RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#5 Louisville vs #2 Iowa - 3/26/23
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/26/23 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Hailey blowing a kiss to the Iowa player after hitting a three is peak asshole behavior. Cannot stand her. Or anyone on Louisville.

Go Iowa!!

Trash talk has been a part of the game for DECADES. Anyone that can't handle trash talk should not play the game. Some players self motivate themselves by the quality of their trash talk. I used to play against players that would not shut up the entire game. If a player can divert your focus off the game then that is the edge they are looking for to win.

Thanks for letting me know about trash talk. So interesting.

That may be, but those who do it frequently and/or continually are still trashy.

PostPosted: 03/26/23 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really happy for Lisa Bluder and the Hawkeyes! 97-83.

PostPosted: 03/26/23 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Really happy for Lisa Bluder and the Hawkeyes! 97-83.

I love offense!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/26/23 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LMFAO that “10th rebound” for Clark was most certainly not a real rebound but PLEEEEEEASE STATISTICIANS PLS DONT TAKE IT AWAY FROM HER, 40-POINT TRIPLE-DOUBLE BY CAITLIN CLARK IN THE ELITE EIGHT IN SEATTLE, WASHINGTON, USA HOLY GOOD MOTHER OF GOD

congrats undersized_post and other Hawkeye fans for your squad making the Final Four for the first time in 30 years!!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/26/23 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cards did a good job in limiting Czinano field goals, but otherwise couldn't stop anyone else.

If Iowa can hit 16 3pters and 23 FTMS, they can beat anyone. But I doubt that such an ornate scoring architecture can be repeated.

I've never seen a player who can control control the ball, hence control the scoring, hence control the game like Clark.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/26/23 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

also, Clark is 16 points away from her first 1,000-point season

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/26/23 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Hailey blowing a kiss to the Iowa player after hitting a three is peak asshole behavior. Cannot stand her. Or anyone on Louisville.

Go Iowa!!

Trash talk has been a part of the game for DECADES. Anyone that can't handle trash talk should not play the game. Some players self motivate themselves by the quality of their trash talk. I used to play against players that would not shut up the entire game. If a player can divert your focus off the game then that is the edge they are looking for to win.

Yeah, but IMHO there's trash talking that's crafty gamesmanship and trash talking that's just...well, trash. Not accusing HVL or Clark of engaging in one kind or the other, just pointing out that (for me anyway) there's a line with trash talk that shouldn't be crossed.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
congrats undersized_post and other Hawkeye fans for your squad making the Final Four for the first time in 30 years!!

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 03/26/23 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When playing street basketball there are two games going on within the game. There is the physical side of the game and there is the mental side of the game. Many of your opponents are as physically gifted as you are. The edge that you get in a game is to get inside your opponent's head and have their mental focus elsewhere. That is how you win the game. SWISH!🏀

PostPosted: 03/27/23 3:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark is a freak!

Give me HVL blowing kisses, Angel licking her fingers, and personality any day. If you don’t like the trash talk/feisty play, its presence should make you appreciate the flip side of that approach even more. It’d be a really boring place if everyone played with the cool stoicism of Fudd/Berger/Boston. Love to love and love to hate players are the best!
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/27/23 4:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hailey and Caitlin were roommates on the under USA team that won gold medals. I assumed they were good friends.

However, at the handshake neither one said anything to the other and both kind of ignored the other.

At the Postgame, neither Hailey nor the rest of the Louisville panel would say more than "she played well" when asked twice about Caitlin.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/27/23 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2023/03/26/caitlin-clark-iowa-womens-basketballs-transcendent-talent/11548216002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 03/27/23 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
When playing street basketball there are two games going on within the game. There is the physical side of the game and there is the mental side of the game. Many of your opponents are as physically gifted as you are. The edge that you get in a game is to get inside your opponent's head and have their mental focus elsewhere. That is how you win the game. SWISH!🏀

There is always going to be trash-talking but if you are really good at trash- talking the fans never know you do it, much less what you say. When the fans/viewers are aware of it, it's gone too far. The incident with the Bowling Green/Memphis player probably started with trash-talking during the game. Coaches, officials, and parents could put the brakes on it at a young age but they refuse to do so.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/27/23 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Caitlin Clark is the floorburn queen!

It's like playing Hockey without a helmet and pads for her. There should be more severe penalty calls for unnecessary rough stuff and intentional fouls. Of course, nothing will change until someone gets paralyzed or dies from the it.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/27/23 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsProudSooner wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

There is always going to be trash-talking but if you are really good at trash- talking the fans never know you do it, much less what you say. When the fans/viewers are aware of it, it's gone too far. The incident with the Bowling Green/Memphis player probably started with trash-talking during the game. Coaches, officials, and parents could put the brakes on it at a young age but they refuse to do so.

There is an infamous gesture that Reggie Miller gave a fan( Spike Lee) during a playoff game between the New York Knicks and the Indiana Pacers. Reggie used to feed off trash talking. Pat Riley told his players before the game not to engage Miller. They obeyed their coach and were silent. Reggie and Indiana was getting blown off the court in the first half. Spike Lee was feeling good about himself and began to engage Miller in some trash talk. Reggie looked at him and began to feed off that trash talk. Reggie could not miss a shot in the second half of the game. He hit three after three, and more threes. Reggie was a one man wrecking ball against New York. Indiana came back and won that game. Reggie looked right at Spike and gave him the choked gesture.

Last edited by Rock Hard on 03/27/23 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/27/23 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

THIS! It's like the game of Spades where you have to play with the hand you're dealt. Good trash talking can cause opponent to overbid so the players with bad hands win the game. Not having the benefit of sitting at a Spades table as a child watching adults playing and seeing it happen for myself, I luckily had a teacher who taught 1) rules, 2) strategy and 3) trash talking. We'd face two young, over confident bucks at the table. At their first bid, I'd say "Is that all you got?" They'd look at each other and I could see it go through their heads "Uh oh, if she knows how to trash talk, she knows how to play." We won the game.

Back to basketball. Trash talk has to be strategic to be effective at giving you an advantage. The trash talk/behavior that is aimed at the crowd usually energizes the opponent, which is the opposite effect that is effective.

And, as an example of trash talk that has no place in this game is when a Rutgers player razzed a UConn player who'd been sexually assaulted by a coach as a teenager. Geno was rightfully outraged. If I'd been the coach, I'd likely have been ejected by what I said or did after that happened. The Rutgers player should have been pulled out of the game (but wasn't).

~rAf
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/27/23 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

THIS! It's like the game of Spades where you have to play with the hand you're dealt. Good trash talking can cause opponent to overbid so the players with bad hands win the game. Not having the benefit of sitting at a Spades table as a child watching adults playing and seeing it happen for myself, I luckily had a teacher who taught 1) rules, 2) strategy and 3) trash talking. We'd face two young, over confident bucks at the table. At their first bid, I'd say "Is that all you got?" They'd look at each other and I could see it go through their heads "Uh oh, if she knows how to trash talk, she knows how to play." We won the game.

Back to basketball. Trash talk has to be strategic to be effective at giving you an advantage. The trash talk/behavior that is aimed at the crowd usually energizes the opponent, which is the opposite effect that is effective.

And, as an example of trash talk that has no place in this game is when a Rutgers player razzed a UConn player who'd been sexually assaulted by a coach as a teenager. Geno was rightfully outraged. If I'd been the coach, I'd likely have been ejected by what I said or did after that happened. The Rutgers player should have been pulled out of the game (but wasn't).

Agree completely. Players who trash talk are fun. But there is a line. The girl who threw racial slurs at Brit is another prime example.

But blowing a kiss? Nah, that’s a fun player.

I have to say, Clark impressed me. Like a lot. I’ve seen her a few times and been left with “she’s a pretty good player..” but she owned the floor.

I do wish they’d stop calling her Sue/Diana. I know they are the gold standard of guards, but outside of long threes - she really doesn’t play like either. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player who controls the ball and consistently makes those on point cross court passes the way Clark does. But it’s okay for her to be her own player - we don’t need comparisons.

PostPosted: 03/27/23 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Caitlin Clark is the floorburn queen!

It's like playing Hockey without a helmet and pads for her. There should be more severe penalty calls for unnecessary rough stuff and intentional fouls. Of course, nothing will change until someone gets paralyzed or dies from the it.

Glad you pointed this out. Clark gets called a flopper quite a lot, and I'm not saying she never flops. But I would also argue she takes at least as much (if not more) contact on and off the ball than any other guard in the NCAA this year.

PostPosted: 03/27/23 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Go Iowa!!

That may be, but those who do it frequently and/or continually are still trashy.

I guess Michael Jordan was pure TRASH during his prime years in the NBA.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsProudSooner wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

That is why so many are so surprised to hear Larry Bird was the unanimous choice as the best trash talker from his opponents. But watching the games you never knew what he was saying. "The ball is coming inbounds to me right here, and I am going to turn and shoot it right in your face for the win and you cannot do anything about it."

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Go Iowa!!

I guess Michael Jordan was pure TRASH during his prime years in the NBA.

By all accounts Jordan did not talk trash, and made players pay that talked it to him. There are several YouTube videos devoted to players who had the unfortunate experience of them or a teammate trash talking Michael and the bomb he dropped on them, all while just looking at them but not syaing nothing until the end of the game.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

I am white, like corn fed farm bred middle of Indiana white. I also grew up playing cards since I was 5. So when I joined the army and was sent to a supply company in Germany, I gravitated to the spades game when we were in the field. My sergeant, who was a veteran of many years and also white as sour cream called next, he asked me to play with him. We held the table for nearly two hours, and by the time we finally lost the first time, I had learned how to talk trash and most of it was from my partner.... That was some of my most enjoyable time in the army, two pasty white guys just owning the spades table, talking trash and telling the brothers to "get up and come back when you learn how to play this game NEXT!!!" All in good fun, but you could hear the black guys muttering amongst themselves how this was supposed to be THEIR game, not whiteys.... Thanks for bringing that memory back. And if you have never slapped bones with some black army veterans, you have not heard first class trash talking.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: