RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Kim Mulkey, the Winningest Woman, by the numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/03/23 9:29 pm    ::: Kim Mulkey, the Winningest Woman, by the numbers Reply Reply with quote

On March 26, on this site, I called Kim Mulkey "the Winningest Woman (HS player + college player + USAB/Olympic player + assistant coach + head coach)" in WBB history. I repeated that moniker on March 31 and twice on April 2.

On April 3, in an article dated April 2, the NCAA actually calculated my claim. Here are the results with some other data included:

High school (4075 points scored; class valedictorian): 136-5
Player at LaTech (summa cum laude; 2 NCs): 130-6
USAB (Olympic and Pan Am team gold medals): 11-0
Asst./Assoc. head coach at LaTech (NC): 430-68
Head coach at Baylor (3 NCs): 632-104
Head coach at LSU (NC): 60-8

Lifetime Total: 1,399-191, for a winning percentage of 87.99%, plus participation in 7 college NCs.

This is supernaturally phenomenal success in any sport.

My only mistake was terminological. Mulkey more accurately should be called the Winningest Person in WBB history. And she's only 60.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/05/23 9:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Kim Mulkey may not be 100% sure how much power you can wield at LSU after winning a national championship.

But she's set on finding out.

Her next quest after leading LSU women's basketball to its first NCAA championship over Iowa earlier this month in just her second season as coach: Have the university either build a new basketball arena or undertake major renovations inside Pete Maravich Assembly Center.

"I like things done yesterday," Mulkey told a jampacked luncheon for the Baton Rouge Rotary Club inside the South Stadium Club at Tigers Stadium on Wednesday. "See that PMAC over there? If they don't get that sucker built before I retire, I'm going to give them holy hell.

Kim Mulkey lobbies for new basketball arena at LSU or major renovations for PMAC
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/06/23 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mulkey has also been winning the recruiting wars.

She won the NC with nine new players on her team in 2022-23. She has has recruited three AP All-Americans/Honorable Mentions through the portal the last 12 months—including 2023's 4th and 5th best scorers, 2nd and 7th best rebounders, and 1st and 3rd best double-doublers. Finally, she is bringing in for next season the top-ranked freshman class via traditional high school recruiting.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 05/06/23 2:37 pm    ::: Re: Kim Mulkey, the Winningest Woman, by the numbers Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
On March 26, on this site, I called Kim Mulkey "the Winningest Woman (HS player + college player + USAB/Olympic player + assistant coach + head coach)" in WBB history. I repeated that moniker on March 31 and twice on April 2.

On April 3, in an article dated April 2, the NCAA actually calculated my claim. Here are the results with some other data included:

High school (4075 points scored; class valedictorian): 136-5
Player at LaTech (summa cum laude; 2 NCs): 130-6
USAB (Olympic and Pan Am team gold medals): 11-0
Asst./Assoc. head coach at LaTech (NC): 430-68
Head coach at Baylor (3 NCs): 632-104
Head coach at LSU (NC): 60-8

Lifetime Total: 1,399-191, for a winning percentage of 87.99%, plus participation in 7 college NCs.

This is supernaturally phenomenal success in any sport.

My only mistake was terminological. Mulkey more accurately should be called the Winningest Person in WBB history. And she's only 60.

I do not like her and I'm pretty confident I never will, and this is incredibly impressive. She has to be among the Winningest People in any sport when you look across levels. Would love for some sports reporter or journalist to do a piece on that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: