RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the hot seat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/27/23 9:57 am    ::: Coaches on the hot seat Reply Reply with quote

Always sort of a morbid thread since no one enjoys seeing people lose their jobs, but it's the nature of the business. I just scanned the so-called BCS leagues and the Big East.

Kyra Elzy, Kentucky -- After losing Rhyne Howard, Kentucky is last in the SEC. Does she get another year?
Melanie Moore, Xavier -- Pending a loss at UConn tonight, Xavier will drop to 0-20 in the Big East, and Moore will be 8-60 in league play and 24-78 overall. By all accounts, a wonderful person but the results are dismal and more than a dozen players have transferred out over the past three seasons.
Raegan Pebley, TCU -- With two games left in the season, TCU has won a combined 13 games in the last two years. Horned Frogs have one Big 12 win this year.
Lindsay Whalen, Minnesota -- This is the risk you take when handing your coaching job to a legendary former player with no coaching experience. It hasn't worked.

Others? Does Joe McKeown get another year at Northwestern? This year was bad but they've been successful recently and he's been there for 15 years now (how time flies). What about Carolyn Kieger at Penn State?

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/27/23 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Joe is safe at Northwestern. But a Power 5(+1) coach you didn't mention is Lance White at Pittsburgh. His seat is definitely warm.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/27/23 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What about Carolyn Kieger at Penn State? They are still near the bottom of the conference in her 4th season there - not sure how much time they’ll give her. I was pulling for her after she left MU and thought she could do well at PSU.

Edited to add - I totally missed that Kieger was listed in the original post - oops 😀

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/27/23 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't realize White had been at Pittsburgh five seasons already. You're definitely correct.

Also wondering about Kieger. If Penn State does move on, maybe you won't have to worry about them taking another Marquette coach this time around!

StevenHW

PostPosted: 02/28/23 2:07 pm    ::: Re: Coaches on the hot seat Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Always sort of a morbid thread since no one enjoys seeing people lose their jobs, but it's the nature of the business. I just scanned the so-called BCS leagues and the Big East.

Kyra Elzy, Kentucky -- After losing Rhyne Howard, Kentucky is last in the SEC. Does she get another year?
Melanie Moore, Xavier -- Pending a loss at UConn tonight, Xavier will drop to 0-20 in the Big East, and Moore will be 8-60 in league play and 24-78 overall. By all accounts, a wonderful person but the results are dismal and more than a dozen players have transferred out over the past three seasons.
Raegan Pebley, TCU -- With two games left in the season, TCU has won a combined 13 games in the last two years. Horned Frogs have one Big 12 win this year.
Lindsay Whalen, Minnesota -- This is the risk you take when handing your coaching job to a legendary former player with no coaching experience. It hasn't worked.

Others? Does Joe McKeown get another year at Northwestern? This year was bad but they've been successful recently and he's been there for 15 years now (how time flies). What about Carolyn Kieger at Penn State?

Pebley just stepped down. As of this writing, I haven't seen anything official from TCU's own website just yet.

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2023/02/27/raegan-pebley-to-step-aside-as-tcu-womens-basketball-coach/

PostPosted: 02/28/23 7:28 pm    ::: Re: Coaches on the hot seat Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:

our resident Gopher fans have been ready to move on

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/28/23 11:10 pm    ::: Re: Coaches on the hot seat Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Watching Whalen set her legacy on fire has been fascinating... from a distance.

PostPosted: 03/01/23 1:32 am    ::: Re: Coaches on the hot seat Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Watching Whalen set her legacy on fire has been fascinating... from a distance.

There's nothing quite as good at destroying a great playing career legacy as being a terrible coach (or GM).

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/01/23 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tina Martin, UNCW (she was interim this year anyway after Barefoot was fired) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they're winless in the CAA this year. Again.

PostPosted: 03/01/23 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
What about Carolyn Kieger at Penn State? They are still near the bottom of the conference in her 4th season there - not sure how much time they’ll give her. I was pulling for her after she left MU and thought she could do well at PSU.

Edited to add - I totally missed that Kieger was listed in the original post - oops 😀

Kieger had her contract extended last year, but the terms were not disclosed.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 03/01/23 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe McKeown’s current contact extension ends in the 24/25 season. He’s 66.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/02/23 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whalen stepping down, FIRED!!!!

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 03/02/23 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

She’ll remain on contract as Special Assistant to the AD until 2025, when her contract expires.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/02/23 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Because they didn't want to pay her buyout. I'm sure she will be a great school ambassador.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/02/23 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:

If only there had been some clue this was a bad hire.

bucks4now

PostPosted: 03/03/23 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
bucks4now wrote:

If only there had been some clue this was a bad hire.

I would consider it a lazy hire. It shows how little they care about the program.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/03/23 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lance White is out at Pitt -https://twitter.com/raoul_000/status/1631706614519431181?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/05/23 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Elzy, with her decent showing in the SEC tournament, might conceivably have bought herself some time.

PostPosted: 03/05/23 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I think Elzy, with her decent showing in the SEC tournament, might conceivably have bought herself some time.

I agree. And I don’t think it’s unreasonable to give her another year. The timing of Mitchell’s departure and what the roster was aside from Rhyne Howard at the time made this a more difficult transition than it could have been.

No word out of Cincinnati about Mel Moore at Xavier, but I can’t imagine she’ll get a fifth year after going 0-21 against the Big East this year.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/06/23 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Melanie Moore is out at Xavier. I grew up watching this team regularly make the NCAA tournament and would love to be able to do that again.

https://goxavier.com/news/2023/3/6/womens-basketball-moore-tenure-wraps-up-for-xavier-womens-basketball.aspx

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/06/23 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know he isn't, but should Kelly Graves be on the hot seat? I know Oregon has had some injury issues the past few seasons, but the absurd amount of transfers and going from first to, well, not first, so fast-is a bit alarming.

In addition, Amanda Butler at Clemson has to be on a seat that's at least like warm.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/06/23 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
In addition, Amanda Butler at Clemson has to be on a seat that's at least like warm.

I came here to say this. Other at-least-warm seats include Joanna Bernabei McNamee and Kristy Curry. All 3 meet the criteria of a sub-.400 conference record in at least 5 seasons. I know that these are probably 3 of the harder schools to recruit to in the country, but Curry in particular has had 10 years and done jack shit with it; and I feel like her success at Purdue 20 YEARS AGO has bought her enough time. Including this year's 9-7 mark in the most mediocre SEC season in recent memory, she's only had 2 winning conference seasons in the last 17 years, and the first one was at Texas Tech in 2013. Sorry this is turning into a Kristy Curry rant but the more I think about it and look at her resume the more I am sure she deserves a hotter seat than I think she has.

JR Payne and Yolette McPhee McGuin also technically fit that criteria, but their recent relative success has probably bought them a few more years at least.

Elzy 's (just barely) still over the .400 mark in her 4th season, so I personally would be surprised if she's not safe for 1 more year. But it's gotta be a big turnaround or it's bye bye in 2024.

PostPosted: 03/06/23 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
ucbart wrote:

I came here to say this. Other at-least-warm seats include Joanna Bernabei McNamee and Kristy Curry. All 3 meet the criteria of a sub-.400 conference record in at least 5 seasons. I know that these are probably 3 of the harder schools to recruit to in the country, but Curry in particular has had 10 years and done jack shit with it; and I feel like her success at Purdue 20 YEARS AGO has bought her enough time. Including this year's 9-7 mark in the most mediocre SEC season in recent memory, she's only had 2 winning conference seasons in the last 17 years, and the first one was at Texas Tech in 2013. Sorry this is turning into a Kristy Curry rant but the more I think about it and look at her resume the more I am sure she deserves a hotter seat than I think she has.

JR Payne and Yolette McPhee McGuin also technically fit that criteria, but their recent relative success has probably bought them a few more years at least.

Elzy 's (just barely) still over the .400 mark in her 4th season, so I personally would be surprised if she's not safe for 1 more year. But it's gotta be a big turnaround or it's bye bye in 2024.

I've never been impressed with Curry. Didn't like her at Purdue. Didn't have to worry about her when she moved on.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Howee

PostPosted: 03/06/23 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I know he isn't, but should Kelly Graves be on the hot seat? I know Oregon has had some injury issues the past few seasons, but the absurd amount of transfers and going from first to, well, not first, so fast-is a bit alarming.

Nahh. Kelly is a players' coach: he's well-liked and respected in the community, and he'll have success again. Maybe not like he had with Sabrina, schlepping Stanford by 40 @ Maples, but he's got another dynamite class coming in. He's okay for a good while yet, imo. Cool

PostPosted: 03/07/23 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Nahh. Kelly is a players' coach: he's well-liked and respected in the community, and he'll have success again. Maybe not like he had with Sabrina, schlepping Stanford by 40 @ Maples, but he's got another dynamite class coming in. He's okay for a good while yet, imo. Cool

Good. I don't like to see people lose their jobs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: