Liberty
70%
 70%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 20

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/18/23 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"Will the real Slim Shady please stand up!"

Spicy!

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
jmpenn90

PostPosted: 10/18/23 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m really proud of the Aces. I thought they had a decent chance on Friday at home and after the emotions had settled of losing Chelsea and Kia. I didn’t think they had much of a chance tonight especially after the first quarter and all of the turnovers. It’s so hard to lose your point guard and floor leader. A’ja and Jackie really put the team on their backs in the second half. Clark, George, and Colson played some valuable minutes as well. It wasn’t Plum’s best game but we needed every point and contribution we got. They didn’t give up and kept fighting back!

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/18/23 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
At the end of the day/game, You have to put this loss on Stewart.....3 for 17 in a 1 pt game.

MVP. Nothing more needs to be said.

PostPosted: 10/18/23 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DTP wrote:
Players have to play and I'm not giving them an out at all....but man, what a choke job by Sandy. Starting the lineup she did in the 2nd qrt....just felt like no sense of urgency, no real game plan, just completely unprepared. I've had the feeling all season long that I didn't trust her down the stretch againt LV and she was badly outcoached tonight- shoutout to Becky!

Stewie simply had to be better. Same with JJ. Same with SI, although I'll give her a lot of credit for her defensive moments down the stretch tonight.

It won't happen and I'm not even sure who they could go get if it did happen...but I simply don't have faith in Sandy to get the job done with this team. Embarrassing loss.

Sandy was indeed out coached but 2 former MVP’s allowing the likes of Cayla George and Alicia Clark to make them look mediocre I can’t put on the coach . She went with what she had Sandy led them to the finals and she’s a terrible coach or is she terrible coach who bailed on your team? Lol She’s not better than Becky that I will conclude but this is not her loss this is Stewie and JJ’s imo.

PostPosted: 10/19/23 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm so disappointed. The same way we proved in Game 3 we were too good to be swept, I hoped that tonight we would prove we were good enough to beat the depleted Aces at home. But when it came right down to it, the Aces were without Chelsea Gray, but the Liberty were without Breanna Stewart.

I wonder if it will be revealed that Breanna was playing with some kind of injury during the playoffs. That was not the player that won the MVP.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 10/19/23 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I voted A'ja and Becky for MVP and COY every week for the second half of the season, and the playoffs didn't change my mind on either. Comeback and crunchtime winning with no Parker, Gray, Stokes or bench on NYL's court was very impressive.

NYL has very good players but all of them seem too inconsistent and sputtery (if that's a word) to me. So also the team play: too many stretches of un-Borg-like teamlessness (if any of those are words).

Next season should be interesting.
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/19/23 1:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn, I can't believe that Queenie is going to make me go to bed without getting the post-game reax.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 10/19/23 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s a good 12 hours past game time & still not a peep.

Queenie, please let us know you’re okay. Smile

PostPosted: 10/19/23 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/NYCScribbler/status/1715007437965541664

Quote:
If you need to contact me about something other than last night's trash fire, DM or email. Discord notifications are off and I am not looking at social media until college season. (Literally went straight to the compose tweet URL for this.)

PostPosted: 10/19/23 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let the Lib fans have time to grieve. They have been through more than any other fan base. 0-5 in the finals. I can only imagine how that must feel..

Howee

PostPosted: 10/19/23 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Let the Lib fans have time to grieve. They have been through more than any other fan base. 0-5 in the finals. I can only imagine how that must feel..

That IS some grief, actually. I remember when (my then) Buffalo Bills went to FOUR consecutive Grand Finales and never brought home the hardware. And mine was a soft fandom - folks like Queenie who have been there from The
Beginning gotta be devastated. A (tiny?) bit o' consolation: they got to see their final game at home....?

Last edited by Howee on 10/19/23 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/19/23 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone has posted about her but Syd Colson earned her check last night. Very proud of the way she played !!! X Factor for sure last night.

PostPosted: 10/19/23 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

I'm sure she's hugely disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't want to talk about it for a little. I'm sure we will hear exactly what she thought about the game really soon.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 10/19/23 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's with all the hate from people in the league towards Sabrina?

I saw Renee's tweet. I think Skylar tweeted something, etc

tfan

PostPosted: 10/19/23 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

scullyfu wrote:

She's not OK. As pilight posted:

Quote:
Discord notifications are off and I am not looking at social media until college season. (Literally went straight to the compose tweet URL for this.)

Also tweeted:

Quote:
But if I think too much about last night I am going to either not stop crying or not stop screaming.

The loss was a worst case scenario for New York fans. A New York super team forms before the season. They end up with second best record in the league, two games behind the other super team leader. But... the league leading Aces' record was as a result of Candace Parker playing for the first 18 games, and she was lost for the season. And New York beat the Aces 3 of 4 games in August including the Commissioner's Cup game in Las Vegas which is for something like $30,000 per player. And they won by 19 points. Then Las Vegas loses two starters to injury in the finals. And the last game is at home. And it is a one point loss in which New York was up by at least 14 in the third quarter and that could have been won on a closing seconds shot.

Last edited by tfan on 10/19/23 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 10/19/23 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
A New York super team forms before the season.

THAT may have led to unrealistic expectations, and certainly proof that one can't necessarily *buy* success - yeah, NY qualifies as a super team, but....they only had this season to mesh in a super way. LV's pillars (Aja, Chelsea, Jackie) had the chemistry advantage.

PostPosted: 10/19/23 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty and some players fined for refusing media requests.

Quote:
The WNBA on Thursday fined the New York Liberty $25,000 after some of their players declined media interviews following the team's loss to the Las Vegas Aces in the clinching game of the WNBA Finals.

Liberty players Sabrina Ionescu, Jonquel Jones and Betnijah Laney also were fined $2,000 each by the league for turning down media requests for interviews.

League got back $31,000 for their trouble.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/19/23 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Not sure if anyone has posted about her but Syd Colson earned her check last night. Very proud of the way she played !!! X Factor for sure last night.

After last night there's no one I'm happier for than Syd.

PostPosted: 10/19/23 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:
The WNBA on Thursday fined the New York Liberty $25,000 after some of their players declined media interviews following the team's loss to the Las Vegas Aces in the clinching game of the WNBA Finals.

Liberty players Sabrina Ionescu, Jonquel Jones and Betnijah Laney also were fined $2,000 each by the league for turning down media requests for interviews.

Well, there's "Freedom of Speech" and then there's "No Freedom to NOT Speak". Razz

PostPosted: 10/19/23 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

Queenie, please let us know you’re okay. :)

Quote:
Discord notifications are off and I am not looking at social media until college season. (Literally went straight to the compose tweet URL for this.)

Also tweeted:

Quote:
But if I think too much about last night I am going to either not stop crying or not stop screaming.

Well damn, that sucks. I wasn't trying to troll Queenie, I just wanted the takes while they were still piping hot.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 10/20/23 5:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tfan wrote:
tfan wrote:
scullyfu wrote:

Quote:

Also tweeted:

Quote:

The loss was a worst case scenario for New York fans. A New York super team forms before the season. They end up with second best record in the league, two games behind the other super team leader. But... the league leading Aces' record was as a result of Candace Parker playing for the first 18 games, and she was lost for the season. And New York beat the Aces 3 of 4 games in August including the Commissioner's Cup game in Las Vegas which is for something like $30,000 per player. And they won by 19 points. Then Las Vegas loses two starters to injury in the finals. And the last game is at home. And it is a one point loss in which New York was up by at least 14 in the third quarter and that could have been won on a closing seconds shot.

Like Silky, my post wasn’t meant to be insensitive.

Check the time stamp, I posted that before pilight’s message from Queenie, I wouldn’t have seen it. Had I seen it, I wouldn’t have posted.

Somehow you’ve managed to mansplain the New York situation (which I’m fully aware of) & post shame me all at once. A twofer. Must be some sort of precedent,even for you.

Last edited by scullyfu on 10/20/23 6:22 am; edited 1 time in total
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 10/20/23 6:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Quote:

First off, I loved the way the Aces won. As both an athlete and a coach in multiple sports I’ve been in that mode where there’s no reasonable reason for you to win playing a status quo sort of style, and many would prefer you give up instead of junk it up. But competitors want to win.

But with regards to media and that bananas press conference, perhaps Vegas should be fined for making too many people available. Or maybe they cancel it out so that the Liberty don’t need to get hit with a fine. The media was given PLENTY of resource.

Alysha Clark is a gem.

PostPosted: 10/20/23 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colson has always looked good when she was given a chance to play this season.

I hope this ends the talk that the Aces bought their championship ( cheated ). Bringing in high level players has been a tactic in professional sports for some time. All this cheating talk being directed at the Aces while not much was aimed at NY that brought in an equal amount of talent, if not more.

Of course most of that was because of the accusations made by Hamby. Frankly I sort of knew they would move on from her when the team actually played better with Stokes and Hamby out of the line up. Hamby made it about her getting pregnant, but i suspect it was more about her lack of chemistry with the rest of the team.

As the results with NY shows, a loaded team is not guaranteed to to win it all. There are just too many variables that come into place. This is why no team has repeated for so long a time.

PostPosted: 10/20/23 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If we ever need proof that draft luck trumps everything, this series should wipe out any doubt.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/20/23 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
If we ever need proof that draft luck trumps everything, this series should wipe out any doubt.

Which is why they should take the luck out of it and slot the non-playoff teams in reverse order of which team had the #1 pick most recently. For this year that would be...

1 Los Angeles last had the #1 pick in 2012
2 Phoenix last had the #1 pick in 2013
3 Seattle last had the #1 pick in 2016
4 Indiana had the #1 pick last year

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: