RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Needs it’s own thread - Charlie’s 2023-2024 Way To Early
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/23 8:00 am    ::: Needs it’s own thread - Charlie’s 2023-2024 Way To Early Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/36044329/womens-college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-2023-24

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/03/23 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Meh. Rerun my usual comment. Charlie Creme is an idiot.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Meh. Rerun my usual comment. Charlie Creme is an idiot.

I know people hate this, but every other sport does this...and the more coverage the better. This will change a lot because of the transfer portal, but I don't mind this one bit.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a lot of what he says is pretty accurate. As always it will depend on the portal and injuries.
While I like Utah I don't think they will be the #2 team. They need a BIG in order to compete with teams with bigs. Pili is fabulous but she is under 6'.
Ohio State has the same issue - they need a big.
It's hard to know how Iowa will be without Czinano and Warnock. Clark will need a new batman.
I think Stanford will be fine without Haley Jones - it will be a slightly different style and the offense will be more diverse. It will actually be a good thing for the younger players to not always defer to her.
This ranking will put a bigger chip on SoCaro's shoulder. While different without Boston, they will be better than #9.
I'm thinking Tenn should also be better than this ranking. But then I think that every year.
Maryland, without Miller, will have to show me.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/03/23 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I think a lot of what he says is pretty accurate. As always it will depend on the portal and injuries.
While I like Utah I don't think they will be the #2 team. They need a BIG in order to compete with teams with bigs. Pili is fabulous but she is under 6'.
It's hard to know how Iowa will be without Czinano and Warnock. Clark will need a new batman.
I think Stanford will be fine without Haley Jones - it will be a slightly different style and the offense will be more diverse. It will actually be a good thing for the younger players to not always defer to her.
This ranking will put a bigger chip on SoCaro's shoulder. While different without Boston, they will be better than #9.
I'm thinking Tenn should also be better than this ranking. But then I think that every year.

I agree that they are better than 9 but it's a lot more than just Boston, 4 starters and 6 altogether are gone. Dawn's a great coach and there's still a lot there though but then Creme dropped UConn to about 9th when Bueckers got hurt.

Click click click click click click click click. Rolling Eyes

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/23 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I agree that they are better than 9 but it's a lot more than just Boston, 4 starters and 6 altogether are gone. Dawn's a great coach and there's still a lot there though but then Creme dropped UConn to about 9th when Bueckers got hurt.

oh, I hadn't heard the guards were going. I knew Saxton was but thought between Amihere and Cardoso they would still be ok in the post.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/03/23 6:11 pm    ::: Re: Needs it’s own thread - Charlie’s 2023-2024 Way To E Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/36044329/womens-college-basketball-way-too-early-top-25-2023-24

Duke will be anywhere between top 10 and not even receiving votes in the poll depending on the portal. To say we have some ginormous holes to fill would be a grand understatement. Seriously, we have the wing position WELL covered, but literally no other position. And if we don't find some knock down 3 pt shooters, the Sweet Sixteen will again be our ceiling.

~rAf
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/23 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

oh, I hadn't heard the guards were going. I knew Saxton was but thought between Amihere and Cardoso they would still be ok in the post.

According to this article, Cardoso is likely to return. There are some questions about the rest of the article. https://amp.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article273617310.html

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/23 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:

According to this article, Cardoso is likely to return. There are some questions about the rest of the article. https://amp.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-womens-basketball/article273617310.html

Howee

PostPosted: 04/15/23 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Ummm, Oregon at #18 is....optimistic, if not delusional. Laughing Of course, Creme did all this BEFORE the Gates of Hell....errr....PORTAL started spinning.

I always find it fun to refer back to this kind of prediction in November. Cool

PostPosted: 04/17/23 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford definitely declined after losing three good players to the portal...and I assume we won't get any back.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 04/19/23 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One minor thing in Charlie’s article. He said this is the last year that rosters are affected by Covid-bonus years. By my calculations, there’s one more year. Players that were true freshman in 20-21 will only be Covid juniors this coming year. That means they have one more potential season next year.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/20/23 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
One minor thing in Charlie’s article. He said this is the last year that rosters are affected by Covid-bonus years. By my calculations, there’s one more year. Players that were true freshman in 20-21 will only be Covid juniors this coming year. That means they have one more potential season next year.

That's right. Been a thing long-discussed on the men's side of Purdue world, since it means Zach Edey could potentially play two more years.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/20/23 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creme's ranking of UConn as #1 #1 is not irrational, but it implicitly assumes a lot of medical recoveries and production from completely unproven players.

Unfortunately but realistically, guard-wings Bueckers, Fudd, Ducharme and Griffin all have had multiple serious injuries during their college careers, with all but Bueckers having had serious injuries throughout their HS years also. Expecting all these players to recover or maintain recovery at optimal performance levels is questionably optimistic.

What bigs will UConn have to replace the height, scoring and rebounding of the departed 6-5 starter Dorka Juhasz?

UConn's only 6-5 player is end-of-bench Amari DeBerry, who, disappointingly but to be honest, has spent two years proving that she is not starter material on UConn.

There is one 6-4 player, Jana El Alfy, a red shirt freshman from Egypt. She's completely unproven, and I can't offhand recall a player who spent her entire life in Africa making a splash on an elite WCBB team. One can hope, but that's all at this point.

6-3 Ice Brady is the only other "big" candidate to replace Juhasz at center, but she too has spent an entire year out with a serious knee injury and hasn't played one minute of college basketball to prove anything, one way or the other. Like El Alfy, Brady is another hopester hoopster at center, but she has shown some decent play on at least one USAB team.

6-2 Ayanna Patterson, yet again to be brutally honest, was pretty much a disappointing flop at forward during her freshman year and is blind in one eye. She has not yet shown starter stuff.

The three incoming U.S. freshmen, two guards and a wing, are also by definition completely unproven on the elite college level.

I'd personally rank LSU #1 until someone beats them. While PG Alexis Morris and post LaDazhia Williams are graduating, Kim is bringing in the top-rated guard from HS, Mikayla Williams, and 6-5 center Aalyah Del Rosario, the second ranked post player—to say nothing of what emerges in Baton Rouge through the magic portal.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/20/23 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I'd personally rank LSU #1 until someone beats them. While PG Alexis Morris and post LaDazhia Williams are graduating, Kim is bringing in the top-rated guard from HS, Mikayla Williams, and 6-5 center Aalyah Del Rosario, the second ranked post player—to say nothing of what emerges in Baton Rouge through the magic portal.

I see the rationale, but I am not sure I agree. Is LSU the team that only beat one ranked team through the regular season, or the team that got at the right time?

pilight

PostPosted: 04/20/23 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I see the rationale, but I am not sure I agree. Is LSU the team that only beat one ranked team through the regular season, or the team that got at the right time?

It's not like they were losing to bad teams. Maybe they were that good all year and we couldn't tell because of their schedule.

PostPosted: 04/20/23 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Creme's ranking of UConn as #1 #1 is not irrational, but it implicitly assumes a lot of medical recoveries and production from completely unproven players.

Unfortunately but realistically, guard-wings Bueckers, Fudd, Ducharme and Griffin all have had multiple serious injuries during their college careers, with all but Bueckers having had serious injuries throughout their HS years also. Expecting all these players to recover or maintain recovery at optimal performance levels is questionably optimistic.

What bigs will UConn have to replace the height, scoring and rebounding of the departed 6-5 starter Dorka Juhasz?

UConn's only 6-5 player is end-of-bench Amari DeBerry, who, disappointingly but to be honest, has spent two years proving that she is not starter material on UConn.

There is one 6-4 player, Jana El Alfy, a red shirt freshman from Egypt. She's completely unproven, and I can't offhand recall a player who spent her entire life in Africa making a splash on an elite WCBB team. One can hope, but that's all at this point.

6-3 Ice Brady is the only other "big" candidate to replace Juhasz at center, but she too has spent an entire year out with a serious knee injury and hasn't played one minute of college basketball to prove anything, one way or the other. Like El Alfy, Brady is another hopester hoopster at center, but she has shown some decent play on at least one USAB team.

6-2 Ayanna Patterson, yet again to be brutally honest, was pretty much a disappointing flop at forward during her freshman year and is blind in one eye. She has not yet shown starter stuff.

The three incoming U.S. freshmen, two guards and a wing, are also by definition completely unproven on the elite college level.

You count Mikayla Williams & De Rosario as assets for LSU, reasons to make them No 1, while UConn's freshmen, according to you are "completely unproven on the elite college level"? Come on Glenn, are you running for mayor of Baton Rouge?

You sure you aren't really Charlie Creme? He also likes to have double standards in his evaluations.

Try watching the USA U18 games from last summer and focus on Ice Brady and Del Rosario. They shared the post minutes. The coach played 6'3 Brady a lot more and she contributed more. Del Rosario did have 3 more blocks than Brady though.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/20/23 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Unfortunately but realistically, guard-wings Bueckers, Fudd, Ducharme and Griffin all have had multiple serious injuries during their college careers
, with all but Bueckers having had serious injuries throughout their HS years also.

Fudd Had one ACL in high school and a foot injury at USA trials before her freshman year.

I have no idea about Ducharme's HS injuries but she has has one injury, about 15 months ag, to her head/neck that has been treated and she plays but a diagnosis has never been made. Griffin has had one serious injury that I know of, to her back. She had surgery in Jan 2022 and rehabbed it. She played every game this season I believe.

I know you like to take the glass half empty approach to UConn but you usually do a better job. Hey, maybe there will be another injury riddled season to give you some anti-Geno grist. Wink

linkster

PostPosted: 04/20/23 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's a link to a USABB photo of the 2022 U18 team.

https://www.usab.com/womens/u18/roster.aspx

Brady is No 15 to the left of Del Rosario, No 13.

While it's clear that Del Rosario is 2+" taller, This is far from a Mutt & Jeff situation.

No 11 is Kitts another 6'3 player, like Brady. Rolling Eyes

Howee

PostPosted: 04/20/23 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Ummm.....I *think* this is why it's labeled "The Way Too Early Rankings". It's speculative conjecture. Relax, y'all. Razz

PostPosted: 04/21/23 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

It's not like they were losing to bad teams. Maybe they were that good all year and we couldn't tell because of their schedule.

That's true. It's not that I am sure I disagree either. I just tend to not put too much stock in a team seeming to overperform (or underperform) in the NCAAs. Hard to know if they overperformed or not.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/02/23 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU Replaces UConn as #1 in Way-Too-Early Top 25
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/02/23 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
LSU Replaces UConn as #1 in Way-Too-Early Top 25

Despite the fact that my Duke team (rightfully) dropped off the end of the earth in this ranking, I like the fact that there's ongoing discussion of women's college bball beyond the creation of super teams at the big universities with bundles of cash to offer. While the small schools like Duke need to keep learning how to navigate the new environment, I mostly want them to stick to their strength (elite academics) while the pendulum swings back. There IS going to be some pushback from some of the completely insane NIL deals being signed. And what happens when serious injury occurs? Poof - gone. Suddenly a D+ 'barely a student' and no longer a player is already a has been or could have been.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 05/02/23 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, your and my teams' losses opened the hatch door on their WTETop25 perches, haha. Laughing

Anddd.....$hit still happens. Unforeseen further portal/wormhole adjustments, injuries, circumstances....Call me back here when it's September! Cool Razz

PostPosted: 05/04/23 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
While the small schools like Duke need to keep learning how to navigate the new environment, I mostly want them to stick to their strength (elite academics) while the pendulum swings back.

Duke is a "small school?" In Basketball? I personally wouldn't consider a team that has historically been near the top of a major conference like the ACC in the sport to be a "small school." When I think of a "small school" in a sport, I tend to think more like one of the mid-majors or possibly a perennial cellar dweller of a major conference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: