Liberty
35%
 35%  [ 11 ]
Aces
64%
 64%  [ 20 ]
Total Votes : 31

Shades

PostPosted: 10/02/23 11:13 pm    ::: Liberty @ Aces - 10/08/23 Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Finals - Game 1
Las Vegas, NV - 3:00 PM ET

TV: ABC

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/eventCalendarId/401578571#bucketId=7947

League Pass:
https://leaguepass.wnba.com/live/248608

Game page:
https://www.wnba.com/game/1042300301/NYL-vs-LVA

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 10/03/23 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 10/03/23 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces and Liberty have never met in the playoffs

Aces and Liberty split their regular season series 2-2. They also met in the Commissioner's Cup final, which the Liberty won.

PostPosted: 10/03/23 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't root for other teams, but I will root AGAINST Las Vegas. I do hope one of the other original fan bases finally gets their championship. NY handle your business!

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/03/23 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I got out of the rooting-for-teams business when the Monarchs folded. I root for players over teams and, in this Finals matchup, more of the players I like (and, more importantly, none of the players I actively dislike) play for the Aces, so I'm rooting for them by default.

Also, because I'm a hateful bastard, I don't want New York to win a championship until the only two franchises that haven't won are the Liberty and the Sun, and then I want the Liberty to beat the Sun in the Finals to get theirs.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 10/04/23 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Bulldozer vs the Bionic Elbow... MMA

Bionic damn near took out the entire first team of Sun and knocked the Bulldozer wacky previously. Will be interesting to see how this plays out..

scullyfu

PostPosted: 10/05/23 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
The Bulldozer vs the Bionic Elbow... MMA

Bionic damn near took out the entire first team of Sun and knocked the Bulldozer wacky previously. Will be interesting to see how this plays out..

Help me out, please. I need a decoder ring to figure out your nicknames. Smile thanks.

PostPosted: 10/05/23 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Come on Lib... Salary cap couldn't stop them, neither could ethics and decency.. you're our last hope! 🤣

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/05/23 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't want NY to win by going out a buying at team made up of other team's best players. But I also don't want LV and their their ridiculous draft history to win. I'll mostly root for Queenie's flaming abyss.

But then I will root for NY. The fans deserve it.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 10/05/23 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I don't want NY to win by going out a buying at team made up of other team's best players. But I also don't want LV and their their ridiculous draft history to win. I'll mostly root for Queenie's flaming abyss.

But then I will root for NY. The fans deserve it.

Yes, agreed. Also, they are the only one of three original franchises left without a championship. I want to see them finally get one. If only for their loyal and dedicated fan base. The fans deserve it.

Last edited by Spark4Life on 10/05/23 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 10/05/23 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote=
Yes, agreed. Also, they are the only one of three original franchises left. I want to see them finally get one. If only for their loyal and dedicated fan base. The fans deserve it.[/quote]

Yes we do Very Happy

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 10/05/23 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:
[quote=
Yes, agreed. Also, they are the only one of three original franchises left. I want to see them finally get one. If only for their loyal and dedicated fan base. The fans deserve it.

Yes we do Very Happy[/quote]

Good luck 👍 🙏

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 10/05/23 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
Yes, agreed. Also, they are the only one of three original franchises left without a championship. I want to see them finally get one. If only for their loyal and dedicated fan base. The fans deserve it.

The Aces are not an expansion team.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/05/23 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Their dedication to their roots is, in fact, one of the franchise's redeeming qualities. It's not like Dallas only acknowledging Tulsa after Tiffany Jackson died, or Connecticut's habit of not mentioning Orlando.

PostPosted: 10/05/23 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Well, neither team has a player I hate and I have a special spot for former Dukie Chelsea Gray. But I'm going with the Liberty as the only charter team that hasn't won a ring. Their best days (until now) were early on but were going up against the Comets buzzsaw. So many forgettable years. As for the Starz/Silver Stars/Aces - one of the best starting lineups ever. Certainly on the defensive side with Kiah Stokes beside Aja instead of Candace.

~rAf
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/05/23 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Both teams can lose.

PostPosted: 10/05/23 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

Well, neither team has a player I hate and I have a special spot for former Dukie Chelsea Gray. But I'm going with the Liberty as the only charter team that hasn't won a ring. Their best days (until now) were early on but were going up against the Comets buzzsaw. So many forgettable years. As for the Starz/Silver Stars/Aces - one of the best starting lineups ever. Certainly on the defensive side with Kiah Stokes beside Aja instead of Candace.

The Aces defense was actually better with Parker than with Stokes. Over the first 18 games, the ones Parker played, Aces opponents scored fewer points, shot worse from the floor, shot much worse from three than the last 22 games when Parker was out. Stokes isn't an improvement over Parker on either end of the floor.

PostPosted: 10/05/23 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty in 4...

* The Liberty have faced the two most intense defenses during the playoffs (Wash,Conn)...I'm sure Sloot/SI are happy to see the Vegas backcourt...The same goes for Stewart not having to face the physicality of Thomas.

* Vegas' offense is a step above Wash/Conn....However, having Stokes on the floor will put more pressure on the other 4 players to score... Becky will counter by playing Clark/Young at PF...Stewart will take full advantage of that matchup.

* Stewart, Ionescu, Young, and Gray will have a big offensive series...Jones will have a big defensive/Rebounding series.....I think Aja will get her pt/reb average but will not dominate like she did in the first 2 series.....Plum will be up/down in this series. I think she is playing less than 100%

wnbafan

PostPosted: 10/06/23 5:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
I don't root for other teams, but I will root AGAINST Las Vegas. I do hope one of the other original fan bases finally gets their championship. NY handle your business!

100%

PostPosted: 10/06/23 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Las Vegas Aces have become The Evil Empire

Chip

PostPosted: 10/06/23 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Liberty in 4...

* The Liberty have faced the two most intense defenses during the playoffs (Wash,Conn)...I'm sure Sloot/SI are happy to see the Vegas backcourt...The same goes for Stewart not having to face the physicality of Thomas.

* Vegas' offense is a step above Wash/Conn....However, having Stokes on the floor will put more pressure on the other 4 players to score... Becky will counter by playing Clark/Young at PF...Stewart will take full advantage of that matchup.

* Stewart, Ionescu, Young, and Gray will have a big offensive series...Jones will have a big defensive/Rebounding series.....I think Aja will get her pt/reb average but will not dominate like she did in the first 2 series.....Plum will be up/down in this series. I think she is playing less than 100%

CO-SIGN

NYSports56

PostPosted: 10/06/23 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll do the matchup thing, and give my prediction:

Courtney Vandersloot vs. Chelsea Gray: Vandersloot's great, but we're talking the point gawd here, who actually got a 3rd place MVP vote over A'ja Wilson. I'm concerned Sloot might not be able to guard Chelsea. Advantage Aces.

Sabrina Ionescu vs. Kelsey Plum: Sabrina has the potential to light up the scoreboard, and she probably will in a few games this series. But again, I don't think Sabrina can guard Kelsey. I'm going to call this a push, but one player could dominate and decide the series. Even.

Betnijah Laney vs. Jackie Young: I want to wax poetic about how Laney is the heart and soul of the Liberty. She is, but I won't. Jackie Young is pretty much the same player as Betnijah: a strong tenacious player who does everything well, only a bit better. Advantage Aces.

Brianna Stewart vs. A'ja Wilson: Brianna is the MVP, but I think A'ja is the best player, by the slightest of edges. Is the real Brianna Stewart back after her slow start in the playoffs? Alyssa Thomas frustrated Stewart's offense, and A'ja's defense will demand that Stewart is at the top of her game. Edge Aces.

Jonquel Jones vs. Kiah Stokes: Now, we get to the worst part: the part where I have to say that Jonquel is better than Kiah Stokes, former first round draft pick of the New York Liberty and my favorite player. But that's the reality: JJ might have been the league's best center over the second half of the season. The same way I didn't go on about Laney being the heart and soul of the Liberty, I'm not going to factor in Kiah being the 'glue that holds the team together,' according to Kelsey Plum. Kiah's defense and rebounding fundamentals are as good as anyone's. But she's an offensive zero and she's 6'3" compared to Jonquel's 6'6." For the Liberty to win this series, Jonquel needs to be the absolute monster she has been lately and then some. If the Liberty win, Jonquel will probably be series MVP. That will come at Kiah's expense if it happens. It makes me sad, because I guess I have to root for that? Huge Advantage Liberty.

Kayla Thornton, Marine Johannes & Stefanie Dolson vs. Alysha Clark, Kierstan Bell & Sydney Colson (bench): Neither coach uses their bench that much, and with only two games a week, they're going to be using them even less unless there is foul trouble. Alysha Clark has received more minutes than anyone during the playoffs, and she's probably the best player, but Kayla Thornton is close, Johannes single-handedly won the Commissioner's Cup game between the two teams, and Stefanie Dolson's an excellent backup center. I don't think much of Bell and Colson at all. I think the Liberty are better poised to handle foul trouble than the Aces. Advantage Liberty.

Becky Hammon vs. Sandy Brondello: I think Becky Hammon is a great coach. Her substitutions all make sense. When something's not going right, she makes noticeable adjustments. I know she has the best players, but I always feel like I am watching a great coach when I watch the Aces. On the other side, Sandy Brondello has really earned my respect this year. Like Becky, she got the best chess pieces to play with, but the players needed to get used to playing together. She got everyone on the same page and playing great basketball. Also, the adjustment to go to zone defense in Game 2, and then going back and forth between man and zone in Game 3 seamlessly against the Sun was evidence of excellent coaching by Sandy. That said, I think Becky's the best. Edge Aces.

To me, this adds up to Aces in 5. I don't think the Liberty guards will be able to slow down the Aces guards enough. It should be a great series. Go Liberty!

Howee

PostPosted: 10/07/23 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting analyses above.

My #1 hope is that it's an exciting, riveting series, devoid of ANY injuries or sucky reffing.

After that, it's simple for a NCAA fan like myself: my angel Sabrina deserves a championship, after Covid so wretchedly denied her in 2020. Cool

There are certainly no players to *hate* in either lineup. Moreover, I'd love to see some extraordinary performances by some unexpected players....Clark? Johannes?

#NATC

PostPosted: 10/07/23 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is a Candace Parker return off the table? Real updates have been rather non-existent, but I'm wondering if that could be because there's still some slight hope of seeing her this series?

Anyway, glad we're finally ready to start this thing. It has been a long wait.
5 games please, with plenty of drama & a healthy dose of animosity. (and yes, no additional injuries)

PostPosted: 10/08/23 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You're New York. You don't get to be the plucky underdog, ever. Not at any time, in any sport, in any league.

PostPosted: 10/08/23 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Parker needs a new stylist. Out there looking like someone's grandma.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: