RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#2 Iowa vs #1 South Carolina - 3/31/23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Iowa
26%
 26%  [ 6 ]
South Carolina
73%
 73%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 23

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/01/23 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why the continued questioning? Does it seem so unlikely?
To me it sure doesn't, just based on what I see on a regular basis on social media.

Her overall message was quite right. These players - hers and every other coach's - are regular human beings with feelings, and it would be great if just a few people could start employing a non-zero level of judgement before opening their mouths / typing on their keyboards.

If I was a coach and my players had become aware of nasty things being said about them that were unwarranted, then I'd be publicly sticking up for them too. Ditto if I was aware of things being said and I wasn't sure if the players were.
If I was a player, I would appreciate that support.
If I was a person out there saying those things, then maybe it's the reality check that I need for my own good.

PostPosted: 04/02/23 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Why the continued questioning? Does it seem so unlikely?
To me it sure doesn't, just based on what I see on a regular basis on social media.

Her overall message was quite right. These players - hers and every other coach's - are regular human beings with feelings, and it would be great if just a few people could start employing a non-zero level of judgement before opening their mouths / typing on their keyboards.

If I was a coach and my players had become aware of nasty things being said about them that were unwarranted, then I'd be publicly sticking up for them too. Ditto if I was aware of things being said and I wasn't sure if the players were.
If I was a player, I would appreciate that support.
If I was a person out there saying those things, then maybe it's the reality check that I need for my own good.

Nicely put. As I stated previously,. Both teams players and coaches conducted the pressers with class.

PostPosted: 04/02/23 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
If Iowa Wins, it’ll Be the first time I’ve personally seen a heliocentric offense win a championship.

I know you saw Diana and the Slugs win a pair for UConn back in the day

PostPosted: 04/02/23 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Staley added: "We're not bar fighters. We're not thugs. We're not monkeys. We're not street fighters. This team exemplifies how you need to approach basketball on the court and off the court. ... You may not like how we play the game, you may not like it -- that's the way we play. That's the way I coach. I'm not changing.“

Monkeys? Thugs? Shame on her. She’s putting words in people’s mouths. Now this narrative is going to take off and her being the poor little victim will be the story again.

No, sadly, apparently she was *not* putting words in people's mouths, there *were* apparently people using that terminology about her team. I don't want to believe it either, but here we are.

It's the age old battle between the people of color who hear these remarks constantly and the clueless white people who pretend that people of color are making them up. Just like the violence against people of color that has been ongoing in this country and was denied by white people until we had videos to prove what's been happening.

Go Dawn! Keep sticking up for your players and keep telling the clueless white people to pay attention. The code words white people use to attack people of color are real and are part of systemic racism in this country. We need people like Dawn to keep calling it out. Just as it's no longer OK to be blatantly racist (thank you to all the work that led to this change), it will take more work to make the coded racism to no longer be accepted. First step is recognizing when it happens (which is still all the damn time).

Note: the blatant racism includes things like white people using the *n* word, remarks about white genetic superiority, a US Senator whistling Dixie when a Black US Senator boards the same elevator. Well, this last one is entree into the use of coded racism when blatant racism is no longer accepted by a majority of this country. And if you don't understand how whistling Dixie is coded racism, then you've never picked cotton under a blazing sun - and it shows. The "land of cotton" is a completely different experience for those who profit from it and those who had to pick the cotton. PS: my mom was a white woman who had to pick cotton growing up in the Oklahoma Dust Bowl and she can attest to how physically grueling and painful the experience was.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 04/02/23 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Staley added: "We're not bar fighters. We're not thugs. We're not monkeys. We're not street fighters. This team exemplifies how you need to approach basketball on the court and off the court. ... You may not like how we play the game, you may not like it -- that's the way we play. That's the way I coach. I'm not changing.“

Monkeys? Thugs? Shame on her. She’s putting words in people’s mouths. Now this narrative is going to take off and her being the poor little victim will be the story again.

No, sadly, apparently she was *not* putting words in people's mouths, there *were* apparently people using that terminology about her team. I don't want to believe it either, but here we are.

Can you please share how you know this?

Friend of a friend on site. I don't have permission to share more.

PostPosted: 04/02/23 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Queenie wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Can you please share how you know this?

Friend of a friend on site. I don't have permission to share more.

Thank you for the answer.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 04/02/23 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
If Iowa Wins, it’ll Be the first time I’ve personally seen a heliocentric offense win a championship.

They still ran Geno’s motion offense though. She was just responsible for all of it. Iowa runs the Luka/Lebron offense. I’ve really only seen the offensive style in the NBA.

Edit: Boston also posted something on social media. I have no words. Dawn and Boston have been nothing but wonderful ambassadors for the sport of women’s basketball.

Women’s basketball players are objectified and degraded enough as it is, shame on anyone who is a fan, player, coach, or part of the media - who went there. A trip to the final four should be a special experience for coaches and players, not a reminder at how awful people can be.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 2:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you, rAf! If people haven't lived it, they don't get it...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2023/04/01/dawn-staley-calls-out-media-bar-fight-comments-final-four/11582968002/

Quote:
While Dawn Staley was not thrilled about South Carolina’s Final Four loss to Iowa on Friday, the legendary coach was also not happy about the ongoing negative labels attached to her basketball program.

Prior to Friday’s game, Iowa head coach Lisa Bluder referenced someone who described going up against the Gamecocks for rebounds was like “going to a bar fight.” Staley did not take kindly to those remarks. After Friday’s defeat, she addressed the stereotypes regarding her team’s physicality and style of play, something that has been a topic of discussion the entire season.

...However, Staley has remained true to her coaching philosophy. Revealing that she got word of several national media members making comments that she suggested were impolite and rude, she has no intention of changing her coaching style for anyone.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I'm not sure anyone calculated usage rate during Diana's years, but I'm positive it was nowhere near Clark's extreme heliocentricity. Diana averaged about 16 or 17 ppg in her junior and senior years and the UConn offense was much more planetary than Iowa's with Clark.

Nor were Diana's teammates as sluggish as some other examples. Ashley Battle, Ann Strother, Barbara Turner and Jessica Moore all played in the WNBA for a few years, and Moore even started most of one year on the L.A. Sparks under Jellybean Bryant. I think even Willnett Crockett was selected for the WNBA and may have played few games.

I have doubts that any of Clark's starting teammates will make or have much success in the WNBA. Czinano is the most likely to get selected, but I don't think she can do much by her 6-3 self without all the Dunninger feeds from Clark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: