RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Elaine Powell Fight at Polish Finals
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 03/08/05 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if there's something to the post to which blue referred, something more going on that pushed ep over the edge, then i'm more disturbed by that prospect. that said, whatever happened earlier and however many reasons ep can give for snapping, she'll have to pay the price. her life wasn't threatened (far as i can tell), and it becomes a slippery slope when we start justifying punches based on various x's, y's and z's.

i still woulda grabbed the girl's uni and given her something to think about. i think they'd be hard-pressed to charge me with . . . grabbing. in fact, if i had my wits about me in that split second, i might've made it look like i was just helping the girl up. by the scruff of her freakin neck.

PostPosted: 03/08/05 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

michalu, thanks for the post.

In US we try to get as much information as we can before we judge somebody. We are shocked Elaine attacked Yelena and are trying to understand this.

Your posts are helping us and sharing the film clip was especially helpful. I read the Lotos Gydnia fan forums after the Deanna Nolan incident and although there were a couple rascist remarks, most of the fans seemed supportive of Deanna.

It is alarming to us to see not only Elaine, but Deanna Nolan so angry at this player. We don't know what led up to this but your explantion of the officials letting the game out of hand is helpful. Please continue to keep us informed with the facts.

stever

PostPosted: 03/08/05 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...kudos to whoever found this video!...I predict it'll be dissected more than the Zapruder film!

8^)

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/08/05 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Link to English speaking general fan board in Poland.

http://www.basketmania.pl/viewtopic.php?t=3037&sid=a19b22e81d481e0098673c7005a292fd

Paragon gives two links. The first is local news coverage of the incident. (Click on the tiny tv on the website that opens in his link) The second is a different angle from what I saw previously on the play and what happens in its aftermath.

princecharming

PostPosted: 03/08/05 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bull, EP might not have meant to hurt but she did and she can't do anything about it now. The girl did provoke her in kicking in the ankle but damn she went after the girl on the floor. When you punch someone on the ground in a downward motion that is intentional and she hit her right in the face. EP deserves whatever is coming to her there is no cause for that.

womens_hoops

PostPosted: 03/08/05 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, I frankly don't even know how you can say that EP didn't mean to hurt her.

The opponent was on the ground. EP basically sucker punched her, and hard. When you punch someone as hard as you can directly in the face, what else can your intent be but to injure her?

If she wasn't trying to injure her, what was she trying to do? Just hit her really hard in the face without hurting her?

michalu

PostPosted: 03/08/05 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluewolfvii wrote:

http://www.basketmania.pl/viewtopic.php?t=3037&sid=a19b22e81d481e0098673c7005a292fd

Paragon gives two links. The first is local news coverage of the incident. (Click on the tiny tv on the website that opens in his link) The second is a different angle from what I saw previously on the play and what happens in its aftermath.

Oh, I haven't seen this in TV thanks. First girl, who is talking, is our (Wisla's) captain, Pati Czepiec, who were playing in US on university. She says that she haven't seen such event during whole her career, in Poland and USA. Second person is Gdynia's coach, who told that he has to watch it again, and now, with full of emotions he doesn't want to comment that.

Today Elaine in TV appologied for what she did. If I see this, I try to write exact what she said.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/08/05 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let us cut Elaine Artest some slack...there was some provocation. But her reaction in light of the relatively mild degree of provocation was wholly unwarranted and, frankly, frightening.

Slovydal

PostPosted: 03/08/05 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched the video over again and I admit the girl was already down when Elaine hit her.
As fearless pointed out, her Mom died recently. Mine's did almost two years ago and believe me that was not a time to say or do anything to me.
Like the alcohol thing with Nolan - having been in the situation, I don't want to pass judgement.

smenko

PostPosted: 03/08/05 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The more times I take a look at that video the more disgusted I get. I agree with Ted--it is horrible.

princecharming

PostPosted: 03/08/05 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry EP does not deserve any slack. I know her mom died but that is not an excuse to try and injure somebody whether she meant it or not. Yes the player provoked her but she didn't try to maim her. From my point of view I saw fire and anger in her eyes and she meant it. Many say EP's mom died and my condolescences to her but I have to think about this way is this anyway for EP to honor her mom's memory. I am not trying to get personal but if it was me this is not the way I would want it. If EP was not emotionally ready to play because of her mom's death she should of taken some time off or not play all together. I'm sorry but if people are trying to defend her by using EP's mom's death than that is really sad. The more I watch it the more I am scared for players on the court and the more I am disgusted with it. EP deserves everything that is coming to her.

Keegan

PostPosted: 03/08/05 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw the video.

Shocked is the appropriate response.

Oh dear - she's really dug a hole for herself now. Unless the other player doesn't want to pursue it, criminal charges are warranted.
BCBG25

PostPosted: 03/08/05 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did Hillary Swank practice with EP for Million Dollar Baby?
She has a future in boxing, man, that was right on the kisser, yikes.

PostPosted: 03/08/05 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it looks as though the hit sent her face directly into the floor. that makes the punch so much worse.

loosing your mom is a horrible thing, but unless EP is going to try to claim temporary insanity, she should be punished for the crime.

bluewolfvii wrote:
In US we try to get as much information as we can before we judge somebody.

ummm... not sure if you intended it this way, but this comment sounds really arrogant. the us is not the only country in the world that adheres to "guilty before proven innocent". in fact, our track record is seriously upsetting on that account. from the nation that brought the world torture at abu ghraib, suspension of habeas corpus, and multiple abrogations of the geneva convention, the claim is actually quite a stretch.

PostPosted: 03/08/05 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the girl snapped. why keep trying to rationalize an act of snappage? should've never happened, just as the detroit melee should've never happened. i understand, i can even relate, if she was in a whack state of mind, and that's my version of cutting her slack, meaning i don't think elaine powell the individual is malicious by nature. (i'm a bit more suspect about artest, but then, i have no idea what was going on in his world at the time.) but there are consequences nevertheless, and punishment is fair.

as for expecting a person who is in mourning or in some kind of shock to have the wherewithal to even recognize that she needs some time off, or time to heal, or professional help, get real. (chamique holdsclaw . . . hello! didn't we already have this conversation?)

on another note, large marge had a car accident? did i miss this?

PostPosted: 03/08/05 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nolan in Poland - DUI
Powell in Poland - Artest

What is this, Girls Gone Laimbeer?

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/08/05 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

michalu wrote:
bluewolfvii wrote:

Oh, I haven't seen this in TV thanks. First girl, who is talking, is our (Wisla's) captain, Pati Czepiec, who were playing in US on university. She says that she haven't seen such event during whole her career, in Poland and USA. Second person is Gdynia's coach, who told that he has to watch it again, and now, with full of emotions he doesn't want to comment that.

Today Elaine in TV appologied for what she did. If I see this, I try to write exact what she said.

Thanks, michalu. We appreciate whatever you can pass on to us here or on the ESPN board.

Rachel_1511

PostPosted: 03/08/05 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked That sh*t from Powell is just indefensable, really.

watson3313

PostPosted: 03/08/05 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, I don't know about ya'll's opinion but I don't think there was a punch landed that hard in whole entire Pistons/Pacers brawl. That was clean as clean can get, wow.

watson3313

PostPosted: 03/08/05 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, I don't know about ya'll's opinion but I don't think there was a punch landed that hard in whole entire Pistons/Pacers brawl. That was clean as clean can get, wow.

bluewolfvii

PostPosted: 03/08/05 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sebibb wrote:
on another note, large marge had a car accident? did i miss this?

Yes, Margo was involved in a car accident last week.

http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?forumID=766&threadID=1395668&lastPostID=7302645

Smoovie

PostPosted: 03/08/05 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From that video, it looked like the girl on her back, kicked at Powell first. Damn, you don't talk mess or kick at someone while you're still on your back. That was dumb Shocked

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
sambista

PostPosted: 03/08/05 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dayum. our (wnba) girls need to come home right now. there's some bad mojo goin' on across the way.

PostPosted: 03/08/05 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smoovie wrote:
From that video, it looked like the girl on her back, kicked at Powell first. Damn, you don't talk mess or kick at someone while you're still on your back. That was dumb Shocked

I dunno if you could even call it a kick from Skerovic... it's not much at all, she doesn't even extend her leg fully! ... Unlike Powell who wound her shoulder up! Evil or Very Mad

Smoovie

PostPosted: 03/08/05 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rachel_1511 wrote:
Smoovie wrote:

I dunno if you could even call it a kick from Skerovic... it's not much at all, she doesn't even extend her leg fully! ... Unlike Powell who wound her shoulder up! Evil or Very Mad

Yeah, but as a rule if you are laying on your back and you don't want a fight, you keep your hands, feet and insults to yourself. You can't defend yourself on your back, and if you provoke someone while you're down there, you're gonna have too. It looked like it ending with her on the floor until she kicked at Powell. Not saying that she's responsible for Powell's emotions, but she was in control of her feet and it could have ending right before she kicked out. From the video, she did make contact.

To compete on that level, an athlete is a bundle of channeled adrenalin and aggressive emotions, anyway. If something happens and those emotions are derailed, you get situations like that. That girl is a professional athlete too, she should have known better and just took her foul like a gamer. Did she think she could just kick at her with a reaction?

I'm certainly not trying to make an excuse for Powell, but she didn't jump on the girl until she kicked at her. Now take that, the high level of adrenalin and emotions and you have a derailment (beatdown) Powell is no monster here, she just got caught up

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.•´*~Smoov
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: