RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA Prioritization Explained

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/06/22 2:09 pm    ::: WNBA Prioritization Explained Reply Reply with quote

Wrote an article trying to break down the impending rules and answer the various questions that keep popping up around the subject. Hopefully clarifies some stuff, at least.

https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-prioritization-expained

PostPosted: 10/06/22 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overall I'm glad this is happening.

This is the part I'm concerned about:
"Any unintended side-effects? Maybe. All those midseason pickups we see every year could be affected. Any player 'who does not fully complete any off-season playing obligation' prior to the start of the WNBA season is automatically ineligible to sign at any point that year. So participating in a late-running European season, or the Mexican league that some players signed with after being cut this season, or even a random 3x3 tournament, could arguably make players ineligble to sign in the WNBA that year, even as a hardship player or on a 7-day contract. We'll see exactly how tightly the league applies that part of the rules."

I feel for the players who dream of cracking a WNBA roster but have to "settle" for playing overseas until a WNBA team actually decides to give them a shot. And even if they get a training camp contract, that's still not a guaranteed salary and they might get cut after two weeks. So the WNBA is saying, "Quit your job overseas and we *might* let you play for us. But maybe not. And even if you make a roster, you are will likely be taking a pay cut."

For example, these rules would have prevented Rebekah Gardner from playing for the Sky, since she wasn't with them until their second regular season game.

PostPosted: 10/06/22 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
Overall I'm glad this is happening.

This is the part I'm concerned about:
"Any unintended side-effects? Maybe. All those midseason pickups we see every year could be affected. Any player 'who does not fully complete any off-season playing obligation' prior to the start of the WNBA season is automatically ineligible to sign at any point that year. So participating in a late-running European season, or the Mexican league that some players signed with after being cut this season, or even a random 3x3 tournament, could arguably make players ineligble to sign in the WNBA that year, even as a hardship player or on a 7-day contract. We'll see exactly how tightly the league applies that part of the rules."

I feel for the players who dream of cracking a WNBA roster but have to "settle" for playing overseas until a WNBA team actually decides to give them a shot. And even if they get a training camp contract, that's still not a guaranteed salary and they might get cut after two weeks. So the WNBA is saying, "Quit your job overseas and we *might* let you play for us. But maybe not. And even if you make a roster, you are will likely be taking a pay cut."

For example, these rules would have prevented Rebekah Gardner from playing for the Sky, since she wasn't with them until their second regular season game.

Im still trying to comprehend everything , so would this not have any affects on a player like Maya Caldwell since she was apart of the dream training camp ? Then brought back multiple times ? Thanks for the Gardner comparison it kind of made things a bit clearer for myself. I think ... Laughing Laughing Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 10/06/22 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:

They wouldn't have applied to Gardner because she had fewer than three years of WNBA service. So this particular concern shouldn't be an issue.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 10/06/22 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe I should've reiterated it more often throughout the piece, but players with 0, 1 or 2 years of service in the WNBA don't fall under prioritization rules at all. So Gardner or Caldwell wouldn't have been affected. You have to be in the 3+ years of service group for any of this stuff to apply.

PostPosted: 10/06/22 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK thank you for the correction.

PostPosted: 10/06/22 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great article! We'll see how the game of "chicken" goes in 2024...

calbearman76

PostPosted: 10/06/22 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation.

The one change I would hope to see is that a player that is cut in training camp (regardless of years of service) would be allowed to play overseas (or in Mexico) while awaiting an offer from another team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: