RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Comets: Canty PG starter? 10 man roster?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Futurama

PostPosted: 05/04/05 4:09 am    ::: Comets: Canty PG starter? 10 man roster? Reply Reply with quote

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkw/3167171

"Right now, we would be playing Dominique at the point out of a positive. We have played her (there) some in the past out of a negative. But she has gone overseas and played nothing but the point for a year. And my goodness, is she playing well."

Chancellor has an unusually nettlesome problem with which to deal this year. Tina Thompson is on pregnancy leave but will count against the 11-player WNBA roster limit when the season begins.

"We will carry 10 players instead of 11 players and maybe an IR (injured reserve)," Chancellor said. "So this is the most competitive camp we've ever had, by far."

so
1. Swoopes (SF)
2. Arcain (SG)
3. Canty (PG)
4. Phillips (PF)
5. Snow (C)
6. Lyttle (C/PF)
7. Goodson (SF)

8. Hodges or Ragland (SG)
9. T. Johnson or Rasmussen or Blue (PF)
10. Dant or Lambert or McCrimmon (PG)
IR. Thompson (PF)

damn salary cap.
I'm rooting for Hodges, Rasmussen and Dant.

sambista

PostPosted: 05/04/05 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i haven't seen dant play, but it's hard to believe chance wouldn't bank on mccrimmon's experience - high-pressure games, top team, western conference. lambert doesn't even come close to that and, based on others' observations, she's too indecisive when she's really up against it.

tiffany's still a possibility to hang on? (argh!) well, now that the liberty has gibson off its back, i'll concentrate my vibe on that. and also pray for houston that chance doesn't have second thoughts about gibson!

PostPosted: 05/04/05 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Van big on second chances? McCrimmon went through camp with the Comets last year and didn't make the cut. Would that affect the way he looks at her performance this year?

PostPosted: 05/04/05 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't remember him going off about canty like that - not since he first enlisted her. who knows how that man's mind works?

PostPosted: 05/04/05 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting article. Can't believe I'm saying this but I hope Canty works out for you Comet fans, she is quite good. A hell of a lot better than Lambert that's for sure!

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/04/05 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming the first 7 and Tina Thompson (IR), the aggregate salary of players 8,9, & 10 can't total more than ~$125. That's quick and dirty, but if its in the ballpark then how can VC afford to keep an 11th active player?
He can save money keeping Hodges over Ragland, but his back is to the wall not because his camp is overflowing with talent, but because Houston is looking at a lot of marginal veterans as backups and that tends to bloat the cap.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/04/05 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brilliant analysis, Blue. My quick tally leaves a little over 110K for three players, which means Futurama is spot on with the three additional players being Hodges, Raz and Dant.

Most importantly, that means no room in the inn for Blue or Johnson and that will be music to a lot of Comets' fans ears. Nothing personal on those players, but it is time to move on.

This might also be where Tom Cross proves his worth. The Comets have done so many things right so far, compared to the last two or three years, I hope they keep going in the right direction.

A quick question: Does anybody really think a team can compete for even as short a season as the W's, with only 10 players, one not even dressing out? Sounds like a difficult assignment to me.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 05/04/05 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anybody really think a team can compete for even as short a season as the W's, with only 10 players, one not even dressing out?

If there's a time to do it, the season before an expansion draft is it.

IMO, most teams trot out the 10 and 11s for limited mop ups, and those spots mostly go to young players who need to develop in practice and over the course of a season.

Houston should be OK as long as it keeps solid backups at the positions it needs to keep the core veterans legs fresh.

Use Goodson in platoon with Swoopes; a frontcourt of Phillips and Snow to fill in until Tina gets back, with someone like Kristen Rasmussen in a back up role. Expose the rookie Lyttle in situations where she has the highest likelihood of success.

It gets better when Thompson comes back-- a frontcourt rotation of Thompson, Snow, and Phillips backed up by Kristen Rasmussen and Sancho Lyttle isn't bad. The bigger concern is at guard, where Dominique Canty has been an experiment at PG since Nancy Lieberman was coaching Detroit. IMO, Nikki McCrimmon is insurance Van should keep if he can afford to. Of course, Janeth Arcain is a workhorse. This season, more than ever, she'll need to be.

Last edited by bluewolfvii on 05/04/05 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 05/04/05 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:
most teams trot out the 10 and 11s for limited mop ups, and those spots mostly go to young players who need to develop in practice and over the course of a season.

Van doesn't do that. He doesn't keep young players unless they're regular rotation players. His 10-11 players have always been people like Kelly G and MFoul, who are already as developed as they're going to get.

PostPosted: 05/04/05 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Face it, Pilight, the Comets haven't had an opportunity to play scrubs in a long time. I don't think Octavia Blue even played last year when Houston clubbed Detroit by 35 points...and Tina scored 30 points by herself, and Sheryl was on the bench the entire game.

Futurama

PostPosted: 05/04/05 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How would you run a 5 on 5 practice with only 9 players?
I guess Karleen Thompson better get in shape.

dtsnms

PostPosted: 05/04/05 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Futurama wrote:
How would you run a 5 on 5 practice with only 9 players?
I guess Karleen Thompson better get in shape.

Teams always keep practice players around; they don't get paid except for expenses, free admission to the games, and the chance to work their game. An acquaintenance of mine was with the Sun last year.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/04/05 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
I don't think Octavia Blue even played last year when Houston clubbed Detroit by 35 points...and Tina scored 30 points by herself, and Sheryl was on the bench the entire game.

Blue played 5 minutes in that game, as did Berthieu. PJ Kimbrough played 4. Those are typical of the players Van keeps at the end of the bench, not young players that might develop but players that have reached their potential at a low plateau.

PostPosted: 05/04/05 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked Lucianne, though...thought she was a tough cookie.

Futurama

PostPosted: 05/05/05 2:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:

Teams always keep practice players around; they don't get paid except for expenses, free admission to the games, and the chance to work their game. An acquaintenance of mine was with the Sun last year.

Do teams bring these practice players on the road?

SORF

PostPosted: 05/05/05 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My understanding is VC will have 10 players plus one on the IR...which will be TT at the start of the season...not ten total.

Ahem, I think I posted earlier that Canty would probably be our PG Wink ...here is my prediction as to who will make the roster based on what I saw at the scrimmage.

Guards...
Janeth Arcain. Dom Canty, Roneeka Hodges, Felcia Ragland, and either Jenni Dant or Shelia Lambert...those two are on the "bubble" to make this team.

Forwards & Centers
Sancho Lyttle, Tari Phillips, Kristen Rasmussen, Michelle Snow, & Sheryl Swoopes

IR...
Tina Thompson.

No Tiffani Johnson!!!!!! If there are any surprises, it will be here...hopefully VC can say adios to Tiff. Smile

SORF

PostPosted: 05/05/05 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Comets have practice players...usually good college men players, Rocket or NBA players from the Houston area have been practice players.

Damon Jones of the Miami Heat has been a practice player for the Comets...I guess Tina liked what she saw in his playing!!! Wink

Futurama

PostPosted: 05/05/05 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SORF - you think Ragland makes the team over Adrienne Goodson?

i'm still not sure about Canty as PG. wasn't Van hyping Ragland last year as a great PG? At least Ragland and Lambert can hit an outside shot. Nique just has no range outside the paint.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why will Dominique have to even attempt a 3-ball? I think Swoopes, Arcain, Thompson (when she returns) and Goodie can handle that responsiblity. With Snow and Phillips bangin' inside, the Comets need to make sure their parimeter players can play D on the the 3-ball shot. And I think Canty might do a good job in that regard.

Would her defense help make her more palpable in the one-spot? Not the best option, but if she can keep the likes of Whalen and Bird from going off, and take care of the ball (low T/O's), then she might well do at least as well as the pg by committee Houston tried, and Van demoralized, last season.

Jury is still out on the Comets...but it is interesting to see so much discussion about them. I think it says something about how the posters on this board appreciate the league, where it has been and where it is going in the future.

Tomorrow night will be interesting. Tomato-head will be in the house and we will get a look at the Alana, Shorty-Meek and D-Nasty show.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Why will Dominique have to even attempt a 3-ball? I think Swoopes, Arcain, Thompson (when she returns) and Goodie can handle that responsiblity. With Snow and Phillips bangin' inside, the Comets need to make sure their parimeter players can play D on the the 3-ball shot. And I think Canty might do a good job in that regard.

Would her defense help make her more palpable in the one-spot? Not the best option, but if she can keep the likes of Whalen and Bird from going off, and take care of the ball (low T/O's), then she might well do at least as well as the pg by committee Houston tried, and Van demoralized, last season.

Jury is still out on the Comets...but it is interesting to see so much discussion about them. I think it says something about how the posters on this board appreciate the league, where it has been and where it is going in the future.

Tomorrow night will be interesting. Tomato-head will be in the house and we will get a look at the Alana, Shorty-Meek and D-Nasty show.

Yes, the Comets fans here are keeping the tradition alive of obsessing over everything having to do with team. By the way, we expect you to take a wi-fi enabled laptop to the game and make minute by minute reports to this board. Or else!

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4ever_bball_fan wrote:
Why will Dominique have to even attempt a 3-ball? I think Swoopes, Arcain, Thompson (when she returns) and Goodie can handle that responsiblity.

Goodson is career 24% from three, Arcain is career 25% from three. Both are better than Canty, but neither is a consistent threat from long range.

Despite all the Pollyannas in H-Town, Tina Thompson will not be 100% when she returns. Every player that has come back from pregnancy has had a very noticable drop in their performance when they first return.

Quote:

People are afraid of them. If they can sort out the PG problem and TT is anywhere close to normal then The Comets are a serious threat to win it all.

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
People are afraid of them. If they can sort out the PG problem and TT is anywhere close to normal then The Comets are a serious threat to win it all.

I agree. In a league where chemistry is everything, you would think there would be more of an effort made to get a floor general. Ooops, there was. It's the coach who chased them off.

4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MT_Swoopes wrote:
pilight wrote:

I agree. In a league where chemistry is everything, you would think there would be more of an effort made to get a floor general. Ooops, there was. It's the coach who chased them off.

year after year, after year, after year...ad nauseum.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 05/05/05 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Comets had the cap space they could put Tina on IR and keep 11 active players. It really bites when the IR player is high salary.

The year Stepanova was pregnant, Phoenix had to keep her on IR and her salary was part of the total. It is different for suspended players.

Phoenix also has a mix of practice players and scrimmage at least weekly against a group of men: semi pro and college players mainly, however Bo Outlaw and of course, Ced Ceballos have been seen at several practices.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 05/05/05 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lot of people are down on the Comets, but check my predictions. I think they're going far. Even Van won't be able to screw them up this time.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: