RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Is UConn's Dynasty Dead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is UConn Dynasty Dead?
Yes
59%
 59%  [ 22 ]
No
40%
 40%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 37

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/26/23 9:37 am    ::: Is UConn's Dynasty Dead? Reply Reply with quote

This author says it is.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2023/03/25/uconn-dynasty-over-sweet-16-loss-ncaa-tournament/11544707002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yes, but yes as in other-worldly streaks, national championships in a row, etc. not as in perennial contender.

i thought like 5-6 years ago it was a problem how good and better UConn was in comparison to the field? as some UConn'ers have said, it would raise the level of everyone else to catch up - its happened.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

does anyone here think the UConn loss was the biggest upset of the tourney?

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/26/23 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

No. I was expecting way more from Stanford and IU. This is about where I was expecting UConn. Maybe winning the Sweet 16 game, but not the E8 game.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/26/23 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

I wouldn't even consider it the biggest upset of the round

PostPosted: 03/26/23 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
snlMINAJ wrote:

No. I was expecting way more from Stanford and IU. This is about where I was expecting UConn. Maybe winning the Sweet 16 game, but not the E8 game.

Definitely not. Ohio State was a terrible matchup for Connecticut. I knew turnovers would be a problem. It's an upset, but only a minor one.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 03/26/23 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't dismiss UConn for at least another season. If two of the trio of Azzi, Aaliyah and Paige stay healthy, the Huskies are at least a Sweet 16 again and probably more. If they're all healthy, the sky's the limit.

I am so sad they lost.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/23 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes, as in all good things must end. All dynasties end eventually..UConn will contend, but not rule. Even now, they no longer get all the prime recruits. I see this as a good thing. I look forward to the day when the women's Final Four looks just a little more like the men's, with a few non-P5s in contention.

PostPosted: 03/26/23 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we’re certainly not yet at a point to where a Florida Atlantic-type team could make the Women’s Final Four – but slowly, we’re getting there

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOL

This poll is hysterical!

Here's another poll topic: will Geno ever play his bench before he retires?

And another: will Geno retire within 5 years?

THANK YOU DAWN STALEY!!!!!!!!

~rAf
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
This poll is hysterical!

maybe i’m just dense, but what’s so funny about it? sports dynasties kinda just come & they go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ it’s kind of an interesting exercise in trying to collectively identify at what point a dynasty either starts or ends

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/27/23 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is no agreed-upon or objective denotation of the word "dynasty" as applied to sports. Webster in an annotation suggests a sports dynasty is "a sports franchise which has a prolonged run of successful seasons."

Whether one adopts that definition or something similar, UConn's elite level of success is not likely to be "dead," a very definitive and conclusive word used in the poll question. So, the answer to the poll question is definitely a "no".

UConn should be competitive for a Final Four berth next season, though I don't believe they will be the lock many UConn fans do, as they are bringing in four strong strong players next season and Bueckers and Brady should be healthy.

Moreover, I believe UConn will remain powerful as long as Auriemma remains the coach because it is his unique reputation and unique personality that is the engine that drives UConn's successful recruiting.

UConn's "dynasty" is now and likely will remain less dynastic than it was when Bird, Taurasi, Moore and Stewart were there—diminished, but certainly not "dead."
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/27/23 4:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:

No, as soon as North Carolina blew out a tire or Ohio State pulled the game out, whichever one you desire to view it as, I bit on Ohio State to win immediately.

This was the worse match up for UConn, as you saw, if you watched the game. North Carolina would have been a UConn victory, I believe and so would have VT....JMO

Ohio State's press was simply too much for UConn to handle with only one real PG and the game plan would be to get either Muhl, Edwards or both. in foul trouble which they did.

With the Portal, anything is now possible...look at LSU.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/27/23 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A little history...Louisiana Tech dominated wcbb for a decade. When UNC beat them in the title game in 1994, that was the last title game they played in. They made it to several FF's after than, but their title run was over.

We're seeing UConn in similar trajectory, though their dynasty was sustained for two decades instead of one. They'll make at least one more FF - likely next year, but that'll be it. During the dynasty, UConn enjoyed less than average number of season ending injuries - most notably Tina Charles, Maya Moore and Breanna Stewart all played four straight years, which resulted in the bulk of UConn's titles.

This year, the injury bug caught up to UConn and a coach notorious for not playing his bench was left with having to play them because there was literally nobody left on the bench. Bench players from previous years had transferred out, leaving the bench short.

When UCOnn's two #1 players out of high school are both healthy at the same time, I expect them to propel UConn to a FF, to be defeated by dynasties still rising.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 03/27/23 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd be wary of relying on Bueckers. If she plays an entire college season it would be a first for her.

PostPosted: 03/27/23 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I'd be wary of relying on Bueckers. If she plays an entire college season it would be a first for her.

Didn't she play the whole season her frosh year when she won NPOY?

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 03/28/23 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dead? Nahh....just aging a bit, and not the fine specimen that it was 20 years ago.

UConn has set the Gold Standard for what any school can aspire to in *our* game. But - like Old Dominion, LaTech, Tennessee - glory fades with age. As with past dynasties, there'll be some level of being a contender, at least for a while.

This is the inevitable way things roll in sports like ours: each great, elite 'dynasty' is built by a singular personality, and seldom lasts much beyond that leader's departure. Barmore, Summit, Wooden, Coach K....the list goes on.

Geno's star is fading with age. But....DEAD? Not yet. Razz

PostPosted: 03/29/23 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:

She did.

And a back from injury Bueckers brought her team to the finals.

Imo, the UConn dynasty doesn’t die until Geno retires. Then I think there will be some tough years.

The difference is for the first time since Pat Summit, Geno has a real rival - who has equal opportunity to get the top recruits. Dawn Vs Geno is good for the game, IMO

PostPosted: 03/29/23 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:

She did.

And a back from injury Bueckers brought her team to the finals.

Imo, the UConn dynasty doesn’t die until Geno retires. Then I think there will be some tough years.

The difference is for the first time since Pat Summit, Geno has a real rival - who has equal opportunity to get the top recruits. Dawn Vs Geno is good for the game, IMO

Thank you and YES to everything! Pat Summitt took over from LATech/Barmore, Geno took over from Pat, Dawn is taking over from Geno. That's how it works. Just as Geno always had Muffett chomping at his heels, Dawn has Kimmy. And Tara was always out west cranking out victories and a few Championships.

Rivalries are good for the game, good for the athletes and good for the fans. Dynasties are good to a point. When media pays zero attention to any other teams, it's not good for anyone but the dynasty. This year, the media is paying attention to all the teams, though Virginia Tech is getting the short end. They do have the longest current winning streak of the 4 teams playing.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: