RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaching rumors?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreamfan11

PostPosted: 10/05/22 7:04 pm    ::: Coaching rumors? Reply Reply with quote

What are people hearing about the open positions around the league? Dallas, Los Angeles and Indy - are teams going to hire re-runs, new-and-improved from the assistant coach ranks, former players with experience coaching, college coaches, or from the NBA or G-league? I have heard names like Katie Smith, Pokey, Christie Sides - not a great group IMHO. What are you hearing, and, who do you want where?

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/05/22 9:19 pm    ::: Re: Coaching rumors? Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:
What are people hearing about the open positions around the league? Dallas, Los Angeles and Indy - are teams going to hire re-runs, new-and-improved from the assistant coach ranks, former players with experience coaching, college coaches, or from the NBA or G-league? I have heard names like Katie Smith, Pokey, Christie Sides - not a great group IMHO. What are you hearing, and, who do you want where?

I haven't heard any news or rumors but I have a strong feeling that Nancy Lieberman will announced as both the GM & HC in Dallas while Greg Bibb will retain his position as President.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/05/22 9:22 pm    ::: Re: Coaching rumors? Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
dreamfan11 wrote:

I haven't heard any news or rumors but I have a strong feeling that Nancy Lieberman will announced as both the GM & HC in Dallas while Greg Bibb will retain his position as President.

UGH!!!

~rAf
ChicagoAnnie

PostPosted: 10/05/22 10:25 pm    ::: Re: Coaching rumors? Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
dreamfan11 wrote:

No offense to Nancy, but the league needs to stay away from fossils... That young squad does not need Nancy's old skool voice on the bench, sorry. Laughing

PostPosted: 10/05/22 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Carol Ross retired and out of coaching?

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/05/22 11:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What is Tina Thompson doing?

PostPosted: 10/06/22 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where's Micheal Cooper these days ? Dallas would be a perfect match imo but , im confident we do something and hire someone out of this stratosphere smh

PostPosted: 10/06/22 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Where's Micheal Cooper these days ? Dallas would be a perfect match imo but , im confident we do something and hire someone out of this stratosphere smh

I mean, you really should try something different. The last few coaches have all been W retreads that have gotten fired after a few seasons.

TDAO

PostPosted: 10/06/22 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

She's scouting for the Portland Trail Blazers:
https://www.nba.com/blazers/news/trail-blazers-announce-updates-to-basketball-operations-staff

johnjohnW wrote:
I mean, you really should try something different. The last few coaches have all been W retreads that have gotten fired after a few seasons.

Wouldn't Dan Hughes fall into that category? (And perhaps Gary Kloppenburg, so one way or another coaches with previous WNBA head coaching experience are responsible for three of the last five championships, with Mike Thibault also part of that group.)

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/06/22 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly do not want a first year HC , we are kind of in a tough spot as a winning franchise with a little momentum after the playoff win and home game. So we can either continue to rise with an experienced new HC or start from scratch and plateau back with a first timer HC . Tough part is the HC pool is not that strong with Candidates and most college coaches are not going to jump without a Becky hammon like investment in which I'm sure Bibb would not even think twice about doing . Cheap hire saves money in his eyes so at this point im not confident it will be a championship caliber hire . I would be satisfied if it were possibly someone like T-Spoon or Crystal Robinson maybe , but it's giving longshot for future excitement here in Arlington . Bibb is under the impression he can find a cheap hire and get results like Stephanie White or James Wade when he first arrived. Not going to happen , especially with the patience that has been displayed from this ownership group.

PostPosted: 10/06/22 2:58 pm    ::: Re: Coaching rumors? Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
dreamfan11 wrote:

UGH!!!

Just a hunch 🤓

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/06/22 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

I could be wrong but I think she's coaching at a Division #2 or 3 college somewhere.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/06/22 3:01 pm    ::: Re: Coaching rumors? Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
dreamfan11 wrote:

No offense to Nancy, but the league needs to stay away from fossils... That young squad does not need Nancy's old skool voice on the bench, sorry. Laughing

😆😆😆😆

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/06/22 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Not sure, but I think he's still living in Atlanta so he shouldn't be too hard to find.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/06/22 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Not sure, but I think he's still living in Atlanta so he shouldn't be too hard to find.

DFWub2018

PostPosted: 10/06/22 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I honestly do not want a first year HC , we are kind of in a tough spot as a winning franchise with a little momentum after the playoff win and home game. So we can either continue to rise with an experienced new HC or start from scratch and plateau back with a first timer HC . Tough part is the HC pool is not that strong with Candidates and most college coaches are not going to jump without a Becky hammon like investment in which I'm sure Bibb would not even think twice about doing . Cheap hire saves money in his eyes so at this point im not confident it will be a championship caliber hire . I would be satisfied if it were possibly someone like T-Spoon or Crystal Robinson maybe , but it's giving longshot for future excitement here in Arlington . Bibb is under the impression he can find a cheap hire and get results like Stephanie White or James Wade when he first arrived. Not going to happen , especially with the patience that has been displayed from this ownership group.

+1

Milks26

PostPosted: 10/15/22 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1st yr head coaches can also do the impossible in the right situation, but Dallas should stay away from that.

I think Plenette Pierson would get the unruly players in check - easy. Bibb also

Don't laugh at "DFWub2018" - I wouldn't be surprised if Nancy gets the job.

PostPosted: 10/15/22 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
1st yr head coaches can also do the impossible in the right situation, but Dallas should stay away from that.

Dallas has a knack for staying away from the right situation

PostPosted: 10/15/22 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Knowing Lieberman, we’re all going to get our wish that Dallas stops trying to force everything through Ogunbowale... because she’ll run everything through Mabrey instead.

(now with spelling variations)
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/16/22 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Knowing Lieberman, we’re all going to get our wish that Dallas stops trying to force everything through Ogunbowale... because she’ll run everything through Mabrey instead.

I *cringe* to ask for a specific definition of "She will Run Everything through mabrey" ... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/16/22 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:

I think Plenette Pierson would get the unruly players in check - easy. Bibb also

You may be onto something with Pierson, not certain about the coaching aspect but I wouldn't be mad if it happened but I 1000% agree with you that she would be the one that knows how to deal with Greg Bibb's ass!!!!

Howee

PostPosted: 10/16/22 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delisha Lachelle Milton Jones. Cool

PostPosted: 10/19/22 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

You may be onto something with Pierson, not certain about the coaching aspect but I wouldn't be mad if it happened but I 1000% agree with you that she would be the one that knows how to deal with Greg Bibb's ass!!!!

She'd fight everybody. LOL! Which just might be what this organization needs. Johnson was too passive - esp with the players.

PostPosted: 10/19/22 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

She'd fight everybody. LOL! Which just might be what this organization needs. Johnson was too passive - esp with the players.

This team needs no-nonsense role definitions and metric driven reasons for changing a player's role. A coach that knows how to bring the truth while defining exactly what a player needs to do to get back in the rotation.

For instance, I can imagine Becky Hammon telling Sydney Colson "you're not going to play much because the players ahead of you are better at everything but you'll stay on the roster if you keep cracking jokes and keeping everyone loose." Straight up just like that. I can see it. Syd knows she has a role on the team, draws a paycheck, works hard in practice to make the starters better and then does what she does best and crack everybody up constantly.

For the Wings, the coach says "Arike: watch ten tons of film and learn to take better shots (mandatory film viewing of every game Arike shot them out of the game), Lizzie: "grow 3-4 inches and you have your job back", Awak: "dominate in practice so your teammates know you can dominate in games." Also: Alisha: "you are the glue, keep it up," Charli "if you want to play in this league, then show it or leave."

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 10/20/22 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem hiring a WNBA coach is there's other attractive opportunities (Collegiate Coaching, NBA Front Office and Scouting) for prospective candidates. I look at Eric Thibault who should be the hottest candidate for any open WNBA head coaching job but why would he leave a stable situation with the Washington Mystics to seek something unstable somewhere else.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: