RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/29/24 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey don't hate the messenger i'm just saying "Don't be surprised" if that order is reality .

PostPosted: 02/29/24 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I won't argue that Cardoso is the next most pro-ready after Clark. But Brink is an All-World rim protector and a much better interior defender than Reese. And even with Reese only taking shots within 5 feet, she's only shooting 50% from 2-point range compared to Brink's 60%. Even with her expanded shot selection Brink shoots 4.4% better overall from the field.

IMO, there's a pretty significant drop-off between Clark, Brink and Cardoso and the next group of Jackson, Edwards, Reese, Kitley, Sheldon and if the hype is real, Lacan. That group I think could go in any order depending on team needs.

PostPosted: 03/01/24 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I won't argue that Cardoso is the next most pro-ready after Clark. But Brink is an All-World rim protector and a much better interior defender than Reese. And even with Reese only taking shots within 5 feet, she's only shooting 50% from 2-point range compared to Brink's 60%. Even with her expanded shot selection Brink shoots 4.4% better overall from the field.

IMO, there's a pretty significant drop-off between Clark, Brink and Cardoso and the next group of Jackson, Edwards, Reese, Kitley, Sheldon and if the hype is real, Lacan. That group I think could go in any order depending on team needs.

Fair , but the best rebounder is still Angel Reese and LA needs that more than anything right now . Ideal Scenario would be Cardoso/Reese but i don't think anyone would be upset with Cardoso/Brink . Better shooting combo but not as many rebounds imoi .

PostPosted: 03/01/24 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

This. Top 3 = Clark, Brink, Cardoso - in that order.

Look at the WNBA career of double double queen Courtney Paris to project Reese's WNBA career. Yes, Reese is a more mobile defender but her rebounding is not enough to overcome mediocre offensive skills, especially going up against players several inches taller in every game. A lot of her shots will get blocked into oblivion.

~rAf
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/01/24 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reese’s points per fga is 19.1 to 12.8 because she hits more free throws 6.5 than any of the other players in the top 7 she hits more free throws than most of them even shoot. Her free throw percentage is around 73% so not a lost cause to develop a midrange or even long range game as her career goes on.

Reese will translate she is a great athlete and has decent handle and tons of it factor. She has looked legit to me since her sophomore year at Maryland. TBH yes I would probably take Brink before her and Cardosa size is hard to ignore but all three will be good to really good at the next level. I would love Reese in NY she would be a great fit as a bench post next to Stewart and Jones and NY has tons of shooting so Reese will fit great. And I know her offense is kind of limited but she scores almost 20 a game on an ncaa championship team this year she adjusted her game to make room for another top scorer. It is all just giving me flashback to McCoughtry, Angel Reese rubs a lot of people the wrong way so they will go to great lengths to under value what she does. Chicago should consider her at 3 if not for her game than for the eyes she will bring, LA at 4 seems like a good landing spot Dallas doesn’t need her at 5 but should consider it also could see someone trying to trade up to get at 5.

On a different note Jackson will be a great pro as well. Probably better at the pro level where she be a second or third option. Edwards will be great as well in short not sure how much distance there is between 2 and 7 Reese IMO is just as likely to develop her offense as Brink is to get stronger or Cardosa get faster so I wouldn’t bet yet on who will be better in a few seasons.

But after saying all that my prediction for LA is Brink/Jackson

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/02/24 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a great point about Reese's FTs. Getting to the line is a skill, and a valuable one.

And it's possible Reese's supposed attitude issues will work for her rather than against her at the next level.

I like her chances better than Rickea Jackson's, and definitely better than Elizabeth Kitley's.

That said, we never know until we know. Nikola Jokic was a second-round pick.

PostPosted: 03/02/24 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
My thoughts on Los Angeles:

Could take Brink @ 2 and it would be a great pick.

However, I need to think about getting the two best players I can get that will solidify my team. Therefore, I might take Cardoso at #2. This provides me with my anchor. Also, it prevents Chicago from taking her ahead of my #4 pick.

Now at #4, depending upon who Chicago takes, I'll have the choice of maybe Brink, Edwards, Reese, Jackson etc. However, I want either Edwards, Brink or Reese to solidify my front court for several years.

Indiana....Clark
Los Angeles....Cardoso
Chicago....? Jackson, Edwards, Brink, Reese
Los Angeles....Edwards, Brink or Reese

I agree with everything except I want LA to stay far away from Reese. Not shot outside the lane, and not very skilled offensively. Most of her points come from putbacks. Great rebounder but I dont think she'll be better than the others at the next level. Just my opinion

If it's true that Chicago is targeting Rickea Jackson as the 3rd pick in the Draft, Los Angeles could end up with Brink and Cardoso anyways but my trust doesn't go that far.

(Debbie Antonelli stated that Jackson is the best player in the Draft/Nation and would be her Number 1 pick in the Draft.

Should Los Angeles not get Cardoso and Brink, don't play Edwards short, she's UConn trained, ready, and able to play. IMO, she's the most well rounded big in the Draft.

boogiezen

PostPosted: 03/06/24 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too bad about Paige. She would have been perfect for the Sparks.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 03/06/24 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Too bad about Paige. She would have been perfect for the Sparks.

Next year. Laughing

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 03/13/24 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://ftw.usatoday.com/lists/cameron-brink-wnba-draft-los-angeles-sparks

💜💛

jap

PostPosted: 03/13/24 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Cameron is drafted by the Sparks she is eventually going to have to muscle up more to handle the rigors of professional.play optimally. That is true for any rookie player, but, as a post banging inside with seasoned veterans, it is more urgent for Cam.

If Cam goes #2 overall, I wonder who the LA coaching & administrative brass have in mind for the #4 puck?

Last edited by jap on 03/13/24 10:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
hangtyme24

PostPosted: 03/13/24 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I want LA to draft Rickea Jackson #2 and pick whoever is left between Brink and Cardoso. I've probably said this before so nobody come for my head lol

PostPosted: 03/13/24 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
I want LA to draft Rickea Jackson #2 and pick whoever is left between Brink and Cardoso. I've probably said this before so nobody come for my head lol

Dawn Staley would agree with you. In fact, I believe Dawn considers Rickea the top collegiate prospect for the WNBA - over Caitlin Clark.

I am a little bit interested in seeing how Angel Reese performs with a healthier team around her going forward into March Madness. She has shown a tendency to really rise to the occasion when it really matters as late. She just needs more healthy weapons around her.

PostPosted: 03/14/24 12:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People really doubting Clark on this forum. Birdy averaged 14.4ppg and 6.0 assist per game during her rookie season. To think she's a first pass point guard. I think Clark will do more. The question is will Indiana give her the greenlight.

Reminded of Luka, experts telling me that he's not athletic and will struggle in the NBA. That's why he was drafted #3 in the draft and traded to Dallas, even though he was the obviously the best player in the draft. Lol.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/14/24 2:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

re: clark, i think of how she may only be better with 'superior' talent around her. her entire time at Iowa she is head and shoulders best player on the team...a post like Boston and wing like smith, kelsey mitchell, etc.

i think clark would be the focus of opponents defense still, but such better options to pass to/play with.

boogiezen

PostPosted: 03/14/24 3:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
re: clark, i think of how she may only be better with 'superior' talent around her. her entire time at Iowa she is head and shoulders best player on the team...a post like Boston and wing like smith, kelsey mitchell, etc.

i think clark would be the focus of opponents defense still, but such better options to pass to/play with.

She was the MVP in the Under 19 US Team in 2021 (correct me if I'm wrong). Playing along side the best talent. I'm sure she will adjust. It's a new environment after all. But for the sake of the WNBA, I hope they will not confine her because that's the most excitement part of her game.

When Paige decided to stay for another year, Clark would have been perfect for LA. It's Los Angeles. More publicity.

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 03/14/24 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
People really doubting Clark on this forum. Birdy averaged 14.4ppg and 6.0 assist per game during her rookie season. To think she's a first pass point guard. I think Clark will do more. The question is will Indiana give her the greenlight.

Reminded of Luka, experts telling me that he's not athletic and will struggle in the NBA. That's why he was drafted #3 in the draft and traded to Dallas, even though he was the obviously the best player in the draft. Lol.

I'm nit doubting Clark at all, but this is a Sparks thread and we have no chance at getting her. Lol

PostPosted: 03/15/24 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any word on what Chiney Ogwumike's plans are for this next season?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/15/24 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

I think Smith and Boston will have a lot to say about who the best player is but they both will become All stars playing with Clark. The player who will most likely get left out in the future is Mitchell. She can score but she's too ball dominant and it won't be in her hands as much going forward. I still believe Clark will win ROY but she's not going to dominate the W like she does in Iowa. Maybe year 3 or 4 but not right away .

PostPosted: 03/15/24 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="WNBA 09"]
snlMINAJ wrote:

I think Smith and Boston will have a lot to say about who the best player is but they both will become All stars playing with Clark. The player who will most likely get left out in the future is Mitchell. She can score but she's too ball dominant and it won't be in her hands as much going forward. I still believe Clark will win ROY but she's not going to dominate the W like she does in Iowa. Maybe year 3 or 4 but not right away .[/quote]

Sheryl Swoopes: "That's all I was trying to say, I'll!!!"

PostPosted: 03/15/24 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="WNBA 09"]
snlMINAJ wrote:

I think Smith and Boston will have a lot to say about who the best player is but they both will become All stars playing with Clark. The player who will most likely get left out in the future is Mitchell. She can score but she's too ball dominant and it won't be in her hands as much going forward. I still believe Clark will win ROY but she's not going to dominate the W like she does in Iowa. Maybe year 3 or 4 but not right away .[/quote]

Sheryl Swoopes: "That's all I was trying to say, y'all!!!"

PostPosted: 03/21/24 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://sparks.wnba.com/news/los-angeles-sparks-name-christine-monjer-as-team-president/?fbclid=PAAaZnvzM2BvRt5c-bgDCfkB2vnqt2cEs-Bwufy6d201HzYHVb-aZSPKGBwxM

New team president.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/22/24 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
https://sparks.wnba.com/news/los-angeles-sparks-name-christine-monjer-as-team-president/?fbclid=PAAaZnvzM2BvRt5c-bgDCfkB2vnqt2cEs-Bwufy6d201HzYHVb-aZSPKGBwxM

New team president.

Who did she replace?

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/23/24 1:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:

New team president.

Who did she replace?

After Vanessa Shay and the Sparks parted ways in May 2023 I think Karen Bryant basically assumed the President role until this hire.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 04/02/24 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brink did not impress during the tournament.

Jackson at #2 and Cardoso at #4?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: