RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

LA Sparks 2005 WNBA Champs
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:42 pm    ::: LA Sparks 2005 WNBA Champs Reply Reply with quote

May as well engrave the trophy now... that and Penny Toler as GM of the Year Shocked

Leslie
    Claw/Thomas
    Mabika/Hodges
    Dixon/Macci
    Teasley
    Bibby?

Now stack that against every other lineup in the league and see what you get Shocked Yikes...

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:44 pm    ::: Re: LA Sparks 2005 WNBA Champs Reply Reply with quote

Not so fast. Who knows what other trades may take place...

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:46 pm    ::: Re: LA Sparks 2005 WNBA Champs Reply Reply with quote

and 2006. and 2007. and every year until Candace Parker takes over the league.

Look at how the balance has shifted between Seattle and LA. Seattle loses KV and a bunch of others for money reasons. LA adds Holdsclaw, one of the most talented few players in the world, and still pretty young.

yowza.

I think I will call the Lynx and tell them not to worry about trying to win the championship the next couple years. Just get some good young players and look ahead.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:48 pm    ::: Re: LA Sparks 2005 WNBA Champs Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:

Well unless you're thinking Tamika Catchings is going to be traded to MINN or SEA, and Diana to Detroit, I would start placing your bets in Vegas now... Confused

Shocked

BBallFanCT729

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:52 pm    ::: Re: LA Sparks 2005 WNBA Champs Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
BBallFanCT729 wrote:

Well unless you're thinking Tamika Catchings is going to be traded to MINN or SEA, and Diana to Detroit, I would start placing your bets in Vegas now... Confused

Shocked

Not all teams filled with star players win. Just ask the LA Lakers of last year.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/21/05 5:56 pm    ::: Re: LA Sparks 2005 WNBA Champs Reply Reply with quote

BBallFanCT729 wrote:
Not all teams filled with star players win. Just ask the LA Lakers of last year.

Who was the Laker's starting SF again? Question

Previous champions include Houston, LA, DET and SEA... Shocked

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:06 pm    ::: Re: LA Sparks 2005 WNBA Champs Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
May as well engrave the trophy now... that and Penny Toler as GM of the Year Shocked

Leslie
    Claw/Thomas
    Mabika/Hodges
    Dixon/Macci
    Teasley
    Bibby
    ?

Now stack that against every other lineup in the league and see what you get Shocked Yikes...

Don't forget about Whitmore Very Happy

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:13 pm    ::: Hold on is right. Reply Reply with quote

Neither one of these players finished last season but even judging them at their best... I don't know why you guys would be thinking that Holdsclaw is so fabulously superior to Milton (at WC ball, no less) that this trade makes the Sparks a shoe in for a WNBA title. That's stretching it a bit. I'm not saying the Sparks aren't the favorite but they're the perennial favorites. How Mique fits in on this team and in this town remains to be seen.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They are a much better team on paper, but will Mique be happy being second fiddle to Leslie?
That remains to be seen indeed.

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I must concur with Jammer. Too many question marks over L.A to label them 2005 WNBA Champs *now*.
4ever_bball_fan

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One thing can be noted: The West will be WILDER than ever this year!

And just think: Leslie, Holdsclaw and Mabika will be welcoming Suzy Batkovic to the WNBA on May 21st after the rest of the Storm get their rings and raise the banner.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well Milton was out in the latter half of the season and LA got to the playoffs... So really the question is whether Mique is that much better than Christi Thomas? Shocked

Add that to the fact that Seattle's roster took a page from Lauren and stripped, then consider that Sacramento made roster moves to plan for the future, Tina Thompson is pregnant, and that leaves Minnesota as the sole contender in the West. Idea That said, I'd bet on LA. Confused

In the East, there's Detroit and Charlotte, but again, I'd bet on LA.

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Again, they are very good on paper, but Mique was never, I repeat, NEVER, a second option. She is used to being the go-to player.
How will Teasley accomodate that?
How is she going to keep LL and Mique happy?
I believe the heavy burden is on Teasley of all people...

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There will be chemistry issues, mark my word. Just wait until Holdsclaw and Teasley fight over the last Prozac! Shocked

I know, it was a bad joke. I just couldn't resist.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
There will be chemistry issues, mark my word. Just wait until Holdsclaw and Teasley fight over the last Prozac! Shocked

Laughing

I think Mique will be real happy real quick. Because she'll have a good coach for the first time since college. And she'll be winning. Game after game after game... winning.

Keegan

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Just wait until Holdsclaw and Teasley fight over the last Prozac! Shocked

I love it Laughing
pilight

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:
I think Mique will be real happy real quick. Because she'll have a good coach for the first time since college. And she'll be winning. Game after game after game... winning.

We don't know who the coach is. The Sparks history isn't promising as far as hiring good coaches goes.

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As long as she gets along with Leslie...that's my only if. Otherwise, they're pretty much unbeatable. I can't believe that trade. Damaged goods for the East's premier player. Unfuckingbelievable.

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

womens_hoops wrote:

Good point and I hope she's totally happy here. Keep her away from Slovy though, he hates the place. Twisted Evil

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
Again, they are very good on paper, but Mique was never, I repeat, NEVER, a second option. She is used to being the go-to player.
How will Teasley accomodate that?
How is she going to keep LL and Mique happy?
I believe the heavy burden is on Teasley of all people...

Can't say for sure, but it's a good gamble that they'll figure something out... Confused LA has seemed to keep happy their star-studded team in the past, and I'm sure The Claw is willing to sacrifice to fit in, since she knows she's now going to a yearly championship contender, and playing with Lisa Leslie Shocked

BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/21/05 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She must be happy to get such a great shot at a ring. And knowing that she'll play a big part. I'm happy for her, but I'm not happy for LL lol

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
She must be happy to get such a great shot at a ring. And knowing that she'll play a big part. I'm happy for her, but I'm not happy for LL lol

Neither am I, but hey, this off-season has been quite ridiculous.

Can't wait to see Lisa's reaction in the studios tonight Razz She must be dancing in the green room. Stacey too, considering she would be playing in WAS without The Claw if she didn't take this ESPN job, lol...

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BCBG25 wrote:
As long as she gets along with Leslie...that's my only if. Otherwise, they're pretty much unbeatable. I can't believe that trade. Damaged goods for the East's premier player. Unfuckingbelievable.

Big picture... yeah it's another "why is LA always playing with a stacked deck?" transaction. No question. A player who at times has seemed that she could be the best women's baller ever, still young and potentially coming into her prime (pretty scary thought), traded to the LA Sparks, who needed Mique in place of Milton like Bill Gates needs another billion dollars to go with his other 50.

But are the Sparks really going to be that much better if both players are at 100%? What is 100% of Holdsclaw playing beside Lisa Leslie? We don't even know what that looks like. We certainly know what Milton can do in that role at full power. There's two titles and five years of regular season league dominance that attest to Milton's role on the Sparks.

Looking at the first question in the last paragraph it's pretty obvious that Mique, given Milton's torn ACL, is far and away the better choice if you're picking from the two and she's a better choice on any other team even if Milton didn't have an ACL injury. How could she not be, she's a franchise player and Milton is a role player?

It's a complicated situation. Should Milton come roaring back from her injury, like Swoopes did a few years ago, I think the Sparks would have been better off sticking with her.

On the other hand... you have to ask yourself how much scoring and rebounding dominance Lisa Leslie has left in her. She might be more ready at this point to pick her spots than she's ready to carry those big numbers night in and night out for the next two or three years. Her numbers last season were right at her career avgs but she has had better seasons, number wise.

She's also 33 years old.

Like I said, on the surface it's another stack deck trade for the Sparks. You have to give them credit for the guts it takes to trade away a pillar of their dynasty for a superstar player with issues.

Personally, I will always prefer pillars of dynasties to superstars with issues.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/21/05 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
womens_hoops wrote:

Good point and I hope she's totally happy here. Keep her away from Slovy though, he hates the place. :twisted:

lol!
I won't say anything bad about L.A. when Chamique is around.

I'll be in Indy by then anyway.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: