RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the way up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/06/23 8:34 pm    ::: Coaches on the way up Reply Reply with quote

This time of year there’s a lot of talk about coaches on the way up, so I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on the subject. I can think of three I’ve been impressed by over the past week:

Destinee Rogers, Arkansas State. Just an impressive young coach all around

Sytia Messer, UCF. She was one of Kim’s assistants at Baylor. I watched her team take apart higher seeded Tulsa today and was very impressed.

Kyla McMakin, St. Louis. This is the second team she’s taken dancing in about as many years (the other was Longwood), and neither one had been before. That’s a pretty serious accomplishment, IMO.

Your nominations?

PostPosted: 03/06/23 11:18 pm    ::: Re: Coaches on the way up Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
This time of year there’s a lot of talk about coaches on the way up, so I thought it might be interesting to start a thread on the subject. I can think of three I’ve been impressed by over the past week:

Sytia Messer, UCF. She was one of Kim’s assistants at Baylor. I watched her team take apart higher seeded Tulsa today and was very impressed.

Kyla McMakin, St. Louis. This is the second team she’s taken dancing in about as many years (the other was Longwood), and neither one had been before. That’s a pretty serious accomplishment, IMO.

Your nominations?

McMakin is a player. Rebecca Tillett is the coach.

Biased here, but Bridgette Mitchell has done well early at Northeastern.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/07/23 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Langley, Year 1 ('21-'22) at Washington: 7-16 overall (2-12 conf.)
Tina Langley, Year 2 ('22-'23) at Washington: 15-14 overall (7-11 conf.)

we're not back yet. but, we're comin'.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/08/23 3:25 pm    ::: Re: Coaches on the way up Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Your nominations?

McMakin is a player. Rebecca Tillett is the coach.

Biased here, but Bridgette Mitchell has done well early at Northeastern.

My bad on Tillett. Regardless, she’s good and on her way up.

Bridgette Mitchell at Northeastern and Ashley Langford at Stony Brook are both veterans of the James Madison staff and were hired away from there. I’d love to see them both get out of the miserable CAA.

PostPosted: 03/08/23 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's one that's probably low on everyone's radar screen: Mark Campbell. A Graves protege, he went on to lead the Sacramento State team to its first ever Big Sky title in only his 2nd year on the job. He's got awesome recruiting skills, too - he's the reason Sabrina Ionescu landed at Oregon.

PostPosted: 03/08/23 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lindy La Rocque @ UNLV!

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/08/23 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alex (Fuller) Simmons at Gardener Webb. She is a former Lady Vol of the Candace Parker era who will have opportunities on larger stages.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/08/23 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biased answer: Jacie Hoyt

She took a team of misfits and somehow turned them into a tournament team. IMO, she was robbed of Big 12 COTY(Only coach I would not have been upset with beating her would be Dawn P.).

PostPosted: 03/09/23 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd like to throw Austin Parkinson's name into this discussion. We all know what he did at IUPUI, but he took a Butler team that went 1-27 last year and 0-18 in conference, to an 11 win season, 6-14 in the Big East, a 9th place finish, and had a 4-game win streak at the end of the year.

I'll be curious to see what he does in the next 3-4 years. He has a shot to really do some nice things at Butler since Indiana(and Indy specifically) is full of HS talent.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/11/23 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here’s one I had never watched before but am impressed by—Ashleen Bracey at UIC. She’s in her first year there but took a team that had won two games the year before to an 18-15 season and the conference semifinals this year. She’s a veteran of Robin Pingeton’s staff at Mizzou.

PostPosted: 03/16/23 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Athletic has an article ($) about who’s the best X’s and O’s coach. https://theathletic.com/4297500/2023/03/15/womens-basketball-best-coach-poll/ This is part of a series of surveys/interviews with 30 major and mid-major unnamed coaches. Plugged in at the end is:

Who’s the next big-time coach?

RANK COACH TEAM VOTES
Lindy LaRocque
UNLV

Robyn Fralick
Bowling Green

Lisa Fortier
Gonzaga

Kristen Gillespie
Illinois State Redbirds

Tina Langley
Washington Huskies

Molly Miller
Grand Canyon

Also receiving votes: Trish Cullop, Toledo; Denise Dillon, Villanova; Megan Duffy, Marquette; Shauna Green, Illinois; Jan Jensen, Iowa (assistant); Carley Kuhns, Samford; Michaela Mabrey, Notre Dame (assistant); Joy McCorvey, Tennessee (assistant); Carrie Moore, Harvard; Tomekia Reed, Jackson State; Tami Reiss, Rhode Island; Alex Simmons, Gardner Webb; Tamika Williams-Jeter, Dayton

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: