RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2023-24
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:20 am    ::: UConn 2023-24 Reply Reply with quote

I have no idea what the non-conference schedule looks like, but I imagine just as good as every other year (would love to see tOSU on the schedule, or a chance to get them in early season tournament).

They're doing a Europe trip before the season which will help build chemistry for the season, but the way this season ended I am curious what people's 'way-too-early' expectations are?

Interested in a few different story-lines for their roster...
What will the future career for Ducharme look like?
I wonder what Griffin is going to do, and I think GP wonders what Patterson/DeBerry will do...

& very intrigued about transfer portal again this off season.

Next year has to be better than this year, it cannot get much worse.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really interested in the transfer portal situation. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 2-3 transfers out, one of which nobody saw coming.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
I'm really interested in the transfer portal situation. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 2-3 transfers out, one of which nobody saw coming.

yeah I can see an unexpected transfer out this year.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/26/23 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised more benchies don't hit the portal but perhaps they will be content to sit on the bench for a contender. UConn will be really good next year if healthy and I'm guessing they will also get at least one surprise incoming player. Lou and Dorka were huge for them this year. I will be surprised if they don't get at least one incoming portal player who can make a difference. I think they get a couple of highly rated Freshmen guards as well.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/23 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Most benchies are in it for the degree, so they're usually content with the school they're at.

PostPosted: 03/26/23 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Most benchies are in it for the degree, so they're usually content with the school they're at.

except players that come out of HS highly rated, but get relegated. They are less likely to be content on the bench.
Looking at Patterson, Ducharme, even DeBerry, Griffin....None have shown much, but it's hard to show much when you are glued to the bench. I thought Ines showed some hope too so I think she would get interest as well.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/26/23 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think UConn is at 14 scholarships already, so if they pick up a portal transfer, they are at their limit unless someone transfers out.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
I think UConn is at 14 scholarships already, so if they pick up a portal transfer, they are at their limit unless someone transfers out.

Do they give schollies to team managers or something? There haven't been 14 players on the bench, even in street clothes. Then the bench players get some demeaning name like "rally dogs" or some such thing.

~rAf
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Mr. Pilight.

Mister PeriphereiaElectromagneticRadiation.

u did not just use the term “benchies” to refer to bench players omg bye Razz

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/27/23 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:

Do they give schollies to team managers or something? There haven't been 14 players on the bench, even in street clothes. Then the bench players get some demeaning name like "rally dogs" or some such thing.

Ignoring the snark, UConn had 12 scholarship players this season. This season UConn had 2 players that were injured before the season started that were declared out for the season:

Paige Bueckers
Ice Brady

They had 10 players that competed in games this season, although many missed games due to injury:

Aaliyah Edwards
Dorka Juhasz
Lou Lopez Senechal
Azzi Fudd
Nika Muhl
Aubrey Griffin
Caroline Ducharme
Amari DeBerry
Ayanna Patterson
Ines Bettencourt

Dorka and Lou have exhausted their eligibility, so they are gone, so they are down to 10 (returning) players.

UConn has 4 new players coming in:
Jana El Alfy (enrolled early in Spring 2023, practiced with the team and dressed for games, but did not play)
KK Arnold
Ashlynn Shade
Qadence Samuels

So they have 14 scholarship players for the 2023-24 season, assuming no attrition from the portal or other reasons.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 03/27/23 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's interesting to see what can be done with the portal. Dorka is now gone - remember why CT brought her in for??

(6-5) F Amari DeBerry
(6-3) P Isuneh Brady
(6-2) W Ayanna Patterson
(6-4) P Jana El Alfy
(6-2) F Qadence Samuels
(5-9) PG Kamorea Arnold
(5-9) G Ashlynn Shade
(5-10) G Allie Ziebell

On paper, CT seems well stocked with size in the post, but DeBerry has been a non-performer, Brady is unproven due to injury and is a bit under-sized as a true P, and is designated as a F by CT anyways, Patterson and Samuels likewise.

This leaves DeBerry and El Alfy as possible true Posts to carry the load for CT for the next 4-5 seasons. Will CT return to not having capable post depth against the tallest teams, like they were pre-Dorka?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/27/23 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
It's interesting to see what can be done with the portal. Dorka is now gone - remember why CT brought her in for??

(6-5) F Amari DeBerry
(6-3) P Isuneh Brady
(6-2) W Ayanna Patterson
(6-4) P Jana El Alfy
(6-2) F Qadence Samuels
(5-9) PG Kamorea Arnold
(5-9) G Ashlynn Shade
(5-10) G Allie Ziebell

On paper, CT seems well stocked with size in the post, but DeBerry has been a non-performer, Brady is unproven due to injury and is a bit under-sized as a true P, and is designated as a F by CT anyways, Patterson and Samuels likewise.

This leaves DeBerry and El Alfy as possible true Posts to carry the load for CT for the next 4-5 seasons. Will CT return to not having capable post depth against the tallest teams, like they were pre-Dorka?

I don't see DeBerry as a contributor, but I thought that Brady was a post, not a forward. She seems like a bruiser, which allows for less height in a college center. But you may know more than me about where she's projected to play, as I'm not a UConn fan and you seem to know a lot about UConn's team.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/06/23 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/04/06/archbishop-mitty-basketball-star-morgan-cheli-commits-to-uconn/

Archbishop-Mitty junior Morgan Cheli has verballed to UConn today. UConn fans thought she was Tara's to lose. Another guard with size.

And the beat goes on.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/07/23 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Morgan Cheli is the real deal. She's a legit 6-2 who can easily defend and score on the perimeter. USA Basketball gold medalist, high school and club star.

PostPosted: 04/07/23 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Somewhat related to this, how long does Geno plan to keep coaching? He’ll turn 70 during next year’s NCAA Tournament.

ucbart

PostPosted: 04/08/23 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

njjosh wrote:
Somewhat related to this, how long does Geno plan to keep coaching? He’ll turn 70 during next year’s NCAA Tournament.

I think Geno still has that fire to go out on top. I thought he'd retire with Azzi, but the last few years haven't been vintage UCONN and I think he wants to get back to the top top before he calls it a career. Plus, he's been on fire with recruiting lately.

And lastly, I think he might wait to see what's projected for UCONN with conference realignment.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/09/23 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
njjosh wrote:

I think Geno still has that fire to go out on top. I thought he'd retire with Azzi, but the last few years haven't been vintage UCONN and I think he wants to get back to the top top before he calls it a career. Plus, he's been on fire with recruiting lately.

And lastly, I think he might wait to see what's projected for UCONN with conference realignment.

I think he might retire when Paige and Azzi graduate. Just a feeling.

PostPosted: 04/11/23 5:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

does he talk with recruits regarding his future? do recruits ask?

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/13/23 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not going in the portal after Aneesha Morrow?

Should be putting school, team and fans first.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 04/21/23 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Not going in the portal after Aneesha Morrow?

Should be putting school, team and fans first.

I know nothing about Morrow aside from watching her play v. UConn, but maybe Geno IS thinking of the team by not going after Morrow.

How come no one seems to talk about team chemistry? How well a transfer in (someone like Morrow who is accustomed to being primary scorer?) may or may not fit with existing players? Is that not a consideration as well?

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 04/22/23 5:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

first of all, morrow isn't going to produce those numbers at a top school, so i'm thinking she shouldn't be drooled over this much.
second, geno would never.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/22/23 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maya Morrow is most interested in going to South Carolina and only a couple other schools.

(Geno and Doug Bruno are best of friends, for those who didn't know or catch on to my comment.)

robertoclementeforever

PostPosted: 04/29/23 7:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's spot on. There is no coach that Geno respects more than Doug Bruno.
They're not only best friends, they complete each others sentences! LOL

PostPosted: 04/29/23 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Artie:
I've been following your posts for years. You're a true aficionado of WCBB and consistently adhere to the highest highest standards of the culture.

Additionally, for being such a passionate Notre Dame fan, your knowledge of everything UCONN is second to none.

I would concur with your analysis of Ice Brady and as always, look forward to the ND/UCONN meeting this year. As you know, for true UCONN/ND fans, it's always about the Irish and Huskies. My hope is to be there. One more item to scratch from my "bucket list".

Smooth sailing my friend.

PostPosted: 04/29/23 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Artie:
I've been following your posts for years. You're a true aficionado of WCBB and consistently adhere to the highest highest standards of the culture.

Additionally, for being such a passionate Notre Dame fan, your knowledge of everything UCONN is second to none.

I would concur with your analysis of Ice Brady and as always, look forward to the ND/UCONN meeting this year. As you know, for true UCONN/ND fans, it's always about the Irish and Huskies. My hope is to be there. One more item to scratch from my "bucket list".

Smooth sailing my friend.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: