RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Ohio St vs #1 Virginia Tech - 3/27/23
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/27/23 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Final 4 let's goooooooo!!

PostPosted: 03/27/23 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

guess Owusu made the right choice Wink

congrats to Virginia Tech on making their first-ever Final Four! it's a great feeling!

Last edited by Stormeo on 03/27/23 10:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/27/23 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
It’s just amazing to me how little Ashley Owuso has played at VT, even despite being out a few games with an injury.

Any intel on this? She was quite the stud at Maryland.

I’m betting she was lackadaisical on her rehab and/or had a bad attitude on the bench. Those are both things Kenny doesn’t put up with. Emphasizing that those are guesses based on my knowledge of Kenny at JMU.

PostPosted: 03/27/23 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
It’s just amazing to me how little Ashley Owuso has played at VT, even despite being out a few games with an injury.

I’m betting she was lackadaisical on her rehab and/or had a bad attitude on the bench. Those are both things Kenny doesn’t put up with. Emphasizing that those are guesses based on my knowledge of Kenny at JMU.

There’s no way she sticks around then, right?

Does she even have any eligibility left?

Just sad to see. She reminded me of a young Chelsea Gray with her size at point and was on the preseason Naismith watch list.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/27/23 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Just sad to see. She reminded me of a young Chelsea Gray with her size at point and was on the preseason Naismith watch list.

Ashley just completed her senior year, so she still has her COVID year left. If she completed her degree, she could grad transfer to somewhere that would take a chance on her, but she obviously already used her first free transfer to get to VTech from Maryland. She has 48 hours to decide whether top declare for the WNBA draft.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/27/23 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

From a few things that I've read, it's just more confusing to me why Owusu hasn't been playing. Here's an excerpt from an ESPN article soon after Owusu was injured (broken finger) quoting Brooks: "Very unselfish -- she never really tried to go outside of what we were doing, just trying to figure it out," Brooks said of Owusu's early days in Blacksburg. "She had some games where she was a little bit in a lull because she was trying to figure it out, and then you kind of see -- unfortunately for us -- right before she got hurt, she was starting to figure it out. I thought she was going to get on a roll and then she gets hurt. But her attitude has been tremendous... we can't wait to get her back."

And here's another excerpt from an article in The Next @ The IX: "About a week later, The Next caught up with Brooks at High Point on Dec. 21 after an 86-66 Hokies win – their fifth in six games without Owusu. 'More and more every day, you see her using her hand and doing some things, Brooks said. 'The great thing is, she’s able to stay in shape. Stay in shape and run. So, hopefully as soon as we get her back, she’ll hit the ground running and be ready to come back. But we need her desperately.'"

From reading these it doesn't seem like there were any issues with Owusu's attitude or rehab but some things may have changed since then. Maybe Brooks ultimately felt the team was playing better without her down the stretch. Whatever is going on I hope she's able to get back on the court, play at a high level, and pick up where she left off when she was ballin' at Maryland.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/27/23 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Ashley just completed her senior year, so she still has her COVID year left. If she completed her degree, she could grad transfer to somewhere that would take a chance on her, but she obviously already used her first free transfer to get to VTech from Maryland. She has 48 hours to decide whether top declare for the WNBA draft.

She has 48 hours after Virginia Tech finishes playing, or is it 24.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/28/23 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
It's a total Network fraud. Look at the people in the stands, the officials, the speed of play and passes. It's not natural.

Even some of the officials move like olympic record holders.

A disgraceful display of deceit and it's unfair to women's basketball.

Are you streaming or watching satellite/cable?

Cable /DVR - If no one else has noticed the speed then maybe that's the cause of it. Thanks, I'll check it out. At the speed I am getting it, all these players should be playing in the WNBA. Smile

wnbafan

PostPosted: 03/28/23 5:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

I recall something from her where she said she was not staying at VT. I looked but couldn't find it.

Coach Frese had said last year's locker room was more me instead of we. I wonder if Owusu was part of that. I can see where Reese may have been.

PostPosted: 03/28/23 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
It's a total Network fraud. Look at the people in the stands, the officials, the speed of play and passes. It's not natural.

Even some of the officials move like olympic record holders.

A disgraceful display of deceit and it's unfair to women's basketball.

Are you streaming or watching satellite/cable?

Cable /DVR - If no one else has noticed the speed then maybe that's the cause of it. Thanks, I'll check it out. At the speed I am getting it, all these players should be playing in the WNBA. Smile

I'm not sure how they could speed up a live program without causing overrun problems

PostPosted: 03/28/23 8:04 am    ::: Ashley Owusu Reply Reply with quote

https://www.thenexthoops.com/ncaaw/acc/ashley-owusu-virginia-tech-acc-basketball-transfer-brooks/

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/28/23 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

She has 48 hours after Virginia Tech finishes playing, or is it 24.

You're right, as VTech is still playing. I thought it was 48 hours.

Tally24

PostPosted: 03/28/23 1:48 pm    ::: Re: Ashley Owusu Reply Reply with quote

Wiseone1 wrote:
https://www.thenexthoops.com/ncaaw/acc/ashley-owusu-virginia-tech-acc-basketball-transfer-brooks/

Check out her likes on Twitter. Someone tweeted that not playing her because they don’t want to disrupt chemistry isn’t just crazy, it’s a lie, and she favorited it. Something there for sure.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/28/23 3:52 pm    ::: Re: Ashley Owusu Reply Reply with quote

Wiseone1 wrote:

I couldn't get through to this site....any copy 'n pasting of relevant parts, maybe? I'd like to read it, if possible.

PostPosted: 03/28/23 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But Owusu didn’t see a minute of playing time for Virginia Tech in its three ACC Tournament wins in Greensboro. The most she’s played since the start of February was eight minutes at N.C. State on Feb. 6, when she attempted one shot and turned the ball over twice.

After Virginia Tech’s ACC Tournament quarterfinal win over Miami last Friday, a reporter from The Next approached Owusu in the locker room and asked her if she was physically able to play.

“Yes,” Owusu replied. “I’m good to go.”

So, if Owusu isn’t injured, then why isn’t she – a former All-American and Drysdale winner – playing for the Hokies?

The answer seems to be this: An injury cost Owusu valuable time to integrate herself into the Hokies’ system. While she was hurt, Virginia Tech figured out how to play without her, and that form of Virginia Tech seems to the best version of itself, considering that the Hokies have now won 11 straight games and played their way into the conversation for a No. 1 NCAA Tournament seed. And, rather than try to force Owusu into the lineup and risk disrupting the rest of the team, Brooks seems to be at peace with her not being part of the rotation.

And while Owusu hasn’t been playing, she’s been tweeting – quite a bit. A quick scroll through her Twitter timeline, or likes, displays the feelings of an athlete who is desperate and eager to get back on the court.
It doesn’t seem like Owusu ever had that moment with Brooks. She told The Next that it’s been “frustrating” at times to not see playing time on the court, like in Virginia Tech’s quarterfinal win over Miami, when the Hokies led by as much as 33 points in the fourth quarter.

And it seems unlikely that she’ll be an on-court contributor to the Hokies in the NCAA Tournament. That means we’ve probably seen the best of Owusu in college basketball.

She told The Next that she doesn’t plan to use her fifth year of eligibility and will instead turn pro.

“I still have goals,” Owusu said after the quarterfinal win over Miami. “I’m just mentally preparing myself and talking to myself and just trying to stay ready … It’s definitely been difficult, but it’s a team sport. I support my teammates and I’m happy that we got a good win.”

Howee

PostPosted: 03/28/23 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

^^ Thank you for that info. Hope she finds her 'place'. (●'◡'●)

PostPosted: 03/28/23 9:25 pm    ::: Re: Ashley Owusu Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Wiseone1 wrote:

Check out her likes on Twitter. Someone tweeted that not playing her because they don’t want to disrupt chemistry isn’t just crazy, it’s a lie, and she favorited it. Something there for sure.

Weird. But I don't think she should give up her fifth year. As the Tennessee player said, it's hard to make and stay on a WNBA team so she wanted to have as much time in college as possible to prepare. And in Owusu's case she has lost a lot of playing time this year. Not a good way to go into 2023 WNBA training camp. But she surely would have ti enter the portal if she played a 5th year.

The VT coach uses his bench in an Auriemma-esque fashion. In this game he played 7 players, one of whom played a minute. So Owasu doesn't need to fall down the bench that far to sit. And clearing the bench in blowouts seems to have gone the way of the dodo bird.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: