RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 02/01/24 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phoenix will sign/trade for EDD or Nneka.........The Sparks have cap space and are looking to rebuild....Trade proposal...

Jefferson,Turner,2026 1st rd pk,2024 2nd rd pk for Nneka(s/t) & L.Brown.

Sounds logical to me.....LA gets something for Nneka...Phoenix gets to keep their 2024 1st rd pk...Phoenix signs Chiney.....Of course, Nneka would have to agree to a s/t.....You could start Lexie with Cloud/DT or bring her off the bench.

DT would be surrounded by defense

Phoenix could also sign Diamond DeShields to the vet minimum.

TotalCardinalMove

PostPosted: 02/01/24 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nneka isn’t coming to Phoenix. Chiney told ESPN she has a final 3 of Seattle, New York, and Chicago.

During the WNBA free agency show, it was reported the Mercury have been in discussions with Rebecca Allen and DeWanna Bonner.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/01/24 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

This one is easy to disagree with. I believe Taurasi dislikes DeShields. That’s the gentle way of putting it. If I can find the supporting video, I’ll post it later.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/01/24 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was really hoping we’d get Cloud, and I’m super happy we did. Hoping we can pull off EDD somehow too.

PostPosted: 02/02/24 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

This one is easy to disagree with. I believe Taurasi dislikes DeShields. That’s the gentle way of putting it. If I can find the supporting video, I’ll post it later.

I've never seen any proof of this...In fact, Diamond congratulated DT when she broke the scoring record last season...If there was bad blood I highly doubt Diamond would've acknowledged DT...Phoenix only traded Diamond to create cap space for DT.......However, if you have proof of DT not liking Diamond, I'm all ears/eyes

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/02/24 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I've never seen any proof of this...In fact, Diamond congratulated DT when she broke the scoring record last season...If there was bad blood I highly doubt Diamond would've acknowledged DT...Phoenix only traded Diamond to create cap space for DT.......However, if you have proof of DT not liking Diamond, I'm all ears/eyes

_______X

PostPosted: 02/02/24 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I really wish people on this board would stop with rumors and hearsay. If you don't have concrete proof or know the players you are talking about personally, stop posting lies or rumors!! These ladies deserve better than to be thrown in the gossip mill. I get it we all have our favorites but this has gone too far at times.
It makes no sense to put it out there that DT doesn't like DeSheilds. Is this assumed because they don't hang out together off of the floor? Most of us don't hang out with our co-workers. That doesn't mean that we don't like them. Many of us even have disagreements. That doesn't mean that you cant come together to get the job done. You don't have to be friends, you have to be wiliing to work together as a team.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/03/24 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://x.com/RachGall/status/1753826373565563113?s=20

Sun trade Rebecca Allen to Mercury for Moriah Jefferson.

This is incredibly lopsided in Phoenix’s favor.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/03/24 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Merc dumping Jefferson's salary

PostPosted: 02/03/24 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://x.com/RachGall/status/1753826373565563113?s=20

Sun trade Rebecca Allen to Mercury for Moriah Jefferson.

This is incredibly lopsided in Phoenix’s favor.

Yeah, Jefferson was just bad last year…

PostPosted: 02/03/24 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I’m so sorry if I made this sound personal. It’s probably not personal, but with Taurasi you never know. What I should have wrote was:

I believe Taurasi dislikes playing with DeShields.
or
I believe Taurasi dislikes DeShields as a basketball player.
or
I believe Taurasi sees DeShields as a deterrent to a winning team.

The I believe was always there, which means it’s my opinion. I’m going to have my opinion whether you like it or not.

The Taurasi video I was talking about is older so the timeline doesn’t fit for her to be talking directly about DeShields, but she was talking about a certain type of player. What she said was (going by memory):

“Those players who get moved around a lot, it’s because they’re ____.”

The Mercury traded away DeShields ahead of the 2023. This is not a rumor, you can Google it. In return they got Onyenwere at half the price and throw-away draft picks to make it look even. Onyenwere is guaranteed this year as they signed her 4th year option.

Basically, they valued Sophie Cunningham, who has been more than solid for them, more than DeShields. It was time to pay Cunningham her RFA salary. This is deductive reasoning.

The catch to Zune’s whimsical idea is “well, she could play for vet minimum.” If she’s willing to play for vet minimum, I suppose anything is possible, but it’s looking like with Cloud making $200k and Griner not signed at the time of this writing, that they’ll be headed to an 11 player roster with the SF position already full. Yeah, so Taurasi fingerprints or not, it’s not making much sense for DeShields to be back on this team.

If she was willing to play for vet minimum, why wouldn’t she try for ATL, which is her original home turf, or LAS, who seem to be hurting because they’re making moves like signing Rae Burrell for multiple years?

Oh and finally, where’s all the delicate sensibilities over comments about Diggins or Reese? I could say “Taurasi hates Diggins” with no “I believe” attached and not qualifying it as nothing personal, and nobody would bat an eye or shed a tear.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/03/24 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Christyn Williams signed a Training Camp Contract with the Phoenix Mercury.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/03/24 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

She’s talented, and from all accounts a very sweet person - but not the highest of IQ player.

PostPosted: 02/03/24 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The Taurasi video I was talking about is older so the timeline doesn’t fit for her to be talking directly about DeShields, but she was talking about a certain type of player. What she said was (going by memory):

“Those players who get moved around a lot, it’s because they’re ____.”

That quote could apply to any WNBA player that has played for multiple franchises... Does the same quote apply to R. Allen, Dolson, Nurse, Stevens, Howard, Whitcomb, etc........Assuming DT's quote was about Diamond without having any evidence to stand on is irresponsible.

Also, Chicago offered Diamond a contract to stay with the team but she wanted a bigger role...DD wasn't forced out of Chicago, they wanted to keep her.

Shades wrote:
The Mercury traded away DeShields ahead of the 2023. This is not a rumor, you can Google it. In return they got Onyenwere at half the price and throw-away draft picks to make it look even. Onyenwere is guaranteed this year as they signed her 4th year option.

The Mercury signed Sophie before trading Diamond....DT was not willing the accept less money so Phoenix had to trade Diamond to clear cap space.

Taurasi refused to take less money...Just facts...

https://justwomenssports.com/reads/diana-taurasi-phoenix-mercury-wnba-2023-season/

Quote:
“I’m not one to take less money. I don’t know about you guys,” she said during a press conference Tuesday.

The 18-year WNBA veteran said she plans to resign with the Phoenix Mercury – the team that drafted her first overall in 2004 – but that discussions are ongoing.

“As a franchise, we’re in an interesting position right now with a lot of different things going on from ownership to all the way down,” she said. “So, I just think it’s something that’s taking its time and hopefully it’ll be resolved on my end and sooner than later.”

Phoenix/Taurasi were still in contract negotiations...Cunningham was signed a week/weeks before this article...Diamond was traded after this article...Phoenix had to clear cap space to sign DT.

Shades wrote:
Basically, they valued Sophie Cunningham, who has been more than solid for them, more than DeShields. It was time to pay Cunningham her RFA salary. This is deductive reasoning.

Signing Sophie was a foregone conclusion.....DD has a history of injuries and had not yet recovered from spinal surgery...Diamond will probably never fully recover...but Hopefully, DD can sign with another team and be a contributor off the bench.

Shades wrote:
Oh and finally, where’s all the delicate sensibilities over comments about Diggins or Reese? I could say “Taurasi hates Diggins” with no “I believe” attached and not qualifying it as nothing personal, and nobody would bat an eye or shed a tear.

Come on shades, I know you're smarter than this.... DT/SDS had an in-game confrontation...SDS has also liked shady Tweets about Taurasi.

Last edited by zune69 on 02/04/24 8:12 am; edited 2 times in total
zune69

PostPosted: 02/03/24 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

This is a great move...Low risk, high reward.....I think Wiliams can be instant offense player off the bench if healthy.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 02/03/24 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Shades wrote:

She’s talented, and from all accounts a very sweet person - but not the highest of IQ player.

This is a savage read. Very “bless her heart.”

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/03/24 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very happy to have some Aussie flavour to the Mercury again Smile

PostPosted: 02/04/24 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe the signing of Allen means Cunningham will be included in the potential EDD trade with Washington...The trade will look something like this:

Cunningham/Turner/#3 pk for EDD

Or

Cunningham/#3 pk for EDD

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/05/24 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Shades wrote:

This is a savage read. Very “bless her heart.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/06/24 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing scares the Mercury more than building via the draft

PostPosted: 02/06/24 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kahleah Copper to the Mercury!

Last edited by Coyotes on 02/06/24 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 02/06/24 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Kah to the Merc is insane.

In order for this to work, it has to include Soph or Bri. With all the Irish up in Chicago is sort of makes you think it’s going to be Bri but boy that’s a lot of the same.

Soph or Bri + #3 this year for Kah?

But also what does this mean for EDD? No way they can afford her.

PostPosted: 02/06/24 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sure would be great to see Kahleah Copper and Sophie Cunningham on the same team… Idea

Well, one can only hope Razz Laughing

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 02/06/24 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It feels like BG is about to play for the vet minimum…

PostPosted: 02/06/24 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Khaleah Copper to the Mercury!

Wow

I’m still hoping we pull off EDD somehow too.

I love Sophie though..and she’s engrained herself in Phoenix media. Hoping we can also keep her somehow. Laughing

I know I just sound selfish.

Edit: just wondering, would Diana be able to renegotiate her contract?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: