RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

HOT SEAT 2023-2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/23/24 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depending on what is in the article and the validity of its content, what are the chances it's bad enough to put Mulkey on the hot seat? I figure that's a hard place to end up as long as you're winning at LSU, but ya never know.

PostPosted: 03/25/24 9:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
Depending on what is in the article and the validity of its content, what are the chances it's bad enough to put Mulkey on the hot seat? I figure that's a hard place to end up as long as you're winning at LSU, but ya never know.

Little to none. They will say it's fake news and stick their heads in the sand as long as she's winning. And frankly, at this point, if you sign to commit to play for her you know what you're signing up for.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/25/24 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
PRballer wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
adamspt2 wrote:
SPD wrote:
Raoul just reported - "Kentucky WBB head coach Kyra Elzy has been relieved of her duties; over four seasons, overall record 61–60, SEC 23–40"

https://ukathletics.com/news/2024/03/11/kyra-elzy-kentucky-womens-basketball-head-coach-relieved-of-duties/

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1767214306389533184

I'm shocked, but happy with this decision. I was figuring UK would give her another year. Down the road, Transy D3 women are in their second consecutive final four - were any D3 coaches ever successful as D1 coaches?

I hate that for Kyra. She's a good person and was one of my favorite players when she was at Tennessee. I think she was put in a tough spot when she had tor eplace Matthew Mitchell on relatively short notice. Her style is way different from his.

I agree she was in a tough spot, but their recruiting has been terrible. She hasn't signed a top 100 player in either this year's or last year's class. Not to mention she's had trouble retaining talent.

It will be interesting to see what direction Kentucky goes. They are paying Elzy $2.5 million to leave, so I assume they are going to make a serious push to upgrade.

Is Mitch Barnhart gonna have the cajones (and $$) to go after Kenny Brooks? Is Brooks even interested in a new challenge?

Can definitely see Kentucky going for a big hire with the revamped/updated Memorial set to open next season…

Why would Brooks want to do that? He has built a very good program at VaTech and he is from Virginia and has spent his whole career there. I don't see any reason to think he won't retire from Tech.

Should I have made a gentlemen’s bet with you PUMatty? Lots of chatter about him being enticed to Lexington (again $$$ and prestige in SEC are hard to beat)

I also see on another thread you suggest Walz would be interested in this job. Come on now Very Happy

eibln

PostPosted: 03/25/24 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Little to none. They will say it's fake news and stick their heads in the sand as long as she's winning. And frankly, at this point, if you sign to commit to play for her you know what you're signing up for.

“They know what they are signing up for.” What exactly is that supposed to mean? Because what I hear from recruits are they know they are signing up for a top 2 coach (her and Geno), a great developer, who respects and appreciates as well as understands great talent. Most of Her recruits and players over the years show her and the program great respect and love her and her staff. She has also won 4 titles as a head coach. Not to mention the ones she won as a player and an assistant. And she shows her players and staff that she does care.

The hate for Mulkey is sad. You don’t have to like her all the time but how much hate is just sad. She may not be politically correct or believe what you believe. She is an old school, Louisiana girl. The majority of you could not do what she has done in her career. She deserves respect. She honestly reminds me a lot of Pat Summit with her passion and love for the game as well as how she teaches players. She has a 100% graduation rate as well. Not to mention some of the best coaches from the game are great friends with Mulkey, and that include, Geno, Muffet, Pat, Tara, KBA, Barmore, Kay, and many others. And she defends her players. Not to mention the things she has done for women’s and women’s sports. Most of you seem to bash her over Griner or political views.

Clearly the other coaches across the country have respect and are good friends, so maybe fans should be more like them.

Do better guys.

PostPosted: 03/25/24 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just because you win national championships doesn’t automatically afford you respect. Respect is earned not given.

I would venture to say the majority of us on this site agree she is a good X and O coach and recruiter. It’s her personality that is brash, crass, and almost narcissistic and self-centered. I think that’s what most of us have a problem with.

Again, she is a public figure and has to accept what comes with that. To go off the rails on an article that hasn’t even been published yet makes you wonder what she’s so worried about if she’s that great of a coach and person.
Being thin skinned as she is she has to take the “warts” that might come her way from an award winning journalist. This isn’t a one week research project on his part it’s been two years in the making.

Put your big girl $3.1 million pants on, Mulkey! Funny how she loves to suck all the attention out of a gym or press room but when there might be some negative things said about her, she can’t handle it.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 03/25/24 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oops, sorry for the repost…
Just because you win national championships doesn’t automatically afford you respect. Respect is earned not given.

I would venture to say the majority of us on this site agree she is a good X and O coach and recruiter. It’s her personality that is brash, crass, and almost narcissistic and self-centered. I think that’s what most of us have a problem with.

Again, she is a public figure and has to accept what comes with that. To go off the rails on an article that hasn’t even been published yet makes you wonder what she’s so worried about if she’s that great of a coach and person.
Being thin skinned as she is she has to take the “warts” that might come her way from an award winning journalist. This isn’t a one week research project on his part it’s been two years in the making.

Put your big girl $3.1 million pants on, Mulkey! Funny how she loves to suck all the attention out of a gym or press room but when there might be some negative things said about her, she can’t handle it.

eibln

PostPosted: 03/25/24 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:

I do admit that she isn’t the most humble and her personality is more old school. To me, she isn’t anymore self centered than Caitlin Clark or some of the other major names that have come through the sport. I wouldn’t go as far to say narcissistic but almost everyone has some of those tendencies.

I believe there is a big possibility that Mulkey had already gotten a heads up about what the article is about. Just because the journalist is an award winner means nothing. Mulkey may be concerned that the media will spin the story in a negative light or make her or her players look bad in some sort of way, which the media has a tendency to do, especially the Washington Post. The media often manipulates what they write to have the effect they want it to have. If the article says things that don’t show much proof, she might have a very solid defamation lawsuit. Yes her job may come with that territory, but that doesn’t mean she has to be okay with what people say or what the media says. In fact, most coaches have comments for the media about what they write about and say. You see it all over athletics. I am on Mulkey’s side until we read the article and see what it is about. She deserves the benefit of the doubt.

PostPosted: 03/26/24 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So UK has offered Brooks and is waiting on a response...

https://twitter.com/KySportsRadio/status/1772609157662708213

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/26/24 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
PRballer wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
adamspt2 wrote:
SPD wrote:
Raoul just reported - "Kentucky WBB head coach Kyra Elzy has been relieved of her duties; over four seasons, overall record 61–60, SEC 23–40"

https://ukathletics.com/news/2024/03/11/kyra-elzy-kentucky-womens-basketball-head-coach-relieved-of-duties/

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1767214306389533184

I'm shocked, but happy with this decision. I was figuring UK would give her another year. Down the road, Transy D3 women are in their second consecutive final four - were any D3 coaches ever successful as D1 coaches?

I hate that for Kyra. She's a good person and was one of my favorite players when she was at Tennessee. I think she was put in a tough spot when she had tor eplace Matthew Mitchell on relatively short notice. Her style is way different from his.

I agree she was in a tough spot, but their recruiting has been terrible. She hasn't signed a top 100 player in either this year's or last year's class. Not to mention she's had trouble retaining talent.

It will be interesting to see what direction Kentucky goes. They are paying Elzy $2.5 million to leave, so I assume they are going to make a serious push to upgrade.

Is Mitch Barnhart gonna have the cajones (and $$) to go after Kenny Brooks? Is Brooks even interested in a new challenge?

Can definitely see Kentucky going for a big hire with the revamped/updated Memorial set to open next season…

Why would Brooks want to do that? He has built a very good program at VaTech and he is from Virginia and has spent his whole career there. I don't see any reason to think he won't retire from Tech.

Should I have made a gentlemen’s bet with you PUMatty? Lots of chatter about him being enticed to Lexington (again $$$ and prestige in SEC are hard to beat)

I also see on another thread you suggest Walz would be interested in this job. Come on now Very Happy

Good for you. You noticed that sometimes I might be wrong about some things. I had no idea, so thanks for the help Rolling Eyes

Also, I didn't say anything about whether Walz would be interested or not. I said if I was the AD he would be my first call.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/26/24 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

“They know what they are signing up for.” What exactly is that supposed to mean? Because what I hear from recruits are they know they are signing up for a top 2 coach (her and Geno), a great developer, who respects and appreciates as well as understands great talent. Most of Her recruits and players over the years show her and the program great respect and love her and her staff. She has also won 4 titles as a head coach. Not to mention the ones she won as a player and an assistant. And she shows her players and staff that she does care.

The hate for Mulkey is sad. You don’t have to like her all the time but how much hate is just sad. She may not be politically correct or believe what you believe. She is an old school, Louisiana girl. The majority of you could not do what she has done in her career. She deserves respect. She honestly reminds me a lot of Pat Summit with her passion and love for the game as well as how she teaches players. She has a 100% graduation rate as well. Not to mention some of the best coaches from the game are great friends with Mulkey, and that include, Geno, Muffet, Pat, Tara, KBA, Barmore, Kay, and many others. And she defends her players. Not to mention the things she has done for women’s and women’s sports. Most of you seem to bash her over Griner or political views.

Clearly the other coaches across the country have respect and are good friends, so maybe fans should be more like them.

Do better guys.

It is supposed to mean that Mulkey's personality and antics are pretty well known at this point. Of course she is one of the most successful coaches in the history of the game. If anything, I was saying that it would be hard to agree to go play for her and then to complain about the way she coaches you.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/26/24 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

I do admit that she isn’t the most humble and her personality is more old school. To me, she isn’t anymore self centered than Caitlin Clark or some of the other major names that have come through the sport. I wouldn’t go as far to say narcissistic but almost everyone has some of those tendencies.

I believe there is a big possibility that Mulkey had already gotten a heads up about what the article is about. Just because the journalist is an award winner means nothing. Mulkey may be concerned that the media will spin the story in a negative light or make her or her players look bad in some sort of way, which the media has a tendency to do, especially the Washington Post. The media often manipulates what they write to have the effect they want it to have. If the article says things that don’t show much proof, she might have a very solid defamation lawsuit. Yes her job may come with that territory, but that doesn’t mean she has to be okay with what people say or what the media says. In fact, most coaches have comments for the media about what they write about and say. You see it all over athletics. I am on Mulkey’s side until we read the article and see what it is about. She deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Of course she has an idea what the article is about... because the journalist asked her questions. Basic journalism is you give everyone a chance to respond.

She said he gave her 48 hours to respond but then also said he's been trying to ask her questions for two years.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/26/24 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
Matt Jones of Kentucky Sports Radio says that Kentucky has interviewed Kenny Brooks and that there are 2-3 other candidates in the mix.

Can't imagine Kenny leaving VA Tech unless he's into rebuilding and the $$ are significantly better. he's got such a good thing going where he is and he's loved.

Kenny Brooks named Kentucky head coach:
https://hokiesports.com/news/2024/3/26/womens-basketball-brooks-named-womens-basketball-head-coach-at-kentucky.aspx

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/26/24 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I called this as soon as it became open. Huge opportunity for the Kentucky brand to get Kenny Brooks to lead the women’s program. Huge.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/26/24 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I called this as soon as it became open. Huge opportunity for the Kentucky brand to get Kenny Brooks to lead the women’s program. Huge.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 03/26/24 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most superstars are very self-centered. Caitlin Clark’s behavior especially the second half of her senior season has gone back to how she behaved her freshman and sophomore year. As I’ve mentioned in the other places when she makes her sixth, seventh, or possibly eighth turnover of the game you don’t see her teammates rolling their eyes or throwing their hands up and frustration. She emotionally on the court is very immature.

The difference is Clark is not not the head coach of a major university being paid the highest salary of anyone out there for women’s basketball. For Mulkey to go off like she did at the press conference on an article that hasn’t even been released yet just makes her look petty and immature. She looked like DJT in one of his pressers.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/26/24 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

you can be competent and still be an asshole

PostPosted: 03/27/24 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
you can be competent and still be an asshole

For real. And Kim is.

Kenny B, OTOH, is both competent and most definitely NOT an asshole. We know him well at JMU and wish him nothing but the best. His counterpart on the men's side at Kentucky, well, the less said about him, the better.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless Tennessee and the media are all in on a major April Fool's joke, Harper is out at Tennessee. I knew that if she lost before the Sweet 16 this year she would be on the hot seat, but I figured she would get the alumni/Summitt connection leniency given to Warlick and be given a last chance next year.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also thought they would continue to limp along with Harper. I wonder which marginally qualified alum is up next.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming ESPN isn't doing April fools jokes

Breaking: Tennessee has fired women's basketball coach Kellie Harper after five seasons leading the program.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story?id=39853187&_slug_=lady-vols-fire-head-coach-kellie-harper-five-seasons

SPD

PostPosted: 04/01/24 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like it's real

"Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics Danny White announced on Monday a leadership change with Tennessee women's basketball as head coach Kellie Harper will not return as head coach next season.

"After a thorough review of our women's basketball program, I have informed Kellie we are making a change in leadership," said White. "Decisions like these are never easy to make, especially with someone who has done so much for the Lady Vols as a three-time national champion student-athlete. Her love and passion for Tennessee and the Lady Vols is second to none. She has invested so much heart and soul into our program and truly has given her all for Tennessee. I thank Kellie for her stewardship of our women's basketball program and wish her and Jon well in the next chapter of their lives." ....

https://utsports.com/news/2024/4/1/general-tennessee-athletics-announces-change-of-leadership-in-womens-basketball.aspx

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/01/24 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they go after Kara...... (sorry, RaF)

PostPosted: 04/01/24 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I also thought they would continue to limp along with Harper. I wonder which marginally qualified alum is up next.

Looking back, the facial expressions during the SEC and NCAA Tournaments look much different now. I think she knew or had an inkling this was coming this year.

PostPosted: 04/01/24 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, I am very shocked by this. Harper wasn't doing a bad job, but had not yet gotten to that next level yet. I thought she was on her way though. You would figure they have someone in mind already. I mean you don't fire a coach that goes to the NCAA tournament unless you have a plan.

goforit77

PostPosted: 04/01/24 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I hope they go after Kara...... (sorry, RaF)

I honestly dont see Kara leaving Duke. She has the support of the AD, strong core and great class coming in...She's building her own legacy at Duke.

Why take on UT and its unrealistic expectations.

UT needs to find somebody outside the UT family...Get some fresh blood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: