RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ACC 22-23.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/10/22 6:32 pm    ::: ACC 22-23. Reply Reply with quote

WBB media day is tomorrow (Tuesday Oct 11)

Check it out all day on the ACC Network. Set your DVR so you can fast forward to the parts you want to see.

8am to 5pm, replayed from 5pm to 2am.

Channel 612 on DirecTV.

Also schedule for individual schools, names of players appearing, and links to watch online can be found at https://theacc.com/sports/2021/9/14/MBB_0914213121.aspx

Interesting that UVA has Sam Brunelle as one of their two players.

(The men's day is Wednesday; their schedule is at the same webpage)

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 10/12/22 7:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/10/22 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Wednesday the basketball student-athletes selected by its 15 league schools to attend the 2022 ACC Tipoff, which will be held October 11-12 at the Westin in Charlotte, North Carolina. The women’s event will be held on Tuesday, October 11 and the men’s event on Wednesday, October 12.

ACC Network will be live from ACC Tipoff for two days of expansive coverage from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. The 24/7 national network dedicated to ACC sports will provide the event’s most robust television coverage to date.

The attendees for the 2022 ACC Tipoff are:

WOMEN’S TIPOFF (October 11)

Boston College
Head Coach Joanna Bernabei-McNamee
Maria Gakdeng
Dontavia Waggoner

Clemson
Head Coach Amanda Butler
Amari Robinson

Duke
Head Coach Kara Lawson
Reigan Richardson
Celeste Taylor

Florida State
Head Coach Brooke Wyckoff
O’Mariah Gordon
Makayla Timpson

Georgia Tech
Head Coach Nell Fortner
Bianca Jackson
Cameron Swartz

Louisville
Head Coach Jeff Walz
Olivia Cochran
Mykasa Robinson
Hailey Van Lith

Miami
Head Coach Katie Meier
Destiny Harden
Ja’Leah Williams

North Carolina
Head Coach Courtney Banghart
Deja Kelly
Kennedy Todd-Williams

NC State
Head Coach Wes Moore
Jakia Brown-Turner
Diamond Johnson

Notre Dame
Head Coach Niele Ivey
Dara Mabrey
Olivia Miles

Pitt
Head Coach Lance White
Dayshanette Harris
Channise Lewis

Syracuse
Head Coach Felicia Legette-Jack
Dyaisha Fair
Teisha Hyman

Virginia
Head Coach Amaka Agugua-Hamilton
Sam Brunelle
Camryn Taylor

Virginia Tech
Head Coach Kenny Brooks
Georgia Amoore
Elizabeth Kitley

Wake Forest
Head Coach Megan Gebbia
Jewel Spear
Olivia Summiel"

Warning: this list is alphabetical, not in the order of scheduled appearance tomorrow. For the schedule, click the link in the previous post.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/11/22 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

was there a preseason poll as part of media day?

thefutureisbright

PostPosted: 10/11/22 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Comes out a week or so later

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/11/22 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
was there a preseason poll as part of media day?

No poll yet, but all the talk was of Louisville, UNC and Virginia Tech, with a side of NC State and Notre Dame. Expect them to be 1-5 in the poll.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/12/22 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure what you were listening to, but "all the talk" was of the 5 teams in ESPN's "too early" rankings (L'ville, ND, NCSt, UNC, and Va Tech, who ESPN has, in order, at 7, 8, 11, 12, 13) plus Miami who they felt was being overlooked. All day they spoke of that as the top 6 and every person said any of the six could win, that there will be a scramble for the top 4 ACC Tourney seeds (double bye), that unlike most years there is no clear favorite, and that all of these six could make deep tournament runs. If anything, it was Louisville and NCSt who were placed at the top by most of the talking heads based entirely on recent history. I'm guessing they'll be the likely top 2 in the ACC's polls as well. Everyone has question marks because of roster changes, both losses and additions, and Antonnelli felt ND has by far the toughest conference schedule (having to play most of the other top group on the road) which she felt would hinder them. (I thought she was overstating it, as she tends to do, but she repeated it all day) They were confident the ACC regular season champ would likely have two or three losses and no one would go undefeated in conference this year.

I'm guessing they'll have Kitly or van Lith as pre season POY.

And there was a lot of slobbering about Ashley Owusu joining VT, which I think remains to be seen how well that works out in reality. The other "wait and see" to me is all the talk about how Morgan Jones's arrival from FSU is going to more than make up for the loss of do-everything Emily Engstler, without whom the Cardinals would have gone nowhere last year.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/12/22 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Not sure what you were listening to, but "all the talk" was of the 5 teams in ESPN's "too early" rankings (L'ville, ND, NCSt, UNC, and Va Tech, who ESPN has, in order, at 7, 8, 11, 12, 13) plus Miami who they felt was being overlooked. All day they spoke of that as the top 6 and every person said any of the six could win, that there will be a scramble for the top 4 ACC Tourney seeds (double bye), that unlike most years there is no clear favorite, and that all of these six could make deep tournament runs. If anything, it was Louisville and NCSt who were placed at the top by most of the talking heads based entirely on recent history. I'm guessing they'll be the likely top 2 in the ACC's polls as well. Everyone has question marks because of roster changes, both losses and additions, and Antonnelli felt ND has by far the toughest conference schedule (having to play most of the other top group on the road) which she felt would hinder them. (I thought she was overstating it, as she tends to do, but she repeated it all day) They were confident the ACC regular season champ would likely have two or three losses and no one would go undefeated in conference this year.

I'm guessing they'll have Kitly or van Lith as pre season POY.

And there was a lot of slobbering about Ashley Owusu joining VT, which I think remains to be seen how well that works out in reality. The other "wait and see" to me is all the talk about how Morgan Jones's arrival from FSU is going to more than make up for the loss of do-everything Emily Engstler, without whom the Cardinals would have gone nowhere last year.

Well, because I'm home recovering from Covid, I watched the whole thing - TWICE. We both came away knowing it was the same top 5. I felt UNC was hyped more than any team other than Louisville, who they all but crowned as pre-season favorite. Personally, this Notre Dame team scares me and I would have hyped them more. But this is the way I experienced the ACC Women's Basketball TipOff all day program.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/12/22 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's why I said 6, because it seemed like each of the thousand times they mentioned the group of 5, somebody would pipe up with "Miami should be ranked and should be in that group too" or "Miami is really being overlooked and should be included in that top tier" or something similar. I don't know if I agree, but they definitely wanted to include Miami in Tier 1 rather than in Tier 2 (which I think included Syracuse, GaTech, Duke, and maybe Wake - I don't recall exactly)

They were all agog about how Kenny Brooks got Taylor Soule and Ashley Owusu but never really explained how a bunch of under 6' guards plus Kitley was going to make for a balanced team, nor did anyone mention Owusu's obvious lack of chemistry at Maryland or the reality that she didn't deliver there any of the spectacular results predicted for VT even though she was surrounded last year by more talent than she will be this year.

I happen to like Kitley a lot, but I don't really see that when you net the additions with the loss of Aisha Sheppard (the all time VT career scoring leader, all time ACC record holder for most 3 pointers made, and 3 time All ACC 1st or 2nd team selection) that they are going to be significantly different or improved from last year. Are Owusu and Soule really going to be a lot more productive or efficient than Sheppard was? And how many balls will they need to use to keep everyone happy? Looks to me like what they needed was a decent 6'2" forward or two, or they remain a Kitley and the Four Dwarfs in a 4 guard formation. They'll be dangerous and pull some upsets, but win the league . . . .?

Hope you're feeling better and suffer no lingering effects.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/13/22 2:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
That's why I said 6, because it seemed like each of the thousand times they mentioned the group of 5, somebody would pipe up with "Miami should be ranked and should be in that group too" or "Miami is really being overlooked and should be included in that top tier" or something similar. I don't know if I agree, but they definitely wanted to include Miami in Tier 1 rather than in Tier 2 (which I think included Syracuse, GaTech, Duke, and maybe Wake - I don't recall exactly)

They were all agog about how Kenny Brooks got Taylor Soule and Ashley Owusu but never really explained how a bunch of under 6' guards plus Kitley was going to make for a balanced team, nor did anyone mention Owusu's obvious lack of chemistry at Maryland or the reality that she didn't deliver there any of the spectacular results predicted for VT even though she was surrounded last year by more talent than she will be this year.

I happen to like Kitley a lot, but I don't really see that when you net the additions with the loss of Aisha Sheppard (the all time VT career scoring leader, all time ACC record holder for most 3 pointers made, and 3 time All ACC 1st or 2nd team selection) that they are going to be significantly different or improved from last year. Are Owusu and Soule really going to be a lot more productive or efficient than Sheppard was? And how many balls will they need to use to keep everyone happy? Looks to me like what they needed was a decent 6'2" forward or two, or they remain a Kitley and the Four Dwarfs in a 4 guard formation. They'll be dangerous and pull some upsets, but win the league . . . .?

Hope you're feeling better and suffer no lingering effects.

You're right, there was a 5 +1 vibe going on with Miami. All that NIL $$ is going to have an effect sooner or later. Regarding VT, I think Soule will pick up where Shepherd left off. Owusu is a BIG question mark with last season being such a mess. But Kitley IS the real deal, so we'll see.

And thank you for the good wishes. I had long Covid from the first bout but symptoms finally let up after I got the 1st booster. This has been much milder than the first go round - which it should be after 5 Covid vaxxes. Not sure if I'll be up for attending games...again, with nobody masked up. People are getting these new variants multiple times.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/13/22 2:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Soule is supposed to be the plug for Sheppard, VT is in trouble from distance. While Sheppard is the all time ACC record holder for most 3 pointers made, Soule was a whopping 2 for 11 from the arc last year. If you're going to play 4 guards, somebody's got to make threes to keep defenses from just collapsing and smothering Kitely.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/13/22 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
If Soule is supposed to be the plug for Sheppard, VT is in trouble from distance. While Sheppard is the all time ACC record holder for most 3 pointers made, Soule was a whopping 2 for 11 from the arc last year. If you're going to play 4 guards, somebody's got to make threes to keep defenses from just collapsing and smothering Kitely.

You are right about that. Shooting 3's is not something Soule does well. She's a slasher/passer/midrange/broken play kind of player. Owusu, on the other hand has the capability of knocking down 3's, which was one of the many things she didn't do last season. Her size gives her the ability to set some monster picks to get herself or teammate wide open. She's also amazingly adept for her size. She can be similar to a heftier Chelsea Gray, who was also not quick, but with quick reaction time and read the play on the floor like nobody else could.

Y'all can now see why I kept going to Duke games while Chelsea was playing. Though she wasn't at the level she is now, she always made mindblowing plays beyond the passes that nobody saw coming. A generational talent.

What Chelsea had and Owusu doesn't seem to have was the ability to keep performing at a high level even when surrounded by negativity and chaos. We'll see how Ashley develops this year.

~rAf
lynxmania

PostPosted: 02/26/23 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ashley Owusu on Twitter wrote:
freee meeee

https://twitter.com/Ashleyyowusu15/status/1629193684993429507

PostPosted: 02/26/23 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
freee meeee

How about she proves that she actually deserve playing time on this team? Laughing

PostPosted: 02/26/23 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
freee meeee

How about she proves that she actually deserve playing time on this team? Laughing

And wouldn't completely destroy the chemistry on a team that's doing great without her. She wasn't exactly known as a great teammate at MD and tweets publicly slapping her coach in the face aren't exactly going to endear her to him or the other players.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/26/23 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ACC 22-23 regular season champions - University of Notre Dame!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/26/23 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
lynxmania wrote:
freee meeee

And wouldn't completely destroy the chemistry on a team that's doing great without her. She wasn't exactly known as a great teammate at MD and tweets publicly slapping her coach in the face aren't exactly going to endear her to him or the other players.

She has never impressed me. She's a truck and a bully and apparently a poor excuse for a teammate. I absolutely winced when she went to VA Tech but hoped Kenny could do something with her. Apparently not. Go away, Ashley.

PostPosted: 02/27/23 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How about we mention the elephant in the room: Duke was completely absent from ALL talk of the ACC before the season. Now Duke is second seed in the ACC tournament!

The game yesterday vs UNC is what everyone expected of Duke this season. The team has no shooters. What nobody saw coming is that Coach Kara would take what she had - a group of athletes committed to defense plus an adequate, COACHABLE post rotation - and turned them into one of the best defenses in the country. And, as a fan, the defense was beautiful and exciting to watch. With every player on the floor bought into an excellent defensive plan, watching every player move in perfect synchronicity with each other has been special.

Duke has earned the #2 seed in the ACC tourney and hosting the 1st and 2nd rounds of the NCAA tournament and are favored to get to the Sweet Sixteen, currently projected as a 3 seed. A 6, 11 or 14 seed would need to beat them to deny them a Sweet Sixteen trip.

And, after facing North Carolina yesterday, I have to say they have the talent to go deep - mostly due to the coaching talent of Coach Banghart. She had the team ready to take away everything Duke usually does on offense (which is admittedly mediocre), which is a combination of X & O figuring it out AND teaching it so players performed flawlessly. Combined with their shotmakers, this team is dangerous. Their lack of an elite post game will be their undoing but the players back from injury are at least adequate. This team was hit with as many injuries as UConn was, but their deep team hid that fact better than the puny UConn bench did. The role players who stepped in lost a few games, but the starters are all back and the role players do just fine in the reduced minutes they now play. You can ink this team in as a lower seed who will pull an upset and move on in the NCAA (I hope not in the ACC tourney since that's who Duke will face).

That was my biggest takeaway from yesterday's miserable Duke loss to UNC - that Coach Banghart IS all that and a bag of chips. She had the superior talent - having had 4 years of recruiting to build her squad - and she had the team ready for this game.

As a Duke women's basketball fan for 40 years now, it's fun to have both Duke and our arch rivals with good coaches for some exciting head to head match ups for years to come. We can put the forgettable decade in the rear view mirror.

~rAf
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/28/23 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ACC Women’s Basketball Announces 2022-23 Award Winners

GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – Virginia Tech senior center Elizabeth Kitley has been chosen as the Atlantic Coast Conference Player of the Year and Notre Dame head coach Niele Ivey is the ACC Coach of the Year, highlighting the 2022-23 All-ACC Women’s Basketball Team and award winners.

The 2022-23 All-ACC Team was determined by the league’s head coaches and Blue Ribbon Panel.

Florida State earned two season awards, as freshman guard Ta’Niya Latson was named the ACC Rookie of the Year, while sophomore forward Makayla Timpson earned ACC Most Improved Player honors. Duke’s Celeste Taylor received ACC Defensive Player of the Year laurels, while NC State’s Saniya Rivers was tabbed ACC Sixth Player of the Year.

Kitley becomes the third-straight two-time winner of the ACC Player of the Year award after Louisville’s AD Durr and Dana Evans won back-to-back through 2018-2021. Kitley is the only ACC player to average a double-double this season, as she ranks fourth in the conference with 18.8 points per game and a league-best 10.7 rebounds per contest. The Summerfield, North Carolina, native has posted a conference-best 18 double-doubles this season, including each of her last four games to help Virginia Tech seal a double bye in this week’s Ally ACC Women’s Basketball Tournament. Kitley won ACC Player of the Week four times this season, the most of any player.

Latson is the first Seminole to claim ACC Rookie of the Year honors. The Miami native leads the ACC in points per game (21.3) and looks to become the first ACC freshman to average more than 20 points per game since Wake Forest's Tracy Connor (20.6) in 1993. Earlier this season, Latson became the first ACC player ever to sweep the conference’s weekly honors in back-to-back weeks. The guard is responsible for seven of the ACC's 13 30-point performances this season. She scored a season-high 34 points twice during the regular season and set a personal conference-high mark of 32 against Georgia Tech on Jan. 1. Latson won the ACC Rookie of the Week award a league-record 10 times this campaign.

Taylor closed the regular season with 58 steals on a Duke team that leads the ACC and ranks third nationally in scoring defense at 50.9 points per game. The Valley Stream, New York, native recorded six games with four or more steals, including a six-steal effort in a win over Oregon State on Nov. 27. Taylor was tabbed as one of 10 semifinalists for the 2023 Naismith Women’s Defensive Player of the Year award. The guard is the first Blue Devil to earn Defensive Player of the Year honors since Lexie Brown in 2018.

Ivey becomes the first Notre Dame coach since Muffet McGraw in 2016 to win ACC Coach of the Year. Ivey led the Fighting Irish to a 15-3 conference record and the program’s first ACC regular-season title since 2019. Notre Dame enters the postseason with 24 wins and has been ranked in the top 10 throughout the season.

Rivers ended the regular season averaging 8.5 points and 1.9 steals, which ranks ninth in the ACC. The Wilmington, North Carolina, native scored a season-high 22 points in a key nonconference victory at Iowa in early December. Against conference opponents, Rivers averages 2.2 steals per contest to rank fourth in the ACC. Rivers joins Diamond Johnson (2022) and Bonae Holston (2009) as NC State players to receive Sixth Player of the Year honors.

Timpson averaged 13.4 points per contest and ranks 19th nationally in blocks per game at a 2.16 clip, bettering last season’s averages of 6.6 points and 1.0 blocks. The Edison, Georgia, native has posted 25 double-figure scoring games this season, including a career-high 25 points in a win over Miami on Dec. 21. Timpson is the first Seminole to win the Most Improved award since its inception in 2019.

The bracket is set for the 46th annual Ally ACC Women’s Basketball Tournament, which runs Wednesday (March 1) through Sunday (March 5) at Greensboro Coliseum. Tournament play begins at 1 p.m. on Wednesday with first-round action on ACC Network and will conclude with Sunday’s Championship game at 1 p.m. on ESPN.

2022-23 All-ACC Women's Basketball Team
Player of the Year: Elizabeth Kitley, Sr., C, Virginia Tech
Defensive Player of the Year: Celeste Taylor, Sr., G, Duke
Rookie of the Year: Ta’Niya Latson, G, Florida State
Coach of the Year: Niele Ivey, Notre Dame
Sixth Player of the Year: Saniya Rivers, So., G, NC State
Most Improved Player: Makayla Timpson, So., F, Florida State

All-ACC First Team
Elizabeth Kitley, Sr., C, Virginia Tech 1447 points
Olivia Miles, So., G, Notre Dame 1385
Ta’Niya Latson, Fr., G, Florida State 1304
Hailey Van Lith, Jr., G, Louisville 1156
Georgia Amoore, Jr., G, Virginia Tech 1083
Dyaisha Fair, Sr., G, Syracuse 1060
Deja Kelly, Jr., G, North Carolina 1037
Celeste Taylor, Sr., G, Duke 898
Sonia Citron, So., G, Notre Dame 878
Alyssa Ustby, Jr., G, North Carolina 710

All-ACC Second Team
Makayla Timpson, So., F, Florida State 700
Jewel Spear, Jr., G, Wake Forest 676
Diamond Johnson, So., G, NC State 394
Haley Cavinder, Sr., G, Miami 364
Destiny Harden, Gr., F, Miami 326
Amari Robinson, Sr., F, Clemson 310
Camryn Taylor, Sr., F, Virginia 292
Maddy Westbeld, Jr., F, Notre Dame 285
Kennedy Todd-Williams, Jr., G, North Carolina 279
Taylor Soule, Gr., F, Virginia Tech 220

All-Defensive Team
Celeste Taylor, Sr., G, Duke 227
Mykasa Robinson, Gr., G, Louisville 195
Elizabeth Kitley, Sr., C, Virginia Tech 163
Makayla Timpson, So., F, Florida State 153
Dyaisha Fair, Sr., G, Syracuse 81

All-Freshman Team
Ta’Niya Latson, G, Florida State 374
Taina Mair, G, Boston College 251
Tonie Morgan, G, Georgia Tech 162
Ruby Whitehorn, G, Clemson 120
KK Bransford, G, Notre Dame 82

ACC Most Improved
Makayla Timpson, Florida State 292
Dontavia Waggoner, Boston College 160
Camryn Taylor, Virginia 86

ACC Sixth Player
Saniya Rivers, NC State 226
Lauren Ebo, Notre Dame 211
D’asia Gregg, Virginia Tech 119

ACC Coach of the Year
Niele Ivey, Notre Dame 211
Kara Lawson, Duke 142
Kenny Brooks, Virginia Tech 137

goforit77

PostPosted: 03/01/23 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kara Lawson was robbed by lazy voting...She should have been Coach of the Year and its not even close.

Ivey took a team that was preseason Top 10, and finished the regular season in the Top 10. Lawson took a team that was picked 7th in the ACC..... off of the radar in the preseason voting and led them to a Top 12/13 finish in the final regular season poll.

ND finished one game ahead in the standings, had a MUCH easier conference schedule than Duke. Duke was in the pod with State, Chapel Hill, and VPI. ND shared a pod with Boston College, Pitt, and Syracuse. Duke beat ND in South Bend, and ND went 0-3 vs the Triangle schools.

All with only 1 all conference player.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/01/23 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:
Kara Lawson was robbed by lazy voting...She should have been Coach of the Year and its not even close.

Ivey took a team that was preseason Top 10, and finished the regular season in the Top 10. Lawson took a team that was picked 7th in the ACC..... off of the radar in the preseason voting and led them to a Top 12/13 finish in the final regular season poll.

ND finished one game ahead in the standings, had a MUCH easier conference schedule than Duke. Duke was in the pod with State, Chapel Hill, and VPI. ND shared a pod with Boston College, Pitt, and Syracuse. Duke beat ND in South Bend, and ND went 0-3 vs the Triangle schools.

Ivey was a reasonable choice, but Lawson was a more reasonable choice for all the reasons you cite. Lawson did far more vs. preseason expectations, and did it with less player talent.
CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/01/23 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:

Some counter points:

Duke lost 2 of their last 4 games, including a 16 point loss at Va Tech. ND ended on a 6 game win streak. ND's last two conference losses (including the one to Duke) happened not only after Mabrey had her season ending injury, but when Ebo was also out with her "lower body injury". Duke went 0-2 in their home and home with their conference rival (granted, ND lost to that same team (UNC) on the road, but didn't get them at home). ND beat their conference rival (Louisville) twice, including when ND's star player (lead in scoring (prior to the game), assists, rebounds, and steals) went down right before the half.

Basically, IMO, it could have gone either way (Ivey or Lawson), and I wouldn't have really been that torn up if Lawson had gotten it, but the coaches chose Ivey. If they had chosen Lawson, then ND would have won the regular season without any of the "Of the Year" Categories (POY: Va Tech, DPOY: Duke, ROY: FSU, 6th POY: NC St. and MIP: FSU)

IMO, what ended up winning it for Ivey was the finish down the road, particularly winning at Louisville without Miles in the 2nd half.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/01/23 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
goforit77 wrote:

Some counter points:

Duke lost 2 of their last 4 games, including a 16 point loss at Va Tech. ND ended on a 6 game win streak. ND's last two conference losses (including the one to Duke) happened not only after Mabrey had her season ending injury, but when Ebo was also out with her "lower body injury". Duke went 0-2 in their home and home with their conference rival (granted, ND lost to that same team (UNC) on the road, but didn't get them at home). ND beat their conference rival (Louisville) twice, including when ND's star player (lead in scoring (prior to the game), assists, rebounds, and steals) went down right before the half.

Basically, IMO, it could have gone either way (Ivey or Lawson), and I wouldn't have really been that torn up if Lawson had gotten it, but the coaches chose Ivey. If they had chosen Lawson, then ND would have won the regular season without any of the "Of the Year" Categories (POY: Va Tech, DPOY: Duke, ROY: FSU, 6th POY: NC St. and MIP: FSU)

IMO, what ended up winning it for Ivey was the finish down the road, particularly winning at Louisville without Miles in the 2nd half.

I can agree with your reasoning of why Ivey was chosen over Lawson while continue to disagree with the outcome. What Lawson did this season was so HUGE, that the end of the season shouldn't have mattered like it clearly did. It's an award for the entire season, not the last week of the season.

~rAf
goforit77

PostPosted: 03/01/23 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="readyAIMfire53"]
CBiebel wrote:
goforit77 wrote:

Some counter points:

I can agree with your reasoning of why Ivey was chosen over Lawson while continue to disagree with the outcome. What Lawson did this season was so HUGE, that the end of the season shouldn't have mattered like it clearly did. It's an award for the entire season, not the last week of the season.[/

Exactly...the whole thing reeks of a popularity contest versus a performance based award.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/02/23 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="goforit77"]
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
goforit77 wrote:

Some counter points:

I can agree with your reasoning of why Ivey was chosen over Lawson while continue to disagree with the outcome. What Lawson did this season was so HUGE, that the end of the season shouldn't have mattered like it clearly did. It's an award for the entire season, not the last week of the season.[/

Exactly...the whole thing reeks of a popularity contest versus a performance based award.

It wasn't just the "end of the season"; Ivey dealt with the loss of a starting guard in Mabrey and the extended absence of her primary inside offensive force in Ebo (and Duke was fortunate to meet ND with both of those players missing but the game still came down to the wire). She worked around and overcame that adversity. And in that last game, her team lost the best point guard in the country and was down double digits on the road yet while playing three guards - a sophomore a freshman and a high school senior - won the game and the conference championship while Duke couldn't get the job done with its full roster at home.

You're only paying attention to the admittedly excellent job Lawson did and choosing to ignore the adversity Ivey had to overcome. And ND was only predicted to finish 4th in the ACC, by the way, not to win the conference.

The vote wasn't even close by the way. The voters recognized Ivey's accomplishment. Indeed, Lawson very nearly finished third; she wasn't close to first.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/02/23 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: