RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Ohio St vs #2 Connecticut - 3/25/23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the heck was that? Looked like a push to me but I’m not a zebra.

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

73-61 OSU

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State completely out played us. Extremely disappointed with Nika Muhl.

blaase22

The draw was wide open for Uconn to make the title game, espn must be devastated.

GlennMacGrady

Well-deserved win by OSU. They exposed all of UConn's well-hidden but significant offensive and defensive weaknesses.

UConn ended up about where I expected, S16. They were clearly the weakest UConn team since 2005. Without the gifts of Senechal and Juhasz from the transfer portal, this would have been the weakest UConn team since about 1990.
NYSports56

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh well. Azzi wasn't truly back, and the Huskies couldn't handle the press. Alliyah Edwards with 4 points. I'm disappointed: UConn was not mentally prepared for this game. No more games. Crying or Very sad

lynxmania

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

go ohio state!

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The better team won. Ohio St played well, but UConn did a lot to beat themselves. First half was about the turnovers and not handling the press; second half we couldn’t get enough stops or make enough shots to actually make a legit push.

Lots of ticky tack fouls both ways. They more negatively impacted UConn more, but not the reason for the loss.

Shame on Geno and the posts for not taking advantage of their height advantage.

Having only been to two UConn games prior to today, I would not have guessed I’d be in attendance for the game that ended the Final Four steak.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Oh well. Azzi wasn't truly back, and the Huskies couldn't handle the press. Alliyah Edwards with 4 points. I'm disappointed: UConn was not mentally prepared for this game. No more games. Crying or Very sad

Not only short-handed and unprepared, but they don’t get every top recruit any more, so even though they have Fudd and next year, Bueckers, they don’t get all of them. This year Geno finally had to do something strange…learn to use his bench! 🙀

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn turnovers: 25.
UConn field goals made: 24.

UConn missed FT's: 8.
UConn made FT's: 7.

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Tally24 wrote:
The officiating has been mad inconsistent. McMahon and Edwards both had really questionable 4th fouls.

Who are these guys anyway? The zebras I mean.

Tyler Trimble, Tiara Cruse, Michael McConnell (per the boxscore)

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
Oh well. Azzi wasn't truly back

Back from what?

Let's have some critical empirical honesty: Fudd has never proved much at all in the last four years. She was injured all her junior year in high school, had her senior year wiped out by Covid, and has been injured for much of her freshman and sophomore years in college. When playing at UConn, she has been at best an inconsistent performer and streak shooter who doesn't get a lot of rebounds or assists.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well. THAT gave my bracket a boost! (Now I'm almost caught up to CTHSKZFN Laughing )

I really believed Ohio State could pull this off. (NOW where do you wish you'd stayed, Miss Dorka!? Razz) Miss Cotie was amazing, especially considering she's a freshman. Kinda like The New Guard is taking the baton from the Old Guard that created their newfound Buckeye status . I'm not a McGuff fan, but he's done more than I'd have ever expected since the decline from their Glory Daze with Davenport/Lavender/Prahalis, etc.

UConn did 'bout as well as could be expected, given all the adversity they've dealt with - they will be a force next year. May the gods of healing smile on them. The entire wbb universe wants Paige back.

Go Buckeyes/B1G! But not too hard - my bracket wants VA Tech. Cool

PostPosted: 03/25/23 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As someone who knows what it's like for your injury laden team to lose in the Sweet Sixteen when your preseason expectations were higher, let me commiserate.... Confused

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/25/23 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those who suggest that UConn gets special treatment from the media, well, Hmmm:

https://twitter.com/sabreenajm/status/1639755054482857984?s=42&t=3uzKoVVNi-5lQBb_nDWAPg

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/25/23 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
For those who suggest that UConn gets special treatment from the media, well, Hmmm:

https://twitter.com/sabreenajm/status/1639755054482857984?s=42&t=3uzKoVVNi-5lQBb_nDWAPg

Oh my, tissues for me but not for thee? Rude.

PostPosted: 03/25/23 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Back from what?

Let's have some critical empirical honesty: Fudd has never proved much at all in the last four years. She was injured all her junior year in high school, had her senior year wiped out by Covid, and has been injured for much of her freshman and sophomore years in college. When playing at UConn, she has been at best an inconsistent performer and streak shooter who doesn't get a lot of rebounds or assists.

Back from what I saw from her at the start of the season. I only started watching college basketball this year. I tuned into some games to watch some senior pro prospects, and when I watched an early UConn game (to see Dorka and maybe Lou), Azzi absolutely blew me away. She was better than the streak shooter you describe, and with that unbelievably quick release and feathery touch, I was a total believer. She also showed quick hands on defense along with great positioning instincts. Her cuts to the basket were sharp and well timed, and she finished them. She made better decisions under pressure. I was convinced I was watching a future WNBA star, and I still believe she will be if her body doesn't let her down.

I went back and watched some of last year's tournament games on You Tube (also to see what Paige was like on the court), and Azzi looked great then too.

Regardless of whether my idealized version of what Azzi is is accurate, she has not been the same player she was before the injury. Everything just feels a little off to me. That's why I wasn't convinced that the 3rd quarter of the Baylor game meant that she had returned to that early season form, as many were assuming. Unfortunately, my fears were justified.

Shout out to Ohio State for exploiting UConn where it was weakest. I knew it was the wrong matchup for us. I just hoped we'd be able to overcome it. I definitely didn't think it would be the total train wreck that it was.

Thank to the Huskies for an awesome and dramatic season. I lived and died with every shot, and I'm really sad that I don't get to watch a few more games. Can't wait for next season.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/26/23 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:

Back from what?

Back from what I saw from her at the start of the season. I only started watching college basketball this year. I tuned into some games to watch some senior pro prospects, and when I watched an early UConn game (to see Dorka and maybe Lou), Azzi absolutely blew me away. She was better than the streak shooter you describe, and with that unbelievably quick release and feathery touch, I was a total believer. She also showed quick hands on defense along with great positioning instincts. Her cuts to the basket were sharp and well timed, and she finished them. She made better decisions under pressure. I was convinced I was watching a future WNBA star, and I still believe she will be if her body doesn't let her down.

I went back and watched some of last year's tournament games on You Tube (also to see what Paige was like on the court), and Azzi looked great then too.

Regardless of whether my idealized version of what Azzi is is accurate, she has not been the same player she was before the injury. Everything just feels a little off to me. That's why I wasn't convinced that the 3rd quarter of the Baylor game meant that she had returned to that early season form, as many were assuming. Unfortunately, my fears were justified.

Shout out to Ohio State for exploiting UConn where it was weakest. I knew it was the wrong matchup for us. I just hoped we'd be able to overcome it. I definitely didn't think it would be the total train wreck that it was.

Thank to the Huskies for an awesome and dramatic season. I lived and died with every shot, and I'm really sad that I don't get to watch a few more games. Can't wait for next season.

Agree she hasn’t “proved much” but she’s been injured. And she was sick in last year’s championship game. She was playing like a legit All American before her knee setback this season. I hope she gets healthy and rests this summer because she’s an obvious talent.

And for those of us that have seen each and every UConn title run and trip to the Final Four back to 2008, let’s “enjoy the parity” because if Bueckers and Fudd and Edwards are healthy next season (and Aliyah Boston is firmly in the WNBA) no is beating UConn next March. Or perhaps all season if everyone remains healthy.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/26/23 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the one fucking time I was rooting for UConn

THE ONE FUCKING TIME

(now with spelling variations)
mercfan3

PostPosted: 03/26/23 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

THE ONE FUCKING TIME

Laughing

High pressure games get a little harder for everyone when you don’t have Paige Bueckers to bail you out.

The team lost their head completely, but the true issue was they were pressed and only had one ball handler. They played with a lot of heart all year, but wbb is Star driven, and ours was on the bench.

14 consecutive final fours is ridiculous, and CT fans have nothing to whine about. Lou played her heart out, I wish we got her back for another year. What an amazing story.

Congrats to Ohio State. They were the better team.

PostPosted: 03/26/23 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

THE ONE FUCKING TIME

so this is your fault?!?!? Wink

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/26/23 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
Queenie wrote:

THE ONE FUCKING TIME

so this is your fault?!?!? Wink

It's true, I'm not that good at breaking the press

(now with spelling variations)
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/26/23 4:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

THE ONE FUCKING TIME

You were rooting for the Huskies? There must be a good story there. Did McGuff steal your cat? Run over your dog? Utter an unkind word about Barnes Arico? Please tell!

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 03/26/23 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Things are kinda quiet, anyone heard from Art and Linkster?

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/26/23 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Things are kinda quiet, anyone heard from Art and Linkster?

but honestly, what’s wrong with things like that being kinda quiet? Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: