RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cam, Pilight, Somebody... I have a Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sportsfan48

PostPosted: 04/23/05 2:29 pm    ::: Cam, Pilight, Somebody... I have a Question Reply Reply with quote

If a player is drafted by a team, but the team is unable to come to terms with the player and a contract is not signed and the player does not play that season, does that team lose the rights to the player?

I was thinking about Erin Phillips and the Sun. If she doesn't sign with them and does not play this season, is she a free agent next season?

If any of the restricted free agents this season do not have a signed contract by Monday (start of camp) and/or are not on the training camp roster submitted by their current team, will they become "free agents"? Would the ommision on the training camp roster be considered being "waived" or do teams have to do something specific to make them eligible for free agency?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/23/05 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Section 6. Restricted Free Agency.
(a) If a Restricted Free Agent does not sign an Offer Sheet (as defined below)
with any Team by the July 1 of the WNBA Season for which the Restricted Qualifying Offer is
made, and does not sign a Player Contract with the ROFR Team before that Season ends, then
her ROFR Team may reassert its Right of First Refusal for the following WNBA Season by
extending another Restricted Qualifying Offer (on the same terms as the prior Restricted

Qualifying Offer) by the next January 14. A ROFR Team may continue to reassert its Right of
First Refusal by following the foregoing procedure in each subsequent year in which that
Restricted Free Agent does not sign an Offer Sheet with any Team by the July 1 of the WNBA
Season for which the Restricted Qualifying Offer is made, and does not sign a Player Contract
with the ROFR Team before that Season ends.

----

Section 5. Negotiating Rights to Draft Rookies.
(a) A Team that drafts a player, during the period from the date of such
WNBA Draft (hereinafter the “Initial Draft”) to the date of the next Draft (hereinafter the
“Subsequent Draft”), shall be the only Team with which such player may negotiate or sign a
Player Contract, provided that, within seven (7) days following the Initial Draft, such Team has
made a Required Tender to such player. If a Team has made a Required Tender to such player
and the player has not signed a Player Contract within the period between the Initial Draft and
the Subsequent Draft, the Team that drafts the player shall lose its exclusive right to negotiate
with the player and the player will then be eligible for selection in the Subsequent Draft.
(b) A Team that, in the Subsequent Draft, drafts a player who (i) was drafted
in the Initial Draft, (ii) received a Required Tender from the Team that drafted her in the Initial
Draft, and (iii) did not sign a Player Contract with such first Team prior to the Subsequent Draft,
shall be, during the period from the date of the Subsequent Draft to the date of the next WNBA
Draft, the only Team with which such player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract, provided
such Team has made a Required Tender. If such player has not signed a Player Contract within
the period between the Subsequent Draft and the next WNBA Draft with the Team that drafted
her in the Subsequent Draft, that Team shall lose its exclusive right, which it obtained in the
Subsequent Draft, to negotiate with the player, and the player will become a Rookie Free Agent
as of the date of the next WNBA Draft.
(c) If a player is drafted in an Initial Draft and (i) receives a Required Tender,
(ii) does not sign a Player Contract with a Team prior to the Subsequent Draft, and (iii) is not

drafted by any Team in such Subsequent Draft, the player will become a Rookie Free Agent
immediately upon the conclusion of the Subsequent Draft.

PostPosted: 04/24/05 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Section 6. Restricted Free Agency.
(a) If a Restricted Free Agent does not sign an Offer Sheet (as defined below)
with any Team by the July 1 of the WNBA Season for which the Restricted Qualifying Offer is
made, and does not sign a Player Contract with the ROFR Team before that Season ends, then
her ROFR Team may reassert its Right of First Refusal for the following WNBA Season by
extending another Restricted Qualifying Offer (on the same terms as the prior Restricted

Qualifying Offer) by the next January 14. A ROFR Team may continue to reassert its Right of
First Refusal by following the foregoing procedure in each subsequent year in which that
Restricted Free Agent does not sign an Offer Sheet with any Team by the July 1 of the WNBA
Season for which the Restricted Qualifying Offer is made, and does not sign a Player Contract
with the ROFR Team before that Season ends.

----

Section 5. Negotiating Rights to Draft Rookies.
(a) A Team that drafts a player, during the period from the date of such
WNBA Draft (hereinafter the “Initial Draft”) to the date of the next Draft (hereinafter the
“Subsequent Draft”), shall be the only Team with which such player may negotiate or sign a
Player Contract, provided that, within seven (7) days following the Initial Draft, such Team has
made a Required Tender to such player. If a Team has made a Required Tender to such player
and the player has not signed a Player Contract within the period between the Initial Draft and
the Subsequent Draft, the Team that drafts the player shall lose its exclusive right to negotiate
with the player and the player will then be eligible for selection in the Subsequent Draft.
(b) A Team that, in the Subsequent Draft, drafts a player who (i) was drafted
in the Initial Draft, (ii) received a Required Tender from the Team that drafted her in the Initial
Draft, and (iii) did not sign a Player Contract with such first Team prior to the Subsequent Draft,
shall be, during the period from the date of the Subsequent Draft to the date of the next WNBA
Draft, the only Team with which such player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract, provided
such Team has made a Required Tender. If such player has not signed a Player Contract within
the period between the Subsequent Draft and the next WNBA Draft with the Team that drafted
her in the Subsequent Draft, that Team shall lose its exclusive right, which it obtained in the
Subsequent Draft, to negotiate with the player, and the player will become a Rookie Free Agent
as of the date of the next WNBA Draft.
(c) If a player is drafted in an Initial Draft and (i) receives a Required Tender,
(ii) does not sign a Player Contract with a Team prior to the Subsequent Draft, and (iii) is not

drafted by any Team in such Subsequent Draft, the player will become a Rookie Free Agent
immediately upon the conclusion of the Subsequent Draft.

Let me see if I read this correctly. If a RFA like Adrian Williams does not receive and sign an offer from another team by July 1, SASS still has right of first refusal and will have until an offer is made or she signs with them. Correct?

And it looks like the Sun took a big risk with Erin. If she is not coming this season and does not sign a contract with them, they will lose her rights and she will be eligible for next year's draft. And if a team drafts her and she still doesn't play and sign a contract, she will become a Rookie Free Agent in two years. Correct?

BTW -thanks for the info. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: