RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching Searches
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/14/23 12:11 pm    ::: Coaching Searches Reply Reply with quote

I saw this linked on Raoul’s twitter and was kind of astonished that someone at Pitt would leak such specific information. Two of these coaches are leading NCAA teams and another a WNIT.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/03/14/pitt-womens-basketball-coaching-search-update/

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/14/23 2:40 pm    ::: Re: Coaching Searches Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I saw this linked on Raoul’s twitter and was kind of astonished that someone at Pitt would leak such specific information. Two of these coaches are leading NCAA teams and another a WNIT.

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2023/03/14/pitt-womens-basketball-coaching-search-update/

Yeah I thought the same thing when I saw the article also. And I thought schools usually waited to interview coaches until their teams were eliminated from postseason tournaments

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/14/23 3:45 pm    ::: Re: Coaching Searches Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

Yeah I thought the same thing when I saw the article also. And I thought schools usually waited to interview coaches until their teams were eliminated from postseason tournaments

I can't imagine Bill Scholl is too happy about this. I hope Duffy didn't blindside him ( or Muffett) and that they didn't just read about this the first time on Twitter or the news this morning.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/14/23 4:01 pm    ::: Re: Coaching Searches Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I can't imagine Bill Scholl is too happy about this. I hope Duffy didn't blindside him ( or Muffett) and that they didn't just read about this the first time on Twitter or the news this morning.

I don’t think there’s any way Marquette can keep Duffy long term. I just wonder when she’ll leave and where she’ll end up.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/14/23 4:17 pm    ::: Re: Coaching Searches Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

I don’t think there’s any way Marquette can keep Duffy long term. I just wonder when she’ll leave and where she’ll end up.

I don't see Pitt as a step up from Marquette. If Duffy wants to move up, surely there will be better options this year or next.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/14/23 4:36 pm    ::: Re: Coaching Searches Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

They're paying Shaka Smart a ton and keeping him ( reportedly getting $3M/yr, among the top 25 in the country and way ahead of many big name and P5 schools). They could do the same with Duffy ( not $3M but could pay her top tier and WAY more than Pitt would ever pay). I'm not convinced it's a certainty she'd leave, certainly not for a bottom feeder or another stepping stone. If she's going to leave it should be for a final career destination. Certainly not for Pitt.

Although if she's driven to leave now, she could get a better job than Pitt. I'd love to see her in the ACC, but I think Pitt is a dead end for anyone. Mich St would likely be a better opportunity for example, unless they are going to continue to try to do it on the cheap as they were up until last Nov with Merchant. None of the current openings are truly deserving of her though.

GEF34

PostPosted: 03/14/23 5:11 pm    ::: Re: Coaching Searches Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

It's not uncommon, typically there is professional courtesy with ADs and head coaches if it's an assistant coach or associate head coach. Last year Mississippi State announced Sam Purcell as their head coach the day before Selection Sunday.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/14/23 7:11 pm    ::: Re: Coaching Searches Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
mzonefan wrote:

They're paying Shaka Smart a ton and keeping him ( reportedly getting $3M/yr, among the top 25 in the country and way ahead of many big name and P5 schools). They could do the same with Duffy ( not $3M but could pay her top tier and WAY more than Pitt would ever pay). I'm not convinced it's a certainty she'd leave, certainly not for a bottom feeder or another stepping stone. If she's going to leave it should be for a final career destination. Certainly not for Pitt.

Although if she's driven to leave now, she could get a better job than Pitt. I'd love to see her in the ACC, but I think Pitt is a dead end for anyone. Mich St would likely be a better opportunity for example, unless they are going to continue to try to do it on the cheap as they were up until last Nov with Merchant. None of the current openings are truly deserving of her though.

If MSU's AD is a smart man he'd go after Duffy hard core and pay her but I don't know if that will happen.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/14/23 7:33 pm    ::: Re: Coaching Searches Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:

If MSU's AD is a smart man he'd go after Duffy hard core and pay her but I don't know if that will happen.

Her's was the name that I thought of for MSU. She is known in Michigan from her time with KBA at UM.

I wondered if that's why the article said
Quote:
Another person that interviewed for the job was Marquette head coach Megan Duffy, but it’s not clear if she’ll talk with Lyke again.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/14/23 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pitt's had 5 winning conference seasons in the last 28...and 4 of them were in the Big East while Shavonte Zellous was there.

Just sayin...I really hope Duffy doesn't end up there.

PostPosted: 03/14/23 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Pitt's had 5 winning conference seasons in the last 28...and 4 of them were in the Big East while Shavonte Zellous was there.

Just sayin...I really hope Duffy doesn't end up there.

I thought at the time hiring a local hero in Suzie McConnell-Serio might be a win for Pitt, especially in recruiting, but she was a disaster too.

awhom111

PostPosted: 03/14/23 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming that list is accurate, I am pretty surprised by all of it. I was assuming that they would not go after an assistant again after Lance White, but they have kind of had a playbook for their recent program turnarounds. I was expecting a lot of names of experienced former head coaches who have had success of some kind, but would immediately off the list of many other high major schools. Like I genuinely would not have been surprised if Pokey Chatman or Joanne McCallie were under their consideration. I wonder if Jose Fernandez is somewhere on their wishlist.
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/14/23 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You have to admit, Pitt *does* fit Megan's preferred general color scheme Wink

PostPosted: 03/15/23 5:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah MSU would seem to make sense for Duffy especially with her time as an assistant coach at Michigan.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/15/23 6:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
You have to admit, Pitt *does* fit Megan's preferred general color scheme Wink

Don't forget, her connection to green goes way back. Wink

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
adamj95

PostPosted: 03/15/23 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m also hearing interest in Duffy for the Minnesota job.

PostPosted: 03/15/23 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently the players don't have a lot of faith in Pitt's hiring effort either. Reportedly four players have already entered the portal (I don't know how many on the roster have any remaining eligibility).

eibln

PostPosted: 03/16/23 4:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Could Joanne P McCallie be up for the MSU job now that it is open for the first time since she left? She would be a good fit still. She was a good coach, I’d like to see her back on the sidelines. If not MSU, could anyone else look at Joanne P.?

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/16/23 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
Could Joanne P McCallie be up for the MSU job now that it is open for the first time since she left? She would be a good fit still. She was a good coach, I’d like to see her back on the sidelines. If not MSU, could anyone else look at Joanne P.?

What makes you think she would still be a good coach? Given her performance at Duke, there should be some questions about her skills. Or maybe Duke wasn’t the right fit like Texas wasn’t the right fit for Goestenkors.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/16/23 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know why anyone would want Joanne P. now. She developed a real rep for throwing players under the bus, for one thing. And bullying.

PostPosted: 03/16/23 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard pass on McCallie, her police officer-biting husband and her truckload of baggage.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/16/23 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SB Nation covers Minnesota’s job listing and how possible candidates qualify. https://www.thedailygopher.com/2023/3/16/23642550/minnesota-womens-basketball-coaching-search-updates-gophers-big-ten-ncaa-tournament

Bachelor’s degree.
Six seasons of head coaching experience at a Division I Institution or 14 season of assistant or associate coaching experience at a Division I institution.
The listing states that the following is preferred:

Master’s degree
Autonomous 5 (P5) coaching experience
Demonstrated success working with and recruiting within the AAU system.

eibln

PostPosted: 03/16/23 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Robyn Fralick at BGSU should be near, if not the top of MSU’s list. She has built BGSU up and got 27 wins so far this season. Fralick is from Michigan and graduated from Okemos HS which is just down the road from MSU. She would be a really good solid coach for MSU, I have had the opportunity to meet her a few times. Definitely deserves a chance at the higher levels!

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/16/23 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
SB Nation covers Minnesota’s job listing and how possible candidates qualify. https://www.thedailygopher.com/2023/3/16/23642550/minnesota-womens-basketball-coaching-search-updates-gophers-big-ten-ncaa-tournament

Bachelor’s degree.
Six seasons of head coaching experience at a Division I Institution or 14 season of assistant or associate coaching experience at a Division I institution.
The listing states that the following is preferred:

Master’s degree
Autonomous 5 (P5) coaching experience
Demonstrated success working with and recruiting within the AAU system.

Is Minnesota likely to attract or be willing to pay for someone who actually meets all of those requirements? It seems to rule out hiring either most successful mid-major coaches and most highly regarded assistant coaches.

Even Duffy would barely make it, assuming she can count her four years of head coaching experience towards the 14 years as an assistant requirement. She only has 3 years at a P5. And I don't think she has a Masters. So I guess she would just make the cut, but not by much. And frankly I think she should be waiting for something better than the Minnesota job, assuming she's inclined to leave at all. Personally I think Marquette should be doing what they've done with Smart and cough up some money to compete and keep her. They'd be fools not to.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/16/23 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
I think Robyn Fralick at BGSU should be near, if not the top of MSU’s list. She has built BGSU up and got 27 wins so far this season. Fralick is from Michigan and graduated from Okemos HS which is just down the road from MSU. She would be a really good solid coach for MSU, I have had the opportunity to meet her a few times. Definitely deserves a chance at the higher levels!

I know you're saying Michigan St, but she seems like an example of a desirable qualified candidate who would not satisfy Minnesota's stated requirements. Doesn't have 6 years Div I HC experience, doesn't have 14 years as a Div I assistant (Ashland is Div II I believe so wouldn't count toward either). Also has no "preferred" P5 experience.

As a public university they probably need to put out a conventional public job description with "required" and "preferred" criteria, but writing one that rules out good candidates seems short sighted. If they waive a requirement I suspect they could get sued by a less desirable candidate who technically met the requirements but got turned down

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: