RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Maya Moore sweepstakes
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/23/10 6:39 pm    ::: Maya Moore sweepstakes Reply Reply with quote

Given the history of the NBA and WNBA, I think it should be clear that if New York or L.A. are in the lottery, Maya Moore will wind up in one of those two cities.

Which means that if teams outside those two cities are thinking seriously of tanking to have a shot at Moore, they better hope the Liberty and Sparks are in the playoffs.

PostPosted: 04/23/10 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So you're suggesting that the lottery is rigged? Shocked

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/23/10 6:49 pm    ::: Re: Maya Moore sweepstakes Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Given the history of the NBA and WNBA, I think it should be clear that if New York or L.A. are in the lottery, Maya Moore will wind up in one of those two cities.

Yeah, because LeBron ending up in Ohio, Oden and Durant going to Oregon and Washington/Oklahoma (when Boston were 2nd in ping-pong balls), Diana Taurasi going to the desert, Seimone Augustus to the frozen north etc. etc. etc. really backs up this concept.

No offense, but this is just as much of a pile of crap as the last twenty times you threw it at the wall hoping it would stick.

jap

PostPosted: 04/23/10 6:49 pm    ::: Re: Maya Moore sweepstakes Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Which means that if teams outside those two cities are thinking seriously of tanking to have a shot at Moore, they better hope the Liberty and Sparks are in the playoffs.

Are you actually accusing the Donna & the WNBA of having an agenda? Wink

PostPosted: 04/23/10 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since LeBron went to high school in Ohio, that could have been considered ... but I doubt it.

The NBA no longer needs to indulge in such things, as even with the Knicks struggling they still sell out MSG, or close.

It was never in doubt that CP3 was going to L.A., nor will Moore land anywhere but N.Y. if the Liberty are in the lottery. I'm not saying anyone's evil here, as this is simply good business. The success of the WNBA is much more dependent on the success of the New York franchise than on any other, with L.A. second. Tossing Maya Moore to Tulsa would be foolish, short-sighted and could conceivably kill the league; guaranteeing that she goes to New York gives everyone in the WNBA, not just the Liberty, the best chance to succeed.

(And for the record, the NBA lottery deal I was referring to was Patrick Ewing to the Knicks ...)

PostPosted: 04/23/10 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What will happen if Maya is offered a Rhodes scholarship ? I believe she is on the list of students for this award.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/23/10 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
(And for the record, the NBA lottery deal I was referring to was Patrick Ewing to the Knicks ...)

Well obviously, since that's the one everyone refers to. Of course, that was twenty-five years ago. As ever with arguments like this, you pick out the one or two pieces that can be made to fit the theory, and ignore the twenty or thirty that just flat-out make it look ridiculous.

How exactly did Diana Taurasi, the closest thing women's basketball had to a superstar coming out of college, end up in freaking Arizona in the League of Fixes? A lottery that New York were also a part of, by the way.

P.S. No offense meant to all the Phoenicians out there. Just following Clay's logic.

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 04/23/10 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
How exactly did Diana Taurasi, the closest thing women's basketball had to a superstar coming out of college, end up in freaking Arizona in the League of Fixes? A lottery that New York were also a part of, by the way.

I'm not necessarily sure Bird going to Seattle would've been part of the master plan, either...

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/23/10 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah really. If the league was fixing anything, they would have made 1,000,000% sure that Bird wound up in NY.

Clay, c'mon man.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/23/10 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I'm not necessarily sure Bird going to Seattle would've been part of the master plan, either...

I had her in my post as well, but I wasn't sure if a) New York were in that lottery, or b) whether the WNBA had a lottery back then. So I stuck with the obvious one in a year where I knew more of the details.

Linzin

PostPosted: 04/23/10 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I had her in my post as well, but I wasn't sure if a) New York were in that lottery, or b) whether the WNBA had a lottery back then. So I stuck with the obvious one in a year where I knew more of the details.

IIRC, 2001 was the last year with reverse-order-of-the-standings draft picks and 2002 was the first lottery.

PostPosted: 04/23/10 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:
Yeah really. If the league was fixing anything, they would have made 1,000,000% sure that Bird wound up in NY.

Clay, c'mon man.

Except the only teams eligible in the 2002 lottery were Washington, Detroit, Seattle. So New York was not a possibility. I believe New York lost to Charlotte in the 2001 Eastern Conference Finals.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/23/10 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Linzin wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
p_d_swanson wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

IIRC, 2001 was the last year with reverse-order-of-the-standings draft picks and 2002 was the first lottery.

Yep, 2002 was the first year of the draft lottery, so technically Sue Bird was the first ever lottery pick in WNBA history. Wink

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/23/10 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Well obviously, since that's the one everyone refers to. Of course, that was twenty-five years ago. As ever with arguments like this, you pick out the one or two pieces that can be made to fit the theory, and ignore the twenty or thirty that just flat-out make it look ridiculous.

P.S. No offense meant to all the Phoenicians out there. Just following Clay's logic.

New York was in the Diana Taurasi Draft lottery, unfortunately their number didn't come up. Wink

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 04/23/10 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Except the only teams eligible in the 2002 lottery were Washington, Detroit, Seattle. So New York was not a possibility.

But if the league was as interested in delivering specific players to specific teams as Clay insists, they could've decided against implementing the Lottery and cooked up some sort of regional draft...

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/23/10 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibWNBAFan wrote:

Clay, c'mon man.

Yeah, and ex-Gopher Whalen would have ended up in MIN, ex-Huskie Charles would have ended up in CON and ex-Rutgers Pondexter would have ended up in NY...

Oh whoops, bad example. Twisted Evil Razz

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/23/10 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
Except the only teams eligible in the 2002 lottery were Washington, Detroit, Seattle. So New York was not a possibility.

But if the league was as interested in delivering specific players to specific teams as Clay insists, they could've decided against implementing the Lottery and cooked up some sort of regional draft...

I assumed he meant fixing it with the teams in the lottery, like 2008 with the Sparks getting the #1 pick in 2008, not a regional draft. He say if LA or New York are in the lottery they will get the top pick, not saying forgo the lottery.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/23/10 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

Clay, c'mon man.

Yeah, and ex-Gopher Whalen would have ended up in MIN, ex-Huskie Charles would have ended up in CON and ex-Rutgers Pondexter would have ended up in NY...

Oh whoops, bad example. Twisted Evil Razz

But all those are by trade not fixing the draft lottery. Wink

p_d_swanson

PostPosted: 04/23/10 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
I assumed he meant fixing it with the teams in the lottery, like 2008 with the Sparks getting the #1 pick in 2008, not a regional draft. He say if LA or New York are in the lottery they will get the top pick, not saying forgo the lottery.

Right, but since the Lottery didn't exist prior to Bird's senior season, there was no reason to suddenly install it if the league wanted to make sure she ended up in a Liberty uniform. In 2008, the team that had the best chance of gaining the #1 pick via the Lottery did so. Clearly a shocking conspiracy...

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/23/10 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

p_d_swanson wrote:
GEF34 wrote:

Right, but since the Lottery didn't exist prior to Bird's senior season, there was no reason to suddenly install it if the league wanted to make sure she ended up in a Liberty uniform. In 2008, the team that had the best chance of gaining the #1 pick via the Lottery did so. Clearly a shocking conspiracy...

Yes, I see your point now, good observation.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/23/10 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty have been in the lottery three times and got the #1 pick one of those time (but they unfortunately traded the pick before the lottery). They got the #5 pick in both of their other lottery opportunities.

The Sparks have been in the lottery once and they got the #1.

You and Pinocchio are probably related
Full of criss-crossed fits, you lie all the time
Your tongue should be embarrassed, you're a threat to mankind
GEF34

PostPosted: 04/23/10 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The Liberty have been in the lottery three times and got the #1 pick one of those time (but they unfortunately traded the pick before the lottery). They got the #5 pick in both of their other lottery opportunities.

I guess the league forgot New York traded away the pick. Wink Laughing

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 04/23/10 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Could the league have wanted Sue Bird to be in SEA? NY at the time had a guard rotation of Weatherspoon, Becky and VJ... 3 of the Liberty's most popular players ever, and NY was actually good back then.

Meanwhile, people were hoping for a Stockton-Malone type dynamic with Sue and LJ, and SEA wasn't good...

threefrom60

PostPosted: 04/24/10 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I happen to believe some of the conspiracy stuff. Yes, there are alot of examples that make it seem unlikely, but you also won't be able to convince me that it's not something of a possibility either. If I were the WNBA, I'd make damn sure that Maya Moore ends up in NY should there be a realistic shot of NY winning the lottery on their own. As a fan, that's what I hope happens anyway - from a financial standpoint, but also from a talent standpoint... Parker and Taurasi are enough for me, thanks.

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/24/10 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
LibWNBAFan wrote:

Clay, c'mon man.

Except the only teams eligible in the 2002 lottery were Washington, Detroit, Seattle. So New York was not a possibility. I believe New York lost to Charlotte in the 2001 Eastern Conference Finals.

What PD said. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: