RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Youth Sports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 11/14/22 9:01 pm    ::: Youth Sports Reply Reply with quote

Apologies in advance if this isn't the place to post this topic and if it's too long.

My daughters played basketball in a small town before AAU was a 'thing'. My grandsons, 12 and 8, live in a metropolitan area. They have played soccer, tennis, basketball, and coach pitch baseball. Their only experience with 'select' teams were a couple of years with soccer and basketball. They didn't enjoy the select soccer program after a couple of years. The coach began to home-school his own kids so they could 'practice soccer more'. The coach on the select basketball team did a good job the first year - taught them a lot. The second year he began arguing with officials and other coaches and was thrown out of games. They have switched to rec league teams and enjoy it much more and play with kids they go to school with every day.

Recently, they had tryouts for the 7th grade basketball team. The older grandson has decided to stick with tennis unless he has a huge growth spurt. People whose kids tried out said the kids who had good basketball skills but were average height for 7th graders didn't make the team, but kids who were tall and had no basketball skills, did. I asked that parent about fundamentals and he said that if they want to learn fundamentals, they have to hire a private coach. This is an area where a lot of parents probably can afford this, but what about the kids whose parents can't?

The daughter of a man that I know played on select basketball teams growing up and was a very good high school player but the only scholarship offers she got were for D3 schools she wasn't interested in. As he put it, "I paid for college twice!" He spent as much for her to be on select teams as it cost to send her to college.

How many of the players we watch on our favorite college teams come from families who can afford private coaches and can afford to pay for them to be on elite AAU teams?

All in all, I'm glad my daughters grew up when they did. I also understand why the small school teams we watched while they were growing up were much more sound fundamentally than the players from the 6A schools.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: