RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tina Charles in China

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wiseone1

PostPosted: 10/20/23 11:38 pm    ::: Tina Charles in China Reply Reply with quote

https://x.com/yifengli/status/1715370815116468691?s=61&t=iqeElCXufbHwCYnnOQZaWA

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/21/23 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As someone who was on the receiving end of the Tina Charles contract divorce, I do find it odd that NO ONE gave her a chance this year. Surely she could’ve been beneficial to a couple teams. I know she’s got a bad rep for jumping ship but surely she’s a decent one year rental during a rebuild?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/21/23 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I didn't know if Tina had retired or what.

PostPosted: 10/21/23 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
As someone who was on the receiving end of the Tina Charles contract divorce, I do find it odd that NO ONE gave her a chance this year. Surely she could’ve been beneficial to a couple teams. I know she’s got a bad rep for jumping ship but surely she’s a decent one year rental during a rebuild?

The Mystics certainly don't want her back! Former post players who want to stay outside and chuck the ball? No thank you.

~rAf
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/21/23 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

The Mystics certainly don't want her back! Former post players who want to stay outside and chuck the ball? No thank you.

You beat dead horses better than anyone I know!

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/21/23 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Perhaps she was contacted by teams and she didn’t feel it was the right fit or she wanted to take time off. I don’t recall hearing she didn’t get any offers.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/21/23 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She demanded a trade from Connecticut. She demanded a trade from New York. She demanded a contract divorce from Phoenix. She flounced out of Seattle with all the grace and dignity of a barfly being bounced.

I realize that as a Liberty fan I am an expert in convincing myself that having things go badly the first four times doesn't mean they'll go wrong the fifth time, but at some point one wonders if Ms. Charles burned both her bridges and her boats.

PostPosted: 10/23/23 6:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
She demanded a trade from Connecticut. She demanded a trade from New York. She demanded a contract divorce from Phoenix. She flounced out of Seattle with all the grace and dignity of a barfly being bounced.

I realize that as a Liberty fan I am an expert in convincing myself that having things go badly the first four times doesn't mean they'll go wrong the fifth time, but at some point one wonders if Ms. Charles burned both her bridges and her boats.

You left out how she trashed the mystics on her way out...i.e. blew up that bridge.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/23/23 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

You left out how she trashed the mystics on her way out...i.e. blew up that bridge.

That was the only team where I wasn't sure if she did the napalm thing. Do you have links?

PostPosted: 11/03/23 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liz Cambage has signed a One million dollar contract to play in China. I guess she won't miss her cheap WNBA contract at all.

PostPosted: 11/03/23 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Liz Cambage has signed a One million dollar contract to play in China. I guess she won't miss her cheap WNBA contract at all.

Streets are saying that her contract is very incentive-laden, and that she won't get the full million unless she wins certain post-season awards and wins the championship.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/06/23 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

That was the only team where I wasn't sure if she did the napalm thing. Do you have links?

Not sure if I could find a link this far out. She said very unkind things about the coaching staff and teammates. Nobody on the Mystics said anything but later he said he wanted post players who mostly stayed in the paint and players who would be positive in the lockerroom. So, not directly throwing shade at TC but it was crystal clear (to all Mystics fans) that it was a response to TC.

~rAf
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 11/07/23 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She definitely made some remarks. After the season, she said something along the lines of "Now I see how they run things here, and I'll have to decide if I want to come back." Like she was some gift from God and the Mystics should fall all over themselves to keep her.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/07/23 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
She definitely made some remarks. After the season, she said something along the lines of "Now I see how they run things here, and I'll have to decide if I want to come back." Like she was some gift from God and the Mystics should fall all over themselves to keep her.

I hope there was more to it than that; that seems pretty mild for the level of enmity that Mystics fans seem to have for Charles.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 11/07/23 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For me it's more the cumulative effect than what she did with one single team. It's a pattern. Her season in Washington was basically a lost year because of the injuries (which the Mystics have said basically every year since 2019) and she put up good numbers. She strikes me as a player who can put up good numbers on a bad team and that's about it.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 11/07/23 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

What's this got to do with the price of Tina in China? Smile

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 11/07/23 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

????

PostPosted: 11/07/23 4:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

What's this got to do with the price of Tina in China? :)

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/1pofg0cTz5mak" width="480" height="250" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

wnbafan

PostPosted: 11/08/23 7:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy I love levity.

PostPosted: 11/08/23 7:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So do I - cracked me up when I saw it! Laughing

Thanks, y'all, for allowing yourselves to get silly around here once in a while! Cool

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/63329/where-did-the-price-of-tea-in-china-come-from#:~:text=The%20phrase%20is%20believed%20to,topic%2C%20but%20yours%20is%20not.

Quote:
Where did "the price of tea in china" come from?
...The phrase is believed to have begun in 19th century England where the actual price of tea in China was of interest. When someone in the British House of Commons said something others felt was irrelevant, it was met with this saying... meaning, the price of tea in China is a relevant topic, but yours is not...

Lots of ramblings and still kinda vague, but I hope the puzzled people get the picture!

PostPosted: 11/08/23 8:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

a) *groaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan*

b) one could argue that the market price for a talented center who nevertheless has a propensity for changing teams due to irreconcilable differences between her and her previously desired destination is, in fact, germane to a conversation about Tina Charles

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: