RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2024 Presidential Election
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/17/24 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No one who would make a meaningful improvement to that state of steady decline is ever going to be the POTUS

PostPosted: 01/17/24 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
No one who would make a meaningful improvement to that state of steady decline is ever going to be the POTUS

And that’s a fact I would hope we all could agree upon.

PostPosted: 01/17/24 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, jammerbirdi, the country is a shithole— not compared to any previous time in our country’s history, nor compared to any other specific country on the planet today— but just compared to what you think this country COULD be?

Do I have that right?

pilight

PostPosted: 01/17/24 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ever optimistic jammer thinks every country is a shithole

PostPosted: 01/17/24 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
So, jammerbirdi, the country is a shithole— not compared to any previous time in our country’s history, nor compared to any other specific country on the planet today— but just compared to what you think this country COULD be?

Do I have that right?

No you don’t. I said, “I would compare the shithole I consider this country to be NOW to the country it once was.”

Last edited by jammerbirdi on 01/17/24 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/17/24 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, so then I guess my initial question to you still remains: our country is currently a shithole… compared to when? In your view, when (specifically) was this country NOT a shithole, compared to now? Gimme a non-shithole year for the USA.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/17/24 12:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think you missed the point of my messy bedroom analogy. It was a rejection of your line of argument. No one is required to compare anything here and now in the US to anything else in order to claim that our country is a shithole.

This country is this country and it is a unique society, with a unique history, government, and economy. We have been a very prosperous nation with at one time a very high standard of living. I DID however, mostly as to not come off as completely obstinate, but also because it is a quite valid and very stark contrast, offer that I would and AM comparing the state of the country now with what it once was.

I don’t know how to make any of this any clearer. I mean, I considered rhetorically and graphically, with graphic images, stating the theory of my case that the country is a shithole. But, AGAIN, as I said, we have entered a moment in time when intelligent people are no longer agreeing on the most basic of facts. So to make my case to someone who really doesn’t see what I see and what so many others see has gone south in the US is not something I’m inclined to waste my time on.

I don’t know if people are hung up on the figure of speech ‘shithole’. Did that set you off? Maybe because Trump used it? Good lord I hope that’s not the level people are on. It’s just an expression, a figure of speech, that existed long before Donald Trump.

The quality of life in this country has deteriorated greatly for all but the more affluent in the more affluent parts of the country. .Is that better? And if even those people aren’t either seeing or feeling the quality of life decline then they truly are privileged. The working and lower middle classes have been bled dry (sorry, another figure of speech) by the more affluent by decades of wage stagnation, loss of health benefits, busting of unions, complete employment sectors of the economy disappearing overseas and an ever rising cost of living.

But there are many more more horrific examples that I haven’t touched on. And I hope I don’t have to in a thread that’s supposed to be about the upcoming election.

PostPosted: 01/17/24 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming jammer is not gonna commit to naming a specific prior time period in which America was better/greater (or not a “shithole”), I’m just gonna generally note that aging human beings like ourselves seem to have a natural pre-programmed impulse to romanticize how things were in some hazy, non-specific “back then” period, relative to today. It’s not a new impulse, though current technologies like social media and the ideological silo-ization of news delivery allows us to indulge that impulse to extreme levels.

But in almost (though not necessarily *every*) objectively measurable way, the median American citizen is better off now than he or she was at any point in the past. And that’s no less true for American citizens from historically-marginalized populations.

Of course, some rando on a message board (i.e. me) saying the above is no match for the power of the afformentioned nostalgic impulse, especially once said impulse has been supercharged by Facebook or Fox News. So I’m really just wasting everyone’s time right now. Most especially mine. For that I apologize.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 01/17/24 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Okay, so then I guess my initial question to you still remains: our country is currently a shithole… compared to when? In your view, when (specifically) was this country NOT a shithole, compared to now? Gimme a non-shithole year for the USA.

I don’t know why you think anyone should feel compelled to answer you at all. Can you demonstrates that your questions are in good faith? Doesn’t seem like they are. You seem annoyed. And VERY much hung up on the word “shithole.” Which is kind of childish.Why out of everything I’ve written in this thread did that word trigger you?

Shithole is an expression. And this country HAS become a shithole. It is the perfect albeit crude slang expression for the state our country is currently in. I’m very sorry you don’t see it that way, that you don’t see the suffering and despair of your fellow citizens. Because if people like you don’t see or care to acknowledge the decline then you’re going to go on your merry way disinclined to become bothered enough to demand something better.

PostPosted: 01/17/24 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Assuming jammer is not gonna commit to naming a specific prior time period in which America was better/greater (or not a “shithole”), I’m just gonna generally note that aging human beings like ourselves seem to have a natural pre-programmed impulse to romanticize how things were in some hazy, non-specific “back then” period, relative to today. It’s not a new impulse, though current technologies like social media and the ideological silo-ization of news delivery allows us to indulge that impulse to extreme levels.

But in almost (though not necessarily *every*) objectively measurable way, the median American citizen is better off now than he or she was at any point in the past. And that’s no less true for American citizens from historically-marginalized populations.

Of course, some rando on a message board (i.e. me) saying the above is no match for the power of the afformentioned nostalgic impulse, especially once said impulse has been supercharged by Facebook or Fox News. So I’m really just wasting everyone’s time right now. Most especially mine. For that I apologize.

I wish I would’ve left everything in my response to you last night. Because I preemptively anticipated the argument that you make here in your first paragraph. Which is a very common claim. It’s nostalgia. Vague longing for a better past that didn’t actually exist. Sad, actually. Poor old farts. They just don’t remember the past accurately.

Like I don’t remember being hired into the steel mill at $5.29 an hour which is about $25 an hour today. Along with tens of thousands of others. With full benefits.

I don’t remember my thriving hometown. The thriving region. A place where NO ONE had financial insecurity or envy. I don’t remember working with almost as many blacks as whites. Everyone able to buy a house almost right out of high school as soon as you were hired into the mill. Get married. Have kids. New cars, vacations.

Now let me really stick a nail in your balloon.

I was hired into the mill at $5.29 an hour. Within a year I was making over $7 an hour. That was in 1977. In today’s dollars that would be almost $30. The federal minimum wage at this very moment is $7.50 an hour. Which is, let me check, oh yeah, in today’s dollars, $7.50. 1977 was almost a half century ago. How in the WORLD can you argue that things are better now. Better for WHO? The American worker? Their children?

The cost of living is VASTLY different today than it was when I was making $7 an hour with full benefits in the steel mill. But there’s the minimum wage sitting at $7.50.

You get out of highschool in America today and you get a job at McDonalds and almost immediately you can buy a house and start a family? Sure.

You’re not looking at the money, man. Somehow, you’ve lost your way. You don’t give a shit about the money. It’s not your problem. This that I’ve described is the story of the American worker and has been since Ronald Reagan. Are ‘t you a member of the union? I’m under the impression that you were a liberal or progressive Democrat. Maybe I’m wrong because you seem to be saying Americans never had it so good as they do today.

PostPosted: 01/17/24 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know what’s funny? But not actually funny. Is you’ve got millennials and gen z’ers CRYING about their economic struggles right now and how it is impossible for so many of them to keep their heads above water with minimum wage jobs or service or gig jobs with NO healthcare or benefits.

And they are BLASTING boomers saying WE don’t understand that they don’t have the kind of more fair employment economy that we came up in.

Check out this PYT. https://x.com/financialphys/status/1746588549355327696?s=46&t=mZ-Mo4lgJ4IlCoxTM82C2g

Uh, hello. You can’t have it both ways. This is what so many of us have been saying for years now. What they DONT understand though is that those great times for American workers rapidly came to an end during the Reagan administration. And today many boomers are having to work till they drop in drug stores or Walmart for $7.50 an hour. And if they can’t they’re cutting their pills into thirds.

PostPosted: 01/17/24 3:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 80s are not the time Boomers came up in. That's Gen X that got screwed.

PostPosted: 01/17/24 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammer, back in your vaunted 1977...

*The U.S. unemployment rate (6.4%) was almost 1.8x higher than it is today (3.7%). The unemployment rate for Black people (14.0%) was 2.7x higher than it is today (5.2%).

*The U.S. rate of inflation (6.5%) was almost 2x higher than it is today (3.4%).

*The percentage of Americans with no health insurance (13%) was 1.7x higher than it is today (7.9%).

*The U.S.'s infant mortality rate (13.9 per 1,000 live births) was 2.6x higher than it is today (5.3 per 1,000 live births).

*The US's murder rate (8.8 per 100,000 people) was 1.6x higher than it is today (5.4 per 100,000 people).

*The median Black household earned 34% less annually ($34,950) than it does today ($53,500)... note that both figures are in today's inflation-adjusted dollars.

*Same-sex intercourse was illegal in the majority of US states. Same-sex marriage is legal in all 50 US states today.

*Only 35% of Americans approved of interracial marriage. Today it's at 94%.

The above are objective, statistical facts, jammer. So yes, I *do* find it possible that oldies like us might be over-idealizing 1977 ("A place where NO ONE had financial insecurity or envy"), just as I find it simultaneously possible that zoomers on TikTok might lack a full grasp on the state of this nation in the decades preceding their births.

None of the above is to say that America has no problems today. It does! Nor is it to say that no folks are suffering today. They are! You *should* demand better! I should too! We all should!

We just shouldn't delude ourselves regarding how things used to be.

(P.S.: I should note that the median hourly wage in 1979 was $4.44. So if you were earning $7/hr. within one year of your 1977 hiring at that mill: congratulations! You were getting paid 1.6x the median U.S. wage! That might might help explain why you look back on that time so fondly, jammer. By definition, you were one of the lucky ones, earning significantly more than most American workers did.)

Howee

PostPosted: 01/17/24 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
One might consider 2022 to be *his* election, in that *his* party's nominees did far better than TurdMan's, i.e., Biden's brand/message had more success.
I think that's a tough case to make.  Only picking up one senate seat when the Republicans had more seats and more vulnerable seats to defend isn't great and it washed out when Sinema left the party.  Losing nine house seats certainly can't be construed as a win.

I don't see it as a 'tough case to make”....yeah, the GOP took a slim majority in The House, but it wasn't the Red Wave the GOP predicted. MOREOVER....looking beyond Congress....Three states' Governors flipped from Republican to Democrat (AZ, MA, MD), while only one flipped the other way (NV). Several state-level legislative houses also flipped from R to D: Michigan House and Senate, Minnesota's Senate, and Pennsylvania's House.
Anddd – in a delightful slap to the face of Ohioan MAGATs – the people of a Red State upheld the Democratic principle of maintaining abortion rights. Dems did more *winning* overall than the GOP.
tfan wrote:
But Biden led the Democrats into the Iraq war lies and became Genocide Joe (to non NPCs) while rushing tens of billions of dollars of bombs and other weapons

Biden voted for the war's approval, but...."led the Democrats"?? That entire shit-show was led by the GOP.
tfan wrote:
Howee wrote:
I've always seen the MAGA mantra as absurd: when the ratio of (real) American shittiness to Modern American Standard of Living is calculated, the United States of America have never been greater than they are now.

What you want to calculate is the ability of blue collar workers to get jobs that pay a decent salary that will allow them to live fairly comfortably as was the case for them in previous decades.....blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.... so if we are greater than ever, why do stores have to lock up general consumer staples that they didn't  have to do for the history of self-service stores in my lifetime? 

You are citing talking points that aren't FALSE, but again....they're only a fraction of the entire picture. Shoplifting and Labor Market inequities have been in existence far longer than we have. Name a decade when things were so MUCH GREATER? If one considers the overall advances in technology, average standard of living, our standing in the global geopolitical community, etc., etc., ….I can't think of a time I'd wanna go back to.

jammerbirdi wrote:
.... would compare the shithole I consider this country to be NOW to the country it once was. 

Again....when was your life/your country “better/greater” than it is?

jammerbirdi wrote:
And, being the aspirational type, I would also compare it to my own hopes and expectations for what this country SHOULD be.

Gotta agree with the principle, but....you 'n I are too old to ever see REAL changes come to pass, and I certainly don't wanna see the changes the MAGATs want their leader to make.

I'd be the last person to proclaim the USA is perfect, with no need for reform. We have ALWAYS been flawed, but we have also ALWAYS been trying to achieve strides forward, too. There's a reason so many immigrants want to live here.

PostPosted: 01/17/24 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is why I resisted providing you, pat, with a place or a time when things were better than they are now. Because I knew you would pull up statistics to counter my claim that the country is a shithole. A shit hole compared to what, jammer? A shithole compared to where and when? OH, a shithole compared to what YOU think it should be, jammer?

YES on that last point. It's KEY to understanding my use of the word shithole and why I think it's a critically important factor at play in our politics at every level right now.

It's a shithole because I call it a shithole and that's my subjective assessment of the state of the country. You can lap up your statistics and satisfy yourself that the country is NOT a shithole according to someone else's viewpoint using that word but it doesn't erase or affect my perspective and my judgment.

And those statistics invalidate NOTHING that I've said. Here are some factors that I'm not going to bother to qualify by pulling up statistics.

The destruction of the manufacturing blue collar unionized working class base in this country which has been replaced by low wage service jobs and now a gig employment sector neither providing health insurance or other benefits once enjoyed by a vast sector of the American workforce.

The destruction of countless towns and small cities with thriving and safe downtowns full of locally owned businesses run by so called pillars of those communities that provided Americans with COMMUNITY. I come from one of those places. It is a SHITHOLE now. As is the once quaint and thriving town across the river and countless others in the states of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri and on and on. Most of downtown Aliquippa has now been bulldozed. The once thriving community it once was is now ancient American history like so many other towns and small cities in this country.

You can't come from a place like that and not recognize how widespread this collapse of American small towns and communities is and is the destruction of an all important sector of the American economy and the trajectory of the destruction of this equally all important societal base has been repeated tens of thousands of times across the country. WE SEE it maybe a lot clearer than others because we recognize that something that was once there is gone.

The fallout of that has been devastating to the health of the American society. You have to have a SENSE and the SENSIBILITY (apparently) to recognize these things for what they are and what they are doing to the people of this country. The oxycontin scourge that killed and otherwise destroyed so many lives. Now the fentanyl crisis that is doing the same. The spread of homeless drug addicted and otherwise mentally ill from California, where it is now impacting everyone who lives here, to almost EVERY major city in the country where it is likewise impacting the lives of everyone who lives in those cities.

Let's stop there. What all of those homeless encampments LOOKS like to those of us who aren't homeless and who are otherwise productive or employed. And our children. How that impacts people's perspectives on the horizons of their own lives. How they feel about the society they live in. How we all have to tune out the societal destruction that nevertheless is eating away at most everyone living in these cities on some level.

Yeah some of this shit is statistically quantifiable and some of it is a HUMAN SPEAKING about what is WRONG about the country he is living in. Statistics cited or not, what I'm saying is VALID. Calling the country a shithole is a VALID statement.

Look at San Francisco. Look at the destruction that occurred there of what was once America's most beautiful city. All the stores on Market Street are CLOSED. Commercial real estate has collapsed entirely downtown. Homelessness which is characterized by drug addicts and encampments is the urban landscape there.

Los Angeles. What aren't you seeing, pal? Do you accept it? Do you understand why it is happening. Why it is allowed to happen? Do you know? Do you care?

You can find much the same in Philadelphia, Chicago, St Louis, Houston, and so many other major cities across the country. We have SUB third world conditions in so many places in America today. Did we NEVER have third world conditions in the country prior to the present? Of course we did. Does that have any bearing on how we should be thinking about the present and what we should be doing about it?

Let's talk about LA. Have you NOT witnessed a disintegration of the societal fabric and the overall quality of life here in the last five to 15 years? Is it not OUTRAGEOUS to you?

What does all this say to YOU about this country? What is says to me is the place has become a shithole. It's VISIBLE and is verifiable by opening our eye and allowing ourselves to witness it. I'm sorry. Comparing my perspective that it is a shithole to anything other than what it is by use of statistics is actually tone deaf and offensive.

What's YOUR case? You say we SHOULD want change. This is an election year and this is an election year thread. I am demanding change. I'm demanding corrective action be taken on behalf of the American people in this thread and during this election year. What are we supposed to be talking about other than the state of the country we're living in and what is supposed to be done about it?

PostPosted: 01/17/24 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We seem to be talking past each other, jammer, and it doesn't appear to be a very worthwhile use of our time. I'll leave you as you were.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/17/24 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know why you're surprised jammer wants someone to Make America Great Again. It's a common feeling amongst Boomers. It is unusual to want to return to the Carter stagflation years.

In any event, the federal minimum wage is hardly relevant these days. Barely 1% of workers are minimum wage and almost all are part timers earning spare change, not people trying to make a living on that pittance. That's very unlike the late 70s, when 15% of workers were making minimum wage and many of them were actually trying live on it.

PostPosted: 01/17/24 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're so funny, pilight.

You know I love you, don't you? From day one. I said, THAT dude... is someone I want to hang out with.

Not saying I shouldn't have my head examined. Cool

PostPosted: 01/18/24 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thus far, I've read enough valid arguments both ways re: What Is/Is Not a Shithole Country. TONS of subjectivity, but whatever....Jammer, it sounds like your life experience has each foot in a vastly different-but-shitty scenario: Rust Belt Aliquippa or LA. I have family in both scenes, but I'VE never lived in either extreme. I currently live in a town of 14K that has terrific schools, excellent health care, low crime, etc. Within short driving distances, there are tony new developments, where Gen-whatevers live in grand homes they can work from, earning 6 figures easily. But I also see/know the dark underbelly of nearby cities. The context of life experience certainly shapes our opinions. But....

jammerbirdi wrote:
This is an election year and this is an election year thread.

Awrighty, then. Now, the entire M.A.G.A. concept is what de-railed this discussion.
ALL the above debating points aside....WHAT precisely is The Way anyone can possibly Make America GREATER Again?? Besides some VERRRY broad promises that aren't readily plausible (fix Immigration, build a wall), WHAT EXACTLY IS TRUMP'S PLAN THAT CAN MESMERIZE THESE PEOPLE INTO VOTING FOR HIM?

PostPosted: 01/18/24 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Thus far, I've read enough valid arguments both ways re: What Is/Is Not a Shithole Country. TONS of subjectivity, but whatever....Jammer, it sounds like your life experience has each foot in a vastly different-but-shitty scenario: Rust Belt Aliquippa or LA. I have family in both scenes, but I'VE never lived in either extreme. I currently live in a town of 14K that has terrific schools, excellent health care, low crime, etc. Within short driving distances, there are tony new developments, where Gen-whatevers live in grand homes they can work from, earning 6 figures easily. But I also see/know the dark underbelly of nearby cities. The context of life experience certainly shapes our opinions. But....

jammerbirdi wrote:
This is an election year and this is an election year thread.

Awrighty, then. Now, the entire M.A.G.A. concept is what de-railed this discussion.
ALL the above debating points aside....WHAT precisely is The Way anyone can possibly Make America GREATER Again?? Besides some VERRRY broad promises that aren't readily plausible (fix Immigration, build a wall), WHAT EXACTLY IS TRUMP'S PLAN THAT CAN MESMERIZE THESE PEOPLE INTO VOTING FOR HIM?

I've forgotten how to split up someone's quotes. Embarassed

Yes, Howee, a major part of my perspective is certainly that I've lived in at least three different economic realities. At least. Wink

The Aliquippa I grew up in was an incredible place. J&L Steel: Aliquippa Works. Largest steel mill in the world for many decades. Nine miles long. At its peak, somewhere between 10 and 20K employees. Birthplace of the United Steelworkers of America. Birthplace of the right of employees IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA to organize themselves and form a union via the Supreme Court's upholding of the Wagner Act. Read one of the most detailed accounts I've found here on the refreshing alternative to Wikipedia called Encyclopedia.com.

Headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Jones and Laughlin had a large plant in nearby Aliquippa that became the object of the NLRB prosecution. Vertically integrated with 19 subsidiaries, it owned and operated ore, coal, and limestone properties; lake and river transportation facilities; and terminal railroads located at its manufacturing plants. The fourth largest steel and pig iron company in the nation, Jones and Laughlin employed 33,000 men mining ore, 44,000 men mining coal, 4,000 men quarrying limestone, 16,000 men manufacturing coke, 343,000 men manufacturing steel, and 83,000 men transporting its product. The company had about 10,000 employees in its Aliquippa plant, which was located in a community of about 30,000 persons.

Local 1211 was the first USW union local in the nation. I was a member of that union. So I come from a labor background.

The town itself was like a wild boom town for decades. Downtown was wonderfully quaint and incredibly rowdy at the same time. But rowdy is an understatement. The place was in the Guiness Book of World Records for having more bars per square mile than anywhere else in the world. Seedy. Gambling, prostitution, just wild. But exciting as hell. THAT Aliquippa is detailed in Sports Illustrated writer's S.L. Price's book Playing Through the Whistle and in this Sports Illustrated piece The Heart of Football Beats in Aliquippa also by S.L.

Aliquippa, about 20 miles northwest of Pittsburgh, was just one of many burgs built to process all that ore and coal wrested out of the hills, one more town full of people from Eastern and Southern Europe who kept the coke ovens fired and the stacks smoking 24 hours a day, 13,000 workers filling three daily shifts on the other side of the Aliquippa Tunnel. Jones & Laughlin Steel designed and built the town just after 1900 and divided it into 12 ethnically specific "plans," separating labor from management, hunkies from cake-eaters. But the soot still fell all over, dirtying your shirt collar even if you never set foot in the mill that stretched for seven miles along the Ohio River.

Then, of course, it all collapsed. By the 80s, you could look around Aliquippa and the excitement was gone. Then it became very apparent to me, in really for me what I consider to be a profound personal realization that was probably made possible by having spent a couple of years in very rich and thriving Boston at music school, that there wasn't any money anywhere in the area. Not just Aliquippa, every community in Beaver County. So that's when I started to think about wrapping up my band and following some friends out to LA. Last gig I ever played as a professional musician was August 25th 1985. Never set foot on a stage again.

So let me just cut to some chases here. What I left behind is friends, family, and people like me. And on a personal level that bothered me, of course, but over the last 20 or so years, that bothering began to become politicized.

So yeah, we struggled for many years to "make it" in LA. My girl is from Aliquippa. Grew up in the projects. Eight kids. Father liked to play the horses. Was, at times, hungry as a child. But the degree to which we've been able to make a life here, coming from where we both come from, is mind blowing.

So the mind blown part of my life is, without a doubt, California. And I've written about it here for years and tried to explain why understanding California in contrast with the rest of the country is so important politically.

Whatever on that for now. My perspective on all this is to the point where you could biopsy or stick one of those soil sample tubes into a countless number of parts of my informed and experienced perspectives on California and come up with completely different and largely unheard and, I believe, unique, insights.

Here's just one. A characteristic that LA used to be famous for back in the 50s and 60s but isn't famous for any more EVEN THOUGH it hasn't ever changed is the sprawl of single-family homes. LA, or large parts of it, believe it or not, was once considered sort of the nation's model of a suburbia.

First, the place is vast. What is really considered "living in LA" is one of the largest contiguous urban developments on earth. I would have to say that the vast majority of that landscape is single family homes. Turn off any major surface boulevard and you're facing long streets and neighborhoods of single-family homes. Once you get past something like mid-city and looking to points west, all of those homes are valued over a million dollars at least and the vast majority of THOSE are closer to 2 million or OVER.

What that means, my friends, is that pretty much all of the people living in all of these houses that lay like a carpet in both the LA Basin and in most of the massive San Fernando Valley, northern communities, and down through the South Bay and into Orange County, etc... they're all, on paper, due just to values of the homes they live in, MILLIONAIRES.

You go into grocery stores, restaurants, walk the streets, go to a mall, theater, concert, the traffic you're stuck in, you are basically in a SOUP of people who are, at least on paper, millionaires.

That's how much money is here. And never forget how BIG the place is.

And this is just one little tube of perspective pulled out of innumerable perspectives I have about California. We've talked here about private schools. We've talked about immigration. We've talked about the entertainment industry. We've talked about the political influence that all of this money wields over every part of our national political processes; the POLICIES that benefit the affluent of California that have been shoved down the throats of the rest of the country. The influence all of this money has over our OWN party, the Democratic Party, what used to be the party of the people. Remember that?

So I live in a 100 year old townhouse in Beverly Hills. It is BEAUTIFUL. Between Wilshire and Charleville. That doesn't mean shit to most of you, I'm sure, but, I'm telling you, it makes me a fucking legend in my own mind. I have everything I've ever wanted and dreamed about. And I MEAN expensive shit. I drive the car I used to say I'd buy if I hit the lotto. I get a new one every three years. And I think we're to the point that we can sustain ourselves here forever and cannot imagine either one of us ever having to worry about money again.

But here's the thing. As good as all of that is? We will NEVER. EVER. Own a house in LA. Because THAT is how rich these motherfuckers are.

So yeah, my life and perspectives straddle these disparities. I don't like to see these people out here disparaging those who I now see as clearly less fortunate people in the rest of the country. TO SEE all of this affluence and then look at the rest of the country and the see how the disappearance of the industrialized manufacturing base and the loss of the relative prosperity of the FORMER working class has destroyed the heart and soul of this country is something I am having a very hard time with.

So about this idea of making America great again. You can NOT let the fact that this reviled political character has co-opted this phrase stop YOU from not wanting to make America a better place than it is now. Or stop you from admitting that it is in a deep state of economic decline in many places and for so many of your fellow Americans. YOU have to understand that IF YOU DO THAT, YOU yourselves are participating in the political theatrics that are dividing and destroying this country. Because your loyalty is to the Democratic side, and you have this Orange Satan threatening all that is good in the world, BECAUSE you are consuming corporate advertising-controlled media and lapping up the propaganda of the mainstream establishment that has taken over both political parties, you are now spitting it out yourselves every chance you get.

And THEN, here mostly people who think of themselves as progressives, start pushing back on the idea that things are really that bad. People have never had it better, etc. Don't you see how you've changed sides? Now you're denying reality, glossing over and even mocking the struggles of the working poor.

And that's when you're not denying entirely the existence EVER of a prosperous and secure working class in America.

Dudes I grew up thinking we were RICH. My father worked in the mill for 40 years. I got a Gibson Les Paul Custom in 1969 when I was 12 years old. That guitar cost $800. How much is THAT in today's money? My sister dressed like something out of a fashion magazine and ended up modeling on Saturday mornings for Kaufman's department store in Pittsburgh. Oh we thought we were the shit!

So the FALLOUT of the loss of that industrial blue collar unionized base in this country... I'm just talking now about the FALLOUT... the anti-matter black hole that ultimately sucked into non-existence the communities, the literal sense of COMMUNITY, the sense of wellbeing, the sense of security, the sense of ECONOMIC security, with all of the social and psychological implications that are the inevitable result, the loss of all of that is now immeasurable in this country.

My growing up with this ILLUSION that I was rich is a huge part of the source material of WHY I ended up in California. My old man going into that mill for 40 years (three shifts, always. Daylight, 4-to-12, midnight) and the fact that my mother took that money and spoiled her kids with it is why I could not downgrade my vision for what my life could be and settle for living in a place where there was no money.

But enough about me. Shocked

Howee, I was wondering when or if you might get around to mentioning the cities and small towns in Pennsylvania. I myself really knew NOTHING about how bad all of these places have gotten. But I should have known. Because of course it's the same story in state after state in this country.

Meanwhile, back in sunny California, here's the only joke I've ever written in my life. Unfortunately, it's not funny.

What do they call a Mercedes Benz in Beverly Hills?

A car.

Think about it.

PostPosted: 01/19/24 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
WHAT precisely is The Way anyone can possibly Make America GREATER Again?? Besides some VERRRY broad promises that aren't readily plausible (fix Immigration, build a wall), WHAT EXACTLY IS TRUMP'S PLAN THAT CAN MESMERIZE THESE PEOPLE INTO VOTING FOR HIM?

I'm going to pass on the first question until later, maybe MUCH later, into this thread. And the part in parenthesis.

What is Trump's plan that mesmerizes whoever might vote for him?

You mean like specific policy goals? Laughing

So, first, he's absolutely not laying out specific well thought out policy for them and I'm sure that's a big part of his appeal because, let's face it, his base isn't made up of policy wonks. HOWEVER. Okay, I'll get to the however part in a minute.

He tells them what they want to hear. And don't smugly laugh at them for being suckers falling for the lies of a politician. They're not the suckers.

Dave Chappelle put it well in his SNL monologue. If you haven't seen it, you should find it, listen to his bit on Trump. The Honest Liar. It's about halfway through the clip.

I already said this in the thread about Trump's appeal. And appeal doesn't even begin to cover it.

If you have someone articulating people's grievances, telling them what they want to hear, that someone has a very good chance of getting those votes.

HOWEVER.

If in incredibly divisive times like these you have someone doing these things while their opponent, and the voters' only other option, is telling them all the shit they DON'T WANT TO HEAR then that can become 75 million slam dunks for someone like Donald Trump.

And that's just that one part of his appeal. A very vast swath of the American people want very much to break the stranglehold that our two party system has on what is supposed to be their government and subsequently their lives. Many of them, not disparaging anyone, but especially many of the Trump voters, might not put it exactly like I just did. But they're incredibly unsatisfied with where the country is now and the path the country is on.

Trump is seen as an outsider. I don't know who said what I'm about to say. OH... I'll find it. It was an Irish journalist. He said (among a lot of things) that Trump's election was this moment where the people in effect took the steering wheel away from the powers that be. In an effort to try to regain control of the direction they were being driven. Etc. And, of course, that's why Trump 2.0 must be stopped.

Let me find the clip.

Look. I don't know in total who I'm talking to here on Rebkells. I don't know what people's level of interest is and how much political media they consume and from what sources.

So there is this thing that is loosely referred to as the independent left media. Matt Taibbi. Michael Schellenberger. Briahna Joy Grey who was Bernie Sanders press secretary I believe. Sabby Sabs. Jimmy Dore. Krystal Ball. And many many more. Glenn Greenwald. Russell Brand is absolutely brilliant. All of these people, every one of them, all coming from the left, reject the mainstream perspective on Trump, January 6th, probably everything that you might hear on mainstream networks like MSNBC and CNN.

And, of course, none of them are Republicans or on Trump's side nor would any of them ever I can't imagine VOTE for Donald Trump. They are what I and they consider to be the TRUE left. They're on the side of the people. Not this globalist, elitist Democratic Party monster that used to be known as the people's party.

Howee, I know you like Chris Hedges, he is certainly in this group and I'll quote him in a second here. But I must say that definitely don't agree with all of them on everything.

So Chris Hedges. .

This is from just a few months ago. He's speaking about liberal comedians such as late night talk show hosts and the comedy central crowd etc. as being lapdogs for establishment power.

He says these comedians...

"Serve as attack dogs for the Democratic Party, which has joined forces with the establishment wing of the old Republican Party against Donald Trump and his supporters.

By belittling Trump and his followers, these comics feed the smug self-righteousness of the ruling establishment and their sense of moral and intellectual superiority.

They are constrained by the corporations and advertisers that employ them. They function as court jesters, never questioning the right of the rulers to rule or the terrible social injustices built into a rigged system.

They perpetuate the FICTION that we live in a democracy. They do not challenge the folly of permanent war.

They do not call out the corporations, who have de-industrialized the nation and abandoned and impoverished American workers."

Like I said. I know you like the Chris Hedges, Howee. Twisted Evil There he is.

PostPosted: 01/21/24 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
They perpetuate the FICTION that we live in a democracy. They do not challenge the folly of permanent war.

They do not call out the corporations, who have de-industrialized the nation and abandoned and impoverished American workers."

Like I said. I know you like the Chris Hedges, Howee. Twisted Evil There he is.

Maybe Maher and Stewart are exceptions?

I don't disagree with any of the above. Chris is most correct. Just as Hannity and Bannon spew their rhetoric for clicks, so do Kimmel and Colbert. And the Reality of it all is something that will always elude us, no matter how informed we try to be, or what our particular sources are.

I (WANT to) believe that there are a handful of politicians who might battle the lop-sidedness of our power balance: Bernie? AOC? Porter? But yeah, I also believe our 2-party system - with all of its binary choices - totally culitivates divisiveness, now more than ever. And that ever-growing wedge is the source of the blunt-force trauma our society is enduring.

PostPosted: 01/21/24 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeSantis drops out and endorses Trump.

If "None of the Above" was on the ballot, it would win in a landslide victory.

There is nobody running, or not running, that I'd feel good about being in the WH.

NObody.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
toad455

PostPosted: 01/22/24 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DeSantis probably disappears once he's no longer governor of Florida. Adios DeSatan!! Of course he's trying to kiss a$$ to Trump to be his VP.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
StevenHW

PostPosted: 01/22/24 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/01/22/michael-ramirez-cartoon-ron-desantis-donald-trump/

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: