RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Conference Realignment 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/10/23 3:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coming this spring:

—a new Pac media deal that was said to be coming last fall… and then earlier in the winter… and then sometime earlier in the month… ok maybe it’s not coming after all, oh darn
—so then: Colorado, Arizona, and ASU go to the Big 12 are the initial moves made, though not necessarily all at once
—Utah may go with them too? all four schools are still in talks, but Utah is the least serious of the four
—if not Utah, then either San Diego State or Fresno State for C*l*f*rn*a-related reasons
—if the Pac falls below seven members, it might dissolve as a conference right then & there? let’s do it for science
—Apple TV+ all but dropped out of Pac media deal negotiations, so it may just be an Amazon/ESPN joint deal left at this point, but the bigger games would be on Amazon & not ESPN – something no one wants
—what Big 12 Commissioner Brett Yormark wants is for the Big 12 to be the premiere [men’s] basketball conference and make the sport negotiable on its own in future media deals to get extra value added to the conference
—that’s why Gonzaga’s still in the mix to join eventually in basketball only
—as is St. John’s, Villanova, and UConn (Huskies' football program would stay independent)
—and i’m not sure but i think i can still hear Queenie cackling
—oh, uhh, i’m assuming “basketball-only members” would still include women’s basketball?? at that point it may as well, right?? but no one’s asking that question cuz sexism continues to be a helluva drug i soup-pose
—ok sorry back to the “coming this spring” shit
—a streaming service (likely Amazon, since the Pac’s media deal talks aren’t going many places these days) is rumored to be “ready” to partner with the Big Ten
—that’s where the money would come from to add in two west-coast schools such as Oregon & Washington at a discounted rate, so if you see that announced, that could be a [good] sign
—such additions wouldn’t happen until outgoing B1G Commish Kevin Warren is gone (April 17 is supposed to be The Day, mark your calendars!) and a new one is hired cuz literally everyone in the Big Ten hates Kevin Warren’s guts apparently lol but that’s none of my business!
—hey, isn’t mid-April when the [remaining] Pac Presidents will take a vote of no confidence with Pac Commish George Kliavkoff if he still can’t get a signable media deal on the table?
—anywho, ya still gotta find the votes within the B1G Presidents to let in new prospective members not named Notre Dame – what’s in it for the longtime but less trendy Big Ten schools?
—we’d probably see Oregon & Washington on Friday night Amazon games quite a bit, which is ironically something they’re trying to avoid in the Pac as mentioned above
—but again, the two PNW schools would sell their bodies to the slimiest of men to get into the Big Ten at this point
—Cal & Stanford aren’t getting a B1G invite as things stand now – they apparently just don’t add enough tv eyeballs & media value
—and Cal wants in, but no one knows if Stanford actually cares about literally any of this, other than maybe the academic prrrrrrestige of it all
—i wonder how Notre Dame would feel – or not feel at all – about the Big Ten continuing to add members that aren’t themselves, especially if it involves one of their bigger football rivals in Stanford?
—though again, does Stanford care? they are but one (1) tree
—oh, also, the Pac still owes Comcast $50M give or take some millions due to i think men in suits who thought they were smart but were – you guessed it – dumb? so that factors into these negotiations as well sadly lmfao just kill us
—otherwise, Oregon & Washington are riding the “unequal revenue sharing” wave in media deal discussions even as neither intends to stick around in the Pac for long even if they get what they ask for and sign their names to a short-term Pac deal – in the event the B1G ends up telling them “NO but call again in a few years teehee
—the treacherous two may be chasing away schools like Colorado, Arizona, and ASU on purpose precisely because those schools are against unequal revenue sharing in the conference the most
—the Pac will expand if it doesn’t entirely dissolve, seems like a fairly cold take
—as for the ACC, that whole thing is still gonna take some time to fully unfold, so imo you can forget about it until the internet powers that be force you to remember it one day
—shoot, i’d like to forget all about this someday
—so what’s really coming this spring: either my renewal of vows to my sanity, or my complete divorce from reality
—dealer’s choice!

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/10/23 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

what and I cannot stress this enough the fuck

PostPosted: 03/10/23 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

+100

PostPosted: 03/10/23 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Queenie wrote:

+100

+1000000000

Michael

PostPosted: 03/10/23 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Love it... BT may take two more teams, but UWash and Oregon would have to accept a partial share arrangement since they don't bring enough to offset a full share of the pie.

PostPosted: 03/11/23 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

and none of those rumors* included any of the recent petty details & dramas in the [even] lesser areas of twitter regarding people taking sides and questioning various reporters and accusing others of spreading falsehoods... it's 2016-2020 all over again

even i'm starting to get tired of it, and my team/school is in the middle of it all

pro tip: don't fall down any rabbit holes you know you can't easily climb out of

*they're only rumors until they come true!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/11/23 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
and none of those rumors* included any of the recent petty details & dramas in the [even] lesser areas of twitter regarding people taking sides and questioning various reporters and accusing others of spreading falsehoods... it's 2016-2020 all over again

even i'm starting to get tired of it, and my team/school is in the middle of it all

pro tip: don't fall down any rabbit holes you know you can't easily climb out of

*they're only rumors until they come true!

Times like this make me happy I’m now pretty much a fan of the mids, even though none of my teams will ever, ever win the big one. Might possibly win the NIT though—JMU made it to the semis not so very long ago!

JMU did, however, move from the CAA (ick) to the Sun Belt this year, and I wonder if some of those schools are a little sorry they let us in, since four of our teams have already won conference championships and a couple more seem likely to.😁

PostPosted: 03/12/23 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it’s just depressing that universities have so many athletic programs, almost all of which are featured in the Olympics… yet it’s the one non-Olympic sport that financially carries the entireties of these athletic departments, so they essentially get to create the rules and just set the tone in general for the rest of the sports to follow.

even if the Big Ten adds two more west-coast schools, that’d still just be 4/18. football plays the least amount of games in a season compared to virtually any other sports. student-athletes in football will pretty much feel no travel impact in comparison to all the rest of the student-athletes in all other sports who tend to play multiple times a week.

i really don’t get why football teams aren’t just participating in their own conferences completely separate from the other sports already. hell, put mbb and wbb with them if need be, since they’re the only other sports with revenue potential. let traditional regional conferences exist for the sake of the other sports who weren’t making money this whole time anyway. all involved in those sports did nothing bad or wrong to deserve this fate.

Michael

PostPosted: 03/12/23 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
it’s just depressing that universities have so many athletic programs, almost all of which are featured in the Olympics… yet it’s the one non-Olympic sport that financially carries the entireties of these athletic departments, so they essentially get to create the rules and just set the tone in general for the rest of the sports to follow.

even if the Big Ten adds two more west-coast schools, that’d still just be 4/18. football plays the least amount of games in a season compared to virtually any other sports. student-athletes in football will pretty much feel no travel impact in comparison to all the rest of the student-athletes in all other sports who tend to play multiple times a week.

i really don’t get why football teams aren’t just participating in their own conferences completely separate from the other sports already. hell, put mbb and wbb with them if need be, since they’re the only other sports with revenue potential. let traditional regional conferences exist for the sake of the other sports who weren’t making money this whole time anyway. all involved in those sports did nothing bad or wrong to deserve this fate.

Because in the 1980s when the CFA was being formed to do just that, Notre Dame stabbed the other 35 schools in the back at the 11th hour by pulling out of the deal and signing an exclusive TV deal with NBC. The rest of the networks backing the CFA proposal then backed out as without ND they did not see the value in it. You can trace most of what is wrong with college football today back to ND at some point. Before WW1 the ND football team played around 50 games a season and spent nearly the entire fall on their own train playing all over the east coast for money to fund the rest of the university.

PostPosted: 03/12/23 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

this is why I love being in a non-football conference

the football schools have more merch, though

PostPosted: 04/05/23 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
UConn (Huskies' football program would stay independent)

ok, so maybe the football team would join the Big 12 conference too lol. no promises, but the whole school has gained a bit of steam in the wake of UConn mbb re-introducing itself to the nation, and it already had a little before March Madness.

anyway, UConn wbb going to the Big 12 would maybe not be so big a move for them, considering they already recruit well nationally, and there’s no current big wbb power presiding over the conference. the Big 12 wbb could pose a similar challenge for UConn to the one the Big East has since UConn returned to it. it seems to me that there are good Big 12 teams, but not any elite ones at the moment, and maybe for the next couple seasons. still, UConn going to the Big 12, in the scope of all sports, would definitely be considered a step up.

one more thing: the Big 12 apparently should know between now & the end of May whether or not it’ll be successful in courting Pac schools. the Pac media deal negotiations haven’t been going any better these past several weeks. if anything… it’s getting harder to see how a deal could possibly get done, and it wasn’t super-duper easy to see a path forward in the winter months.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 06/01/23 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame, Arizona St, and Miami have all received AAU status. I don't think this is pure coincidence that the largest MST market, the 3rd largest southern market, and the biggest brand available all achieved the status necessary for B1G membership all at a time when realignment appears to be alive and well.

PostPosted: 08/02/23 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FSU looking to leave the ACC.

Quote:
"We of course are not satisfied with our current situation," McCullough said. "We love the ACC. We love our partners at ESPN. Our goal would be to continue to stay in the ACC but staying in the ACC under the current situation is hard for us to figure out how we remain competitive unless there was a major change in the revenue distribution within the conference in the ACC conference itself."

Any school planning to leave the ACC in the next year would have to notify the conference in writing by Aug. 15. Trustee Justin Roth, who said he doesn’t see things working with the ACC, said he could call for FSU to form an exit plan from the conference in the next 12 months.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2023/08/02/florida-state-acc-sec-big-ten-realignment/70516554007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/04/23 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon and Washington are Big Ten bound!!!

Quote:
The Big Ten confirmed Friday that Oregon and Washington will join the conference, bringing the membership of the league to 18 schools.

The departures from the Pac-12 will provide greater financial security for both schools and further the Big Ten's westward expansion. The Ducks and Huskies are joining for the 2024 football season at the same time as current Pac-12 bretheren Southern California and UCLA, who announced their departure last year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2023/08/04/big-ten-inviting-oregon-washington-pac-12-future/70530028007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Queenie

PostPosted: 08/04/23 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fuck conference realignment

double fuck college football

that is all.

PostPosted: 08/04/23 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm really going to miss the Pac-12. Also, I feel kind of bad for Wazzu.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/05/23 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bye, bye, Big5-Big6-Pac8-10-12 Conference. It was nice knowing you for 60 years of my life. Even though you weren't seen often in recent years in the East because of your geographically restricted and lousy TV/streaming deals. Which helped your demise.

Where will Stanford, Cal, OSU and WSU end up?
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/05/23 4:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The hits keep coming for the PAC??.

Quote:
Arizona, Arizona State and Utah are leaving the Pac-12 to become the newest members of the Big 12 and will join the conference in 2024, the Big 12 announced Friday night.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2023/08/04/arizona-arizona-state-utah-joining-big-12/70498400007/

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 08/05/23 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's a safe bet Tara V will peace out before this mess ensues after 2024

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/05/23 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless Stanford is secretly being recruited by the Big 10, Big 12 (such ridiculously meaningless numerical names) or SEC, they may end up in the BWC, MWC, WAC or WCC. These are all mid-majors where Stanford will make a lot less revenue sharing money than it did even in the Hiroshima-ed Pac12, but may never lose a game in WCBB.
pilight

PostPosted: 08/05/23 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They can stay independent in football and associate their other sports with any of those. If they want to stay in FBS and play in a conference, their options are pretty limited. The MWC makes the most geographic sense if the majors don't want them. They could take their football to the FCS.

PostPosted: 08/05/23 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is all just nuts. Completely nuts. Being a mid is not so bad after all. Realignments have been somewhat smaller.

PostPosted: 08/05/23 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting article by an Indy Star sports guy,

Quote:
None of this is a coincidence. None of it happened because schools want to be in 16- or 18-member leagues that require thousands of miles of travel.

But it is what the constant need for more television money has wrought, and that should terrify everyone about the long-term future of college sports.

Quote:
And given that there’s no major upside here for the other Big Ten schools to add two more good programs that make competition tougher and travel more difficult, it strains credulity to think they did it without the blessing and perhaps even a nudge from their TV partners.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2023/08/04/networks-espn-fox-trump-history-college-realignment-pac-12-big-ten/70530889007/

Michael

PostPosted: 08/05/23 8:10 pm    ::: The four remaining PAC schools Reply Reply with quote

are the first real casualties of conference realignment. The BT gains nothing at all form adding any of them as they now have all three states locked in for the BT Network deal. IF Washington and Oregon were only worth half shares, the remaining 4 would struggle to earn a tenth of a share of BT money. If the B12 does not take them in, they are going to be forced to either recruit 4 mid majors to try and prop up the PAC or they are going to have to step down a level.

It should be noted that the BT did not approach any of the PAC schools and has spent a year telling Oregon and Washington "sorry, not interested". IT was OU and UW that offered to take reduced shares to get in the BT that finally convinced the BT to accept them.

PostPosted: 08/05/23 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, but the P12 had no media deal at all. Half a B10 share is better than zero. That's why they were so vulnerable. With no media deal there was no exit fee.

Recruiting mid-majors to prop up the P12 will be difficult. All the football independents besides Notre Dame are on the east coast. The Mountain West teams have a $30M+ exit fee each. They can probably cobble together enough schools to keep it alive as a non-football conference but it's hard to see how it can be maintained as an FBS conference.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: