RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

HOT SEAT 2023-2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/12/24 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I wonder if Kentucky's first call is up the road to Jeff Walz. Conference realignment could make the SEC look quite a bit better than the ACC.

That would be absolutely bonkers, but I would certainly make the call if I were Kentucky.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/12/24 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39705541/utah-state-fires-women-basketball-coach-kayla-ard

Utah State's coach was apparently on the hot seat. Can't imagine many people lining up to work for their AD after the way this was handled. Kudos to Ard for handling that situation much better than most would.

Utah State fans have been pushing back on this narrative on social media, claiming that Ard had been informed she wasn't coming back months ago (and also claiming that she's abusive to players and assistant coaches). So YMMV.

PostPosted: 03/12/24 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
okstateguy wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39705541/utah-state-fires-women-basketball-coach-kayla-ard

Utah State's coach was apparently on the hot seat. Can't imagine many people lining up to work for their AD after the way this was handled. Kudos to Ard for handling that situation much better than most would.

Utah State fans have been pushing back on this narrative on social media, claiming that Ard had been informed she wasn't coming back months ago (and also claiming that she's abusive to players and assistant coaches). So YMMV.

Oh there were definitely issues going on. You don't have 10 players transfer out with claims of abuse without there being some truth to it. They could have very well told her months ago and the fans could be right. But if they told her months ago and let an emotionally abusive person still coach their athletes, is that really going to make the PR and hiring nightmare they are in any better?

PostPosted: 03/12/24 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

The university still handled it badly. If they reached the decision months ago they should have just fired her then.

PostPosted: 03/12/24 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

The university still handled it badly. If they reached the decision months ago they should have just fired her then.

Yes, the admin handled the situation poorly.

The woman was 24-90 over 5 seasons. They wanted a long time imo. But, if ur a bb player was good do you really want to play for Utah State. Hopefully the new coach is a skill builder and teacher

PostPosted: 03/12/24 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Queenie wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Yes, the admin handled the situation poorly.

The woman was 24-90 over 5 seasons. They wanted a long time imo. But, if ur a bb player was good do you really want to play for Utah State. Hopefully the new coach is a skill builder and teacher

PostPosted: 03/12/24 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
PRballer wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
adamspt2 wrote:
SPD wrote:
Raoul just reported - "Kentucky WBB head coach Kyra Elzy has been relieved of her duties; over four seasons, overall record 61–60, SEC 23–40"

https://ukathletics.com/news/2024/03/11/kyra-elzy-kentucky-womens-basketball-head-coach-relieved-of-duties/

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1767214306389533184

I'm shocked, but happy with this decision. I was figuring UK would give her another year. Down the road, Transy D3 women are in their second consecutive final four - were any D3 coaches ever successful as D1 coaches?

I hate that for Kyra. She's a good person and was one of my favorite players when she was at Tennessee. I think she was put in a tough spot when she had tor eplace Matthew Mitchell on relatively short notice. Her style is way different from his.

I agree she was in a tough spot, but their recruiting has been terrible. She hasn't signed a top 100 player in either this year's or last year's class. Not to mention she's had trouble retaining talent.

It will be interesting to see what direction Kentucky goes. They are paying Elzy $2.5 million to leave, so I assume they are going to make a serious push to upgrade.

Is Mitch Barnhart gonna have the cajones (and $$) to go after Kenny Brooks? Is Brooks even interested in a new challenge?

Can definitely see Kentucky going for a big hire with the revamped/updated Memorial set to open next season…

Why would Brooks want to do that? He has built a very good program at VaTech and he is from Virginia and has spent his whole career there. I don't see any reason to think he won't retire from Tech.

My theory is former Louisville assistant and current Mississippi State coach, Sam Purcell will leave MSU and return to the Bluegrass State as head coach of Kentucky. Then Mississippi State will hire Mississippi native and current Jackson State coach, Tomekia Reed. Just a thought

I like this for her. But she should just try for Kentucky or Clemson. Don't wait for Purcell to leave.

She needs a new challenge, because it won't come from the other MEAC schools

PostPosted: 03/12/24 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Sam Purcell hasn't exactly had a wild level of success. Kentucky actually beat them a couple of weeks ago and only lost the other game against them by 3. I don't think he'll be the answer for Mitch Barnhart.

Well, now....I think his Big Win over Kim's Tigers erases all that! Laughing And going 21-11 overall, and 8-8 in conference is NOT too bad for only his second season as a head coach in the SEC. He really hasn't had a chance to prove his competence in a solid way, long-term way, but....*I* think he's got a great upside, and KY could do a lot badder than to hire him. I could easily see Jeff rooting for him to go to KY, rather than take it himself.

PostPosted: 03/12/24 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MATTHEW MITCHELL NAME HAS COME UP AGAIN

adamspt2

PostPosted: 03/14/24 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/14/24 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

basketballologist wrote:
/

And so?

PostPosted: 03/14/24 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamspt2 wrote:
basketballologist wrote:

Please tell me how hiring Matt Mitchell would be even remotely bad for Kentucky? He was well liked and very successful with the Wildcats. If he has his health handled, I don’t see why it would be bad. If he is ready to return, then be happy for the guy.

PostPosted: 03/14/24 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone saying Harper's not doing enough at Tennessee needs to sit down as long as Courtney Banghart is still at North Carolina.

Harper's won 69% of her SEC games and is 5-3 in the NCAA Tournament. Banghart's at 56% in the ACC and 3-3 in the same time frame. Where's everyone calling for her head?

PostPosted: 03/14/24 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We don't know how much, if any, residual Matthew Mitchell has from his brain tumor. That's one thing. We also don't know if he has any desire to return to coaching. I always liked and respected him and thought he was a good coach, but it's up to him whether he wants to get back into it. I'd welcome him back to the SEC.

Pickled Ginger, thanks for saying what you did about Kellie. You are absolutely right.

PostPosted: 03/14/24 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Anyone saying Harper's not doing enough at Tennessee needs to sit down as long as Courtney Banghart is still at North Carolina.

Harper's won 69% of her SEC games and is 5-3 in the NCAA Tournament. Banghart's at 56% in the ACC and 3-3 in the same time frame. Where's everyone calling for her head?

Different school different expectations. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the reality. Some fans already expected Kellie Harper to have led Tennessee to a National Championship by now, and some think if she doesn't get to a Final Four she should be fired, the same can't be said for most schools around the country. Personally I think no one should be calling for any one to be fired and the only person that should be voicing an opinion is the AD and whoever they answer to, but that's not the world we live in. And there is also the reality that your expectations as a fan probably don't align perfectly with the AD's expectations are as the boss.

goforit77

PostPosted: 03/15/24 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Different school different expectations. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the reality. Some fans already expected Kellie Harper to have led Tennessee to a National Championship by now, and some think if she doesn't get to a Final Four she should be fired, the same can't be said for most schools around the country. Personally I think no one should be calling for any one to be fired and the only person that should be voicing an opinion is the AD and whoever they answer to, but that's not the world we live in. And there is also the reality that your expectations as a fan probably don't align perfectly with the AD's expectations are as the boss.

Alot of UNC fans are unhappy with CB..They expected to be elite again by now...The reality is that AD doesn't care THAT much about WBB...She won't be going anywhere for awhile ...Which is fine with the rest of the ACC

~UK~

PostPosted: 03/15/24 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamspt2 wrote:
basketballologist wrote:

Amen Rolling Eyes

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/17/24 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Alot of UNC fans are unhappy with CB..They expected to be elite again by now...The reality is that AD doesn't care THAT much about WBB...She won't be going anywhere for awhile ...Which is fine with the rest of the ACC

Well I'm sure that's true, there is a reason the overall general women's basketball community don't call for a head coaching change at North Carolina the same way they do at Tennessee and expectations have a lot to do with it.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/18/24 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd say Mike Neighbors should have a pretty warm seat right about now.

PostPosted: 03/19/24 5:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The reason a lot of fans at Tennessee are whining is that they have outsized and unrealistic expectations...and I might add, unreasonable. Pat's teams came along when there were fewer really good teams in WBB, and fewer good recruiters, let alone few really good coaches. Now the sport has come of age and there are more and better coaches and more and better teams. Every team has its day and every team rises...and falls. Some rise again (USC, for example) but look how long it takes. I expect UConn to be on a downward slide for awhile after Geno leaves (don't @ me, UConn fans!), just as, in some distant day, I expect South Carolina to slide whenever Dawn leaves, but that will be a very long time. Tennessee will stay near the top but it probably will never be No. 1 again, at least not the dominant No. 1 it once was, just as UConn and Notre Dame probably won't. Times change.

"Every puppy has its day, everybody has to pay, everybody has to meet their Waterloo." (Stonewall Jackson, Waterloo, 1961)

PostPosted: 03/21/24 8:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio says that Kentucky has interviewed Kenny Brooks and that there are 2-3 other candidates in the mix.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/24 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio says that Kentucky has interviewed Kenny Brooks and that there are 2-3 other candidates in the mix.

Can't imagine Kenny leaving VA Tech unless he's into rebuilding and the $$ are significantly better. he's got such a good thing going where he is and he's loved.

PostPosted: 03/21/24 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Can't imagine Kenny leaving VA Tech unless he's into rebuilding and the $$ are significantly better. he's got such a good thing going where he is and he's loved.

Kentucky definitely has more money, and a brand new (refurbished) Memorial Coliseum. Also more conference stability. He could see it as a new challenge with a higher ceiling than what he has in Blacksburg.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/21/24 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Kentucky definitely has more money, and a brand new (refurbished) Memorial Coliseum. Also more conference stability. He could see it as a new challenge with a higher ceiling than what he has in Blacksburg.

Conference stability? Have you taken a good look at the SEC lately?

PostPosted: 03/21/24 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Conference stability? Have you taken a good look at the SEC lately?

Florida State--and now, as of this week, Clemson--are suing to exit the ACC. Oklahoma and Texas are joining the SEC. If you are following the way college sports (led by the football train) is moving, power and money is consolidating in the Big Ten and the SEC. Last year, the SEC paid out $51 million to each member school per year compared with $37 million for each ACC school. I am not saying I like this, but it's simply the truth. Kentucky will have more money for recruiting, NIL, facilities, you name it, than Virginia Tech.

Apologies if you thought I was referring to the competitive balance of the SEC in women's basketball at the moment. I most certainly was not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: