Board Junkies Forums

2024 WNBA Mock Drafts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 12/16/23 10:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
https://twitter.com/TBRBWAY/status/1736026256494170128?t=1ZELAzeN5swq7mJVQgulVg&s=19

Nice. Thanks!

PostPosted: 12/17/23 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
If Paige Bueckers drops to #4 it will mean she is still injured...or the #4 team will be ecstatic.

Agree-I realize at this point Paige is a risk because of injury, but if she can stay healthy the rest of her career, she is the best pro prospect in college. I also think people are sleeping on how good she was when she played.

The question isn't her talent. The question is her health. I think where she will be drafted depends on if she can remain healthy an entire season which she hasn't. (No fault of hers. Things just happen) If she remains healthy, she is definitely a top 3 pick in my opinion. This is due to her popularity and talent through out her HS and college career.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/01/24 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fans can attend WNBA Draft 2024 at the Brooklyn Academy of Music on April 15

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/11/24 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After further thought Dallas picking Angel at #5 does not seem as bad .

PostPosted: 03/12/24 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given the number of bigs already on Dallas's roster, I doubt a player like Reese with zero range would be their first choice. Maybe hoping Jackson is still on the board and that she works out as a big 3 rather than small-ish 4 (or plays with Sabally and they just share the spots).

PostPosted: 03/12/24 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wait, Reese declaring?

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
pilight

PostPosted: 03/12/24 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cameron Brink officially declares

https://twitter.com/cameronbrink22/status/1767635460321321249

PostPosted: 03/12/24 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Twisted Evil 💜💛

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/12/24 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
pilight wrote:

Twisted Evil 💜💛

👍🏿

PostPosted: 03/13/24 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do so many mock drafts have Chicago drafting one of the two Australian prospects? I don't understand the fascination with either of them. They are not head and shoulders better than any of the U.S college seniors.

PostPosted: 03/14/24 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Why do so many mock drafts have Chicago drafting one of the two Australian prospects? I don't understand the fascination with either of them. They are not head and shoulders better than any of the U.S college seniors.

same idea as 'grass is greener'. The unknown has more cachet than the known.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 03/14/24 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

While I don't think Chicago has the right kind of roster and it is harder to gauge with Australians it might be the idea of using the 2nd of two first round picks on a draft and stash.

Dallas also has two first round picks and a much stronger roster so I could see Dallas using the #9 pick on a draft and stash, or flip it for a future asset.

Speaking of Dallas and Chicago (while I don't think Chicago is planning on a tank year...yet) I was thinking would Chicago be open to un=doing the Mabery trade.

Mabery to Dallas for pick #5 and maybe McCowan (or Burton/Siegrist but not sure the money works). Dallas has Brown signed up and Soares in training and Mabrey was the perfect back-court match for Ogunbowale (Mabrey/Danerfiled, Ogunbowale, Sabally, Howard, Brown/Soares vs Dangerfield, Ogunbowale, Sabally, Howard, McCowan/Brown. I prefer the first one). And Chicago could go full rebuild with a super strong draft class #3, #5 and #8 and McCowan or Siegrist/Burton as the new building blocks for the future. (I can hear Dallas fans saying its an over pay but Dallas is right on the cusp of contention and over paying for what I think it is much better roster is worth it and they have the depth to make it happen).

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/14/24 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

While I don't think Chicago has the right kind of roster and it is harder to gauge with Australians it might be the idea of using the 2nd of two first round picks on a draft and stash.

Dallas also has two first round picks and a much stronger roster so I could see Dallas using the #9 pick on a draft and stash, or flip it for a future asset.

Speaking of Dallas and Chicago (while I don't think Chicago is planning on a tank year...yet) I was thinking would Chicago be open to un=doing the Mabery trade.

Mabery to Dallas for pick #5 and maybe McCowan (or Burton/Siegrist but not sure the money works). Dallas has Brown signed up and Soares in training and Mabrey was the perfect back-court match for Ogunbowale (Mabrey/Danerfiled, Ogunbowale, Sabally, Howard, Brown/Soares vs Dangerfield, Ogunbowale, Sabally, Howard, McCowan/Brown. I prefer the first one). And Chicago could go full rebuild with a super strong draft class #3, #5 and #8 and McCowan or Siegrist/Burton as the new building blocks for the future. (I can hear Dallas fans saying its an over pay but Dallas is right on the cusp of contention and over paying for what I think it is much better roster is worth it and they have the depth to make it happen).

Thanks , but no thanks.... Laughing

PostPosted: 03/14/24 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting I like Mabrey for Dallas more than McCowan but I was pretty sure the idea would flop

boogiezen

PostPosted: 03/14/24 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jacy Sheldon is going to be a steal.

"Kim Yu-Na. A living, breathing work of art from Korea" - Cam Cole, Vancouver Sun
ClayK

PostPosted: 03/15/24 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Picks 5 and 8 have almost no value in terms of being sure you'll get a good player.

Rebuilding a team starts and ends with pick 3.

PostPosted: 03/15/24 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Picks 5 and 8 have almost no value in terms of being sure you'll get a good player.

It really depends on the draft *and what the teams before you do)

This year I think there are 6 top tier players (assuming everyone comes out) Clark, Brink, Cardoso, Reese, Edwards and Jackson

While there are a lot of players in recent years that have flamed out even in the lottery players like N. Collier, Copper, Ogunbowale, J. Jones, B. Jones, A, Atkins were all drafted 5 to 8 and have been long term starters, all-stars and National team members.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/15/24 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

boogiezen wrote:
Jacy Sheldon is going to be a steal.

Yessssss....Yes she is lol #Mabrey who Razz

PostPosted: 03/15/24 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

That's why most teams picking from 5-8 normally don't need a rebuild unless you have multiple picks Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 03/15/24 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe all six of the named players above mentioned are very good players and WNBA worthy enough to use for rebuilding. All good WNBA players don't come into the league as a Maya Moore, Boston, Wilson, Taurasi, Parker etc.

A great deal depends on the conference, team and coaching of the players, i.e., Reese who Mulkey does not want shooting threes and longer shots. Mulkey said her primary role is rebounding and defense. Reese will develop a shot for the WNBA, give her time. You need to be patient with first year rookies and give them some leeway to improve to the WNBA level.

boogiezen

PostPosted: 03/15/24 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I need LA to draft Reese @4. Give me another Reese vs. Clark in the WNBA. LA vs. Indiana. If you want storyline, drama, there it is.

ClayK

PostPosted: 03/16/24 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rickea Jackson: A lot of people who should know like her a lot better than I do. So OK, she's a future starter and maybe a future third option on a really good team.

Aaliyah Edwards: Is an athletic 6-3 inside player whose numbers are fine. But to be a rebuilding piece, you need to become an above-average starter in the WNBA. She seems to me to be a rotation player on a good team, and a second-division starter. And it's hard to be really good in this league if you don't have at least a solid mid-range jumper.

Angel Reese: Big numbers against a weak schedule, so that's hard to judge. Like Edwards, no game outside the paint up to this point. And like Edwards, seems to me to be a rotation player on a good team and a second-division starter.

To rebuild, you need stars, not role players, and of this trio, it would appear Jackson is the only one with the potential to be a star.

PostPosted: 03/16/24 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Rickea Jackson: A lot of people who should know like her a lot better than I do. So OK, she's a future starter and maybe a future third option on a really good team.

Aaliyah Edwards: Is an athletic 6-3 inside player whose numbers are fine. But to be a rebuilding piece, you need to become an above-average starter in the WNBA. She seems to me to be a rotation player on a good team, and a second-division starter. And it's hard to be really good in this league if you don't have at least a solid mid-range jumper.

Angel Reese: Big numbers against a weak schedule, so that's hard to judge. Like Edwards, no game outside the paint up to this point. And like Edwards, seems to me to be a rotation player on a good team and a second-division starter.

To rebuild, you need stars, not role players, and of this trio, it would appear Jackson is the only one with the potential to be a star.

To rebuild for real success, you need No. 1 picks. Occasionally a No. 2 can do it. But that's it. Everything else is just how you fill in teams and the league around No. 1 picks.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/16/24 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

To rebuild for real success, you need No. 1 picks. Occasionally a No. 2 can do it. But that's it. Everything else is just how you fill in teams and the league around No. 1 picks.

Let's not forget about using free agency to build a successful team. New York would not be near the top of the league without the gems they acquired with free agency. Chicago won their only championship with a major free agency gem, Candace Parker.

PostPosted: 03/16/24 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Let's not forget about using free agency to build a successful team. New York would not be near the top of the league without the gems they acquired with free agency. Chicago won their only championship with a major free agency gem, Candace Parker.

There is also the well known fact that the athletic drafting systems employed by professional sports teams are not perfect. Saying one needs to draft a #1 or a #2 to build a team is simply not univrrsally true. There are drafts where they may be several blue-chip players, just as there are drafts where there may be none whatsoever. Using an example from.NFL football (my favorite sport!), the LA Rams,( my favorite NFL team) drafted a wide receiver named Puka Nacua (Samoan background), as the very last pick in the fifth round of the 2023 NFL draft. This young kid went on to have the greatest season of any NFL rookie wide receiver in NFL history. Being the final pick of the fifth round means that Puka was chosen after 170 draftees who preceded him. In other words, all 32 NFL teams, including the LA Rams who selected Puka greatly underestimated just how great this young kid would become and so soon. Drafting systems are not perfect, and sometimes the best blue chip draftees may be chosen much later than the overall #1 or #2 selections.

As far as team building is concerned, one cannot overlook role players. The vast majority of players in any team sport are role players. You cannot have a team consisting totally of superstars as it is economically unsustainable. Sometimes the critical missing piece in a team is a critical role player, and that role player does not necessarily have to be a superstar - just someone who fulfills their team time very well. For example, a solid point guard who can get entry passes to post players or perimeter players with high accuracy & timing can be the critical difference between a playoff calib contender and a championship team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: