RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big East 22-23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/21/22 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Pleasantly surprised to see Xavier at 4-0. The wins are not against anyone projected to have a good season, but they have won all of their games by double digits, which hasn't happened in a long long time. I am curious to see if they can be remotely competitive against Creighton on Friday, but it seems the program (picked last in the league) is finally, maybe, starting to make a little bit of progress.

Also super weird to see Nia Clark (Marquette) and Kae Satterfield (Seton Hall) from last year's team playing for other Big East teams now. Seems like that will be awkward.

Was there ever any reliable scuttlebutt as to why they were kicked off the team at Xavier?

PostPosted: 11/22/22 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing that I saw anywhere. The Cincinnati media basically does not write about women's basketball unless there is some feature-y angle to it. I would think it couldn't have been that nefarious for them to end up on their feet elsewhere.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/25/22 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lauren Park-Lane was brilliant today in Seton Hall's victory over Wisconsin, scoring 37 points, one shy of the Pirate single game record. She deserves more national attention.

I didn't know that former UConn player Caroline Doty is now an assistant coach at Wisconsin since 2021, after working nine years for Nike.
Queenie

PostPosted: 11/25/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At her height, LP is easy to overlook. Wink She’s very streaky, and her opinion of when she is at her best does not always jive with when she is at her best more objectively. She’s fearless, but that’s been leading to her calling her own number too much when she has teammates in better position. She absolutely deserves her position on the Lieberman watch list, and y’all should be paying more attention to her. It’s just that she might start to frustrate you too.

Fun fact: I was at the 38-point game by Tabatha Richardson-Smith! It was what we refer to as The Ridiculous Marquette Weekend (upon further review the second game was a Wednesday, but what is time), where Seton Hall was down like 20 and then won in overtime, and then Marquette took inspiration from that game and came back from 20 down to beat St. John’s the next time out. I miss watching Tab play basketball.

PostPosted: 11/25/22 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creighton winning at Xavier by only 6 to soft-open (false-open?) conference play seems relevant to the "is Xavier [wbb] becoming a thing again?" discourse

Stormeo wrote:
UConn, Creighton, and Villanova seem to be the Tourney teams

And then Marquette came along and said “hey u ugly-ass b!tch I think ur missing someone” and y’know what? maybe I am!!

Stormeo wrote:
I don't see DePaul getting in this year

Another slight middle finger from them as well, as they knocked off Miami (FL) and Maryland the past two games and re-established a pulse for a Big Dance invite, with plenty more opportunities to continue to make up ground

singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/26/22 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Creighton winning at Xavier by only 6 to soft-open (false-open?) conference play seems relevant to the "is Xavier [wbb] becoming a thing again?" discourse

Stormeo wrote:
UConn, Creighton, and Villanova seem to be the Tourney teams

And then Marquette came along and said “hey u ugly-ass b!tch I think ur missing someone” and y’know what? maybe I am!!

Stormeo wrote:
I don't see DePaul getting in this year

Another slight middle finger from them as well, as they knocked off Miami (FL) and Maryland the past two games and re-established a pulse for a Big Dance invite, with plenty more opportunities to continue to make up ground

I'm here for this self-criticism and aggressive commentary Laughing

IM in OC

PostPosted: 11/26/22 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenies SJ Red Storm was ready to drop the gloves with Memphis late in yesterdays SJ win.

Memphis walks off the court.

https://twitter.com/TSMforSC/status/1596381705744830465

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/26/22 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wasn’t watching- I’m sort of on a break from St. John’s until they get a coach- and I’m desperately trying to find out who said what about whose mother.

PostPosted: 11/26/22 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IM in OC wrote:
Queenies SJ Red Storm was ready to drop the gloves with Memphis late in yesterdays SJ win.

Memphis walks off the court.

https://twitter.com/TSMforSC/status/1596381705744830465

Trying to figure out how Marquette is a disgrace here as someone tweeted 😂

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/27/22 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Villanova crushes the cherry sundae of the AAC, South Florida, 70-52, while fickle DePaul spills gravy on its shirt in a loss to CAA Towson, 64-56.

What an unpredictable season so far, all over. It's not so much parity as macroscopic Heisenberg uncertainty.
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/27/22 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DePaul is super puzzling this year - they beat Maryland Friday but then lost to Towson today.

Marquette beat St. Francis PA 83-40 today. All 12 players scored for MU against not so tough competition.

Maddy Siegrist scored 25 points today in Villanova's win over South Florida to go over 2,000 career points.

I see Seton Hall picked up a nice win over Georgia this weekend.

Big East play started with one game - Creighton won a closer than expected contest at Xavier on Friday. I think most teams have 2 conference games coming up this weekend. And then regular conference play will start up later in December.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/27/22 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DePaul has two modes: “DEPAUL WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS (affectionate)” and “DEPAUL WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS (derogatory)”. It’s like Doug Bruno takes a sick, sadistic pleasure in confounding us.

PostPosted: 11/28/22 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
DePaul has two modes: “DEPAUL WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS (affectionate)” and “DEPAUL WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS (derogatory)”. It’s like Doug Bruno takes a sick, sadistic pleasure in confounding us.
Laughing

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/28/22 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

This is a great way to describe them. I have a feeling they will look really good when they play Marquette.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 11/28/22 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With Marquette joining the AP poll today, the Big East has 4 teams in the AP top 25 for the first time since conference realignment in 2014 - https://twitter.com/DougFeinberg/status/1597290336476606464

UCONN, Creighton and Villanova are also in the AP top 25

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/28/22 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per tip from pilight, as of 11/27/22, Warren Nolan ranks the Big East third in conference RPI . . .

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketballw/2023/rpi-conference

. . . and UConn and Creighton 1 and 2 in team RPI:

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketballw/2023/rpi-live
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/02/22 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big East play got started for most teams today although Creighton and Xavier are on their 2nd BE game of the season and DePaul has yet to play a conference game this season.

The final results today were what I would have expected - only surprise to me was how big a margin there was in the Creighton-Villanova game. I'm certainly not surprised Creighton won - just surprised they won by 21 at Villanova - Maddie Siegrist's 25 points were over half of Villanova's total 46 points.

There are a couple short stretches of BE play in December for most teams - I think regular league play doesn't start until after Christmas and I know Marquete still has 3 remaining non-conference games.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/05/22 4:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
I'm here for this self-criticism and aggressive commentary Laughing

i've learned that, at least within a sports context, being wrong usually has a lot more 'fun' potential than being right 😅

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/05/22 4:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

St. John's is clearly in "win back Queenie" mode after the 8-0 start they've had to the season, including being the first team to knock off Creighton

whoopsjunkie2

PostPosted: 12/05/22 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
St. John's is clearly in "win back Queenie" mode after the 8-0 start they've had to the season, including being the first team to knock off Creighton

Could Queenie really be won back??

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/05/22 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m still not convinced that the school is actually investing in the program, and if they aren’t willing to spend money on Red Storm women’s basketball, why should I?

PostPosted: 12/19/22 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-womens-college-basketball-poll?week=7

St John's in
Villanova out

First AP ranking since 2015 for St. John's apparently. could they really finish in the top-2 in the BE this year? (considering they've already beaten one of the two BE teams ranked ahead of them once)

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 12/19/22 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

St John's in
Villanova out

First AP ranking since 2015 for St. John's apparently. could they really finish in the top-2 in the BE this year? (considering they've already beaten one of the two BE teams ranked ahead of them once)

You anticipating a repeat of 2012?

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/19/22 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

St John's in
Villanova out

You anticipating a repeat of 2012?

The composition of this team is giving me more 2006 vibes- a good team that made the tournament and put up a pretty good fight against eventual champion Maryland, but one that relied heavily on transfers and upperclassmen. The next couple of years were rough as KBA had to bring in a lot of players, and a lot of them did not stick.

By my math, there are eight players who could decide that this is their last year of basketball on a 12-player roster. The remaining four have a total of 79 minutes played and 18 points scored so far this season.

PostPosted: 12/23/22 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Similar to earlier posts here, I'm curious to see how so far undefeated St. John's does in Big East play. I don't think the BE will get as many teams into the NCAA Tournament as Charlie Creme is currently predicting (6).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: