RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Nagging questions about the WNBA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ster II

PostPosted: 06/27/23 12:34 pm    ::: Nagging questions about the WNBA Reply Reply with quote

1) What the heck is a "signed player X to a Rest-of-Season Hardship Contract" ONLY for player X to often be released after 2-3 days, and sometimes not even getting to play in play a single game?? What is that?! Does the player get compensated for the emotional trauma? I believe the "contract" should be honored through the "rest-of-season", but I strongly suspect it's not. 🤬

2) Doesn't it seem that almost every semi-contested 3-pointer, (especially when the shot clock is running down), gets a foul called and a further review for a possible upgrade?!!!
The shooter is at a distinct advantage in these scenarios; taking the shot, she knows often right away if it's going in or not, and, if she feels it's not can help her team by extending her landing with a kicking-out forward lunge that is immediately called a foul by the defender, and if the shooter falls down, well a review most often follows.
Seems to me often the 3-point shot is a bail-out play with often an acting job by the shooter hto illicit free throws and perhaps ball possesion as well.
I don't like it, happens way too often, and since shooters won't stop, (why would they?), I wish defenders would show more discipline and stop the close out fouls.
Acting/flopping in sports should not be encouraged or rewarded. rant off.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/27/23 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I expect the players know when they sign about how long they'll be around for

Most people hate poetry
GEF34

PostPosted: 06/28/23 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ster II wrote:
1) What the heck is a "signed player X to a Rest-of-Season Hardship Contract" ONLY for player X to often be released after 2-3 days, and sometimes not even getting to play in play a single game?? What is that?! Does the player get compensated for the emotional trauma? I believe the "contract" should be honored through the "rest-of-season", but I strongly suspect it's not. 🤬

The hardship contract could technically go the entire season though if a team deals with many injuries and continually falls under the minimum roster spots. And since it’s not dependent on 1 player, you can’t say till x player gets healthy. As Pilight says the players/agents probably have an idea of how long they will be on the team for. Or course there are set backs with recovery and sometimes players recover faster than expected, but unless it’s a known season ending injury to multiple players, no player is signing that contract with the expectation they are with the team the “rest of the season” unless the team has told them these injured players you are replacing have season ending injuries. And even then players can be waived on any contract, so there is no guarantee either way you will be on a team the entire season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: