RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the Hot Seat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 09/14/23 10:15 am    ::: Coaches on the Hot Seat Reply Reply with quote

Who might make a coaching change this offseason? Let's go team by team...

ATLANTA The Dream showed significant improvement this season. I don't see Tanisha Wright being in danger.

CHICAGO When you have an interim coach the likelihood of a coaching change is always high. Emre Vatansever wasn't terrible, but he also wasn't so good they'll feel obligated to keep him on.

CONNECTICUT Stephanie White has only been here one season and the team did well. Unless she jumps back to the college ranks there's no move here.

DALLAS Latricia Trammell has only been here one season and the team did well. There's no move here either.

INDIANA Christie Sides has only been here one season and the team showed improvement. She's good for now but with another lottery pick they'll be looking for the playoffs next year.

LAS VEGAS Laughing

LOS ANGELES Curt Miller has only been here one season and the team already looks like they're past the Fisher mess. Also Miller has a strong history in the league so he'll get more leeway than a less experienced coach.

MINNESOTA Cheryl Reeve has achieved Popovich status. She's the Lynx coach as long as she wants to be.

NEW YORK Sandy Brondello will be the Liberty coach as long as Breanna Stewart wants her to be.

PHOENIX Finishing with the worst record in the league under an interim coach almost always leads to a change. Nikki Blue should keep her bags packed.

SEATTLE Among the non-interim coaches, I would rate Noelle Quinn as the most likely to be fired. The team was terrible and their best player moved to the other side of the country. Re-signing Loyd is a good sign but this still feels like it will end badly for Q-Ball.

WASHINGTON Eric Thibault has only been here for one season and the team was plagued with injuries. Plus he's a nepo baby, so his place is secure for the time being.

Last edited by pilight on 09/14/23 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/14/23 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now I kinda want to contemplate how bad the Mystics would have to get before Thibault fired his own son?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
tfan

PostPosted: 09/14/23 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Noelle Quinn had coached a championship team but I see she was the associate head coach (a step up from assistant coach) for the Storm with Gary Kloppenburg as the head coach (Wikipedia says Quinn focused on the offense and Kloppenburg the defense).

Shades

PostPosted: 09/14/23 3:26 pm    ::: Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

WASHINGTON Eric Thibault has only been here for one season and the team was plagued with injuries. Plus he's a nepo baby, so his place is secure for the time being.

He’s there as long as Mike Thibault is GM.

I have to admit, that was a beautifully executed play drawn up for the last half second of the regular season.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eOjUadq5IM0?si=rbgvvau8jViYjat6" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
shontay33

PostPosted: 09/15/23 3:05 pm    ::: Re: Coaches on the Hot Seat Reply Reply with quote

[quote="pilight"]Who might make a coaching change this offseason? Let's go team by team...

CHICAGO : Wont hurt to keep him another year. They made the playoffs which most people didn't think they would.

PHOENIX : Second coach in less than a season. GM issue. Not sure who Phoenix can get at this point with them wanting to try and have a veteran team. To me, Phoenix needs to build for the future. DT won't even be able to play a full season. Depending on what they do in the off season, they should keep Blue if they want to continue to develop their young players. If they want to bring in a bunch of Vets, good luck on finding a coach.

SEATTLE : Keep Quinn. They have couple of young players and some veterans. Don't think we will see the last of Seattle. Besides, they will not get a better coach out there.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 09/15/23 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Blue and Vatansever were given 'interim' tags for a reason. I'm not convinced that either franchise sees them as the long-term answer, especially with Blue in Phoenix considering the Merc basically stayed dreadful. At least Chicago sneaked into the playoffs to avoid the embarrassment of handing over their lottery balls to Dallas.

I'm gonna be a little surprised if Quinn gets fired, if only because I think if they were going to do it they'd have done it already. So she probably gets another year, unless Bird tells them she's ready to take over.

PostPosted: 09/15/23 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Quinn will at least start next season as coach. But if I had to pick the non-interim coach most likely to be fired, she would have to be the answer.

PostPosted: 09/15/23 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I believe Quinn will at least start next season as coach. But if I had to pick the non-interim coach most likely to be fired, she would have to be the answer.

Gotham FC is doing its best to keep Bird distracted, so as long as that's a thing she's intrigued by, Noelle Quinn should be safe.

PostPosted: 09/16/23 2:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To be totally fair, this really was Quinn's first season as head coach. You could tell by the body language and how much she deferred to Sue who the real shot caller on those teams were the last few years. Her team (roster) was not successful this season but she was the voice of the team all season and showed a ton of growth as a leader, IMO.

*To be clear, Sue is my 2nd favorite player of all time after Lauren Jackson, would be a brilliant coach, and I would not be sad for Quinn if she did take over.*

PostPosted: 09/17/23 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Sue said she had no interest in coaching.

Was that just BS?

Shades

PostPosted: 09/17/23 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
I thought Sue said she had no interest in coaching.

Was that just BS?

I think it’s Taurasi that’s not interested in coaching. She’s more interested in the business side. WNBA coaching is for poor people. If you’ve built up your assets through the years, you might as go into business as an owner or whatnot.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 09/17/23 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah -- the info I read questioned whether she'd be interested in taking over for Geno after he retired.

Well, scratch Sue Bird's name off the list of candidates. The UConn legend retired from the WNBA last September, but coaching at her alma mater is not in her plans.

"I don't have aspirations," Bird said Thursday night during the Connecticut Forum at the Bushnell. "Who would want the job after him?"

Source: https://www.ctinsider.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/article/sue-bird-wnba-geno-auriemma-18080374.php

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 09/17/23 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bird knows that the chess move is to let one of Auriemma's assistants take over for him when he retires, and then take over when that person gets fired.

You never want to be the coach after the coach. You want to be the coach after the coach after the coach.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/17/23 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
To be totally fair, this really was Quinn's first season as head coach. You could tell by the body language and how much she deferred to Sue who the real shot caller on those teams were the last few years. Her team (roster) was not successful this season but she was the voice of the team all season and showed a ton of growth as a leader, IMO.

*To be clear, Sue is my 2nd favorite player of all time after Lauren Jackson, would be a brilliant coach, and I would not be sad for Quinn if she did take over.*

The track record of great players who go immediately into head coaching positions is pretty dismal. If Sue wants to coach, take an asst coaching position first - but that would cut into the time she has for all her money making ads.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/17/23 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Now I kinda want to contemplate how bad the Mystics would have to get before Thibault fired his own son?

We actually know very little about whether Eric can coach. He needs a season in which the team is not entirely decimated by injury to show what he can do. There is no drama going on between the players and coaches - any player who starts drama won't stay on the team long. The Mystics dodged a bullet when Aerial went to Minnesota.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/18/23 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Bird knows that the chess move is to let one of Auriemma's assistants take over for him when he retires, and then take over when that person gets fired.

You never want to be the coach after the coach. You want to be the coach after the coach after the coach.

This! So true. But then you still better perform and by then generally recruiting has been decimated. It ain't easy either way.

Shades

PostPosted: 09/18/23 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

This! So true. But then you still better perform and by then generally recruiting has been decimated. It ain't easy either way.

Recruits aren’t going to be clamoring to play for Chris Dailey?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/19/23 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

CD is going when Geno goes , everyone knows.

PostPosted: 09/19/23 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:

CD is going when Geno goes , everyone knows.

She’s nothing without him or, as Reeve might say, he’s nothing without her?

jmvcity

PostPosted: 09/20/23 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sky needs a new coach since Emre Vatansever was just relieved of his head coach/GM duties.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/21/23 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Sky needs a new coach since Emre Vatansever was just relieved of his head coach/GM duties.

Poor guy , it was obvious the team was not connected to him as much . I never heard him speak until the postgame of game 2 . He seems like he has the drive but it wont be behind the wheel in chi town.

PostPosted: 09/26/23 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quinn Signs Extension; Chatman Elevated to Associate GM

Quote:
SEATTLE — The Seattle Storm today announced head coach Noelle Quinn has signed a multi-year contract extension and assistant coach Pokey Chatman has been promoted to associate GM. Chatman will remain in her position as assistant coach while adding associate GM responsibilities with Quinn and Chatman continuing to report to General Manager, Talisa Rhea.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: