RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Real ID enforcement delayed again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/22 10:42 am    ::: Real ID enforcement delayed again Reply Reply with quote

https://abcnews.go.com/US/department-homeland-security-delays-real-id-deadline-2025/story?id=94484953

Quote:
The Department of Homeland Security has delayed the deadline for air travelers to have a REAL ID another two years, the agency announced Monday.

The program, which was to begin in May 2023, will now not go into effect until May 7, 2025.

PostPosted: 12/05/22 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why do I get the feeling that some employees at the Dept. of Homeland Security, don't really care about "homeland security"? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 12/05/22 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was originally set to start in late 2020 sometime, but that thing called COVID kept delaying it. I have a passport, so I'll never have a need to get this.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/05/22 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was passed in 2005 and given 10 years to implement. Each time it gets close to the deadline, it gets delayed by a year or two. Ridiculousness.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/05/22 8:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It was originally set to start in late 2020 sometime, but that thing called COVID kept delaying it. I have a passport, so I'll never have a need to get this.

Originaly set to start in 2015..endless delays.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 12/14/22 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting RealID was the biggest waste of my time way back when, given it has zero real world application. Where is it needed, just at airports? Who DOESN'T have Global Entry or Nexus at this point, honestly?

pilight

PostPosted: 12/14/22 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Who DOESN'T have Global Entry or Nexus at this point, honestly?

People who don't fly often. I don't have either one.

PostPosted: 12/14/22 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Who DOESN'T have Global Entry or Nexus at this point, honestly?

People who don't fly often. I don't have either one.

I don't even know what they are!!!!

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 12/14/22 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's the ID card that lets you skip TSA security at the airport, as well as U.S. Customs & Immigration when re-entering the country.

Even without one, even your passport is better than Real ID.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/16/22 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
It's the ID card that lets you skip TSA security at the airport, as well as U.S. Customs & Immigration when re-entering the country.

NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING allows you to skip TSA security. I repeat NOTHING.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 12/18/22 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. The TSA security line where you have to take off your shoes, belt, etc, the body scanner, taking out your electronics... you know, THAT line? The one you wait in while watching others walk past you? Those people you see skipping the line have that card I'm talking about.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/19/22 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. The TSA security line where you have to take off your shoes, belt, etc, the body scanner, taking out your electronics... you know, THAT line? The one you wait in while watching others walk past you? Those people you see skipping the line have that card I'm talking about.

Those people are pre check and still are going through the security line. They still have to put their bags through the x-ray machine. They still have to go through the walk-through metal detector. If they alarm that machine, they will either go through the body scanner or get patted down. No one is skipping anything.

I worked for TSA for 10.5 years ending this May when I moved to another agency. Thus, by definition, I know more than you or anyone else on here.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 12/20/22 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Those people are pre check and still are going through the security line. They still have to put their bags through the x-ray machine. They still have to go through the walk-through metal detector. If they alarm that machine, they will either go through the body scanner or get patted down. No one is skipping anything.

I worked for TSA for 10.5 years ending this May when I moved to another agency. Thus, by definition, I know more than you or anyone else on here.

Congratulations on being a TSA employee and everything, but don't pretend they are one and the same just for argument's sake. Placing my bag (with the laptop still in it) through a conveyor belt and walking through a metal detector (with my shoes still ON) doesn't even come close to waiting 30-90 minutes in the TSA security line with the full body search and all of the other inconveniences that come with it. We've all been to the airport and know the difference between the two lines.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 12/20/22 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Congratulations on being a TSA employee and everything, but don't pretend they are one and the same just for argument's sake. Placing my bag (with the laptop still in it) through a conveyor belt and walking through a metal detector (with my shoes still ON) doesn't even come close to waiting 30-90 minutes in the TSA security line with the full body search and all of the other inconveniences that come with it. We've all been to the airport and know the difference between the two lines.

Congrats on being arrogantly wrong. They are both TSA Security Lines. The fancy line that you go through is for people with pre-check clearance as they are known travelers who travel often and are deemed lower risk by a government agency. Yes, you do get to keep shoes and belts on with laptops staying in bags, but you also still go through TSA security screening. Just because you go through the faster line doesn't mean that it's not TSA Security. Just saying.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 12/20/22 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Congrats on being arrogantly wrong. They are both TSA Security Lines. The fancy line that you go through is for people with pre-check clearance as they are known travelers who travel often and are deemed lower risk by a government agency. Yes, you do get to keep shoes and belts on with laptops staying in bags, but you also still go through TSA security screening. Just because you go through the faster line doesn't mean that it's not TSA Security. Just saying.

Arrogantly wrong about what? I never said it wasn't a security line. I know what the "fancy" line is because I pay $100 per person to be there. To SKIP TSA "security." When I say, "skip TSA security" 99% of people know exactly what I'm talking about. I think you do too.

I get it, it's cooler just to argue.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/20/22 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I haven't flown since spring of 2004. I have no clue about security lines.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
DivaORcat16

PostPosted: 12/20/22 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've NEVER flown.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 12/21/22 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

They had security lines in 2004.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/22/22 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Arrogantly wrong about what? I never said it wasn't a security line. I know what the "fancy" line is because I pay $100 per person to be there. To SKIP TSA "security." When I say, "skip TSA security" 99% of people know exactly what I'm talking about. I think you do too.

"It's the ID card that lets you skip TSA security at the airport" This means you're saying they don't go through a security line. When you say you can skip security that's what you mean. You're wrong, but you can't admit it. By the way, Pre-check is not 100 bucks...it's 5 cents a day---or $85 for 5 years. LOL

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/22/22 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I don't remember taking my shoes off or anything else beyond maybe putting my carryon through the scanner. Certainly nothing memorable.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/23/22 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

I don't remember taking my shoes off or anything else beyond maybe putting my carryon through the scanner. Certainly nothing memorable.

Because TSA didn't start requiring passengers to remove shoes until 2006

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/23/22 6:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ah, makes sense. And makes me feel that my memory isn't as bad as I sometimes think it might be. Very Happy

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 12/23/22 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

"It's the ID card that lets you skip TSA security at the airport" This means you're saying they don't go through a security line. When you say you can skip security that's what you mean. You're wrong, but you can't admit it. By the way, Pre-check is not 100 bucks...it's 5 cents a day---or $85 for 5 years. LOL

Yet I'm still right because my GE card lets me skip TSA security.

By the way, you are WRONG. It's $100 for GE, not $85. $85 only gives you precheck without any of the added benefits of GE (or NEXUS which is only $50), which is why almost no one buys that. I thought you were the expert and already knew this.

But evidently you DIDN'T know that, and you just finished telling me that you were THE expert whose knowledge as a TSA employee is never to be questioned. Yet you don't even know the difference between GE and precheck. You should, because precheck doesn't even give you an ID card which means YOU WOULD STILL NEED TO USE REALID AT THE AIRPORT. All for a savings of $3 a year LOL

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/24/22 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Coyotes wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:
Hawkeye wrote:
Stonington_QB wrote:

Yet I'm still right because my GE card lets me skip TSA security.

By the way, you are WRONG. It's $100 for GE, not $85. $85 only gives you precheck without any of the added benefits of GE (or NEXUS which is only $50), which is why almost no one buys that. I thought you were the expert and already knew this.

But evidently you DIDN'T know that, and you just finished telling me that you were THE expert whose knowledge as a TSA employee is never to be questioned. Yet you don't even know the difference between GE and precheck. You should, because precheck doesn't even give you an ID card which means YOU WOULD STILL NEED TO USE REALID AT THE AIRPORT. All for a savings of $3 a year LOL

No you don't get to skip security---you still go through it. So you overpaid for global entry when you could have paid for pre check which IS 85 for 5 years. You don't always get pre check with global entry. I know the difference but you hid what you had. Nice try to deflect from your erroneous notion that you can skip security---that doesn't happen. Right now you don't need a REALID as the requirements are delayed again. You tried and failed. Go sit down now.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 12/24/22 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Facts remain. PreCheck, Global Entry (which only really helps you with customs) and Nexus doesn't allow you to skip security. It gets you through the waiting line to get to security faster but if you still have to go through the checkpoint so NO, you aren't skipping security. Just stop with the nonsense. TSA Officers can't stand you folks who think you know everything, but you don't know much at all. I had many passengers come up to the boarding pass check station in the pre check line without pre check on the boarding pass. They then show their global entry card and say they are pre check. WRONG BUCKO!

"But I'm Global Entry" they cry. "I was told I get precheck with it!"

Nope, you weren't told that by anyone from TSA...GE and NEXUS are not TSA programs they belong to the airport or airlines and they don't know all the procedures and dump it on TSA to correct misinformed passengers. Bottom line, if you're flying out you will NEVER be allowed to skip security.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: