RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Connecticut vs #9 Iowa - 11/27/22
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/27/22 10:58 am    ::: #3 Connecticut vs #9 Iowa - 11/27/22 Reply Reply with quote

Phil Knight Legacy
Portland, OR - 1:00 PM ET

TV: ABC (Eric Frede, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/962b7716-5732-4800-a797-c7bbd834fd38#bucketId=1 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://youtu.be/gZr0VnQmTk0

Live stats:
https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=espn

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 11/27/22 1:12 pm    ::: Re: #3 Connecticut vs #9 Iowa - 11/27/22 Reply Reply with quote

Anyone (particularly, in GA) actually able to watch this game?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/27/22 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's on ABC TV but didn't show up on ESPN3 for me until late in the 1Q.
PRballer

PostPosted: 11/27/22 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Understand the ABC window drives the timing for broadcast purposes, but questioning why the tournament organizers have a situation where Oregon is playing at the same time, at 10am local time, in another venue. Seems like it could have been arranged/scheduled and spaced a bit better to maximize in-arena attendance for these games…

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/27/22 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark early giving a lesson on how to be the most devastating self-creating shooter/passer in the nation. Can she be stopped?
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/27/22 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Clark early giving a lesson on how to be the most devastating self-creating shooter/passer in the nation. Can she be stopped?

GO CAITLIN! GO HAWKEYES!!!!! Up 32-26 late in Q2.

Senechal got into early foul trouble, forcing Geno to put in players he does not trust as much. Iowa's Kate Martin lighting it up! Iowa now up 41-35 at the half. Ducharme with a late, deep three to tighten the gap.

~rAf
WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 11/27/22 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
It's on ABC TV but didn't show up on ESPN3 for me until late in the 1Q.

Same! It was supposed to be on ABC and then I saw it was switched to ESPN3 but wasn't initially accessible. It truly is unfortunate how poorly the broadcasters and organizers have done for some of these tournament games.

Gracious did this guy just call South Carolina, UCLA?!!

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/27/22 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa dominates 2Q and leads at 1H. Iowa's guards are completely out-playing the three UConn guards. Fudd too short to self-create shots as Clark can.

Muhl above average on defense and a very good passer in transition, but the whole offense slows down in the half court against tough defense in part because Muhl presents no outside shooting threat and the defense can concentrate on Fudd/Senechal. Husky shooters have to improve to change this.

UConn's core defense is not effective so far against Iowa's speed, creativity and outside shooting.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/27/22 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The key is usually to withstand UConn's typical charge coming out of halftime.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/27/22 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn getting killed by 8 more threes made by Iowa. Part of this has to be just hot hand statistical luck.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/27/22 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lobo has completely abandoned any semblance of objectivity or impartiality in the second half of this game.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 11/27/22 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nice game for Caroline to break out of.

It’s difficult to play both Muhl and Aubrey against a Zone, but Caroline changes the makeup of the lineup and became a zone buster.

Iowa is an excellent team, who I very much expect to be in the final four. Imo, easily the best team UConn has played so far this year.

Muhl’s defense on Clark was very disciplined. I almost wanted her to give Clark a good bump. She did a great job though. And UConn played excellent team defense on her. We do need Nika to be willing to take the open three. She’s better than she was, but she needs to shoot it. Her percentage really isn’t bad - it’s just that she doesn’t take them.

I don’t think anyone can stop Azzi for a whole game besides Azzi. I think as UConn fans expect an offensive explosion at some point during the game. That being said, I think Caitlyn is the better overall player right now. And I expect Boston will still be POY.

Finally - it’s great to see Aaliyah growing. This is the player I thought she’d be her freshman season. Easily POG today. She’s been fantastic this year and this has been her best game so far.

Last edited by mercfan3 on 11/27/22 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/27/22 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not much defense but an exciting, fast-paced game. UConn dominated all stats except for 3pt shots made.

Interesting that Geno played rusty Ducharme the entire 4th quarter instead of Griffin. This was obviously a gamble to get more outside and inside shooting touch into the game, and a gamble that worked.

I give POG awards to Aaliyah Edwards for UConn and untouted Kate Martin for Iowa.
linkster

PostPosted: 11/27/22 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A tale of two halves.

After a spotty 1st half, Fudd, reportedly too short to create her own shot, magically scores 21 pts in the 2nd half (9-11, 4-5)

UConn shoots 68% in the 2nd half (70% from 3).

After scoring 17 in the 1st half Clark was 2-11 in the 2nd half

With all the attention on the guards Edwards, my MVP today, had 20pts, 13rebounds 6 assists and was UConn's best offensive weapon in the 1st half. Edwards was also responsible for holding Czinano to 8pts on 3-7 shooting.

UConn now 3-0 against top 10 opponents.

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/27/22 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Key coaching adjustment by Geno was recognizing that Aubrey is no good against a zone and he went with Carol, who is just a crafty player. Her and Azzi were just great in the second half.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/27/22 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was actually a game of one quarter, Iowa dominating the second but UConn winning the other three.

I agree Iowa is the best team UConn has faced this year.

UConn actually did a very good job disrupting the Clark-Czinano scoring and assisting, pocket passing, pick & rolling machine. That was counterbalanced somewhat by Martin having what must be a near career game. But you can't guard everyone.

Azzi seemed to get herself going in the second half by shaking off defenders for to get quick two-point pull-up jumpers. Once UConn got the Iowa defense scrambling, Azzi could get free more easily behind screens.

I thought everyone on both teams played well to very well. Both teams probably wished they would have turned it over less, but that wasn't really a huge issue for either team by usual norms. Not much fouling by either team and relatively few whistles, but Iowa ended up with a significant advantage in FTMs as well as 3PTMs.
RavenDog

PostPosted: 11/27/22 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You get every opponents best game and sometimes then some when you're Stanford, South Carolina or UConn. Iowa came to play!

Good learning experience for both teams going into the their league seasons.

Enjoyed it! Very Happy

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/27/22 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a showcase for a National TV game. I don't think either of these teams will beat South Carolina or Stanford, but they certainly play prettier basketball than both.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/27/22 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Fudd, reportedly too short to create her own shot

To be contextually accurate, Fudd was reported to be too short to self-create shots "as Clark can", which is a comparison of Fudd to one player in WCBB.
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/27/22 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
linkster wrote:
Fudd, reportedly too short to create her own shot

To be contextually accurate, Fudd was reported to be too short to self-create shots "as Clark can", which is a comparison of Fudd to one player in WCBB.

Why would anyone think she is "too short"?

She's 5'11" - same height as Sabrina Ionescue, Asia Durr or Jewell Lloyd, and taller than Arike Ogunbowale, Kelsey Mitchell, Kelsey Plum, Ariel Atkins, Skylar Diggins-Smith, etc., and certainly none of them are " too short to create her own shot".

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/27/22 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Understand the ABC window drives the timing for broadcast purposes, but questioning why the tournament organizers have a situation where Oregon is playing at the same time, at 10am local time, in another venue. Seems like it could have been arranged/scheduled and spaced a bit better to maximize in-arena attendance for these games…

BTW, it wasn't ABC's fault; blame Nike.

In typical Phil Knight self-adulation style, and to pander to and promote a bunch of Nike shoe and uniform schools, Nike held four simultaneous tournaments this weekend: eight team Phil Knight Legacy and Phil Knight Invitational tournaments for men, and four team Phil Knight Legacy and Phil Knight Invitational tournaments for women. So Disney didn't have much choice but to televise overlapping games. And they had to squeeze in their own Disney World based ESPN Events International Tournament games too. There aren't enough hours in a day to avoid scheduling conflicts. And they used several arenas around Portland.

But wasn't it worth it to spend four days watching that big black and orange PK logo on the court and those black jackets with the big black and orange PK logo worn by coaches and staffs?

Actually, the Nike clout was enough to get good teams to face each other early in the season and there were good games, women and men. But the over the top self-promotion is a bit much. And of course Disney has to regularly show the grinning Phil Knight in the stands admiring his empire.

Speaking of good games, as I write this I'm watching the men’s PKI where UNC and Alabama are in their FOURTH overtime. In an hour, UNC and Iowa State face each other for the women’s PKI championship on ESPN2.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/27/22 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Very entertaining game, with all the momentum swings in scoring. Iowa St. had a decent stat line (....got hammered on rebounds) but UConn's was spectacular. 30 assists?? Shocked Czinano, as good as she is, cannot take on an entire legion of Bigger Gals single-handedly.

Hope we get to see a rematch before the season's over. Cool

PostPosted: 11/28/22 1:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Czinano, as good as she is, cannot take on an entire legion of Bigger Gals single-handedly.

A bit puzzled by this comment, Howee.

Czinano is 6-3. For UConn, Edwards is 6-3 and there is no taller player in the rotation to back her up. 6-5 Juhasz is injured and 6-5 DeBerry only gets garbage time in blowouts. The rest of the six UConn players who played in today's game ranged from 5-10 to 6-2, just about the same as Iowa.
ucbart

PostPosted: 11/28/22 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Lobo has completely abandoned any semblance of objectivity or impartiality in the second half of this game.

So, I don't see Rebecca that way, because in the first half, when Iowa went on their run, I though both her and Eric, both of whom have UCONN connections, were very Iowa focused.

What I want to ask, is if you have a comment on the blatant giddiness Carter and Peck had at halftime over Iowa and Clark's play? I get denied constantly about this, but the studio coverage and personalities at ESPN have a clear anti-UCONN bias. I bet they were almost mad at how that game turned out.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/28/22 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Howee wrote:
Czinano, as good as she is, cannot take on an entire legion of Bigger Gals single-handedly.

A bit puzzled by this comment, Howee.
Czinano is 6-3. For UConn, Edwards is 6-3 and there is no taller player in the rotation to back her up. 6-5 Juhasz is injured and 6-5 DeBerry only gets garbage time in blowouts. The rest of the six UConn players who played in today's game ranged from 5-10 to 6-2, just about the same as Iowa.

Poorly worded: "Bigger Gals" should have said "Post Players", collectively speaking.

It's just about impressions: Monika *seemed* so smothered and alone in the low post on offense and defense. In watching the UConn post players - especially Edwards - it felt like they were playing bigger than any actual height.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: