RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What does "overachieving" mean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/15/23 4:35 pm    ::: What does "overachieving" mean Reply Reply with quote

I always thought "overachieving" means that a team achieved more than anybody expected them to - which is a really good thing for a team to do.

However, I've just been told that calling a team "overachieving" means I don't think the team is very good. Does anybody else think that? Just wondering.

To me, a team that overachieved in the regular season is primed and ready to overachieve in the post season. They are clearly better than anybody thought they'd be.

~rAf
MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 03/15/23 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with you. The dictionary says overachieving is performing better or achieving more than is expected or standard.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/16/23 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MsProudSooner wrote:
I agree with you. The dictionary says overachieving is performing better or achieving more than is expected or standard.

Thank you. Can't wait for games to begin. However, the cranky fans of teams who have no chance of winning will just get crankier when they inevitably lose. I, however, believe in my team, will celebrate victories and remember a great season when it's over. That's the beauty of supporting a team that overachieves in a season. It's all gravy.

Have I lamented when my team is the one whose season is cut short by devastating injury? Absolutely. It's devastating.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/16/23 9:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A team predicted to finish 6th in their conference that finishes in a tie for first and wins the championship game by 30 points might conceivably be called overachieving, no? Speaking here of JMU, of course.

I also think that Duke and VA Tech could be considered overachievers, because they did better than expected.

PostPosted: 03/16/23 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
A team predicted to finish 6th in their conference that finishes in a tie for first and wins the championship game by 30 points might conceivably be called overachieving, no? Speaking here of JMU, of course.

I also think that Duke and VA Tech could be considered overachievers, because they did better than expected.

Congrats to James Madison, as they have had a great season. Their next game will be very tough, though. How are they at breaking a press?

I don't think VTech overachieved, at least not based on ACC preseason polls. The Blue Ribbon panel (https://theacc.com/news/2022/10/19/louisville-picked-as-preseason-acc-womens-basketball-favorite.aspx) had them ranked second (behind Louisville) and they finished the regular season tied for 2nd (with Duke but behind Notre Dame). Then they easily won the ACC tournament (but of course Notre Dame had to go without Miles, their second starting guard they lost to injury this season). Duke has the claim to best finish compared to expectations, as they were predicted to finish 7th and finished tied for second. Notre Dame was predicted to finish 4th but finished first in the regular season. They seemed to have overachieved compared to VTech.

Blue Ribbon Panel Predicted Order of Finish (60 voters)
Louisville (31) - 1068
Virginia Tech (17) - 984
NC State (Cool - 963
Notre Dame (4) - 942
North Carolina - 895
Miami - 674
Duke - 627
Georgia Tech - 623
Florida State - 553
Syracuse - 379
Virginia - 303
Clemson - 275
Boston College - 271
Wake Forest - 256
Pittsburgh - 187

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/16/23 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
MsProudSooner wrote:

Thank you. Can't wait for games to begin. However, the cranky fans of teams who have no chance of winning will just get crankier when they inevitably lose. I, however, believe in my team, will celebrate victories and remember a great season when it's over. That's the beauty of supporting a team that overachieves in a season. It's all gravy.

Have I lamented when my team is the one whose season is cut short by devastating injury? Absolutely. It's devastating.

I get that Art is difficult, but you are constantly baiting him over and over again? Why? It shows up in thread after thread. And when people don't respond to a thread, you start a new one in hopes of getting a response. You can post what you want, but you probably shouldn't act all indignant when you get the response you know you are going to get when you bait him.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/16/23 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How good is JMU at breaking a press? Not bad, plus they have a stable of long range bombers who aren’t afraid to throw up 3s.

PostPosted: 03/17/23 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overachieving is actually a word than can be used in two very different contexts. Certainly it is used for a team that does better than expectations but it is also properly used in the context of a team having done better than expected up to a certain point but who is expected to revert to their natural talent going forward.

The real question always becomes, "Has the team overperformed their actual abilities or were they underrated previously (and therefore need to be reevaluated going further)?

In the case of Duke I believe they are a team that is better than originally expected due to an excellent defense. But while they did beat Virginia Tech once, there other two losses to the Hokies and their loss to UConn were by a combined 65 points. I think Duke is a team for which both uses of overachieving could apply.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: