RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big East 22-23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 12/28/22 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Butler for getting its first Big East win in 667 days. The Bulldogs went to Cincinnati and jumped out to a 12-point lead against Xavier and coasted from there, winning 79-65.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/04/23 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How the heck does Creighton go to DePaul and win there and then lose at home to Providence??? Yes DePaul isn't as good this year as in the past but they are still better than Providence. I'm very surprised Creighton lost to Providence at home.

With that loss and St. John's getting blown out at St. John's, I think the BE is down to only UCONN as a ranked team next week.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/04/23 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

point of order: St. John's got blown out at Seton Hall

citation: it me, I was there

(now with spelling variations)
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 01/06/23 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Over on the Xavier message board, the men's posters are finally starting to mention/post about how poorly the women's program is doing. I guess that is better than the status quo, which is ignoring them entirely.

Not quite sure what happened, Xavier opened with a decent nonconference showing in November/early December (against a weak schedule, but it still seemed like an improvement) and then played Creighton really tight at home. But now things have regressed to the point where they're back to being completely noncompetitive. They've already been blown out by Butler and Georgetown and I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think they'll go 0-20 in conference play.

I feel bad for Mel Moore because she seems really upbeat and positive, but when you're in year 4 and you're talking about the positives of only being outscored by an undermanned UConn team by 5 in the second half (while not mentioning that's largely because you were down 31 at halftime) and repeating over and over again that your team is young and inexperienced when that's sort of on you as a coach after four years, it seems like this might be her last year.

I know Xavier has been completely noncompetitive in the Big East, but there really was a 10-15 year stretch where this was a top 40 program nationally. It's sad to see them be completely noncompetitive.

In more interesting Big East discussion, it will be fascinating to see how many teams end up making the tournament. I feel like the middle of the conference has really improved over the past couple of years, with only GU, BU and Xavier really at the bottom. And Butler has at least hired a coach with some success as a head coach at another school, so they could move up some. It kills the league to have teams below 150 in the NET/RPI rankings.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/06/23 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
point of order: St. John's got blown out at Seton Hall

citation: it me, I was there

Oops - totally meant to type Seton Hall there - my bad

Coyotes

PostPosted: 01/06/23 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Xavier deserved to get at least one Final Four between that 2001 squad and the 2010 squad. Purdue's win and Jeanette Pohlen's 4.4 seconds lives on in history. It's been curious to see the decline of Western Kentucky, Xavier, and others in the area.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/06/23 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Over on the Xavier message board, the men's posters are finally starting to mention/post about how poorly the women's program is doing. I guess that is better than the status quo, which is ignoring them entirely.

Not quite sure what happened, Xavier opened with a decent nonconference showing in November/early December (against a weak schedule, but it still seemed like an improvement) and then played Creighton really tight at home. But now things have regressed to the point where they're back to being completely noncompetitive. They've already been blown out by Butler and Georgetown and I don't think it's at all unreasonable to think they'll go 0-20 in conference play.

I feel bad for Mel Moore because she seems really upbeat and positive, but when you're in year 4 and you're talking about the positives of only being outscored by an undermanned UConn team by 5 in the second half (while not mentioning that's largely because you were down 31 at halftime) and repeating over and over again that your team is young and inexperienced when that's sort of on you as a coach after four years, it seems like this might be her last year.

I know Xavier has been completely noncompetitive in the Big East, but there really was a 10-15 year stretch where this was a top 40 program nationally. It's sad to see them be completely noncompetitive.

In more interesting Big East discussion, it will be fascinating to see how many teams end up making the tournament. I feel like the middle of the conference has really improved over the past couple of years, with only GU, BU and Xavier really at the bottom. And Butler has at least hired a coach with some success as a head coach at another school, so they could move up some. It kills the league to have teams below 150 in the NET/RPI rankings.

I thought the Melanie Moore hire was a good one and hoped Xavier was on the right track. But they still do seem to be struggling quite a bit now.

I have no idea how many BE teams will make the tournament. So far so many teams have been up and down. And the only team that's likely to be ranked after this week is UCONN who is battling major injury issues.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/22/23 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DePaul just lost at Georgetown this week - I knew they were down this year but certainly didn't expect that. They sure have fallen fast this season.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 01/22/23 9:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
DePaul just lost at Georgetown this week - I knew they were down this year but certainly didn't expect that. They sure have fallen fast this season.

That and Providence's win at Creighton a couple weeks ago are real head-scratchers.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/15/23 1:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sooooo Maddy Siegrist scored an NCAA season-high 50 points a few days ago and there was no game thread for it or even an "other games" thread i could find to be able to mention it in – nor has it even been mentioned on the Mock Draft thread* in the W forum – so i guess we're just not gonna talk about it? Razz

but tbh the main reason i bring it up is cuz out of curiosity i wanted to know, for anyone who watched the game live, who Siegrist's primary defender was on Seton Hall's team – specifically whether it was [fellow Draft prospect] Sidney Cooks or another Pirate? or if defending Siegrist was more complicated than that/understandably more of a team effort? (well, "effort" would maybe be too generous a term here Embarassed )

*without trying to disparage anyone, i simply trust those who have historically conversed in this thread to be more knowledgeable for this particular inquiry than our casual mock-draft discussers, which includes myself

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/15/23 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unfortunately, since the Big East’s streaming deal is with FloSports, there’s a non-zero chance that no one on this board watched the game to sort out how she was defended. I know St. John’s today alternated between using post player Rayven Peeples, small forward Kadaja Bailey, and double teams of whoever happened to be available. It was... slightly more effective? We only gave up 39!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/15/23 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

oh ew that’s right, fuck FloSports lmfao

since Siegrist seems to be a 4 and Cooks a 5, perhaps Cooks would get the benefit of the doubt in the eyes of those scouts & whoever else weren’t present to watch but would still care enough to find out

Cooks herself is putting up really good shooting/scoring numbers – i would certainly root for her to sneak in there as a first-rounder, or at least be a second-rounder who goes to a good situation

Siegrist should… probably be a lottery pick at this point, shouldn’t she

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/15/23 11:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as long as she doesn't follow in the footsteps of the previous all-time leading scorer in Villanova history, we'll all be happy

I have said, and been saying, that Sidney Cooks is more of a draft prospect than Lauren Park-Lane, because at the end of the day you can't coach height or a distinct lack thereof. I think LP is adorable and awesome, don't get me wrong (but she's my fourth favorite Pirate at best, because I am a sucker for defensive-minded players with dubious offense).

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/16/23 2:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

it is possible to succeed as a quick & tiny guard in the W if you have a solid 3pt shot to go along with that, and Park-Lane... well, she had it for a minute there last season but it went back down to bad this season, which is unfortunate

imo that's the key – teams will be interested in true PGs who can shoot no matter what their size is

(although while this is a Big East thread, i gotta say, it always did bug me how Kelly Campbell out of DePaul never got drafted – i mean just look at that senior-year statline, my goodness – so maybe i'll never truly understand what it is that teams want)

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/16/23 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DePaul does not have the world’s greatest track record in the W, beyond Allie Quigley (because, no, actually, we do not talk about the other moderately successful DePaul alum in the WNBA). It’s also possible Campbell made it known through back channels that she wasn’t interested in the W; players have been known to do that.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/16/23 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
oh ew that’s right, fuck FloSports lmfao

since Siegrist seems to be a 4 and Cooks a 5, perhaps Cooks would get the benefit of the doubt in the eyes of those scouts & whoever else weren’t present to watch but would still care enough to find out

Cooks herself is putting up really good shooting/scoring numbers – i would certainly root for her to sneak in there as a first-rounder, or at least be a second-rounder who goes to a good situation

Siegrist should… probably be a lottery pick at this point, shouldn’t she

Along with the Creme Pie, and Diamond she's ROY material, if she gets on a team where she gets to play. To me, it starts with Washington, as it seems, the Pie, Haley and Diamond have locked up the first 3 spots- currently. She can play the 3 in the W.

T-Bone most likely has a trade up his sleeve- he can't help himself as trading is in his blood. With Reeve, you never know, to me, she's a great coach but doesn't have the eye for selecting talent unless it drops in her lap. It's probably a good thing she has little to trade, except for maybe McBrick.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/16/23 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
DePaul does not have the world’s greatest track record in the W, beyond Allie Quigley (because, no, actually, we do not talk about the other moderately successful DePaul alum in the WNBA). It’s also possible Campbell made it known through back channels that she wasn’t interested in the W; players have been known to do that.

yeah that's probably what happened, especially since i don't think she's played overseas in any capacity – and she was certainly good enough to. i suppose when it's time, it's time.

RavenDog wrote:
Along with the Creme Pie, and Diamond she's ROY material, if she gets on a team where she gets to play. To me, it starts with Washington, as it seems, the Pie, Haley and Diamond have locked up the first 3 spots- currently. She can play the 3 in the W.

it may be a spicy take, but if Siegrist played for UConn and produced like even three-quarters the output of what she produces at Nova, she's probably the frontrunner for the #1 pick ahead of Aliyah Boston ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it's hard, cuz Siegrist is most certainly #2-pick worthy, but having both her & Napheesa Collier on the same team sorta seems... redundant somehow? idk how to explain why i feel like they're similar players, especially since i've likened Siegrist to Breanna Stewart, and the respective player profiles of Stewart & Collier bear no resemblance to me

Siegrist is one of the few prospects who i hope turns pro and doesn't stay in school the extra year, cuz she has absolutely nothing left to prove – the gal is ready

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/25/23 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seeding information as the regular season finishes on Monday - 2 games today and all teams except Georgetown play Monday night: https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/2/25/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-minute-tournament-seeding-takes-shape.aspx

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/26/23 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the seeding is set for the BET with the exception of the 4 and 5 - Marquette and St. John's are going to end up as those seeds- Monday's results will determine which seed each gets.

UCONN has clinched the 1 seed and at least a share of the BE regular season title but seeing as they host 0-19 in the BE Xavier on Monday I think it's pretty safe to assume they will win the title outright Smile.

Seeding info - https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/2/25/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-minute-uconn-clinches-regular-season-title-share-and-tourney-top-seed.aspx

BE Tourney schedule:
2023 BIG EAST Women’s Basketball Tournament
presented by JEEP
Mohegan Sun Arena – Uncasville, Conn.
March 3 – First Round
Game 1: 8 seed Butler vs. 9 seed Georgetown, 11 a.m. (SNY)
Game 2: 7 seed DePaul vs. 10 seed Providence, 1:30 p.m. (SNY)
Game 3: 6 seed Seton Hall vs. 11 seed Xavier, 4 p.m. (SNY)
March 4 – Quarterfinals
Game 4: Game 1 winner vs. 1 seed UConn, Noon (FS1)
Game 5: 4 seed vs. 5 seed, 2:30 p.m. (FS2) - - Marquette, St. John’s will play, seeding TBD
Game 6: Game 2 winner vs. 2 seed Villanova, 7 p.m. (FS2)
Game 7: Game 3 winner vs. 3 seed Creighton, 9:30 p.m. (FS2)
March 5 – Semifinals
Game 8: Game 4 winner vs. Game 5 winner, 3 p.m. (FS1)
Game 9: Game 6 winner vs. Game 7 winner, 5:30 p.m. (FS1)
March 6 - Final
Game 10: Game 8 winner vs Game 9 winner, 7 p.m. (FS1)

singinerd54

PostPosted: 02/26/23 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
UCONN has clinched the 1 seed and at least a share of the BE regular season title but seeing as they host 0-19 in the BE Xavier on Monday I think it's pretty safe to assume they will win the title outright Smile.

Please do not jinx us like this!! You clearly haven't watched us play lately!! Laughing Laughing

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/26/23 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Please do not jinx us like this!! You clearly haven't watched us play lately!! Laughing Laughing

Ha ha - I just watched Marquette play at Xavier yesterday and I think UCONN will have no problem dropping Xavier to 0-20 in BE play.

whoopsjunkie2

PostPosted: 03/01/23 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Any thoughts on All-Big East Team/awards?

Obviously Siegrist will be player of the year again. What about 6th player, most improved, coach? Anything I am leaving out?

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/02/23 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie - what are your thoughts on the BE COY?

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/02/23 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Player of the Year
Maddy Siegrist Villanova, Sr., F*

Coach of the Year
Joe Tartamella, St. John’s

Freshman of the Year
Kennedy Fauntleroy, Georgetown, Fr., G*

Defensive Player of the Year
Nika Mühl, Connecticut, Jr., G

Most Improved Player
Aaliyah Edwards, Connecticut, Jr., F

Sportsmanship Award
Graceann Bennett, Georgetown, Sr., F

Sixth-Woman of the Year
Unique Drake, St. John’s, Sr., G

All-BIG EAST First Team

Aaliyah Edwards, Connecticut, Jr., F*
Lou Lopez Senechal, Connecticut, Grad., G/F*
Lauren Jensen, Creighton, Jr., G
Morgan Maly, Creighton, Jr., G/F
Aneesah Morrow, DePaul, So., F*
Jordan King, Marquette, Sr., G*
Chloe Marotta, Marquette, Sr., F
Jayla Everett, St. John’s, R-Sr., G*
Lauren Park-Lane, Seton Hall, Sr., G*
Maddy Siegrist Villanova, Sr., F*

All-BIG EAST Second Team

Dorka Juhász, Connecticut, Grad., F
Nika Mühl, Connecticut, Jr., G
Darrione Rogers, DePaul, Jr., G
Sidney Cooks, Seton Hall, Grad., F/C
Lucy Olsen, Villanova, So., G

Honorable Mention

Aubrey Griffin, Connecticut, R-Jr., F
Emma Ronsiek, Creighton, Jr. F
Kelsey Ransom, Georgetown, Jr., G
Kadaja Bailey, St. John’s, R-Sr., G

All-Freshman Team

Jessica Carrothers, Butler, Fr., G
Kennedy Fauntleroy, Georgetown, Fr., G*
Mackenzie Hare, Marquette, Fr., G
Emily La Chapell, Marquette, Fr., G*
Fernanda Ovalle, Xavier, Fr., G

*unanimous selection
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/02/23 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie - what are your thoughts on the BE COY?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: