmussen 45427
Berthieu 36400
Blue 31200
Dant 31200
Ragland 31200

What a slap in the face that Johnson makes more than any veteran?

It looks like Van's desire to run Canty at the point, eliminates Dant from contention. Hopefully, Godson and Rasmussen are his picks from this group.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty...if you are unaware, Janeth Arcain is one of the most highly regarded women's basketball players on the face of the earth. Us Yanks here in the U.S. might have invented the sport, but there happen to be some incredibly talented players beyond our shores.

I would further submit that you will probably not find a single player, coach or team representative within the WNBA that is not glad to see Number Nine back in Comets Red. Janeth Arcain is the epitome of the word "CLASS". I hope you get to see her play this season; you will find her a joy to watch in hard-nosed competition.

Any other disciples of the First Church of Janeth care to chime in?

Alepp03

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want Dant and Raz, drop Lambert or Canty and keep Goodson.

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am aware of Janeth's skills, etc. I was responding to the suggestion that she makes the max as a "thank you" for "everything she has done for the organization" as opposed to her value as a player. If it truly is thank-you money, that is a bad way to run an organization with a salary cap.

Try to be a little less sactimonious next time.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/05/05 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:
Who isn't on the roster that should get a piece of her salary, and become a Comet?

Look at the numbers up there. You know Van will keep two of Johnson, Goodson, and Rasmussen...or keep all three and dump Hodges. If we paid Arcain a more reasonable salary, we could keep Hodges and/or Dant.

As it is, we'll keep living in the past, play short, and if we get an injury then we'll be cooked.

I don't care how much protestation there is from New York, wehave the league's worst GM. At least Blaze has never fucked up to the point that they couldn't field a full team.

PostPosted: 05/05/05 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant to be more informative than sanctamoneous. I can in no way know what each of us on the board's knowledge base is regarding a particular team, so I just wanted to spread a little history around.

I guess I should be surprised about pilight questioning Janeth's value at the league's maximum salary. A simplistic answer is that it is probably the only way they could get her to come back, and they knew there were plenty of other teams that would offer that for her. But, that's just my opinion. Since she re-signed in Houston, we won't know what any other team would have been willing to pay her.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/05/05 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
I guess I should be surprised about pilight questioning Janeth's value at the league's maximum salary. A simplistic answer is that it is probably the only way they could get her to come back, and they knew there were plenty of other teams that would offer that for her.

If that's true, we might well have been better off to let her go somewhere else.

The team should be in rebuilding mode. They're not going to win now and they're not going to win in the forseeable future. Signing Janeth for the max is a holding action, all it really does is delay the process for a year.

PostPosted: 05/05/05 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can field 12 Dants and the sum of them won't be worth one Janeth. Plus she could be the missing piece on a lot of championship contenders. Including the Comets themselves. They need a scoring threat other than Swoopes who had injury problems. Janeth is a work-horse, injury free, talented and efficient. Besides being the best SG you have if you can't have Katie Smith or Diana Taurasi. If that's not worth 89k, then I don't know what is.
Stop being so whiney, look at your roster and look at NY's.
That's not even up for discussion.

PostPosted: 05/05/05 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a matter of interpretation. The Libs have some young talent in the Waffle, Hammon, and Christon. The Comets don't really do the young talent thing aside from Snow, and now finally Lyttle.

Neither team seems to have it together.

PostPosted: 05/05/05 2:58 pm    ::: Re: Comets salary cap situation Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Johnson 53000
Goodson 45427
McCrimmon 45427
Rasmussen 45427
Berthieu 36400
Blue 31200
Dant 31200
Ragland 31200

Who punched these numbers? Question Johnson was waived a week ago... Idea

Janeth deserves the Max... she's always been a great player. I think I know how she stays injury-free though...

BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/05/05 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Becky is 28, The Waffle doesn't impress nor is she reliable. Christon has just too heavy a burden to carry...

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:03 pm    ::: Re: Comets salary cap situation Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:

Who punched these numbers? Question Johnson was waived a week ago... Idea

Check your facts. You have the wrong Johnson.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:10 pm    ::: Re: Comets salary cap situation Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Admiral_Needa wrote:

Who punched these numbers? :?: Johnson was waived a week ago... :idea:

Check your facts. You have the wrong Johnson.

I am not even going to touch that line, Cam.

But, if for once, the Admiral's crystal ball could be correct...and there could be a Johnsonless Comets team.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:12 pm    ::: Re: Comets salary cap situation Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Johnson 53000
Goodson 45427
McCrimmon 45427
Rasmussen 45427
Berthieu 36400
Blue 31200
Dant 31200
Ragland 31200

What a slap in the face that Johnson makes more than any veteran?

It looks like Van's desire to run Canty at the point, eliminates Dant from contention. Hopefully, Godson and Rasmussen are his picks from this group.

$53000 is a lot for even a 7-year veteran... Shocked

pilight

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
look at your roster and look at NY's.
That's not even up for discussion.

I would take the Lib roster all day, every day. Let's look

PG: Hammon vs Nobody. A no brainer win for NY.

SG: V Johnson vs Arcain. VJ can do anything Janeth can do and then some. If she were Brazilian, VJ would be a many-time Olympian too.

SF: Robinson vs Swoopes. SS wins, but if she's the SS of last season it's not by much.

PF: Baranova vs Phillips/Thompson. Against Tari it's an easy win for the Lib. Against Tina at 100% it's a win for the Comets. Against just pregnant Tina it's a clear edge to Supernova.

C: Wauters vs Snow. Wauters is the better scorer, Snow is the better rebounder.

Bench: This is easy, because Houston has no bench. Christon is better than any two Houston reserves. Lyttle might turn out to be something, if Van doesn't cut her, but she's no better than the D-Train right now. KB Sharp would start in Houston.

PostPosted: 05/05/05 3:21 pm    ::: Re: Comets salary cap situation Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:

But, if for once, the Admiral's crystal ball could be correct...and there could be a Johnsonless Comets team.

Could be, yes. But Admiral stated Johnson was waived. He had the wrong Johnson. The Johnson at 53,000 is Tiffani Johnson, who has not (yet) been waived.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: