RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Bayou Barbie Stuffs the SI Swimsuit Issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/10/23 1:11 pm    ::: The Bayou Barbie Stuffs the SI Swimsuit Issue Reply Reply with quote

With a reported $1.4 million in NIL and a new Mercedes, Angel Reese will now be in the next Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. She and LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne, who pulls in the most NIL of any female college athlete, are reported to be the first two college athletes ever to appear in the issue.

Quote:
“I am unapologetically Angel,” the Maryland native said in a video from the shoot.

“I am a queen. I am confident. I am strong. I am who I am.”

She told the magazine that she works out a lot.

“I embrace my body and who I am and every mark on my body. I probably feel the sexiest in a bathing suit,” she said.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/09/angel-reese-wows-in-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-2023/

Here is an SI video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r2AIgqMq580" title="Introducing 2023 SI Swimsuit Model Angel Reese" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is another photo gallery:

https://www.tmz.com/photos/image_jpg_20230508_a7ff2dc21acd4d49a504ef2f9130daec/

LSU seems like a good place to go for NIL, publicity and celebrity.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/10/23 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You seem very enamored of all things LSU, Glenn.

PostPosted: 05/10/23 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The higher they go, the harder they'll fall. Take that to the bank.

~rAf
ucbart

PostPosted: 05/11/23 9:14 am    ::: Re: The Bayou Barbie Stuffs the SI Swimsuit Issue Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
With a reported $1.4 million in NIL and a new Mercedes, Angel Reese will now be in the next Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. She and LSU gymnast Olivia Dunne, who pulls in the most NIL of any female college athlete, are reported to be the first two college athletes ever to appear in the issue.

Quote:
“I am unapologetically Angel,” the Maryland native said in a video from the shoot.

“I am a queen. I am confident. I am strong. I am who I am.”

She told the magazine that she works out a lot.

“I embrace my body and who I am and every mark on my body. I probably feel the sexiest in a bathing suit,” she said.

https://nypost.com/2023/05/09/angel-reese-wows-in-sports-illustrated-swimsuit-2023/

Here is an SI video:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/r2AIgqMq580" title="Introducing 2023 SI Swimsuit Model Angel Reese" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is another photo gallery:

https://www.tmz.com/photos/image_jpg_20230508_a7ff2dc21acd4d49a504ef2f9130daec/

LSU seems like a good place to go for NIL, publicity and celebrity.

The real question I want answered is; will Kurt Streeter write an article about what a woman should do with her body like he did to Olivia Dunn, the LSU gymnast, in November? And, if he does, will, Boring: Plain and Tall, Tara, have anything to say about it?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 05/12/23 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People reveal their hearts by what they say. A positive person will say positive things and a negative person will say negative things. Haters will always hate because that's who they are.
Haters never say anything to encourage or to build someone up. It's just negative, negative, negative.

PostPosted: 05/14/23 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^Truth^^

I hope these kids truly make the very best of their talents and the fortunes they may find in this milieu. It does - for me, at least - raise concerns on how it all impacts The Big Picture. For example, why should Angel even TRY to play in the wnba, when she's already worth more than what she could earn there in 10 years? Will it now be a case of recruiting is dictated by which schools can offer their prospects the best financial deals? That's the end of the Amateur Athlete.
Will NILs trickle down to the High School level?

PostPosted: 05/14/23 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
^^Truth^^

I hope these kids truly make the very best of their talents and the fortunes they may find in this milieu. It does - for me, at least - raise concerns on how it all impacts The Big Picture. For example, why should Angel even TRY to play in the wnba, when she's already worth more than what she could earn there in 10 years? Will it now be a case of recruiting is dictated by which schools can offer their prospects the best financial deals? That's the end of the Amateur Athlete.

Apparently they already are, or have. There was an article in the Knoxville News-Sentinel just the other day, which I unfortunately cannot link because it was "subscribers only" (don't you just hate those?) which said that NILs are basically just reducing high school kids to commodities. That sucks, to put it bluntly. All of these players, even the college ones, are kids. Still. I don't care how much you argue that the college ones are legally adults. Thay can still be pretty easily swayed.

PostPosted: 05/14/23 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
^^Truth^^

Apparently they already are, or have. There was an article in the Knoxville News-Sentinel just the other day, which I unfortunately cannot link because it was "subscribers only" (don't you just hate those?) which said that NILs are basically just reducing high school kids to commodities. That sucks, to put it bluntly. All of these players, even the college ones, are kids. Still. I don't care how much you argue that the college ones are legally adults. Thay can still be pretty easily swayed.

College athletes were commodities long before NILs came along. At least now they're getting paid for it.

PostPosted: 05/14/23 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
^^Truth^^

College athletes were commodities long before NILs came along. At least now they're getting paid for it.

Probably best to say, "SOME college athletes", no? I'd love to see stats on these categories. It might be interesting, too, to learn how (prior to all this) Universities *channeled* monies that were clearly the result of them having star athletes.

Re: the high school kids....just yesterday I was selling tickets for a church fundraiser, and a young dad 'n son come up. The kid (10-11?) was in his soccer uni. Dad mentioned how sonny made him proud by using *his own* money to make a significant purchase recently. "Oh, cool....you have a job?" No, sez Dad....it's all about soccer: when he does well, meets certain goals, scores goals, whatever, he is GIVEN money by mom, dad, gramma, etc.

Well.....why not? "Everybody's Doin' It". Razz

PostPosted: 05/14/23 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'borrowed' this post from the NIL thread. This quote is in response to an article that I posted about a UMich player transferring to Kansas.

Howee wrote:
Well, YA. I mean, his quote:

Quote:
I basically gave that up to try to be selfish and do what's best for me and my career, not what's best for anybody else's career,"

....'splains it all. Razz Capitalism at its finest.

When I read this quote, I wondered exactly what he meant by "career." Is Kansas really the best place for him to become the best player he can be? Or is UMich? Did he sell out his "career" for the money now? If he had stayed at UMich (with less NIL money), become a better player than he might at Kansas, would he make more money then?

When he says "career," does he really mean "my immediate bank account?"

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 05/14/23 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Will it now be a case of recruiting is dictated by which schools can offer their prospects the best financial deals? That's the end of the Amateur Athlete.

I think the answer is already yes.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/15/23 6:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's no inherent value in amateurism. It's a concept invented to justify exploitation.

PostPosted: 05/15/23 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There's no inherent value in amateurism. It's a concept invented to justify exploitation.

"Value" has myriad definitions, even here. But yes, in the context of this discussion AND the fact that we live in an uber-capitalistic society, where $$$ is the ultimate reward - amateurism is obsolete.

I certainly agree that athletes who generate revenue for an institution be allowed to personally benefit from that, too.

But again....how far does that principle trickle down? 8 year-olds in dance class? If little Bitsy's tap dancing earns her some fame on AGT, and her home studio has a flood of new students, does Bitsy deserve some of that new income?? Shocked

PostPosted: 05/15/23 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

that's assuming getting a college education is not worth something. Should schools do away with all scholarships and let the athletes pay their own way? So then the ones with NIL deals could do it....but the other hundreds who don't have NILs and have little chance at doing so would be SOL.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 06/03/23 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m so happy for Angel - everything about her screams superstar.

NIL is going to be the greatest equalizer in women’s sports history. And in WBB, and it appears that wcbb’s biggest stars (Angel, Hailey, Caitlyn, Paige, and Azzi) understand this and are engaged on social media.

One of the biggest problems that Wbb has always had was a reluctance for media to market the sport. Social media has allowed them to market themselves, and once they prove their was a market..the big sponsors have followed.

Imo, we’re going to see an explosion in the sport. Already people considered the women’s March madness as more entertaining than the men’s.

PostPosted: 06/03/23 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, please. And can we please combine these ridiculous Angel Reese threads into ONE thread?

PostPosted: 06/05/23 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Modeling desires, opportunities and glamour can sometimes be giant killers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: