RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#1 South Carolina @ #2 Stanford - 11/20/22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 11/19/22 9:47 pm    ::: #1 South Carolina @ #2 Stanford - 11/20/22 Reply Reply with quote

Stanford, CA - 3:00 PM ET
TV: ABC (Eric Frede, Rebecca Lobo)

Video stream:
http://abc.go.com/watch-live (tvpli)
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/0d653b03-f613-4a62-9c0c-41276de76f1d#bucketId=1 (tvpli)

Audio:
https://gostanford.com/showcase?Live=1491

Live stats:
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=433301

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 11/20/22 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a great match-up this is going to be in Maples. Looks like it'll be a full house.

I'm going with the Card at home, 70-61

Howee

PostPosted: 11/20/22 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
What a great match-up this is going to be in Maples. Looks like it'll be a full house.

I'm going with the Card at home, 70-61

Haha....I've been thinking all morning, "Stanford by 7" (watch it be 8, and neither you nor me are 'correct') Anybody's game, but....Maples is a tough road win.

PostPosted: 11/20/22 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow. Stanford up 12 and Boston is on the bench with 2 fouls, and it's still the 1st quarter.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 11/20/22 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford's really good when Brink is on the floor. Too bad we couldn't capitalize, lead is now down to just 4

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/20/22 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford leads 35-31 at the half. Boston and Saxton picked up 2 fouls each, and Cooke went scoreless in the 1st half in 12 minutes of action. The Gamecock bench came in and kept the Gamecocks in the game - they've out-scored the Cardinal bench 22 to 4, with Amihere leading the team with 5 pts....

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 11/20/22 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford has no offense sets working in this 4th quarter.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/20/22 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Stanford has no offense sets working in this 4th quarter.

South Carolina does that to opponents

Saxton is still my favorite Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/20/22 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Game tied 61-61 on a last-second jumper by Boston. We go to overtime......

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/20/22 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Man, Stanford has choked away two very big leads in the last two regular season games against South Carolina

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/20/22 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a comedy of errors. The top two teams?????

Missed free throws, turnover, 5 second call, technical for non-existent timeout......

Anything else inept someone would like to do before the game ends?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 11/20/22 5:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Gamecocks won. It was not a pretty win though. They need to work on their jump shooting and their free throws.

PostPosted: 11/20/22 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too bad, Card. In control for three quarters, but collapsed in the face of great defense by Cocks in the fourth quarter and OT.

No need for the 1-2 rankings to change from this close call.
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/20/22 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina wins a crazy overtime game at Stanford 76-71. Shame it came down to a 5-second inbounds violation, and then an excessive timeout called - both for Stanford. Those killed any chances they had to win the game or force a 2nd overtime.

These teams were essentially #1-A and #1-B, with how tightly contested the game was. I thought Zia Cooke was going to choke this game, as she scored 0 pts in the 1st half. She rebounded to score 13 pts in the 2nd half + OT, with two huge clutch free throws in OT that pushed USC to a 4-pt lead....

pilight

PostPosted: 11/20/22 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I certainly didn't expect Stanford to pull a Webber

PostPosted: 11/20/22 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I certainly didn't expect Stanford to pull a Webber

That's a low bow, pilight.😂🤣

PostPosted: 11/20/22 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, with the game on the line in the last few possessions, SCar made an effort to lose with a bad turnover and multiple missed free throws. But at least those are basketball errors and part of a typical game. That stuff happens.

But these are supposed to be really smart people at Stanford and they shoot themselves in the foot with a five second call AND not knowing they were out of time outs? Those aren't basketball errors; that's just undisciplined, unaware, and absurd. Where are the coaches when this is happening?

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/20/22 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford had a solid plan against the Gamecock starters: collapse on Boston, and force perimeter guards to step up. As a result Boston got into foul trouble, and Cooke was a no-show in the 1st half, which was when Stanford made their hay.

Cooke scored all 13 of her pts after halftime, plus some clutch FTs in OT to seal the win. Boston scored 12 of her 14 pts and 10 of her 13 rebounds after halftime. The Gamecock bench out-scored Stanford's bench 34-9. USC out-scored Stanford 45-36 after halftime....

In the 1st half, Stanford shot 54%, to South Carolina's 34%. It was a very efficient half of offense for the Cardinal, and they had the Gamecocks scrambling to catch-up the whole time.

After halftime, South Carolina held Stanford to 12-38 (31.6%) shooting, while shooting 16-38 (42.1%) themselves. They held Haley Jones to 1-13 shooting after halftime, with only 3 pts....

Overall, South Carolina forced Stanford into 22 turnovers, compared to just 11 from the Gamecocks. They out-scored Stanford on points off of turnovers 18 to 9. In last season's win over Stanford, the Gamecocks forced them into 20 TOs to just 7 for themselves, and out-scored Stanford 26-6 off of TOs....

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 11/20/22 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford played pretty good for 3 quarters, but that won’t get it done against SC.

Long distance shooting is not the cock’s greatest strength, but the two Brea’s came up with huge 3’s. After a few last second misses in some big games, it was nice to see Boston finally knock one down.

For a large portion of the game Brink was the best player on the floor. She remains a foul machine though that last call was an iffy me imo.

Lepolo is truly a diamond in the rough find for Tara. She’s only going to get better and it will allow Jones to play her more natural role.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/20/22 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aliyah Boston was the difference. Brink and Prechtel together held her in check. When Brink got into foul trouble, then fouled out, Prechtel could not handle Boston by herself so Boston could rebound and score at will, making the game tying bucket at the buzzer, then grabbing rebounds in overtime.

Brink had a fantastic game, but her team could not score or stop Boston after she fouled out.

~rAf
Howee

PostPosted: 11/20/22 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeaah. Maybe my perceptions are failing me but....this was NOT the primo showcase of #1 v. #2 wcbb I was hoping for. Shocked

There were certainly some brilliant moments, i.e., Brink's performance, SC's defense (most of the time), etc., but....there was just not the CONSISTENT level of *amazingness* one expects from a 1/2 matchup. Yet....somebody's gotta fill the slots, and they're the 2 most likely. Razz

I wish Betts had played more. And Lepolo is good, but her passing game needs to improve, imo. And it will....she's young. Boston? Yeah, she's good. Very good. But if Stanford can get her this 'off' her form, the pros are gonna eat her up.

I'm surprised there's no kvetching here 'bout the refs. Not any particular favoritism for either team, but.....there were some really shitty calls at crucial times, primarily on fouls. That first charge assessed to Boston....(Lobo sees an "elbow"?.....she *sees* a lotta things, haha), but the defender Prechtel was totally inside the rim circle. NOT good calls, and then....they let others slide. Not a great look for those professionals.

My most disappointing impression had nothing to do with the players, but with Dawn....her impression of "The Angry Bitch" rivals Mulkey in the Bad Comportment category. She stomps around like a petulant child, and it appears some of that is rubbing off on her girls. Yeah, she's a good coach, but ..... The Best Coaches don't need that to win.

PostPosted: 11/20/22 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also kudos to Dawn and Tara for wearing shirts in support of BG, particularly when the game is on national tv. The design was pretty great, which I believe I heard can be attributed to Jayne Appel!

ucbart

PostPosted: 11/21/22 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

My most disappointing impression had nothing to do with the players, but with Dawn....her impression of "The Angry Bitch" rivals Mulkey in the Bad Comportment category. She stomps around like a petulant child, and it appears some of that is rubbing off on her girls. Yeah, she's a good coach, but ..... The Best Coaches don't need that to win.

And the grandstanding after the game by addressing the crowd? Dawn is an opportunist and I find none of her antics, tweets, actions, and interviews all that genuine. Sure, she wants to grow the game, but Dawn never would've addressed that crowd after a loss.

If I was a Stanford fan I would've told her to shove it and get off their court. That was showboating and arrogance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: