RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Which 3 seed will be the first to fall?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

First 3 seed to fall
Notre Dame
33%
 33%  [ 11 ]
Duke
27%
 27%  [ 9 ]
LSU
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Ohio State
36%
 36%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 33

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/14/23 3:22 pm    ::: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

~rAf
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/14/23 4:21 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I picked three to lose in the S16, but of those, I think Ohio State has the best chance of loosing sooner. They would face a second round game against a very good UNC, or potentially a Purdue team that has already beaten them.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/23 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While LSU is the weakest of the lot, they were gifted a very soft bracket section. I voted for Ohio State.

PostPosted: 03/14/23 5:25 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I can see a few who agree with me: that Olivia Miles will not be playing and ND is seeded too high without Olivia on the floor. The committee had not gotten "official" word about whether Olivia would be playing or not so seeded them according to their record. However, early out is their record without Olivia.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/14/23 5:29 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

As a Duke fan, I totally get voting for Duke to be the first 3 seed to fall. It's hard to see such an anemic offense going far in the tourney, just as it was hard pre-season to see this team even in the tournament. Can this group of over-achievers continue a great run?

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 03/14/23 5:43 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I can see a few who agree with me: that Olivia Miles will not be playing and ND is seeded too high without Olivia on the floor. The committee had not gotten "official" word about whether Olivia would be playing or not so seeded them according to their record. However, early out is their record without Olivia.

It makes the Irish a wild card to be sure. We don't know her status either. She might play, which would make them easily the strongest team of the four.

PostPosted: 03/14/23 5:43 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Hmmmm. Interesting. IIRC, even with their entire roster intact, Duke scored even fewer points and "went out" at the exact same point as ND in the ACC Tournament. And even with their full roster Duke couldn't win on the last weekend at home to secure the regular season title, while without Miles ND could come back from down double digits to win on the road and take home the trophy. So I guess you'd have to say "early out" is Duke's best case fully healthy scenario and by your "logic" even with their full roster Duke must be seeded too high.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/14/23 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND won't go very far if Miles is not available to play in the tournament.

Last edited by Rock Hard on 03/14/23 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 03/14/23 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
ND won't go very far if Miles is available to play in the tournament.

....do you mean "if Miles is NOT available to play"?

I voted Ohio State, too, but Jaci Sheldon's return might avoid that.

PostPosted: 03/14/23 7:32 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Hmmmm. Interesting. IIRC, even with their entire roster intact, Duke scored even fewer points and "went out" at the exact same point as ND in the ACC Tournament. And even with their full roster Duke couldn't win on the last weekend at home to secure the regular season title, while without Miles ND could come back from down double digits to win on the road and take home the trophy. So I guess you'd have to say "early out" is Duke's best case fully healthy scenario and by your "logic" even with their full roster Duke must be seeded too high.

Hook, line, sinker.

~rAf
PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/14/23 7:37 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

Hook, line, sinker.

All of this in so many threads certainly makes me hope the answer is a tie between Duke and Notre Dame.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 03/14/23 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
ND won't go very far if Miles is available to play in the tournament.

....do you mean "if Miles is NOT available to play"?

I voted Ohio State, too, but Jaci Sheldon's return might avoid that.

I apologize. One missing word does change the meaning of a sentence.🥴

PostPosted: 03/14/23 8:37 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

Dup

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 03/14/23 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/14/23 8:37 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

All of this in so many threads certainly makes me hope the answer is a tie between Duke and Notre Dame.

I think it will be interesting and really have no good idea how ND will respond to playing without Miles after having nearly two weeks to plan and practice to play without her. They're actually missing the whole backcourt they started the year with having lost Mabrey as well earlier. ND has had bad injury timing luck before, losing Brianna Turner to an ACL in the NCAA 2nd round, and a different year losing Natalie Achonwa in the Elite 8. The latter time they still beat Baylor and Maryland before losing to UConn in the title game.

Eerily similar to this year, Coach Ivey has first hand experience having torn her own ACL in the semifinals of the Big East tournament right before the 1999 NCAA Tournament. Without their pg they ended up losing to LSU in the second round. (BTW, Purdue won it all that year) Two years later ND won the NC.

But I'm pretty sure ND will score more than 37 pts which is all a totally healthy Duke could muster vs VaTech. If you can't score, you aren't going very far in the NCAA Tournament.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/14/23 10:01 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I think it will be interesting and really have no good idea how ND will respond to playing without Miles after having nearly two weeks to plan and practice to play without her. They're actually missing the whole backcourt they started the year with having lost Mabrey as well earlier. ND has had bad injury timing luck before, losing Brianna Turner to an ACL in the NCAA 2nd round, and a different year losing Natalie Achonwa in the Elite 8. The latter time they still beat Baylor and Maryland before losing to UConn in the title game.

Eerily similar to this year, Coach Ivey has first hand experience having torn her own ACL in the semifinals of the Big East tournament right before the 1999 NCAA Tournament. Without their pg they ended up losing to LSU in the second round. (BTW, Purdue won it all that year) Two years later ND won the NC.

But I'm pretty sure ND will score more than 37 pts which is all a totally healthy Duke could muster vs VaTech. If you can't score, you aren't going very far in the NCAA Tournament.

Duke went from not rated to a 3 seed. We'll take it. Love this group of over achievers. Only a few more days until they show us on the court what they can do this post season.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/14/23 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

can they all lose in the first round, please and thank you?

PostPosted: 03/14/23 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

How about just LSU? That shouldn't be too much to ask, right? Very Happy

Tally24

PostPosted: 03/15/23 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Noo. I have two shirts I want to wear to the first and second round games.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/15/23 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Ohio State will be first, LSU second.

PostPosted: 03/15/23 11:43 am    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

You are comparing Apples & Oranges to bust RAF's chops.

VT is currently a #1 seed and Louisville is unranked....

The Olivia Miles I saw at the ACC tourney could barely walk...I will be stunned if she plays

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/15/23 1:15 pm    ::: Re: Which 3 seed will be the first to fall? Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:

You are comparing Apples & Oranges to bust RAF's chops.

VT is currently a #1 seed and Louisville is unranked....

The Olivia Miles I saw at the ACC tourney could barely walk...I will be stunned if she plays

It's just Art being Art. I didn't bite. Duke went from unranked to 3 seed. ND went from pre season #8 to a 3 seed - so basically achieved what everyone thought they would based on personnel. Everyone not named Art knows Duke has WAY overachieved, based on a roster with no shooters and only Celeste Taylor making any all ACC team - and that's based on her incredible defense.

A kindergartner could attack Duke's offense. We know what we have - and what we don't have. Just like 1 seed Stanford went down many moons ago due to be overseeded when committee did not know about injuries, ND is likely to see a similar fate. Most people not named Art know this and don't try to camouflage with a bunch of bs about Duke's offense.

PS: Just want to point out that back in 1999, I suffered a LOT of abuse when I asserted that Duke could beat Tennessee and thwart their fourpeat attempt. A lot of attacks were much more brutal than Art's weak attack. Now that team had some sharp shooters in addition to two of the best defenders to ever don a Duke uniform - Peppi Brown and Rochelle Parent - who shut down Holdsclaw AND Catchings. I watched Michelle Snow wandering downcourt with bewilderment, then Chamique and Kelli dissolve in tears. Tennessee fans were gracious as we Duke fans behaved like crazed animals - knowing that their program was in such high esteem that defeating them was Duke's entry into elite status. Without that victory, I doubt Alana Beard would have committed to Duke and she's the #1 player to propel Duke into perennial elite status.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/15/23 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Speaking of a poster posting in character.....

What exactly do preseason polls and expectations have to do with being over or under seeded or how far a team will go? Nothing? Oh yeah that's what I thought. But when, like all manure, your point dissolves, you just move the goalposts and change the subject. At least you're predictable.

You're right about one thing though. Injuries to key players can definitely cause a team to lose to teams they would otherwise have easily beaten. ND's regular season loss to Duke is an excellent example.

And, if you ever read before posting, you'd have seen how I discussed ND suffering that bad luck on several occasions in previous NCAA tournaments, including an untimely injury to Ivey herself in 1999.

BTW, I don't know if you understand what you're saying but by screaming at the top of your lungs that you're team has "WAY overachieved" you're necessarily saying they're not actually as good as their record suggests.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/15/23 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Wow. Speaking of a poster posting in character.....

What exactly do preseason polls and expectations have to do with being over or under seeded or how far a team will go? Nothing? Oh yeah that's what I thought. But when, like all manure, your point dissolves, you just move the goalposts and change the subject. At least you're predictable.

You're right about one thing though. Injuries to key players can definitely cause a team to lose to teams they would otherwise have easily beaten. ND's regular season loss to Duke is an excellent example.

And, if you ever read before posting, you'd have seen how I discussed ND suffering that bad luck on several occasions in previous NCAA tournaments, including an untimely injury to Ivey herself in 1999.

BTW, I don't know if you understand what you're saying but by screaming at the top of your lungs that you're team has "WAY overachieved" you're necessarily saying they're not actually as good as their record suggests.

LOL. Pot meet kettle. Exactly the obtuse response that befits.

~rAf
singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/15/23 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Noo. I have two shirts I want to wear to the first and second round games.

One shirt for the first half, one for the second! We both can get what we want Laughing

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/16/23 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Miles is officially out. https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35871473/notre-dame-star-olivia-miles-season-knee-injury

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: