RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will Clark Set NCAAW DI Career Points Record This Season?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Caitlin Clark score 811 or more points this season?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 19 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/05/23 11:20 pm    ::: Will Clark Set NCAAW DI Career Points Record This Season? Reply Reply with quote

I should have made this poll earlier.

Caitlin Clark would need to score 811 points to pass Kelsey Plum having scored 1055 points last season.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/06/23 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I only marginally even care.

PostPosted: 11/06/23 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I only marginally even care.

Good to know.

awhom111

PostPosted: 11/06/23 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those that care slightly more, I will be keeping this article updated all season long with a chart that shows her progress:
https://wbasketballblog.com/2023/11/06/2024-ncaa-career-stats-watch/

It will also cover her assists and Dyaisha Fair's scoring.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/07/23 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seems very likely. She may be expected to score even more in this season's offense without Czinano, Warnock and Martin.
calbearman76

PostPosted: 11/09/23 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barring injury Clark should have no trouble breaking the record. Assuming she plays 35 games she would only have to average 23 points per game. My guess is she will break the record on February 25 at home against Illinois.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/09/23 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Clark was a great baseball player, but a bit of an a-hole......

Howee

PostPosted: 11/10/23 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
For those that care slightly more, I will be keeping this article updated all season long with a chart that shows her progress:

VERY worthwhile endeavor, awhom. Lots of us will be watching hard, for various reasons. She may be the last of the 4-year players to attain that goal. I think a player that breaks any records in their 5th year should have that accomplishment marked with an *.

PostPosted: 01/13/24 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

VERY worthwhile endeavor, awhom. Lots of us will be watching hard, for various reasons. She may be the last of the 4-year players to attain that goal. I think a player that breaks any records in their 5th year should have that accomplishment marked with an *.

Caitlin currently needs 9 pts to tie Griner, 128 to tie #2 Kelsey Mitchell.

~rAf
awhom111

PostPosted: 01/21/24 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dyaisha Fair ties Ashley Joens for the record for players who got to count a full 20-21 season as a fifth year.

It would be exceedingly unlikely for her to challenge Plum, but Griner seems reachable and pushing towards Stiles and Mitchell is at least conceivable.
Queenie

PostPosted: 01/21/24 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If my math is correct, Clark is on pace to pass Plum's mark in the home game against Michigan or the road game at Indiana (like that game needed any *more* juice, lol), and will chase down both Lynette Woodard and Pete Maravich in the Big Ten tournament for the indisputable D-I record.

If she *really* wants a stretch goal, well...

PostPosted: 01/21/24 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Dyaisha Fair ties Ashley Joens for the record for players who got to count a full 20-21 season as a fifth year.

It would be exceedingly unlikely for her to challenge Plum, but Griner seems reachable and pushing towards Stiles and Mitchell is at least conceivable.

I'm not getting that first part....??

PostPosted: 01/22/24 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

In terms of games played, Fair and Joens both got most of a season (although 24 games for Fair is a stretch for "full season").

PostPosted: 01/22/24 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta make sure that fans are kept off the floors.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
awhom111

PostPosted: 01/22/24 11:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

I probably worded that unnecessarily confusingly because short-handing it just as the COVID year or the 5th year is not my favorite. Basically, plenty of people want to keep people with careers that would not have been possible pre-COVID on their own record list. Fair and Joens are now tied on that list for points.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/27/24 4:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caitlin (as of 1/27 post game) 3389
Jackie Stiles: 3393
Kelsey Mitchell: 3402
Kelsey Plum: 3527

Lynette Woodard: 3649

Pete Maravich: 3667

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 01/27/24 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maravich only had three seasons and no three point line. Clark has already played nearly 40 more college games than he did.

PostPosted: 01/27/24 10:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Maravich only had three seasons and no three point line. Clark has already played nearly 40 more college games than he did.

And your point is?

Clark has a much more well rounded game than Maravich but I listed his career point total along with the others.

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 01/28/24 4:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I assume it was his choice how many seasons he played.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 01/28/24 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

No, freshmen weren't allowed to play varsity in those days

PostPosted: 01/28/24 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

At the risk of certain someones saying this doesn't belong here when there is a men's board for it to be moved to, and then finding someone to actually move it....Evil or Very Mad

He averaged 44.2 ppg for his 3 years. With no 3 pt. shot. No shot clock to speed the game up

If he had been allowed 4 seasons, barring injury or something, he probably would have been closer to 5,000 points. And if there had been the 3 pt shot, he would have been closer to 6,300 points*!!!!!!!!

His freshman year, he scored 741 points. I couldn't find how many games that was.

I found this:
Quote:
Writing for ESPN.com, Bob Carter stated, "Though Maravich played before [...] the 3-point shot was established, he loved gunning from long range."[11] It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range had been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game[12][13] and 12 three-pointers per game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Maravich

My math:

57 (estimated Dale Brown average) x 83 (number of games played in 3 years) = 4.731 points.

4.731/3 (number of years played) = 1,577/year

1,577 x 4 = 6,308 total points.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/28/24 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

At the risk of certain someones saying this doesn't belong here when there is a men's board for it to be moved to, and then finding someone to actually move it....Evil or Very Mad

He averaged 44.2 ppg for his 3 years. With no 3 pt. shot. No shot clock to speed the game up

If he had been allowed 4 seasons, barring injury or something, he probably would have been closer to 5,000 points. And if there had been the 3 pt shot, he would have been closer to 6,300 points*!!!!!!!!

His freshman year, he scored 741 points. I couldn't find how many games that was.

I found this:
Quote:
Writing for ESPN.com, Bob Carter stated, "Though Maravich played before [...] the 3-point shot was established, he loved gunning from long range."[11] It has been reported that former LSU coach Dale Brown charted every shot Maravich scored and concluded that, if his shots from three-point range had been counted as three points, Maravich's average would have totaled 57 points per game[12][13] and 12 three-pointers per game.

My math:

57 (estimated Dale Brown average) x 83 (number of games played in 3 years) = 4.731 points.

I don't think it's quite as easy to simply say he would have scored those points if there had been a 3-point line. The addition of the three-pointer also changed the way players were defended. If you get extra points for being farther back it makes more sense to defend farther back.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/28/24 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
pilight wrote:

I found this:
Quote:

My math:

I don't think it's quite as easy to simply say he would have scored those points if there had been a 3-point line. The addition of the three-pointer also changed the way players were defended. If you get extra points for being farther back it makes more sense to defend farther back.

And with a higher point value, he probably would have shot more of them.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/28/24 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, let's just pretend I never listed Maravich on the list of career scoring records Caitlin can break. Let's get the focus back on Caitlin, where it belongs, please.

On this Weds, 1/31/24, Caitlin will become #2 on the list for women's div.1 NCAA career scoring. In 3-4 more games after that, she'll become #1.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/31/24 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caitlin is now #2 on the NCAA Div.1 career scoring list. Game is still going on, so don't know how much she'll need to break Plum's record after this game.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: