RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Preseason Scrimmages and Exhibitions 2022-23
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/20/22 1:10 pm    ::: Preseason Scrimmages and Exhibitions 2022-23 Reply Reply with quote

Thought I'd start a catch-all thread for info, thoughts, and analysis on preseason scrimmages and exhibition games.

DePaul will host Iowa in a closed scrimmage on October 22. Definitely wish I could be a fly on the wall for that one!

The following weekend, Iowa will host Nebraska-Kearney in a public exhibition game.

PostPosted: 10/20/22 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa State has a closed scrimmage @ South Dakota State on Oct 22. ISU's public exhibition is vs. Winona State on Nov 2.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/21/22 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
Iowa State has a closed scrimmage @ South Dakota State on Oct 22.

Too bad some of these closed scrimmages aren't real games! I get that most teams want to ease into things but damn I would love to watch that one.

PostPosted: 10/22/22 8:46 pm    ::: Re: Preseason Scrimmages and Exhibitions 2022-23 Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Thought I'd start a catch-all thread for info, thoughts, and analysis on preseason scrimmages and exhibition games.

DePaul will host Iowa in a closed scrimmage on October 22. Definitely wish I could be a fly on the wall for that one!

The following weekend, Iowa will host Nebraska-Kearney in a public exhibition game.

Thanks for starting this thread!

I wasn't able to attend Duke's open practice this morning, but reports are rolling in. First thoughts: 1) new posts can catch and shoot, meaning Duke is upgraded at post, 2) the two players who missed playing last season due to injury - Shay Bollin and Jordyn Oliver - both participated fully and are ready to go, 3) Jordyn Oliver is a stud.

Duke received 2 votes in the AP pre-season poll and was ranked 7 in the ACC, with 5 teams placed in the top 25 and Miami receiving 3 votes in the AP pre-season. I'll be happy if Duke can keep together this season, finish in the top half of the ACC and get into the tournament. Right now it looks like Duke will exceed these goals.

~rAf
Cooper2009

PostPosted: 10/23/22 6:22 pm    ::: Re: Preseason Scrimmages and Exhibitions 2022-23 Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:

Thanks for starting this thread!

I wasn't able to attend Duke's open practice this morning, but reports are rolling in. First thoughts: 1) new posts can catch and shoot, meaning Duke is upgraded at post, 2) the two players who missed playing last season due to injury - Shay Bollin and Jordyn Oliver - both participated fully and are ready to go, 3) Jordyn Oliver is a stud.

Duke received 2 votes in the AP pre-season poll and was ranked 7 in the ACC, with 5 teams placed in the top 25 and Miami receiving 3 votes in the AP pre-season. I'll be happy if Duke can keep together this season, finish in the top half of the ACC and get into the tournament. Right now it looks like Duke will exceed these goals.

I’m hoping Kara stuns many this season. Not Tennessee but many others.

PostPosted: 10/23/22 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn had a closed scrimmage at Ga Tech today. No word on the game, but the team was wearing "Tasha Tough" T-shirts for Tasha Butts, former Tenn player and current GT AC, who is being treated for breast cancer.

Next Sun, Tenn has an exhibition game against Carson-Newman, 2 pm ET on SECN+. [Oops, fixed it.]

Last edited by FrozenLVFan on 10/24/22 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/24/22 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Tenn had a closed scrimmage at Ga Tech today. No word on the game, but the team was wearing "Tasha Tough" T-shirts for Tasha Butts, former Tenn player and current GT AC, who is being treated for breast cancer.

Next Sun, Tenn has an exhibition game against Cardinal-Newman, 2 pm ET on SECN+.

Carson-Newman. The little Baptist school down the road. They always beat the stuffing out of them but the C-N girls play hard anyway and it's all in good fun. They do it every year.

PostPosted: 10/24/22 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia had a closed scrimmage yesterday with Clemson.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/28/22 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU had a scrimmage with Mississippi College.

https://storage.googleapis.com/lsusports-com/2022/10/04f00086-2165681.pdf

Angel Reese didn’t play.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 10/28/22 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
LSU had a scrimmage with Mississippi College.

https://storage.googleapis.com/lsusports-com/2022/10/04f00086-2165681.pdf

Angel Reese didn’t play.

Shocked

PostPosted: 10/28/22 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kim decided to not play Angel this game and the next exhibition game. Angel was really into the game on the sideline tho.

PostPosted: 10/28/22 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Box score for Iowa's exhibition: https://hawkeyesports.com/boxscore/nebraska-kearney-10-28-2022/

The starters all played around 15 minutes, and everyone played at least 8 minutes, except Jada Gyamfi (who was not dressed).

Freshman Hannah Stuelke was very exciting and oozing with potential. Expecting her to be the primary backup 4. She are Clark were co-leading scorers with 18 points each.

I was pulling my hair out already when Clark turned it over on Iowa's very first possession, but happily it was her only turnover of the game.

Central Michigan transfer transfer Molly Davis, who mostly played the backup 1, had 6 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists. I was hoping to see her get more minutes at the 2 with her and Clark alternating on/off the ball, but that only happened for a couple of possessions before the rest of the bench rotated in.

Per usual for all D1/D2 exhibition matches, the D1 post players feasted. Iowa's four centers shot a combined 16-17. It doesn't seem settled yet who will be the first post off the bench between O'Grady and Goodman. O'Grady is taller, the better shot blocker, and more finesse oriented, but Goodman is stronger and more physical. Ediger looked good too but I struggle to see how she'll get much playing time. Stuelke even played the 5 for a few possessions of "small ball," which could definitely help Iowa matchup better against teams who play a 5-out offense.

The biggest question for me--especially in light of Feuerbach's ACL injury-- is who will get the primary backup minutes at the 2 and 3. At the 2 will we see more of Davis or McCabe (who is an amazing 3 point shooter)? At the 3 will we see Affolter or Wetering (who is finally healthy for the first time in 2 seasons)? Or does Stuelke have enough perimeter skills to play the 3?

PostPosted: 10/29/22 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A piece on Maryland's exhibition game. Couldn't find a box score.

https://www.testudotimes.com/2022/10/28/23429102/multiple-terps-make-debut-in-maryland-womens-basketballs-blowout-exhibition-win-over-frostburg-state

"New transfers Abby Meyers, Elisa Pinzan and Lavender Briggs joined the only two true seniors on the team in Diamond Miller and Faith Masonius, rounding off the first starting five of the year."

That group makes me think Frese will be running a 5-out/positionless system without a true post player. Besides Pinzan -- who is 5'8'' and the truest PG of this bunch -- everyone else is 6'0'' or taller, athletic, and versatile. Even if Maryland isn't as good as prior years that will be tough as ever for many teams to guard. I'm a bit surprised Sellars didn't move into the starting lineup since she already has a year of experience in Maryland's system, but she will be great off the bench again and can sub in for virtually any position.

PostPosted: 10/30/22 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina will have an exhibition tomorrow with Benedict College at 7:00 pm....

adamj95

PostPosted: 10/30/22 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gophers beat UW-Riverfalls 104-64 today. Freshman Braun and Battle are the real deal, combining for 39 points. Go Gophers!

PostPosted: 10/30/22 4:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn 108, Carson-Newman 63 in exhibition game.

Jackson, Horton, and Suarez looked really good. Puckett and Pissott are deadly from the outside. Franklin got 10 boards. Defense needs work. The players that were clueless last year are still clueless.

C-N is pretty good for D-2.

noleman

PostPosted: 10/30/22 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

“New Look Noles” won their 1st exhibition game vs West Georgia today 115-46 without their starting PG Gordon playing.

Sophomore Makayla Timpson led the way with 25&13. Freshman Latson filled the stat sheet with 20pts, 3 rbds/3assts/3steals. 3 other players scored in double figures as well.

They have their final exhibition game this Thursday against Flagler.

https://seminoles.com/new-look-noles-showcase-offense-in-exhibition-win/

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/31/22 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina defeats Benedict College in their exhibition tonight 123-32. The score wasn't unexpected....

PUmatty

PostPosted: 10/31/22 8:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
South Carolina defeats Benedict College in their exhibition tonight 123-32. The score wasn't unexpected....

I know it is exhibition, but what is the point of a game like this?

BD22

PostPosted: 10/31/22 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Exhibitions give teams to play "with the lights on" but without risking, in most cases, a loss, and without having to show much of the playbook. Lets teams try some things before the season opener. For the D2, D3, or NAIA teams, it's a super cool chance for them to play a D1, plus they get a check that helps supplement the budget.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/31/22 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon hosted NAIA Carroll College (MT). Oregon rolled to a 72-41 victory, with some nice freshman performances. (VanSlooten, Gray and Isai)

Rogers and Pao Pao put up nice 'nuff stats - hopefully this dynamic duo will commandeer the reins and take this group to The Promised Land. Cool

PostPosted: 10/31/22 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame defeated Truman St (Missouri) in an exhibition tonight, 92-47. Starting 5 was Citron, Miles, Westbeld, Watson and Mabry. Bransford and Ebo each played 20+ minutes off the bench. Citron had a double double with 17 pts, 14 rebounds, plus 4 assists and 4 steals ( and zero fouls).

Box score is available at https://und.com/boxscore/355951/

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 11/01/22 6:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

This was explained very well above: South Carolina also played Benedict as an exhibition game to open up last season, and beat them 98-41 then. Benedict seemed to lose their way in the final period even more so than earlier in the game, as the Gamecocks out-scored them 31-1 in the final stanza, playing mostly reserves (Hall, Feagin, and Thompson each played the entire 10 minutes, and Amihere, Cardoso, Watkins, and Cooper split up the other 20 minutes between them. Cardoso only played 2:09, while Amihere played 4:47 - the two fewest minutes played in the 4th of any of the players).

The score was 92-31 at the end of the 3rd period......

The players who played the most minutes of the exhibition was:

Talaysia Cooper (25:08 )
Bree Hall (24:16)
Kamilla Cardoso (21:52)
Laeticia Amihere (20:57)
Sania Feagin (20:06)

- all reserves. South Carolina did not play two projected starters: Victaria Saxton was dealing with a sore foot, and our two point guards expected to vie for starters' minutes - Raven Johnson and Kierra Fletcher - also did not play....

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/01/22 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU isn't even having an exhibition game. They start right out with Maine. I guess the closest they come to exhibition is Queens (NC).

Last edited by summertime blues on 11/01/22 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/01/22 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

poor Warner Pacific (NAIA) from the Portland area had to spend their Halloween last night getting demolished by my UW Huskies in an exh. matchup, 115-24. it was probably a sad & quiet 3-hr bus ride back, especially knowing they wouldn't be able to spend the holiday night back on campus

obviously these lower-division schools agree to these (exhibition) games at least primarily for the paycheck – and thus they always will

it of course is very little consolation for the players that actually have to go out there and tough these games out – has anyone actually asked them how they feel about playing a Div.-I school?

that's why the "super cool chance to play Div. I" argument comes off to me as a disingenuous one, even as some players (especially freshmen who may not have ever experienced getting beat down) probably do feel that way

nah, it's all about the dead prezzies on the dollar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: